• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trying to rationalize getting a Pro, which PS5 games annoy you with poor IQ

brenobnfm

Since not only the PS5 Pro is super expensive, the PS5 is still a very fine piece of hardware itself and i have been satisfied with the image quality of the major games even on performance modes on a OLED 4k screen. I don't really care about 8k or full RT Gran Turismo when the original already looks amazing, i can wait the PS6 for that, but 2 releases from this year are making me fear for the games released from now on, because they're hard to look at right now:

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth = It's incredible how much worse the IQ is compared to Remake, i know it's a much bigger and more complex game but still, something tells me this is more of a bad job from SE than a PS5 problem itself, but it's unlike they'll ever revisit the old version and the game is already fixed for the Pro.

sony_playstation_5_vs_playstation_5_pro_upgrade_digital_foundry-jpg.webp

Difference here is just brutal

Metaphor = Looks absolutely rough on the PS5, especially on cities, jaggies everywhere, not sure if the Pro will fix this game (or if it will even have improvements at all) because it's not even great maxed out on a PC, but it's significantly better.

kImEMtA.jpeg
8rIHbRI.png

It's hard to notice from a static and small pic, but everyone who played know when the jaggies start dancing this shit is extremely distracting, especially on a big 4K screen.

Right now these are the only 2 games that interests me that maybe will be a significantly better experience on the Pro, and of course it's far from enough to justify the purchase, but looking forward, if this is the new way things are going to be done, it's going to be hard staying on a regular PS5.

Do you guys have other notable examples?

Last edited:
FF7:R the thread :messenger_grinning_sweat: That comparison shot is .......

and ofc Wukong.... probably Monster Hunter if Capcom continues with the incompetence they have demonstrated so far....

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth = It's incredible how much worse the IQ is compared to Remake, i know it's a much bigger and more complex game but still, something tells me this is more of a bad job from SE than a PS5 problem itself, but it's unlike they'll ever revisit the old version and the game is already fixed for the Pro.

Rebirth over Remake have to factor in the maps are ginormous compared to Remake with tons more geomtrey and variety. The character models are double the poly count over Remake according to DF, the entire party traverses with you at all times, including when on Chocobo's. So overall the 60fps mode was always going to suffer compared to Remake on PS5.

I'll be replaying it on the Pro next year.

Bernardougf

Since not only the PS5 Pro is super expensive, the PS5 is still a very fine piece of hardware itself and i have been satisfied with the image quality of the major games even on performance modes on a OLED 4k screen. I don't really care about 8k or full RT Gran Turismo when the original already looks amazing, i can wait the PS6 for that, but 2 releases from this year are making me fear for the games released from now on, because they're hard to look at right now:

Metaphor = Looks absolutely rough on the PS5, especially on cities, jaggies everywhere, not sure if the Pro will fix this game (or if it will even have improvements at all) because it's not even great maxed out on a PC, but it's significantly better.

kImEMtA.jpeg
8rIHbRI.png

It's hard to notice from a static and small pic, but everyone who played know when the jaggies start dancing this shit is extremely distracting, especially on a big 4K screen.

Right now these are the only 2 games that interests me that maybe will be a significantly better experience on the Pro, and of course it's far from enough to justify the purchase, but looking forward, if this is the new way things are going to be done, it's going to be hard staying on a regular PS5.

My rational is simple.. do I want to spend 750 dollars now and than in 4 years spend 750 dollars again for the ps6 ... and so far the answer is NOP.

It would be mostly to play old games.. nothing new on the horizon from sony outside GoY until 2026... and them it will be only 2 years for the ps6, my guess is that GTA6 will run like shit on the pro ... so my best bet is to wait .. get the ps6 and play the huge back catalog with better features... no point in getting games in the beginning of the gen anyway.

DonF

I play on a 55" 4k tv at like 2 meters of distance and im fine. I also play mostly Apex, a ps4 game. I've played FF:R and the IQ never bothered me while playing. I also played the demo of FF XVI and I noticed some slowdown but nothing worth $700

tmlDan

Games ive played on Performance that really needed the Pro, mostly cause the devs are incompetent:

Jedi Survivor
Star Wars Outlaws
Black Myth Wukong
Rise Of the Ronin

If i think of more ill edit lol

Sulaco

I have a good PC with a decent GPU (6800XT) that does everything well except ray tracing which I don't care about.

So for the most most part I'll be getting third party games on PC and I trust that first party Sony games will still look and run great on the standard PS5 with ray tracing turned off.

Zacfoldor

Wukong needs help badly.

I'm seriously hyped for Rise of the Ronin and Dragons Dogma 2 though. Those plus the new MH coming up will probably be huge upgrades imho.

I'm pretty sure Elden Ring will get a boost mode bump, hopefully to a locked 60. Rebirth of course.

Tougher to think of upcoming games I'm not hyped about getting bumps on the pro. Next year is going to be lit. Lies of P expansion for sure.

Not sure if Atlus/P-Studio could take advantage of pro in any way but I'll be there for it. Also, basically I have hope for my entire library right now, lol.

Last edited:

brenobnfm

Wukong. But I doubt it will use the Pro. I just finished it and they still haven't removed the ridiculous 45fps cap nor implemented a proper 30 cap.
FF7:R the thread :messenger_grinning_sweat: That comparison shot is .......

and ofc Wukong.... probably Monster Hunter if Capcom continues with the incompetence they have demonstrated so far....

Since Wukong is only digital, i'd say it's better buying on steam if you have the possibility.

i think image quality is not an issue, but some of these more intense games not holding 60 will be the only reason i get one
At least until now i think the PS5 has provided a satisfying 60fps experience for almost every game.
Rebirth over Remake have to factor in the maps are ginormous compared to Remake with tons more geomtrey and variety. The character models are double the poly count over Remake according to DF, the entire party traverses with you at all times, including when on Chocobo's. So overall the 60fps mode was always going to suffer compared to Remake on PS5.

I'll be replaying it on the Pro next year.
Yes i stated that, still i think the fucked up somehow, especially because the resolution of the game is quite high, so it's the TAA implementation.

Rise of the Ronin, 1000%.

I could really use some comparison shots of that one.

I honestly found the IQ fine on performance mode, but i didn't play much or compared with graphics mode, but it's a game already confirmed to be enhanced on the Pro.
My rational is simple.. do I want to spend 750 dollars now and than in 4 years spend 750 dollars again for the ps6 ... and so far the answer is NOP.

It would be mostly to play old games.. nothing new on the horizon from sony outside GoY until 2026... and them it will be only 2 years for the ps6, my guess is that GTA6 will run like shit on the pro ... so my best bet is to wait .. get the ps6 and play the huge back catalog with better features... no point in getting games in the beginning of the gen anyway.
I'm thinking similarly, but 4 years can be a really long time if you only buy full priced games in physical form, like me. It's tricky right now.

I play on a 55" 4k tv at like 2 meters of distance and im fine. I also play mostly Apex, a ps4 game. I've played FF:R and the IQ never bothered me while playing. I also played the demo of FF XVI and I noticed some slowdown but nothing worth $700
FFXVI is a good one that can heavily benefit even from boost mode alone.

Hrk69

Gold Member
Games ive played on Performance that really needed the Pro, mostly cause the devs are incompetent:

Jedi Survivor
Black Myth Wukong
These 2 games can't even be brute-forced on PC because they are terribly optimized.

I seriously doubt that a PS5 pro is magically going to solve this

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

My wishlist:
-Helldivers IQ is rough, performance is at the mercy of optimisation but some brute force could help.
-Destiny 2 at 120fps in crucible is the worst looking thing I have seen on a PS5.
-Tekken 8 could massively benefit from a res boost.
-Dead Space like tlou is way too soft compared to the quality mode and loses the next gen factor.

Sethbacca

I wouldn’t be surprised if this gen goes on a while just given all the cross gen we got at the start of it. You’ll likely get at least as much use out of a pro as the base ps5 especially if you plan to upgrade to the 6 well after launch, and if you average the cost out over the number of months you’re gonna use it, it’s kinda minimal. Especially if you do a trade/upgrade and fund part of the pro from your base ps5 proceeds. That’s all the justification one needs really but the real qualifier is if you have spare cash to outlay in the first place.

Last edited:

nikos

Almost every game I played bothered me in some way. Nothing worse than having to choose between image quality and performance.

Which is why I barely used and eventually got rid of my PS5. If I played on console more these days, having a Pro would be necessary.

Kangx

Silent Hill 2 look awful too. UE5 plus FSR on ps5 is like the marriage in hell.

In the dynamic 1080p performance mode, outdoor the frame rates tanked, it go from 45 to 60. It also lacking lumen compare to the fidelity mode.

FF7: Rebirth, can't wait to see the PS5 Pro enhancements in person.

Interested to see how much better will Black Myth: Wukong and Space Marine 2 will look as well.

Fbh

I mean if you want to play at 60fps with decent IQ and you can afford it then a pro absolutely makes sense.
It's a shame but performance modes have been getting rougher once we moved past the cross gen period. Lots of games dropping to Ps3 era resolutions at times (yeah yeah I know with upscaling it doesn't look as bad as native 720p, but it's still pretty awful and full of artifacting).

And it's only going to get worse as we get more UE5 games towards the end of the gen.

Evil West is 1080p native on performance mode on consoles iirc so it far from the first game i would say, while not optimal it was very solid on PS5, newer games need it more.

Evil West is like Rebirth in that I don't know what they are doing to the image but somehow it looks blurrier than the resolution would suggest.
Like Rebirth supposedly runs at an average of 1152p but somehow the image looks sub 1080p to me.

Bernardougf

Since Wukong is only digital, i'd say it's better buying on steam if you have the possibility.

At least until now i think the PS5 has provided a satisfying 60fps experience for almost every game.

Yes i stated that, still i think the fucked up somehow, especially because the resolution of the game is quite high, so it's the TAA implementation.

I honestly found the IQ fine on performance mode, but i didn't play much or compared with graphics mode, but it's a game already confirmed to be enhanced on the Pro.

I'm thinking similarly, but 4 years can be a really long time if you only buy full priced games in physical form, like me. It's tricky right now.

FFXVI is a good one that can heavily benefit even from boost mode alone.
Yeah... if you are a day one guy that play a lot of games at the same time than you will benefit more than me ... another thing is that in my country selling used consoles is not easy and there's no exchange programs.. so I have to take this into account.

kImEMtA.jpeg
8rIHbRI.png

Most

I mean if you want to play at 60fps with decent IQ and you can afford it then a pro absolutely makes sense.
It's a shame but performance modes have been getting rougher once we moved past the cross gen period. Lots of games dropping to Ps3 era resolutions at times (yeah yeah I know with upscaling it doesn't look as bad as native 720p, but it's still pretty awful and full of artifacting).

And it's only going to get worse as we get more UE5 games towards the end of the gen.

Evil West is like Rebirth in that I don't know what they are doing to the image but somehow it looks blurrier than the resolution would suggest.
Like Rebirth supposedly runs at an average of 1152p but somehow the image looks sub 1080p to me.
Didn't bother me so much, but to me a game like Guardians of the Galaxy performance mode which is also 1080p was good, not great but definitely solid coupled with smooth 60fps was a good experience. I wonder if a game like Evil West even gonna see any improvement as it's a native 1080p iirc so seems not possible if not patched, and does anyone even care about it lol.

Since TLOU2, RDR 2 and Death Stranding look and feel great on PS4, there's no excuse for devs to make graphically average games look bad on PS5. PS5 Pro shouldn't be the fix to that problem.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The only one I've played where it was an issue for me was FF XVI where the resolution notably dropped when battle started and framerate was unstable outside of battle. I know there was some patching but I haven't been motivated to get back to it. Im hoping that the PS5 Pro brute forces anything that remains into an ideal experience.

Ps6 isn’t going to be $750 😂

Killer8

Rise of the Ronin. I can kind of salvage it visually with my TV's sharpening but the performance is dogshit especially in cities. Simply cannot hold a solid 60fps. I'd also like if they could push out LODs to reduce pop-in as you can have whole rice paddies manifesting before your eyes.

Sooner

I don't even care that much about that. But games like Dragon's Dogma 2, I refuse to play at 30fps.

Either way, I can't wait for my Pro to arrive next month.

Bernardougf

Ps6 isn’t going to be $750 😂
So you think that in 4 years they will produce a hardware thats is considerably better than the ps5 pro and sell it for 500 ? 600? ... even if this gen in 4 years this was not possible and thats why the pro costs this much, the base ps5 almost saw no discounts until now and even price incrises in europe and japan ? ...

The only possibility now of having 500 consoles is if the ps6 comes with 2 skus... one ps6 bearly better than the pro and one ps6 pro at higher cost.

but keep dreaming i guess..

Top Bottom