• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Pilots |OT| The Season's Dead, But Development Hell is Forever

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Shawn Ryan with the snark.

RoGyH2V.png

Did Keanu's Rain series ever get off the ground?
No. Not yet at least.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Drew Barrymore & Timothy Olyphant To Star In ‘Santa Clarita Diet’ Netflix Series

From the creator of 'Better Off Ted', comes Santa Clarita Diet. Joel (Olyphant) and Sheila (Barrymore) are husband and wife realtors leading vaguely discontented lives in the L.A. suburb of Santa Clarita, until Sheila goes through a dramatic change sending both their lives down a road of death and destruction…but in a good way.

A writers room for the series, which is expected to film up to 13 episodes, is up and running in preparation for a shoot slated to begin in mid-May. The series is set for a 2017 debut.

want want want want want

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
TNT Orders ‘Claws’ Nail Salon Dramedy Pilot From Rashida Jones & Will McCormack

Written by Eliot Laurence (Welcome to Me), Claws is a dark, wickedly funny meditation on female badness which follows the rise of five diverse and treacherous Florida manicurists in the traditionally male world of organized crime. We will soon find out there is a lot more going on at the Nail Artisan of Manatee County salon than silk wraps and pedicures.

Jones and McCormack executive produce, and Laurence co-executive produces the project, originally developed at HBO as half-hour.

YES YES YES

I was really looking forward to this but when HBO opted not to move forward with it (of course) I had given up hope of ever seeing it again. Based Kevin Reilly.

berzeli

Banned
‘Luther’ Creator Neil Cross To Write TV Series Adaptation Of Tom Ripley Books
The series adaption of Patricia Highsmith’s Tom Ripley novels has found a writer in Luther creator Neil Cross. The project has been in development at Endemol Shine Studios for the past year.
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

berzeli

Banned
Upfront time! Which means that there are some nuggets of news in an ocean of smug, self congratulatory bullshit.
Comedy Central has way too much stuff, click for the full list, I will highlight two things I either like the sound of or just find utterly bizarre (guess which is which):
Untitled Jessica Williams Project – “The Daily Show with Trevor Noah” correspondent brings her unique point-of-view to a narrative scripted pilot executive produced and written by Williams with Naomi Ekperigin

Germany (pilot presentation) – an animated series about a community of germs living in a Petri dish at the University of Berlin. Executive produced by and starring Channing Tatum, “Germany” explores the trials and tribulations of diverse microorganisms living in a microcosm of our world – complete with political scandals, climate change and vaccination deniers. “Germany” is a unique world in which both the laughter and the characters are contagious. The show was created by Aaron Karo and is also executive produced by Reid Carolin and Peter Kiernan through their Free Association banner.

Discovery Networks also has a bunch, I will just do the scripted stuff, full list at Deadline

HARLEY AND THE DAVIDSONS – Based on a true story, HARLEY AND THE DAVIDSONS will tell the story of how Milwaukee schoolyard pals William (Bill) Harley and Arthur Davidson built – and rode – the machines that rule the road. Beginning at the turn of the 20th century, at the shores of Lake Michigan, the series charts the birth of Harley-Davidson during a time of great social and technological change and tells the epic story of how two 19-year-old kids from Milwaukee started a company in their backyard that would go on to become an American legend. (Raw Television)

MANIFESTO – Ted Kaczynski, also known as the “Unabomber,” terrified the nation over the span of 20 years from the 1980s through the early 1990s. A new scripted series from Kevin Spacey and Dana Brunetti’s Trigger Street with the pilot script from writer Andrew Sodroski, MANIFESTO will tell the story of how the FBI brought down one of the most infamous criminal masterminds in the world from the point of view of an FBI profiler. The series will trace how FBI Agent Jim “Fitz” Fitzgerald challenged the “old school” ways with his radical new approach to intelligence gathering. Prior to Fitzgerald’s involvement, the profile of the perpetrator took a completely different direction. Fitzgerald had training as a profiler, but it was his focus on linguistics that became vital to breaking the case. He believed that the key to unlocking the true identity of the Unabomber would be found in the language of The Manifesto, a detailed account of some of Kaczynski’s plots. (Trigger Street Productions)

- HBO Orders ‘Sharp Objects’ Drama Series Starring Amy Adams From Marti Noxon, Gillian Flynn, Jean-Marc Vallée & eOne
Sharp Objects, the high-profile drama series project starring Amy Adams, which was taken out by Entertainment One and Blumhouse in February, has landed at HBO with an 8-episode straight-to-series order. Based on the book by Gone Girl author Gillian Flynn, Sharp Objects has UnReal co-creator Marti Noxon as showrunner, Wild helmer Jean-Marc Vallée as director, and Flynn as a writer alongside Noxon. I hear there was strong interest in the project, with Netflix going aggressively after it.

The serialized drama is an adaptation of Flynn’s 2006 best-selling debut thriller novel Sharp Objects. It originated as a feature at Alliance Films, where the book was optioned in 2011 by Blumhouse. The project morphed into a TV series as it was being developed at Blumhouse, while Alliance was acquired by eOne.

Sharp Objects centers on reporter Camille Preaker (Adams) who, fresh from a brief stay at a psychiatric hospital, must return to her tiny hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls. Trying to put together a psychological puzzle from her past, Camille finds herself identifying with the young victims a bit too closely.

Noxon wrote the pilot script based on the book and will serve as showrunner and writer. Flynn is set to write multiple episodes. Vallée will direct all episodes, just as he did on HBO’s upcoming limited series Big Little Lies starring Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon. He also will co-edit Sharp Objects.

Dan

Very interesting that they've got Jordan Klepper developing a late night talk show project.

I'm not really sure how Do You Want to See a Dead Body? translates into a full television show, but I'd be game simply due to Rob Huebel.

berzeli

Banned
I did a post over at the cancellations thread which was a bit more general, left the geekier stuff for this thread

If anyone would like to check out the things which may end up on a screen near you there is the Worldscreen magazine which chronicles most of what is being exhibited. Enjoy realising just how much TV is made and how much of it is junk.
For a slightly more curated look at what MIP offers; Drama takes centre stage in Cannes and Mip’s miniseries and serials. Over at Variety: "‘Roots,’ ‘Victoria,’ ‘The Collection,’ ‘Little Big Shots’ Set to Make MipTV Splash"

Some shows which I found interesting
Cineflix:
Leading Cineflix Rights’ scripted slate is Marcella (8x60’, Buccaneer Media for ITV UK), an original multi-stranded crime drama written by internationally renowned Hans Rosenfeldt, creator of the global hit The Bridge. Anna Friel (Limitless) stars as Metropolitan Police Detective Marcella Backland, investigating a serial murder case where the modus operandi of the killer bears a striking resemblance to an unsolved spate of killings from a decade before. The series also stars Laura Carmichael (Downton Abbey), Sinead Cusack (Jekyll & Hyde), and Harry Lloyd (Game of Thrones) amongst others.
I think this is the first I hear of this, sounds a bit blasé. But The Bridge was a major, major hit.
Gaumont International Television
The company is highlighting that title, along with Spy City, which Erik Pack, president of international distribution, describes as “an epic spy tale from the mind of William Boyd, the world-renowned master of the spy story.”
This was announced back in 2014, finally coming out it seems.
Content Television
Toby Jones leads the cast of another Content Television drama, The Secret Agent, inspired by a Joseph Conrad novel.
Based on the same novel as Hitchcock's Sabotage (the 1936 one) and with Toby Jones. It was apparently also announced in 2014 written by Tony Marchant

Oh, and some Canadian network announced their drama slate a couple of days ago. If someone cares. (you shouldn't)

Dan

Cineflix:
Leading Cineflix Rights’ scripted slate is Marcella (8x60’, Buccaneer Media for ITV UK), an original multi-stranded crime drama written by internationally renowned Hans Rosenfeldt, creator of the global hit The Bridge. Anna Friel (Limitless) stars as Metropolitan Police Detective Marcella Backland, investigating a serial murder case where the modus operandi of the killer bears a striking resemblance to an unsolved spate of killings from a decade before. The series also stars Laura Carmichael (Downton Abbey), Sinead Cusack (Jekyll & Hyde), and Harry Lloyd (Game of Thrones) amongst others.
I think this is the first I hear of this, sounds a bit blasé. But The Bridge was a major, major hit.
Starts airing in the UK/Ireland tomorrow. Netflix has quickly snapped up rights for it, and will premiere the show on July 1st.

berzeli

Banned
BBC Makes Best Possible Decision, Hires Genius Writer Jack Thorne To Adapt Philip Pullman’s Epic Trilogy ‘His Dark Materials’

EXCLUSIVE: Fresh from his historic triple nominations in three separate BAFTA TV categories last week, Jack Thorne has signed on to adapt Philip Pullman’s epic trilogy of fantasy novels His Dark Materials for BBC One. In its first foray into British television, New Line Cinema is producing the event series with Bad Wolf, a UK/U.S. production firm founded by Jane Tranter and Julie Gardner. The drama was greenlit by BBC One controller Charlotte Moore and BBC Drama Commissioning controller Polly Hill.
Holy shit! I've said this multiple times, but Jack Thorne is one of my favourite writers. This is excellent.

Sounds like something people on GAF will dig.
I've been aware of it for some time. Really curious to see if it will hit big. From what I've seen of trailers and such it looks like a fun dumb time.
Interesting. Might have to check it out then.

berzeli

Banned
Showtime Developing Cuban Missile Crisis Limited Series Based On ‘The Armageddon Letters’ Book
As U.S.-Cuba relations continue to improve following President Barack Obama’s historic visit, Showtime will examine a period when they were at the lowest: during the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962. The pay cable network has put in development a four-hour limited series based on the book The Armageddon Letters, by James Blight and Janet M. Lang.
It's set in the 60s and is a political thriller? I'm so i-
Phil Alden Robinson (Field Of Dreams, Sum Of All Fears) is set to write the adaptation and direct the potential limited series.
Oh. Please don't suck. Especially since I will be watching this no matter how it turns out.

- EW: New Law & Order series to tackle true crime stories
NBC wants its own American crime story.

The broadcaster is teaming with veteran producer Dick Wolf to develop Law & Order: True Crime — The Menendez Brothers Murders. The project is an eight-episode anthology series that aims to dramatize a true crime story each season. First up is the sensational case of Lyle and Erik Menendez, two brothers who were convicted of murdering their parents in Beverly Hills in 1989. The drama marks the L&O franchise tackling true cases for the first time.

NBC announced the drama the day after FX aired the season finale of Ryan Murphy’s similar drama anthology, The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story, which received widespread critical acclaim.

“We’ve been talking with Dick about how to create an event series coming out of the Law & Order ripped-from-the-headlines brand,” said Jennifer Salke, president, NBC Entertainment. “This case captured the public’s attention like nothing before it as it examined taboo issues such as patricide and matricide in gruesome detail, all against a backdrop of privilege and wealth. We will recreate the cultural and societal surroundings of both the murders and trials when people were not only obsessed with the case but examining how and why these brothers committed these heinous crimes.”

The Menendez brothers were convicted of murdering their parents and sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole in 1996.
That title is more of a mouthful than The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story

TheOddOne

- TVLine: Freeform is trying some stuff.
Of course, Tisdale’s spinoff is just one of many(!) new series in development at the network. Read on for a full rundown of everything else Freeform has in the pipe:

* Later Bitches, a half-hour comedic talk show described as “late-night talk meets Sex & the City.”

* The Deep, a supernatural drama set in the “mermaid-obsessed sea town of Bristol Cove; everyone’s lives will change when actual mermaids come ashore, causing sides to be taken, loyalties to be tested and a war between man and mermaid to begin.”

* Hunted, a drama from executive producer Mila Kunis which “centers on Valerie, who escapes prison to prove she did not murder her husband. While the police hunt for her and attempt to prove her family helped her escape, Valerie fights to exonerate herself – but is she really innocent?”

* Lore, a sci-fi drama about the “lone survivor of an ancient race of paranormal beings who is abducted and forced to put his extraordinary abilities to work for the government.” McG (Shadowhunters) will executive-produce.

* Misfits, a drama in which ” a group of twenty-somethings are exposed to a mysterious chemical, and subsequently develop peculiar superpowers,” based on the hit British series.

* New People, a dramedy about a “middle class family who adopted identical twin boys at birth. One is all boy, one grew up trans.” It’s based on the book Becoming Nicole: The Transformation of an American Family.

* Nine Years Under, a drama about a “law school grad who blows off the bar exam to take a job at a funeral home after the sudden death of her mother.”

* Rising, a drama “set in a low-income Latino neighborhood … told through the eyes of an 18-year-old girl destined for greatness.” Selena Gomez, Mandy Teefey and Aaron Kaplan are attached as executive producers.

* Alone Together, a comedy in which “two misfits from different backgrounds try to make their way into the vain and status-obsessed culture of Los Angeles. Along the way, they find salvation in their male/female, strictly platonic friendship.” The potential series hails from The Lonely Island’s Andy Samberg, Jorma Taccone and Akiva Schaffer.

* Made in LA, a comedy “centering on two friends who join their different skill sets to become fashion entrepreneurs.” Josh Schwartz, Stephanie Savage and Mila Kunis are credited as executive producers.

* Paige One, an Elizabeth Banks-EP’d comedy about a “children’s book author who hates children. Her life is turned upside down when her brother shows up on her door with his two young daughters.”

berzeli

Banned
I hope you like true crime:
Limited Series On JonBenét Ramsey Murder Case In Works At CBS
Sources tell Deadline that the network is in final negotiations with Emmy winner Tom Forman (9/11, 48 Hours, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition) and Critical Content to produce an unscripted, limited-run series on the JonBenét Ramsey murder case.

We hear the plan is for the series to air this fall, ahead of the 20-year anniversary of Ramsey’s death on Christmas Eve 1996. The project would re-unite original investigators, accompanied by new experts, to re-examine the infamous unsolved case. We’re told the series has the potential to become a recurring limited-run program with a different case each season.
I am confident that this show will treat the case with dignity and grace.

berzeli

Banned
‘Snowfall’: John Singleton FX Pilot Undergoes Rewrites, Cast Changes & Reshoots
Snowfall, John Singleton’s 1980s cocaine-epidemic drama pilot, is getting a revamp. Co-created and executive produced by the Boyz N The Hood director Singleton and Eric Amadio, the original pilot was written by Singleton and Amadio and directed by Singleton. The script has now undergone a rewrite by executive producer/showrunner Dave Andron, with Singleton and Amadio involved in the process. There will be casting changes and reshoots done by a new director, with a search for a helmer currently being conduced by Andron, Singleton and Amadio.
FX the next HBO confirmed.
Less snarky take; Hopefully this won't tank the show, was looking forward to how this one would turn out and as Deadline points out:
The Snowfall situation is not unusual at FX where some of the biggest drama series have undergone pilot rewrites, reshoots and sometime recastings, including Sons of Anarchy, Justified and Rescue Me.

Oh, and this is a thing:
Mel Gibson To Direct & Recur, Kurt Russell & Kate Hudson To Star In ‘The Barbary Coast’ Series For Mark Gordon Co.
The Mark Gordon Company has put together big TV series package The Barbary Coast. The series will be directed and co-written by Mel Gibson, with Kurt Russell and Kate Hudson set to star. Gibson also will have a recurring role on the series. The project is inspired by Gangs of New York author Herbert Asbury’s book The Barbary Coast, about the birth of San Francisco.
The Barbary Coast begins with The Gold Rush in 1849 which saw the biggest influx of gold-seekers, gamblers, thieves, harlots, politicians and other felonious parasites to the infant city. Thus arose a unique criminal district that for almost seventy years was the scene of more viciousness and depravity – yet at the same time possessed more glamour and intrigue – than any other area of vice and iniquity on the American continent.
Gibson - good director, awful person. So conflicted.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Less snarky take; Hopefully this won't tank the show, was looking forward to how this one would turn out and as Deadline points out:

Ooh, I wonder what kind of creative changes Justified underwent?
they added in Ava didn't they? smartest decision they could have made tbh

It sounds really cool to me so I'm looking forward to it!

berzeli

Banned
Idris Elba To Star In John Ridley Limited Series ‘Guerrilla’ For Sky & Showtime
American Crime creator John Ridley has teamed with Luther star Idris Elba for Guerrilla, a six-part limited series, which has been greenlighted by Showtime and Sky Atlantic. Set against the backdrop of the Black Power movement in the UK in the 1970s, Guerrilla centers on a couple (not yet cast) whose passion propels them into making the leap from political activism to radical militancy. Ridley has written most of the episodes and will direct the first two. Misan Sagay (Belle) also is working as a writer on the project, which is currently in pre-production in London for a late summer start. In addition to co-starring, Elba will executive produce the limited series through his Green Door Pictures.

A love story during one of the most politically explosive times in U.K. history, Guerrilla tells the story of a politically active couple whose relationship and values are tested when they liberate a political prisoner and form a radical underground cell in 1970s London. Their ultimate target becomes the Black Power Desk, a true-life, secretive counter-intelligence unit within Special Branch dedicated to crushing all forms of black activism.
!!!!!

berzeli

Banned
I know I've said similar things in the past. But sweet jesus what the fuck is Sony doing with Crackle now?
Virtual Reality is an interesting feature for content producers. But can it be a lucrative business for ad-supported media? Sony Pictures Television believes it can: Its Crackle streaming service will unveil at its upfront presentation today what it calls a “first ever” multipart plan for an ad-supported VOD platform to bring sponsors into the 360-degree picture.
Okay, went to some length in order to be able to say "first ever"
“We contemplated a strategy with the advertiser in mind,” Crackle GM Eric Berger tells me. It was a response to brands that “that have been coming to us and want to be involved” in VR.
One part of Crackle’s plan involves what it calls a VR theater. Those watching its shows through a VR headset will see programs as though they’re in a home or movie theater. When they turn their gaze away from the main screen they may see logos on the seats, or elsewhere.

The theater will open opportunities for buyers to insert their own VR ads.
Why...
Why would you watch something in a "VR theater" what's the appeal?
Why would you litter said "VR theater" with logos and ads? How does that enchance the user experience?
Crackle also will create its own VR content. It has ordered a VR special to be made from its stop-motion animated series, SuperMansion, from Bryan Cranston and Stoopid Buddy Stoodios. The service plans to produce “extra VR content” from other original series that advertisers can sponsor.

The initiative also includes a deal with LG Electronics to provide VR content for its new G5 smartphone
It will partner with Crackle to promote its original drama, StartUp, with Martin Freeman, to debut in Q3. Starting today the companies will show what they call “an innovative marketing program anchored by enhanced behind-the-scenes 360 degree footage taken by the LG 360 CAM.”

The plans are a bit of an experiment: Crackle will “try some VR with each of the original shows and see where it goes,” Berger says. He’s still developing measures of success, although he’s particularly interested in engagement.
So throw shit against a wall and see what sticks? Well, I guess it sort of is the official motto for Crackle at this point.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Ooh, this sounds great.

Boyd Crowder was originally written not to survive the gunshot in the pilot. But they decided otherwise after a positive reception to the character in test screenings.

Oh right, I forgot about that!

So throw shit against a wall and see what sticks? Well, I guess it sort of is the official motto for Crackle at this point.

Might as well...

berzeli

Banned
Are Sony actually trying to make Crackle a thing?
Crackle Greenlights ‘Snatch’ Drama Series Based on Guy Ritchie Movie
Sony’s Crackle has ordered a 10-episode, one-hour drama series based on Guy Ritchie’s 2000 heist movie, “Snatch.”

The free, ad-supported Internet TV network announced the new show at its 2016 upfront presentation in New York — Crackle’s only new original programming announcement, along with renewals of shows including “The Art of More,” Jerry Seinfeld’s “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee” and “SuperMansion” with Bryan Cranston.

Crackle positioned the “Snatch” series as being in the vein of “Fargo,” the TV series on FX based on the movie from Joel and Ethan Coen, carrying the spirit of the setting in the original feature film while “creating a new world.”
Huh. This sounds way too normal.
Crackle did not announce expected release date for the “Snatch” series or other details.
There we go.

They also released a trailer for StartUp, the tech thriller thing starring Martin Freeman. it looks gloriously dumb.

This has never seemed like a particularly good idea to me:

- Deadline: Superman Prequel ‘Krypton’ Gets Syfy Pilot Order, David Goyer Project Taps Showrunner & Director
David S. Goyer’s long-gestating Superman prequel Krypton is a go at Syfy. The cable network, which has been developing the project for more than a year-and-a-half, is finalizing a deal for a pilot order. Damian Kindler (Sleepy Hollow) has come on board as executive producer/showrunner, while Peaky Blinders helmer Colm McCarthy has been set to direct the pilot for Warner Horizon TV.

Goyer and Kindler are doing rewrites on the original pilot teleplay by Goyer & Ian Goldberg which was based on a story Goyer and Goldberg had penned together.

Based on DC Comics characters created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, Krypton is set two generations before the destruction of the legendary Man of Steel’s home planet. It follows Superman’s grandfather — whose House of El was ostracized and shamed — as he fights to redeem his family’s honor and save his beloved world from chaos.

berzeli

Banned
It's time for another instalment of Deadline's Very Early Pilot Buzz™ in which Nellie spends just shy of 800 words saying nothing.
Just to illustrate how awful (and how awfully written) the article is:
I hear solid early buzz on straight-to-series Wizard of Oz drama Emerald City. Of the rest of the field, I hear NBC may only pick up 2-3 new drama series, including the straight-to-series Taken prequel. Among the hopeful, Dan Fogelman‘s off-cycle NBC dramedy pilot 36 continues to be going strong. I also hear buzz about the Cruel Intentions sequel and the time-travel drama pilot Time. While Midnight, Texas‘ supernatural premise is being met with a dose of skepticism, its director Niels Arden Oplev has consistently delivered, most recently heming the Mr. Robot and Game of Silence pilots that went to series.
Super vague descriptions with a heavy dose of "I hear". Urgh.

berzeli

Banned
Showtime Nabs ‘Manhunt’ Comedy From David Caspe, Seth Gordon & Aaron Kaplan
In competitive situation, Manhunt, a half-hour series project from Happy Endings creator David Caspe, Horrible Bosses director Seth Gordon, Black List writer Jordan Cahan (My Best Friend’s Girl) and Life In Pieces executive producer Aaron Kaplan, has landed at Showtime for development. I hear the pitch, from Sony TV where Caspe and Gordon are under overall deals, has received a production commitment.

Written by Caspe and Cahan — who are lifelong friends, having grown up together in the Midwest — and to be directed by Gordon, Manhunt is an action comedy two-hander.
tumblr_mhdalzgBgP1qh01r8o1_500.gif

Dan

- Deadline: TBS Orders Pilot For Rob Riggle Sports-Themed Weekly Late-Night Show
The network has given a pilot order to Rob Riggle’s Sportsbook, a weekly late-night program showing the humor in the 24-hour digital cycle of sports, talk, news and entertainment, anchored from the “sports and entertainment capital of the world”: Las Vegas.

Riggle will host and executive produce the show, which aims to combine his love of sports with his comedy and improvisational skills. During the NFL season, he does Riggle’s Picks, an SNL-esque weekly comedy segment that airs on Fox NFL Sunday. (you can watch a music parody from one of his segments below)

Also executive producing Rob Riggle’s Sportsbook, which will film in Las Vegas, are Chris Pizzi, Principato-Young and IMG Original Content.
I don't particularly follow sports news unless a GAF thread catches my eye, but I would check this out.

berzeli

Banned
Sylvester Stallone, Antoine Fuqua Plot TV Series ‘Omerta;’ ‘The Godfather’ Author Mario Puzo’s Novel Funded By The Weinstein Company
In a blockbuster TV series package that will come to networks shortly looking for a series commitment, The Weinstein Company is fully financing a series adaptation of Omerta with Sylvester Stallone to play the lead role of mob boss Raymonde Aprile, the last great American Don and his anointed successor. The Magnificent Seven‘s Antoine Fuqua is directing. This is based on the final novel by The Godfather author Mario Puzo, and I wanted to get out in front of it because it’s coming together quickly. A pilot script and a bible is already in place by Justin Herber and Adam Hoff, and a writers room is quickly being assembled. A show runner and a female lead actress will be in place shortly. The networks will soon have their shot at it, with the expectation one will bite for a full series commitment.
Sounds promising at least, couldn't find any good info on the writers though.

Amazon In Advanced Talks For ‘Strange New Things’; Kevin MacDonald Directing, Matt Charman Writing For Left Bank
Amazon is in advanced talks to come onboard Strange New Things, an event sci-fi TV series that Kevin MacDonald is directing, Matt Charman is writing and Left Bank Pictures is producing. The project is an adaptation of Michel Faber’s The Book Of Strange New Things, which was critically praised upon its release in 2014, with the Guardian newspaper calling it, “astonishing and deeply affecting.”

Iconic musician Brian Eno will provide the series’ music and soundscape. The project, the first season of which is likely to be 10 episodes, is intended to be a returning series.

The story revolves around Peter Leigh, an English pastor who embarks on the journey of a lifetime into deep space that takes him light years away from his beloved wife, Bea. While the project’s scale is believed to be epic, described as “Heart Of Darkness in space,” at its center is a heart-wrenching love story of a husband and wife with the universe between them.
This is gearing up to be one of the most ambitious TV projects ever to emanate from the UK. Charman is the man with the golden touch right now, following on from his breakthrough work on Steven Spielberg’s Bridge Of Spies.
This sounds really, really good. In, for the soundtrack alone.

Stellar cast announced as classic novel Watership Down lives on with new mini-series
Produced and developed by 42 and Noam Murro, the show was commissioned by the BBC and is a co-production between BBC One and Netflix. The series will bring an innovative interpretation to Richard Adams’ bestselling story.
Beloved novel Watership Down will continue its adventure as today BBC One and Netflix announce the classic tale will be reinterpreted into a four-part animated mini-series set to air in 2017. The series will premiere on BBC One in the UK; and worldwide, outside of the UK, on Netflix.

Set in the idyllic rural landscape of southern England, this tale of adventure, courage and survival follows a band of rabbits on their flight from the intrusion of man and the certain destruction of their home. Led by a stouthearted pair of brothers, they journey forth from their native Sandleford Warren through the harrowing trials posed by predators and adversaries, towards a promised land and a more perfect society.

The series, written by Tom Bidwell (Bafta-nominated My Mad Fat Diary) and directed by Noam Murro (300: Rise Of The Empire), will star James McAvoy (Filth, X-Men) as Hazel, Nicholas Hoult (Mad Max: Fury Road, X-Men) as Fiver, award-winning Sir Ben Kingsley (Shutter Island, Iron Man 3) as General Woundwort, John Boyega (Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens, Attack The Block) as Bigwig, Gemma Arterton (Made In Dagenham) as Clover, Miles Jupp (Rev, The Thick Of It) as Blackberry, Freddie Fox (Pride) as Captain Holly, Olivia Colman (The Night Manager, The Lobster) as Strawberry, and Anne-Marie Duff (Suffragette) as Hyzenthlay.

The 4 x 60’ series is a co-production between BBC One and Netflix and produced by 42 and Noam Murro’s company Biscuit Films.

Uh, yes please.
Quite interesting to see the interplay between the UK networks and Netflix.

Courteney Cox Comedy ‘Truthing’ In Development At ITV With UK’s Big Talk
Courteney Cox is teaming with UK producer Big Talk and leading commercial broadcaster ITV on a new comedy project, Truthing. I’ve learned that while this is in the early stages, the plan would be for the Friends and Cougar Town alum to exec produce and star with a pilot to shoot in 2017. Fox recently gave a pilot order to Cox-starring comedy Charity Case which I understand will not be affected by the goings on in Britain.
British comedy writer, Mark Chappell, who co-created Will Arnett’s Netflix series, Flaked, and has previously worked with Big Talk on Jon Hamm/Daniel Radcliffe-starrer A Young Doctor’s Notebook, is penning the series for Cox.

Truthing (working title) is set in the Clear-Path Institute, a six-day healing retreat that promotes personal growth, transformational experience and inner well-being. It follows the valiant efforts of its charismatic American founder and leader as she struggles to enlighten a fresh intake of truth-seekers.
I don't know.

- THR: Elisabeth Moss to Star in Hulu Straight-to-Series Drama 'Handmaid's Tale'
The streaming service has handed out a straight-to-series order for drama The Handmaid's Tale, starring Mad Men grad Elisabeth Moss, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The 10-episode drama is set to debut in 2017.

Based on the book of the same name by Margaret Atwood, The 100's Bruce Miller penned the script and will exec produce alongside Daniel Wilson (The Handmaid's Tale feature film), Fran Sears (The Sophisticated Gents) and Warren Littlefield (Fargo). Atwood is on board as a consulting producer on the property, which was previously adapted as a feature film in 1990 starring Natasha Richardson, Faye Dunaway and Robert Duvall.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

The drama tells the story of life in the dystopia of Gilead, a totalitarian society in what was formerly part of the U.S. Facing environmental disasters and a plunging birthrate, Gilead is ruled by a twisted religious fundamentalism that treats women as property of the state. As one of the few remaining fertile women, Offred (Moss) is a handmaid in the commander's household, one of the caste of women forced into sexual servitude as a last desperate attempt to repopulate a devastated world. She is forced to navigate between commanders, their cruel wives, domestic marthas and her fellow handmaids — where anyone could be a spy for Gilead — all with one goal: to survive and find the daughter that was taken from her.

...whoa. I'm in.

berzeli

Banned
Seth MacFarlane To Create & Star In Fox Sci-Fi Dramedy Series For 2017-18 Season
Seth MacFarlane is set to topline his first live-action TV series. Fox has given a 13-episode straight-to-series order to an hourlong comedic drama series created and executive produced by the Family Guy creator, who is also set to star. The series is slated for the 2017-2018 television season, with a pilot episode likely filmed in late 2016, and the rest of the episodes in spring 2017. 20th Century Fox TV, where MacFarlane has been under an overall deal for a long time, is the studio.
Set 300 years in the future, the show follows the adventures of the Orville, a not-so-top-of-the-line exploratory ship in Earth’s interstellar fleet. Facing cosmic challenges from without and within, this motley crew of space explorers will boldly go where no comedic drama has gone before.
Well. Um.
At least it isn't yet another animated show?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ryan Murphy Anthology Series Feud Ordered at FX

The cabler has ordered to series Feud, a new Ryan Murphy-produced anthology series that will explore some of history’s greatest duels.

Per Deadline, the first eight-episode edition will star Jessica Lange and Susan Sarandon as Joan Crawford and Bette Davis, respectively. The cast also includes Alfred Molina, Stanley Tucci, Judy Davis and Dominic Burgess.

The first season will chronicle Crawford and Davis’ combative collaboration on the big-screen classic What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, which went on to garner five Oscar nominations.

That makes 3 Ryan Murphy anthology series on FX now!

berzeli

Banned
Hulu Orders Prehistoric Drama Pilot ‘Dawn’ From Hank Steinberg & Ken Nolan
Hulu is going back in time to prehistoric Earth with a pilot order to Dawn, a drama created and executive produced by Without a Trace creator Hank Steinberg and Black Hawk Down writer Ken Nolan. Maleficent helmer Robert Stromberg is set to direct the pilot for the project, which is assembling an international cast, with Fola Evans-Akingbola (Game of Thrones), Temuera Morrison, Carl Shaaban, and Matthew Hopkinson in final negotiations to star.
Set on an epic scale, Dawn follows a tribe of Neanderthals as they struggle to survive and hold on to their way of life after coming into contact with a family of Homo Sapiens. At the intersection of evolution and genocide, Dawn asks the fundamental question, what does it mean to be human?
k.

‘Darkover’ Amazon Series Taps Elizabeth Sarnoff & Patrick Macmanus As Writers
Elizabeth Sarnoff (Lost) and Patrick Macmanus (Marco Polo) have come on board to write and executive produce Darkover, a TV adaptation of Marion Zimmer Bradley’s book series, which is in the works at Amazon Studios from IM Global Television.

Launched in 1958, Darkover is a mix of fantasy and science fiction comprising 25-books which have been translated into 17 languages. Details of the TV series adaptation are sketchy, but it is described as an ambitious tale tracing the development of a civilization from its inadvertent founding on a distant planet by a group of human colonists through war-torn feudal ages to recontact 2,000 years later with their Earthly descendants.
Their credits do not boost my confidence in this.

Top Bottom