• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turkey is a democracy confirmed. Government loses majority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a strange opinion. Yes, he ended the political control of the military and that was necessary. However, he's an autocratic leader willing to change the constitution to ensure his power and he's capable of shutting down everything which doesn't apply to his ideology. The choice shouldn't be between an undemocratic leader and an undemocratic military of the past. Furthermore the economical boom is over. The Turkish currency is losing its value, a lot of investors are backtracking, etc. . Economical reformations were created before Erdogans time but he realised them and that was his achievement, I give him credit for this. But it remains a mystery for me why one would support a government which is willing to shit on your individual rights just because they had (not anymore) some economical achievements.

Numbers do not lie. I honestly will never understand the hate towards Erdogan and his party. He can change the constitution all he wants, as long it's done in a democratic fashion. They did not get the majority, fine I guess. I did not see Erdogan acting like a lunatic. On the contrary his party is fully accepting the results.

That's not exactly the truth. He doesn't want a presidential system like the one in the US . He wants to have a similar type of position yes, but he wants to have more power (Obamas power is still relatively restricted) and no limit for ruling. Obama will leave after this period, Erdogans intention is to stay till the very end. It's more of a Putin like ruling.

Nope. Please do some proper research. There is a reason why he failed with the elections today. Even some members of his party rejected this undemocratic transformation.

Yeah sure..

kess

History is loaded with people who overstay their welcome, I wouldn't be surprised to see Erdoğan fuck around with Davutoğlu the same way Thatcher screwed with Major.

Oogedei

Numbers do not lie. I honestly will never understand the hate towards Erdogan and his party. He can change the constitution all he wants, as long it's done in a democratic fashion. They did not get the majority, fine I guess. I did not see Erdogan acting like a lunatic. On the contrary his party is fully accepting the results.

Please tell me more about numbers (you couldn't even provide a single number here, I mean what do you even mean by "number don't lie" Just tell me your point) and your knowledge of Turkish politics. Erdogan is the president and not the prime minister of Turkey, yet he wasn't neutral a bit in the past weeks which is the constitutional obligation of the president in Turkey. He pretty much led the campaign single handedly for the AKP which is forbidden for him. Also I can't stand this kind of "he can make whatever he wants with the constitution as long as it's done in a democratic fashion" argumentation. I don't know why one wouldn't be able to see th e reason why this is a risky thing to say.
You did not see him acting like a lunatic? Have you ever seen one of his speeches? His party is not accepting this results. Did you even see Davutoglus speech at the balcony?
But yeah, go on and defend him without giving any real reason!

Aceofspades

Banned
I don't like intervening in other people/countries internal issues because I know there is smaller details/issues that only Turk people can solve, but I would like a Turkish person to answer my question.

It seems like there is serious hate for Erdogan in gaf but when I visited Turkey last year people liked him and the country itself was more progressive than I thought..so what gives, does the internet like exaggerate such problems?

if you are not Turkish please ignore this post.

Oogedei

I don't like intervening in other people/countries internal issues because I know there is smaller details/issues that only Turk people can solve, but I would like a Turkish person to answer my question.

It seems like there is serious hate for Erdogan in gaf but when I visited Turkey last year people liked him and the country itself was more progressive than I thought..so what gives, does the internet like exaggerate such problems?

if you are not Turkish please ignore this post.

There are several Turks in this thread, me included.

His party got around 41% so he's quite popular for some folks. But there are as much ( I would say even slightly more than his supporters, at least according to the election today ;) ) people hating him there. He is was leader of the conservative party and therefore his agenda is more religion in the country, more power for Turkey in general and basically a big fuck you to everyone who does not appeal to his ideology. Erdogan condemns homosexuality, alcohol and has a weird understanding of women rights (shouldn't laugh in public and behave better, shouldn't work in general and such things) and praises a religious form of government. I don't know if you have any knowledge about the history of Turkey but when the republic was founded in the early 20th century its most important principle was laicism. So there are lots of people mad because he wants to bring the religion back to the state which would be oppositional to this principle.
So there is that one. Additionally he has proven to be an egoistic autocrat striving for power. In 2013 there were riots against the transformation of the Gezi Park to a shopping mall. Erdogan wanted the police to be as hard as possible and they were (people died). During these weeks twitter was taken down by the government multiple times and other cases of censorship.
There was also this case of corruption in which Erdogan and his son were involved. Millions of dollars stolen. When the police and the lawyers tried to solve this case they simply got replaced to prevent any investigations. Several journalist are imprisoned too.
These are only some of the reasons though. If you want to have more informations I would suggest to watch some documentaries. There are quite a few good ones about people suffering repression in Turkey due to the government.

Yeah, there may be western countries using this shit to express hate towards Turkey but this is something different. This is not an exaggerated internet phenomenon, there are actually Turks who are really worried about the way Erdogan is leading the country.

oAKzgfn.jpg

Aceofspades

Banned
There are several Turks in this thread, me included.

His party got around 41% so he's quite popular for some folks. But there are as much ( I would say even slightly more than his supporters, at least according to the election today ;) ) people hating him there. He is was leader of the conservative party and therefore his agenda is more religion in the country, more power for Turkey in general and basically a big fuck you to everyone who does not appeal to his ideology. Erdogan condemns homosexuality, alcohol and has a weird understanding of women rights (shouldn't laugh in public and behave better, shouldn't work in general and such things) and praises a religious form of government. I don't know if you have any knowledge about the history of Turkey but when the republic was founded in the early 20th century its most important principle was laicism. So there are lots of people mad because he wants to bring the religion back to the state which would be oppositional to this principle.
So there is that one. Additionally he has proven to be an egoistic autocrat striving for power. In 2013 there were riots against the transformation of the Gezi Park to a shopping mall. Erdogan wanted the police to be as hard as possible and they were (people died). During these weeks twitter was taken down by the government multiple times and other cases of censorship.
There was also this case of corruption in which Erdogan and his son were involved. Millions of dollars stolen. When the police and the lawyers tried to solve this case they simply got replaced to prevent any investigations. Several journalist are imprisoned too.
These are only some of the reasons though. If you want to have more informations I would suggest to watch some documentaries. There are quite a few good ones about people suffering repression in Turkey due to the government.

Yeah, there may be western countries using this shit to express hate towards Turkey but this is something different. This is not an exaggerated internet phenomenon, there are actually Turks who are really worried about the way Erdogan is leading the country.

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this, very informative and nicely written.

Ophiuchus

Banned
I am in Ankara , the capital of Turkey, and I had chance to observe the elections.

They had 'local' election last year and it was one of the worst election according to press release.Actually the voting results ended in controversy and AKP cheated.It is now discussed in European Human Rights court and the decision is due this year (I hope).
And the youth learned many things from Gezi protests and past elections and they formed some teams (Oy ve Otesi) to prevent cheating and remind people of justice.

Overall, I am happy for Turkey.This country and its people deserve much better government and democracy.

I am in Ankara , the capital of Turkey, and I had chance to observe the elections.

They 'local' election last year and it was one of the worst election according to press release.Actually the voting results ended in controversy and AKP cheated.It is now discussed in European Human Rights court and the decision is due this year (I hope).
And the youth learned many things from Gezi protests and past elections and they formed some teams (Oy ve Otesi) to prevent cheating and remind people of justice.

Overall, I am happy for Turkey.This country and its people deserve much better government and democracy.

I like the name for Oy ve Otesi. It is a parody of Mor ve Otesi right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom