• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Turkey asks Germany to prosecute comedian over Erdoan poem"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMaRsu

Apparently in order to try to appease the Turkish government 

WHAT. wtf is Merkel doing she shouldnt even have responded to this idiot Erdogan who cant take a joke.. Jesus and now a comedian could be sentenced to three years in jail what the f has the euro world come to

cyba89

The most terrible thing about this whole scandal is that Böhmermann had to cancel his show for this week and probably next week too because of all the stupidly that is happening right now around it. Fuck this. I need my weekly Neo Magazine dose. Stay save Jan

Oh and btw fuck BILD

Sanft und Sorgfältig podcast also got canceled for last week and this week. :(

Kinyou

In the meanwhile a Dutch cartoonist proves Erdogan is not a goat fucker (slightly NSFW cartoon)

It got removed from Facebook for a while, but actually put back by them.
I don't think there's anything cartoonists like more than when the target actually gets mad. Erdogan pretty much put a huge bullseye on his head.

Can't wait for the shitstorm that ensues once Merkel says: "Yes sir, Mr. Erdogan, sir. Right away sir."

If she had any brains, she'd give the Sultan her ass to kiss.

We'll see.

The fact that this is even under consideration is crazy. Erdogan really has her by the balls.

Blablurn

Can't wait for the shitstorm that ensues once Merkel says: "Yes sir, Mr. Erdogan, sir. Right away sir."

If she had any brains, she'd give the Sultan her ass to kiss.

We'll see.

The fact that this is even under consideration is crazy. Erdogan really has her by the balls.
Yep

The wait for an answer is already super ridiculous

Infrastructure: They have stakes in construction companies so by constantly tearing down and rebuilding buildings they line their pockets.

Healthcare: They made hospitals eat the costs of health care, making many hospitals go out of business, or lower in price, then their interests purchased said hospitals, and threw in jail the owner of a private hospital for no real reason.

Unemployment was actually pretty high. They sold many companies that were traditionally Turkish to foreign interests reducing the country's autonomy.

Erdogan was arrested decades ago for inciting religious hatred. He did prison time. He was always a religious nut.

Your post is full of ridiculous spin. There's more I could deconstruct but it's so full of either ignorance or bias that I just don't know where to begin.

No bias here, in fact I never voted AKP. I'm just providing the gist of why Turks keeping voting him in.

NeoRausch

Neo Magazin Royal just posted the newest "Das Urteil"

Normally this is just Jan sitting on an old couch and reacting to reaction (Facebook/Twitter/general media) of the last episode.

Since this weeks episode was cancelled.... Well see for yourself.

https://youtu.be/Azg9svmgGqY

Boem

In the meanwhile a Dutch cartoonist proves Erdogan is not a goat fucker (slightly NSFW cartoon)

It got removed from Facebook for a while, but actually put back by them.

Yeah, they talked about it last night on pretty much the biggest talkshow here in the Netherlands, on a public channel as well (meaning that the government pays for it). They had that cartoon up on big screens for the duration. Same happened back with the Charlie Hebdo thing - I know they wouldn't even show the covers/cartoons on the news or talkshows in some other countries, but here they'll just show what the issue is about and talk about it like adults. I prefer it that way.

I don't believe he'll go to prison, no matter how much I dislike Merkel. Not just the public in Germany but in the Netherlands as well (and probably other EU countries, no idea how big the story is there) will go apeshit. Someone being imprisoned over something like this in the Germany of 2016 is just unthinkable.

Maedre

Banned
Cf3NhvwWEAAIJKs.jpg

right next to the turkish embassy :D

extra 3 has been very provocative before, I'm not surprised at this.
I remember one time when China's president (I think) came to Germany, one of extra 3's presenters went there and offered a gift, which was one of those waving lucky cat figurines holding a club and he said something that it was "to represent how you beat down protests and human rights".

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Yeah, they talked about it last night on pretty much the biggest talkshow here in the Netherlands, on a public channel as well (meaning that the government pays for it). They had that cartoon up on big screens for the duration. Same happened back with the Charlie Hebdo thing - I know they wouldn't even show the covers/cartoons on the news or talkshows in some other countries, but here they'll just show what the issue is about and talk about it like adults. I prefer it that way.

I don't believe he'll go to prison, no matter how much I dislike Merkel. Not just the public in Germany but in the Netherlands as well (and probably other EU countries, no idea how big the story is there) will go apeshit. Someone being imprisoned over something like this in the Germany of 2016 is just unthinkable.

Remember that in 2008, a cartoonist was arrested and imprisoned for making a cartoon about the prophet (Gregorius Nekschot). It's not unthinkable.

Fuck, I just read we even have a special taskforce aimed at investigating possibly offensive cartoons.

Moff

People keep forgetting that there IS a law in germany that says you are not allowed to insult officials of other countries. This is on top of the usual laws that keep people from publicly smear and insult each other. There absolutely is a basis for these accusations, Böhmermann also knew about that and willingly broke these laws.

Nibel

People keep forgetting that there IS a law in germany that says you are not allowed to insult officials of other countries. This is on top of the usual laws that keep people from publicly smear and insult each other. There absolutely is a basis for these accusations, Böhmermann also knew about that and willingly broke these laws.

That law is outdated and ridiculous

Besides, you ignore the entire context around that poem like everybody does who doesn't understand what's actually going on

Next

Maedre

Banned

yeah but this law has its root in the 19th century Kaierreich and is laughable. This whole situation is turning into some kind of pan-european artwork.

Imagine if that law was strictly applied during the Bush presidency.

Moff

That law is outdated and ridiculous

Besides, you ignore the entire context around that poem like everybody does who doesn't understand what's actually going on

Next

What makes you think I ignore that? I loved the poem and pretty much everything Böhmermann did.
But that doesn't change that this law is in place.

wrowa

Imagine if that law was strictly applied during the Bush presidency.

Bush didn't sue, Erdogan did.

Law is law, it doesn't matter that it's outdated. It exists and as long as it exists, Erdogan has the right to sue someone based on this law.

Whether or not Böhmermann's poem is protected by the freedom of arts or an insult against the law is then up to a court to decide. (The verdict likely being that, nope, Böhmermann did nothing wrong; worst case a judge will say that he despite his intentions he went a bit too far, which will end up with Böhmermann having to pay a bit of money).

Whether or not the government agrees to the "insult against a state president" lawsuit doesn't even matter
much, since the general lawsuit for insult won't be affected by that decision. Böhmermann could still go to prison based on that. But he won't.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Whether or not the government agrees to the "insult against a state president" lawsuit doesn't even matter
much, since the general lawsuit for insult won't be affected by that decision. Böhmermann could still go to prison based on that. But he won't.

Of course it matters. When the polnisch government complained they said immeadiatly fuck you, that is ok, we have freedom of speech here. This isnt the case here, because Merkel is afraid that Erdogan stops doing his part in the refugee deal.

Maedre

Banned
Of course it matters. When the polnisch government complained they said immeadiatly fuck you, that is ok, we have freedom of speech here. This isnt the case here, because Merkel is afraid that Erdogan stops doing his part in the refugee deal.

exactly and that is something i despise of Merkel.

Binabik15

What makes you think I ignore that? I loved the poem and pretty much everything Böhmermann did.
But that doesn't change that this law is in place.

Well, if he had to go to court and got sentenced that law probably wouldn't survive a challenge in the BVG if push came to shove.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
exactly and that is something i despise of Merkel.

But she can only lose in that situation.
Does she fuck you to Erdogan, the difficult outworked refugee deal is about to fail, does she say nothing, she is about to betray the european values, what also could backfire.

In booth cases, the AfD could gain support, it only helps that Böhmermann is one of the kind of people, AfD supports want to see in jail/labeled as Vaterlandsverräter.

Oh, well, I guess insane speech restrictions are okay then.

Depends what you call insane freedom of speech restrictions, I am ok with laws against denying the Holocaust and similar things.

But of course this is a point of view, like I think that the US have awfully insane work and financial laws and dont let us start on gun laws or stuff like health care.

Maedre

Banned
But she can only lose in that situation.
Does she fuck you to Erdogan, the difficult outworked refugee deal is about to fail, does she say nothing, she is about to betray the european values, what also could backfire.

In booth cases, the AfD could gain support, it only helps that Böhmermann is one of the kind of people, AfD supports want to see in jail/labeled as Vaterlandsverräter.

you are right, but she lost so much integrity!

klonere

Banned
Merkel better start cooperating with the man who is taking away all the scary brown people! I hope she apologizes on behalf of the entirety of Europe, I don't want those darkies in my neighbourhood.

Maybe next she'll start talking Armenian statehood and the trouble that causes.....

scamander

Banned
Oh, well, I guess insane speech restrictions are okay then.

I was responding to a drive-by shit post, that implied US laws are superior. Well, tough shit, they are not- in many, many ways. Especially, if you consider this is an outdated law that hasn't been in use for many decades- just like some crazy laws in the US. I didn't say or indicate, that "insane speech restrictions are okay then", so stop putting words into my mouth.

Is this the "anger" stage?

No, this is the "adequate response to drive-by shit posts" stage.

wrowa

That's not what I was talking about, though. My post was in context of the potential consequences for Böhmermann and in that regard this case will go to court either way. The fundamental question of "Is his poem protected by the freedom of arts / speech?" will have to get anwsered by court either way and in both cases the worst case will realistically him having to pay a fine.

benjipwns

Banned
I was responding to a drive-by shit post, that implied US laws are superior. Well, tough shit, they are not- in many, many ways. Especially, if you consider this is an outdated law that hasn't been in use for many decades- just like some crazy laws in the US. I didn't say or indicate, that "insane speech restrictions are okay then", so stop putting words into my mouth.
Sorry, I was just responding to a post that implied a tu quoque.

oti

Banned
I don't always agree with her but I respect Merkel. She'll do the right thing and tell Erdogan to back off. However, law is law. She can't stop his personal lawsuit against Boehmermann and no one can expect that from her. I wish she had already done so though, this is not the time for merkeling.

I hate that Europe is dependent on Turkey in the refugee situation.

diffusionx

Gold Member

I guess that's some of that European freedom of speech people are so proud of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom