• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for recommendations.

It feels like I've run out of TV shows to watch. Here are a list of the shows that I've enjoyed (with a letter indicating just how much I've enjoyed them).

The Shield: A
Sopranos: B+
Six Feet Under: B
The Wire: A-
Lost: C+
Game of Thrones: B+
Firefly: A-
Buffy: A-
Angel: A
Homeland: A-

I've watched a bunch of others, but that's a sampling. I'm looking for something dark-ish, gritty-ish, and potentially (though not necessarily) supernatural/sci-fi. I've tried to get into Breaking Bad (watched S1 and part of S2) and True Blood recently, but I just couldn't do it.

I tend not to be able to get into British or European stuff. (Sorry.)

Any recs?

Not all that gritty, but if you enjoyed Firefly and want some more Nathan Fillion in your life, you should look into Castle.

Also, I'd recommend Justified. More gritty and serious, but there is some levity to most episodes. The violence is quick and often a little shocking (mostly due to how sudden it can be) and, beyond episodes 3-5ish, the villains are really well realized. Plus Timothy Olyphant is a badass and absolutely owns his character in the show.

Jay Sosa

Alright. Fair enough. I've heard so many good things. And I was briefly hooked by the first season. I can't even remember why I trailed off. I'll jump back on and see what happens.

Imho SE2 of BB is easily the most boring and annoying cause of this horrible bitchy wife of his. I can definitely understand why someone would have stopped watching during the 2. Thank god the 3. and 4. focus more on Hank and the drug angle.

I've started watching Supernatural on Netflix recently. Holy shit it's awesome. Just started Season 3.

Absolutely, what I love most about the show are the filler episodes, the ones where they just fuck around. Very creative and fun. Not to mention my man crush on Dean/Jensen Ackles.

Recon

Banned
Imho SE2 of BB is easily the most boring and annoying cause of this horrible bitchy wife of his. I can definitely understand why someone would have stopped watching during the 2. Thank god the 3. and 4. focus more on Hank and the drug angle.

Absolutely, what I love most about the show are the filler episodes, the ones where they just fuck around. Very creative and fun. Not to mention my man crush on Dean/Jensen Ackles.

I only got a few episodes into season two of supernatural. I just got bored of the monster of the week plot. I dont really watch procedurals, so a "supernatural" themed procedural still didnt hook me like I wanted. I really like the leads and the mythology. Maybe I will revisit it on netflix. Does it get less monster of the week as the show goes on?

Jay Sosa

I only got a few episodes into season two of supernatural. I just got bored of the monster of the week plot. I dont really watch procedurals, so a "supernatural" themed procedural still didnt hook me like I wanted. I really like the leads and the mythology. Maybe I will revisit it on netflix. Does it get less monster of the week as the show goes on?

Not completely, but it's a lot more big picture now. Kinda like the Shield or Buffy, meaning they solve one case per episode but it's usually connected to some bigger evil/storyline. It's certainly not as high quality as BB, Mad Men or all that stuff but it sure is fun to watch.

I would at least watch some episodes of season 3 cause that's when the show really hit its stride

Recon

Banned
Not completely, but it's a lot more big picture now. Kinda like the Shield or Buffy, meaning they solve one case per episode but it's usually connected to some bigger evil/storyline. It's certainly not as high quality as BB, Mad Men or all that stuff but it sure is fun to watch.

I would at least watch some episodes of season 3 cause that's when the show really hit its stride

Ill give it another go, at least finish up season 2.

Canuck76

Banned
Hey anybody see this british show "the spy"? It's on hulu it's pretty funny. This dad gets into MI5 but his wife is divorced and his son is an uppity know it all. They recycle jokes a bit too much but it's a very funny show.

Canuck76

Banned
Recently I've been watching a 30 minute Canadian comedy show called "Todd and the Book of Pure Evil" and it's really been kicking my ass in a good way. It's an extremely irreverent (violence, sexual references, cursing and etc) show about a heavy metal kid in high school and an evil book that grants wishes to students. It's sort of like a cross between Buffy, Bill & Ted, and Evil Dead II. The budget is minuscule, It's not especially mature or sophisticated, and the quality from episode to episode is not very consistent, but when it delivers, it delivers in a big way. There is actually quite a bit of decent old-school gore, and the show is full of movie references. I think a lot of GAFers would probably enjoy it.

Thanks for the recommendation i'll support any Canadian shows that aren't strictly political saitre or whatnot. I was thinking the other day about how we need a new SCTV

AAequal

Banned
Watched Shield season 7 in one sit yesterday. It was all kinds of awesome for so many reasons.

Vic's faith was so satisfying. I still
feel bad for Ronnie. Claudette also became so annoying at some point so it was nice to see Vic beat him, but since he sold out Ronnie I couldn't do anything but enjoy his loss of everything important to him. Never liked Shane so didn't care about him at all.

I do have one question that I didn't really get. They showed Danny
packing all his stuff like he was moving away in one episode but then he came back what's with that
?

FootballFan

Finished watching Spartacus Blood and Sand Season 1. Incredible how the episodes were getting better and better. The ending was amazing.

Peter Mensah(Doctore), Andy Whitfield(Spartacus) and John Hannah(Batiatus) were so damn awesome. Did their roles perfectly. I don't know if I will continue watching, I usually hate when actors get replaced, especially when the ones that are being replaced are already great for the role. So unfortunate that Andy died. Rest in peace.

Other than the rough start, the show was overall fantastic. 9/10 for me.

Anyone here that has been watching season 2? What is the new Spartacus like?

Zeliard

Finished watching Spartacus Blood and Sand Season 1. Incredible how the episodes were getting better and better. The ending was amazing.

Peter Mensah(Doctore), Andy Whitfield(Spartacus) and John Hannah(Batiatus) were so damn awesome. Did their roles perfectly. I don't know if I will continue watching, I usually hate when actors get replaced, especially when the ones that are being replaced are already great for the role. So unfortunate that Andy died. Rest in peace.

He isn't nearly as fun to watch but the show is still solid.

Watch the Gods of the Arena prequel. Doesn't feature Spartacus but it has another kickass dude named Gannicus who becomes one of the main guys in Season 2. Also lots of Oenomaus (Doctore) and Crixus.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole

Prequel and season 2 are/have been fantastic. Well worth watching.

FootballFan

Watch the Gods of the Arena prequel. Doesn't feature Spartacus but it has another kickass dude named Gannicus who becomes one of the main guys in Season 2. Also lots of Oenomaus (Doctore) and Crixus.

Cool, will do. Good to know the show is still solid, I see the Spartacus thread all the time but I don't want to go in and ask in there in case of spoilers.

Thanks Zeliard and ItAintEasy.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
If you're willing to put up with some wacky in your sci-fi (think the campier earlier season of Buffy) Farscape might be worth a shot--it starts as pretty light entertainment, but gradually develops into a fairly strong series.

My friend and I started watching Farscape recently, despite my initial reluctance, and it's turned out to be quality sci-fi so far. It's comparable to the good parts of Tennant's Doctor Who.

Also, I would describe it as Mass Effect: The Series. Seriously, it's like BioWare saw this show and decided to make a game out of it, with minor tweaks.

I can't find a thread for GCB, which is weird, considering what members here enjoy watching.

My wife likes it a lot, and there is some clever Arrested Development-style word play and visual puns, but ultimately I don't understand the tone.

There are moments of "victory," where you're supposed to feel vindicated along with Amanda, and then somber moments when the writers expect you to sympathize with her. But I feel like everyone on the show is losing -- there are no winners and no one for me to cheer for. I don't find Amanda deserving of my sympathy, an issue addressed in the dialog -- which mentions Amanda being a bitch in high school and reaping what she has sown -- but not in the tone of the direction -- the music, cinematography, etc. all tries to make her seem like a heroic protagonist.

These serious moments don't work for me at all. The other half of the show (puns, wackiness, AD antics) is enjoyable, irreverent comedy, but the going back and forth between that and taking itself seriously keeps me from watching it.

Hobbun

Watched the season finale of Alcatraz last night (DVR). I won't give anything away, but I enjoyed it. I've actually enjoyed it all along for the most part (with the exception of some weak episodes). Although last night ended with a bang (what finale usually doesn't?).

Unfortunately, it probably will be the last episode we'll see as I don't see it being renewed. :(

Cetra

I can totally relate. Dean Winchester is so awesome. Bobby is pretty hilarious too. Getting close to Season 7 now. Show just keeps on giving.

And my god... The soundtrack.

Recon

Banned
Currently watching Battlestar:Galactica. Man, I have not wanted a character to die more than I have Starbuck. Not so much in Season 3, currently on Season 3, Ep.15. But man, I hate the actress and I hate the character even more. Season 2 was a bit slow, and Season 3 seems to have a bit of filler, but I like the fiction a lot. The religion angle is kinda annoying, and Gaius Baltar seems to look a lot like "white jesus", maybe on purpose. I did have one part of the ending spoiler for me
I know they find earth, is this such a big spoiler that the rest of the series is a waste if I know that?
Anyways, hope it gets better, but I am enjoying it.

Ok so we started on Series 3 of Sons of Anarchy last night, and I was literally jumping of the sofa swearing at the tv. This show just gets better and better! Gonna get through a few more eps tonight. Only got Series 1-3 boxset, is Series 4 out to buy in the UK yet?

Due to some weird circumstances I ended up watching Skins (UK)

Up to season 2 now and the thing I enjoy the most about it is how much everything sucks for everyone. Every moment that seems like it might lead to something positive almost always ends horribly for at least someone. I love that about this show.

Question! I've heard that the tone of the series swings pretty hard between seasons. Everything being horrible for everybody is like 98% of what I like about it, so how much does the tone actually change? Should I look out for any particular light-hearted season?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Due to some weird circumstances I ended up watching Skins (UK)

Up to season 2 now and the thing I enjoy the most about it is how much everything sucks for everyone. Every moment that seems like it might lead to something positive almost always ends horribly for at least someone. I love that about this show.

Question! I've heard that the tone of the series swings pretty hard between seasons. Everything being horrible for everybody is like 98% of what I like about it, so how much does the tone actually change? Should I look out for any particular light-hearted season?

No. It only gets more depressing as it goes on. The new characters are also VASTLY more unlikable than the first cast. Especially in season 3.

I watch just about anything and everything, so I'll just say what I've been DVR'ing lately. Justified and Mad Men, currently. Will sit and watch the Science Channel for hours on end. They've been on a big astronomy kick lately.

No. It only gets more depressing as it goes on. The new characters are also VASTLY more unlikable than the first cast. Especially in season 3.

That works out well then, because the reason I enjoy the misfortune of the characters so much is because I find most of them to be scum.

Tony getting hit by a car
in the season 1 finale made me really, really happy.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That works out well then, because the reason I enjoy the misfortune of the characters so much is because I find most of them to be scum.

Tony getting hit by a car
in the season 1 finale made me really, really happy.

Yeah, he was pretty dickish in season 1, but I think season 2
redeems his character a lot.

I'm looking for recommendations.

It feels like I've run out of TV shows to watch. Here are a list of the shows that I've enjoyed (with a letter indicating just how much I've enjoyed them).

The Shield: A
Sopranos: B+
Six Feet Under: B
The Wire: A-
Lost: C+
Game of Thrones: B+
Firefly: A-
Buffy: A-
Angel: A
Homeland: A-

I've watched a bunch of others, but that's a sampling. I'm looking for something dark-ish, gritty-ish, and potentially (though not necessarily) supernatural/sci-fi. I've tried to get into Breaking Bad (watched S1 and part of S2) and True Blood recently, but I just couldn't do it.

I tend not to be able to get into British or European stuff. (Sorry.)

Any recs?

This might be too late, but watch Carnivale. Honestly the best fit from everything you said you wanted.

FootballFan

Prequel and season 2 are/have been fantastic. Well worth watching.

Hey guys, letting you know that I followed up on your recommendations and purchased Gods of the Arena on Blu-ray.

Just watched the first 2 episodes, and I loved it.
Fantastic, picking up where it left off, and I am thoroughly enjoying learning more about Batiatus' past.
Can't wait to watch the rest, the quality is just amazing.
<3 blu-ray

Sadsic

Just started watching Breaking Bad with my friend... we just got up to about midway in season 4... HOW THE FUCK DID I NOT WATCH THIS ALREADY???

its really phenomenal!

Just finished marathoning Daria (including the two made-for-TV movies) and the first couple seasons of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia inbetween university work. Heard Californication was meant to be pretty good and similar to IASiP, so would that be worth checking out? I don't really know anything about it mind you, but I'm assuming it's a sitcom at least.

Jay Sosa

Spaced

just one episode, wasn't funny and the main actress is truly hideous, won't be watching another

You shouldn't judge a comedy after just one episode, hell the entire first season of Parks and Rec was pretty mediocre and now is easily the most funny show on TV. That said Spaced is more weird than funny (in a good way) If you want a more 'normal' comedy watch Father Ted or IT Crowd. And I think it's refreshing that UK comedies aren't littered with models and people straight out the GQ magazine.

Btw: If you want a truly weird show go watch 'Peep Show', definitely my favorite UK comedy.

Row

Banned
Seen both those shows, and they were terrific. And it's not that I expect models, far from it, but than woman was truly hideous

Might check out peep show though

I would've added that not liking a show because the main actress is 'hideous' is incredibly fucking shallow. How many comedies have a fat slob of a funnyman as the lead character again?

Spaced is admittedly a bit dated by now, but it still leads nicely into Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz if you're watching everything Simon/Nick/Edgar did in order.

Row

Banned
I would've added that not liking a show because the main actress is 'hideous' is incredibly fucking shallow. How many comedies have a fat slob of a funnyman as the lead character again?

Spaced is admittedly a bit dated by now, but it still leads nicely into Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz if you're watching everything Simon/Nick/Edgar did in order.

well the first reason is I didn't find it funny at all, how gross the character is was simply a close second

when it comes to comedy there is no better than classic british comedy like the office and father ted.

and i quite like american comedies as well.

Row

Banned
when it comes to comedy there is no better than classic british comedy like the office and father ted.

and i quite like american comedies as well.

pretty much, but I unfortunately seem to have watched most of what's considered the best

fawlty towers, the office, black books, father ted, only fools and horses, the it crowd, extras, blackadder, vicar of dbley

Jay Sosa

pretty much, but I unfortunately seem to have watched most of what's considered the best

fawlty towers, the office, black books, father ted, only fools and horses, the it crowd, extras, blackadder, vicar of dbley

Yep, there's not that much left I'm afraid. At least nothing I can think of atm.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Yep, there's not that much left I'm afraid. At least nothing I can think of atm.

Yes Minister/Prime Minister
The Thin Blue Line
The Fast Show
The Sketch Show
A Bit of Fry & Laurie
Jeeves & Wooster
Bottom
How Do You Want Me?
Not the Nine O Clock News
The Goodies

That's just off the top of my head.

Bladenic

A little while ago I started watching How I Met Your Mother. I just now finished season 2 and I really like it. Reminds of Friends a lot. I also began watching Scrubs (10 years late lol) and I love it. Funny and poignant. Only on like episode 9 of season 1 though.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm watching The Shield right now in the middle of Season 4.

I was really hoping it would turn out to be something as engaging as The Wire but it's really not grabbing me in the same way. I suppose nothing ever will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom