• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tsubaki's Sunday Service

Tsubaki

The best part about TFP is the Sunday Service threads. I got a chance to see & play a bunch of games this weekend, so I decided to give it a shot:

GBA

Bokura no Taiyou (Boktai) - quirky game with really nice visuals. It's almost like Metal Gear with a vampire theme.

Space Channel 5 - haha, cool port. Sure it doesn't stack up to the Dreamcast version, but it's very close in its attempts to mimic. audio isn't as good, but the sprites do a good job of capturing the overall feel. The timing is pretty spot-on too, although I think it does give you a little more leeway on the rhythm than the DC one does.

Dreamcast

Berserk - I played the demo before and didn't care. Now that I saw the anime, this game had a little more appeal. Typical hack 'n slash game means it's a yawner to me. I suppose you have more control with two different kinds of swings and the ability to jump, slide, etc. But not my idea of fun. Also, cinematics were half the game, so if you're not interested in the series or story, it gets tiring fast. Hirasawa Susume soundtrack is awesome though mmm

Shikigami no Shiro II - Very similar to the first, but this time your weapons don't have levels. Basically your normal vertical shooter with some gimmicks. First that you have two weapons - standard and shiki. Tap the fire button and you get standard. Hold it down and you get the shiki. In shiki mode, your "ship" is usually slower but you'll have some special kind of attack. Some shiki will home in on enemies. Others require you to aim bombs, absorb bullets, etc. There are 7 characters and 2 variations of each character, so you'll have a lot of variety to play the game with. Of course, another major gimmick of the series is that if you graze bullets or enemies, your shots will do a lot more damage. That is, the closer you are to danger, the more powerful your weapons become in that moment of close-danger. Not the best shooter I've played, but it's definitely fun.

PS1

Umihara Kawase - 2d platformer remake of SFC game where you use a grappling line (similar to bionic commando's grappling arm) to traverse the levels. it involves a lot of technique with knowing where to grapple, knowing when to let go so you can make your jumps, and some new tricks that Bionic Commando could never do. very cool game.

PS2

Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter - Woo! After hearing it often-praised by the hardcore, I finally got to try it. I was really surprised that they used the elements that Sakura Taisen 3 introduced to the strategy genre. Of course BoF5DQ is far more of a serious strategy game, with more nuances to it. Anything that takes what ST3 did and improves on it is a winner in my book. I'd love to play more.

Gitaroo Man - awesome rhythm game. great music. about average gameplay for the genre, which means not bad at all. but it's also got quirky humor. overall, a nice package.

Hippa Linda (Stretch Panic) - Very strange... The gameplay mechanic of using the hand to stretch things is pretty neat, but at the same time, from what I've played, there's not much to do other than clearing rooms of the enemies and moving on. There doesn't seem to be much variety. Maybe Treasure should stick to 2d.

Klonoa 2 - I've always heard this series being referred to as a puzzle-platformer. I didn't quite understand til I saw it in action. Very cool. Perhaps Namco has some talent after all.

Unlimited Saga - Eh. I don't understand why this is an often despised title. It's no worse than other Square titles that everyone gushes over. The changes to the system where everything is done by slotmachine is just another way to display what happens in most jRPGs. But US is also not any better than usual Square stuff, so I didn't care for it.

Venus & Braves - Not impressed. I don't mind the low-budget feel of it (reminds me of Gust games), but the gameplay is not my cup of tea. In this game, you set your AI strategies in menus in field mode. So when you actually enter a battle, you more or less just sit back and watch the battles play out. It's very much like Ogre Battle in that regard, except that there are 3 battle lines and you do have control of line rotation. Since the enemy can only attack the first row or two, then there's a little strategy there. But I don't like how battles are not dynamic. Instead you just pre-set what you will do and your orders will execute in precisely the same way every battle after that.

Zero: Akai Chou (Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly) - I've heard that the Zero/FF games were the scariest games out there. I didn't have access to the original, but I lept at the chance to play this one. OMG... it is FREAKY! I was truly creeped out by playing it. The dark eerie visuals, the brief flashes of disturbing imagery that linger in your mind, the scratchy, whispery audio, and the pulsating dual shock controller all contribute to its ambiance. I love the way that it has the best elements of Japanese horror films. But it freaked me out more than any jHorror movie I've seen. As far as experience-gaming goes, this one's unrivaled.

Edit: Added Klonoa 2 and Hippa Linda

To the unfamiliar: the "sunday service" is a tradition that started over at The Fanitsu Project where people check in with impressions of what they've been playing for the past week. I've seen similar threads here, but they're never regular and always contain too many uncommented lists. So, on to mine:

PS2:

Katamari Damacy - Didn't play as much of this as in the previous week, but I'm still enjoying it. I tried and tried to get up past those giant cones on the bear stage so that I had a chance at the huge bear balloon, but after rolling over that damned bear carving for the fiftieth time, I'd had enough. I'll be back for it, I promise.

Shadow Hearts - This game is a great sleep aid for me. I think it's mostly the music that causes that - it's too relaxing. I'm at roughly the halfway point, and so far the game is divided pretty evenly between interesting story elements (which get more interesting as the story gets more political) and bog-standard C-grade RPG dreck (which is only made more frustrating by the judgement ring); cool occult vignettes and too many assets that they didn't bother to improve from the game's previous state as a PS1 game. I think I'm about done with it, as the Mid-Game Fake Final Boss Fight (tm) with its idiotic attrition-based strategy (aren't we past this yet? oh wait, Xenosaga Ep2 came out recently, so I guess not) is more than I care to bother with. I'll rely on SH2 to fill me in on the bits of story that I missed, and at least the SH1 savedata should get me that certain extra goodie.

PC Engine:

Ys III - Currently playing the US version of this. God, what awful voice acting. It makes the original Resident Evil sound good. The game itself is just okay, and doesn't play anywhere near as tightly as Ys I-II (or Zelda II, for a fair black-sheep comparison). I'm mostly playing it for the music, which is excellent as always for Falcom. ~.~

Bebpo

Banned
kpop100 said:
while we're at it

Berserk (PS2) >>>>>>> Berserk (DC)

Yes! The PS2 version is much more polished and fun IMO.

spOrsk said:
the music in berserk ps2 puts me to sleep. really boring game :/

;_; I love the music in the PS2 one. It makes killing for hours on end a pleasant experience.

BenT

Ugh, "sunday service." Maybe we could think of a GA name for it that's not quite so ... something? I dunno, never liked that name. Or a lot of TFP things. :p

Top Bottom