• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what kind of show is Southland? Is it a criminal of the week type thing, or is it more serialized?

It follows both detectives and patrol officers so the detective parts are criminal of the week, but the patrol scenes are more like Cops (series) with a dramatic flair. There are serialized elements in terms of the specific characters you follow and the situations they go through, just don't expect a season long cast of villains or something like that. There's a continuity, but it's a show about what the officers deal with day to day, not crafting some huge multi season investigation.

It's very raw, extremely well made, and probably the most underrated show on TV right now. Check it out.

Started season 3 of Mad Men. Is it just me, or is there a noticeable bump in quality? I'm way more invested in everything that's going on and way more interested throughout the episode than with seasons 1 and 2. Did I just get into it by season 3 or something?

stupei

Finishing up watching The Tudors via netflix streaming and largely felt compelled to post about it simply to say: I am genuinely a little bit upset that Showtime didn't give Sarah Bolger her own spin off to continue the story of Mary Tudor. As I get closer and closer to the end of the show, its a source of frustration to realize that this story won't be continued. Generally everyone has to be in agreement that the humanizing of Bloody Mary is the show's greatest accomplishment that doesn't involve nudity, right? She's so good and now she's relegated to a Shonda Rhimes show.

The world is unjust.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Finishing up watching The Tudors via netflix streaming and largely felt compelled to post about it simply to say: I am genuinely a little bit upset that Showtime didn't give Sarah Bolger her own spin off to continue the story of Mary Tudor. As I get closer and closer to the end of the show, its a source of frustration to realize that this story won't be continued. Generally everyone has to be in agreement that the humanizing of Bloody Mary is the show's greatest accomplishment that doesn't involve nudity, right? She's so good and now she's relegated to a Shonda Rhimes show.

The world is unjust.

I haven't seen The Tudors, but I definitely want to watch it sometime. Have you seen The Borgias? It's pretty good, and it looks similar to The Tudors.

stupei

I haven't seen The Tudors, but I definitely want to watch it sometime. Have you seen The Borgias? It's pretty good, and it looks similar to The Tudors.

I haven't, no, though I'm interested in it. It's not available yet on Netflix streaming and I don't subscribe to Showtime anymore. But you'd recommend it?

Tudors is very solid overall and not nearly as exploitative and trashy as I'd expected from what I'd heard about it. Sure, there's some of that, but there are also a lot of really nice things done with characters. The show is especially good at making you dislike a character only to make them incredibly sympathetic just before death. Sounds trite, I know, but it felt particularly effective here in a way many other shows just aren't as successful at.

I gave it a try because I was very interested in seeing Natalie Dormer before Game of Thrones starts up again. Wasn't disappointed by her performance in the slightest and now really look forward to seeing her take on Margaery Tyrell -- even though I still think she's too old for how I imagined the part.

Finished season 3 of Mad Men and holy heck at that finale. I need to start S4 right now just to see how weird and different everything is gonna be. Totally didn't expect that.

KevinCow

Banned
I've been watching the Star Wars: Clone Wars cartoon. The CG one, not the Tartakovsky one.

And it's actually really good. I don't understand it. They manage to take the world and characters and general story from the prequel trilogy, but make it all not suck. They manage to make Anakin an actually pretty likable character, but one you could also see turning to the Dark Side. They manage to take one of the most ridiculously forced fanservice retcons in the history of anything - everything involving Boba and Jango Fett in Episode II - and somehow manage to make a pretty good subplot about young Boba.

It's also shockingly violent for a kids' cartoon. You got dudes constantly dying in horrible ways on screen, getting lightsabered through the chest on screen, getting shot to death in cold blood on screen, getting executed or decapitated just slightly off screen, whatever.

I just finished season 2. Hopefully it keeps getting better.

Finished season 3 of Mad Men and holy heck at that finale. I need to start S4 right now just to see how weird and different everything is gonna be. Totally didn't expect that.

That is hands down one of the best TV episodes ever. It's about as tense and nerve racking as an action movie-I love how the entire episode is a race against the clock to get everything in place before Europe wakes up.

I've been watching the Star Wars: Clone Wars cartoon. The CG one, not the Tartakovsky one.

And it's actually really good. I don't understand it. They manage to take the world and characters and general story from the prequel trilogy, but make it all not suck. They manage to make Anakin an actually pretty likable character, but one you could also see turning to the Dark Side. They manage to take one of the most ridiculously forced fanservice retcons in the history of anything - everything involving Boba and Jango Fett in Episode II - and somehow manage to make a pretty good subplot about young Boba.

It's also shockingly violent for a kids' cartoon. You got dudes constantly dying in horrible ways on screen, getting lightsabered through the chest on screen, getting shot to death in cold blood on screen, getting executed or decapitated just slightly off screen, whatever.

I just started that show too but I'm on the first season still.

Just started Breakout Kings. Liking it so far. I enjoy shows like White Collar and Leverage a lot, and this is sorta in that vein... though it feels nastier since the villains of the week are murderers and rapists and just generally pretty monstrous.

Jme

Just finished Series 4 of Doctor Who. I only hear great things about Matt Smith, but I'm not sure how anything can top the ending of this season.

I guess I still have the 2009 specials before I find out though...

gdt

S2 was better than the first, but it had less Alice....so it comes out even. Maybe S1 being stronger because of more Alice.

Decado

Season 2 is the best of the first 3. The first 1/2 to 2/3 of S3 is pretty weak compared to the first two seasons, but the last 1/3 is awesome (on par with S2).

Haven't watched any of S4, yet.

Rokam

Just got done watching Life. What a great show, a shame it got cancelled after 2 seasons, but they wrapped it up. Can't wait to watch Homeland once it comes out on DVD, enjoy Damian Lewis.

Blader

Started season 3 of Mad Men. Is it just me, or is there a noticeable bump in quality? I'm way more invested in everything that's going on and way more interested throughout the episode than with seasons 1 and 2. Did I just get into it by season 3 or something?

The show does get better with every season, but you're also way more familiar with and invested in the characters by now, so of course you're suddenly going to be a lot more interested in the show.

Just finished season 1 of Sons of Anarchy, loving this show, can't wait to start with season 2.

Also finally got around to starting season 4 of True Blood. And can I just say what the smeg is going on???

Jay Sosa

Just watched the first 3 minutes of the latest Office episode.

Wow..just wow.

Also through with the first season of Doctor Who, good stuff.

Over spring break I had the urge to watch the pilot episode of Stargate: Atlantis – "Rising" – while telling myself that I would only watch that and not re-watch the entire series. By the end of the break I was on season four.

It's an under-appreciated sci-fi show I think. Rodney McKay makes the show worth watching all by himself.

Ranking the seasons:
1. Season 3
2. Season 2
3. Season 1

I haven't finished, but am on, season four. S4 was off to a rocky start after the show's two-part opener, but it seems to be on the verge of picking up beginning with "Missing." My favorite episodes so far are: "McKay and Mrs. Miller," "Common Ground," "Inferno," and "Sunday."

Been making my way through Frasier, watched Season 3 over the weekend. Hilarious show, it can stray a little too far into the awkward comedy area which I don't always enjoy but I've yet to watch an episode I didn't laugh at.

Also been watching a few eps of Cheers here and there. For a show that started before I was born it holds up surprisingly well, really funny stuff.

Hoplatee

Recently finished Pushing Daisies. Went into it knowing nothing about it and enjoyed it very much. Pretty weird style and fun idea.

Next up is probably Dollhouse. Heard mixed things about it so I am curious.

Krowley

Recently I've been watching a 30 minute Canadian comedy show called "Todd and the Book of Pure Evil" and it's really been kicking my ass in a good way. It's an extremely irreverent (violence, sexual references, cursing and etc) show about a heavy metal kid in high school and an evil book that grants wishes to students. It's sort of like a cross between Buffy, Bill & Ted, and Evil Dead II. The budget is minuscule, It's not especially mature or sophisticated, and the quality from episode to episode is not very consistent, but when it delivers, it delivers in a big way. There is actually quite a bit of decent old-school gore, and the show is full of movie references. I think a lot of GAFers would probably enjoy it.

FootballFan

One episode left of Spartacus Blood and Sand, man it really gets amazing as you keep watching. Started off as an okay but interesting show in the pilot, then it just gets better and better. Loving it and cant wait to watch the season finale.

sruckus

Just finished more Vampire Diaries. Season 2 episodes 15 (Dinner Party) and 16 (House Guest). Both made for some exhilarating TV, but I think House Guest is one of the craziest and most suspenseful tv show episodes I've ever seen.

I'm looking for recommendations.

It feels like I've run out of TV shows to watch. Here are a list of the shows that I've enjoyed (with a letter indicating just how much I've enjoyed them).

The Shield: A
Sopranos: B+
Six Feet Under: B
The Wire: A-
Lost: C+
Game of Thrones: B+
Firefly: A-
Buffy: A-
Angel: A
Homeland: A-

I've watched a bunch of others, but that's a sampling. I'm looking for something dark-ish, gritty-ish, and potentially (though not necessarily) supernatural/sci-fi. I've tried to get into Breaking Bad (watched S1 and part of S2) and True Blood recently, but I just couldn't do it.

I tend not to be able to get into British or European stuff. (Sorry.)

Any recs?

iammeiam

Any recs?

I'll second giving BB another go, if you can manage it, just because I think it's clearly the spiritual successor to The Shield. It's sort of like if The Shield had actually started during the time period in the season two 'Co-Pilot' episode, instead of starting with the event it did.

If you're willing to put up with some wacky in your sci-fi (think the campier earlier season of Buffy) Farscape might be worth a shot--it starts as pretty light entertainment, but gradually develops into a fairly strong series.

Also, if you were willing to try True Blood, have you given The Vampire Diaries a shot? (The best vampire show on TV!) The first few episodes are the CW-style blah-fest you'd expect, but then they drop the diary pretense entirely, turn into a Real Show, commit to an actual plot, and things get awesome. The series is astonishingly well paced, and manages to play fair with the audience by not stringing out any one mystery for longer than they should. Being on the CW definitely hurts the show's chances at legitimacy.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It feels like I've run out of TV shows to watch. Here are a list of the shows that I've enjoyed (with a letter indicating just how much I've enjoyed them).

[snip]

I've watched a bunch of others, but that's a sampling. I'm looking for something dark-ish, gritty-ish, and potentially (though not necessarily) supernatural/sci-fi.

Are you tied exclusively to Netflix or just wanting things to watch regardless of where it comes from? If it's the latter:

Homicide: Life On the Street
Profit
Wiseguy
Possibly Dollhouse since you liked the other Whedonverse shows.

And while you shy away from British shows, there's a good chance you might get into the numerous Louis Theroux specials. They're compelling, oddly humorous, sometimes dark and shocking, and always fascinating.

Give Breaking Bad another try. It doesn't get better than that. Also watch Supernatural and 24.

I'll second giving BB another go, if you can manage it, just because I think it's clearly the spiritual successor to The Shield. It's sort of like if The Shield had actually started during the time period in the season two 'Co-Pilot' episode, instead of starting with the event it did.

Alright. Fair enough. I've heard so many good things. And I was briefly hooked by the first season. I can't even remember why I trailed off. I'll jump back on and see what happens.

Also, if you were willing to try True Blood, have you given The Vampire Diaries a shot? (The best vampire show on TV!) The first few episodes are the CW-style blah-fest you'd expect, but then they drop the diary pretense entirely, turn into a Real Show, commit to an actual plot, and things get awesome. The series is astonishingly well paced, and manages to play fair with the audience by not stringing out any one mystery for longer than they should. Being on the CW definitely hurts the show's chances at legitimacy.

Part of my thinks that you've just got to be fucking with me. Haha.

But, honestly, in addition to fucking loving vampires, I've got a soft spot for teen romance. (I've watched more Dawson's Creek, Party of Five, The OC, etc., than I care to admit.) Bad teen drama is as bad as bad gets. But decent teen drama + vamps? OK. Haha. I'll do it. VD and BB it is!

Are you tied exclusively to Netflix or just wanting things to watch regardless of where it comes from? If it's the latter:

Homicide: Life On the Street
Profit
Wiseguy
Possibly Dollhouse since you liked the other Whedonverse shows.

And while you shy away from British shows, there's a good chance you might get into the numerous Louis Theroux specials. They're compelling, oddly humorous, sometimes dark and shocking, and always fascinating.

Homicide is fucking awesome. I couldn't get into Dollhouse. I've added Profit and Wiseguy to my "Someday" list. Thanks dude.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm looking for recommendations.

The Shield: A
Sopranos: B+
Six Feet Under: B
The Wire: A-
Lost: C+
Game of Thrones: B+
Firefly: A-
Buffy: A-
Angel: A
Homeland: A-

I've watched a bunch of others, but that's a sampling. I'm looking for something dark-ish, gritty-ish, and potentially (though not necessarily) supernatural/sci-fi. I've tried to get into Breaking Bad (watched S1 and part of S2) and True Blood recently, but I just couldn't do it.

Why did you stop watching Breaking Bad?

Maybe check out:

Oz (for dark and gritty)
Deadwood (more gritty)
Carnevale (supernatural-ish)

sruckus

But, honestly, in addition to fucking loving vampires, I've got a soft spot for teen romance. (I've watched more Dawson's Creek, Party of Five, The OC, etc., than I care to admit.) Bad teen drama is as bad as bad gets. But decent teen drama + vamps? OK. Haha. I'll do it. VD and BB it is

You won't regret it. You're just going to be Addicted to yet another show. My Netflix queue gets infinitely larger everyday. Don't know how I'll ever get through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom