• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

Personally I felt S3 went waaaay off the rails in the second half. Which sucks, because the first half was amazing and Quarles was awesome.

But I would say S2 > S1 > S3, overall.

You are being very hard on S3 I feel but the criticism's are no doubt deserved. It was an overstuffed season and it is amazing they even juggled so many plotlines successfully. I trust next season will have a much more focused approach.

S2 is god status. Up there with Terriers and Archer's latest season as FX's best.

Solo

Yeah S2 will likely not be topped by any future season of the show. Id love to be proven wrong though,

Back to BB for a second: forgot to mention how much I love Saul Goodman. Cracks me the fuck up. He plays the scumbag attorney so well.

Yeah S2 will likely not be topped by any future season of the show. Id love to be proven wrong though,

Back to BB for a second: forgot to mention how much I love Saul Goodman. Cracks me the fuck up. He plays the scumbag attorney so well.

God, I can't wait to see your post 3.07 reaction. Get to it!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Nah. Ive got 7 episodes left, so that is 2 nights of viewing for me, not 1.

I would imagine I'll do 3.07-3.10 today, then 3.11-3.13 + 4.01 tomorrow. 4 eps each day.

I guess that's pretty sensible, especially for someone with actual stuff to do during the day. (unlike me >;()

T Dollarz

So glad to see Solo getting in on the party. You should go at a slower pace though, make your wait for the final episodes short as possible. Try to hold it to an episode or two a day, my best advice!

Ive watched the 3 seasons of Damages on Netflix. Pretty awesome show. Its a bit far fetched but its entertaining. I hate how the idea of video surveillance seems not to exist in this show. People shoot and murder in public and nobodys asking about traffic cams or zooming in to enhance faces.

*shakes fist at 24

Solo

Done with 3.09. This famous (or infamous?) "Fly" episode is next. I'm done for the night, so it will be the first one I see tomorrow.

Also, Aaron Paul has gotten SO much better as this series has progressed.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Done with 3.09. This famous (or infamous?) "Fly" episode is next. I'm done for the night, so it will be the first one I see tomorrow.

Dun dun dun! ;0

It really is incredible how much he's grown as an actor. I'm hoping his HBO Spy show gets picked up.

Interested to hear where you would place this show among others.

I can't put this at the same level of Sopranos, Deadwood or Wire.

And I can't put it above Mad Men or Boardwalk Empire. And yet it has some of the tensest moments in any series ever.

Fjordson

Absolutely. I was a little turned off by his character in the beginning. All the stereotypical street thug shit. But his performance and the character grow so much as the show goes on.

I think that was why I couldn't get into it the first time I tried watching it. I just didn't find anyone interesting outside of Cranston as Walt in S1. But eventually you see the depth of Jesse's character. Same goes for Hank and Marie.

And then of course Mike and Gus are just excellent. Especially Mike. What a bad ass.

And I can't put it above Mad Men or Boardwalk Empire. And yet it has some of the tensest moments in any series ever.
That's basically how I feel about it as well. Can't say I'd put it next to the best of HBO or Mad Men, but it's up there.

Solo

Interested to hear where you would place this show among others.

Its firmly a "Tier 2" show for me.

Tier 1 would be Deadwood, Mad Men, Sopranos, Luck type stuff
Tier 2 would be Breaking Bad, Homeland, Justified, Rome type stuff
Tier 3 would be Game of Thrones, John From Cincinnati, Californication type stuff
Tier 4 would be Entourage, Dexter type stuff
Tier 5 would be most network TV

Tier 1 and 2 and waaaaaay higher than Tiers 3, 4 and 5.

Still haven't seen The Wire.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Luck Tier 1?!
I haven't seen it because it got cancelled but I've never really seen anyone talk about it like that

wire-poster.jpg

Finished all five seasons over the summer.

This is, without a doubt, the single most overrated show in the history of the medium.

I'm not saying it wasn't good. It was clearly put together with love and care and it had its moments, but there are shows out there that have done a better job at telling a story, providing suspense, creating memorable characters, and accomplishing just about every other aspect of a television series than this show has.

The fact that it is lauded by its fanbase as flawless and God's gift to mankind is stupefying.

People typically defend it by saying that it's a perfect depiction of many facets of American culture: from the drug war/trade, to bureaucracy, politics and overall plight of the lower-class, but I think that was my problem with it:

It felt like a documentary with fake people. This of course has to be attributed to the fact that David Simon was a career journalist before creating the show, and I think that I would've respected the content matter much more had he simply gone down to the streets and docks of Baltimore and made a documentary about all of this.

Maybe I'm jaded because I've had enough schooling and personal interest in the flawed machinations of America to the point where this show left me with the thought "Yeah, and?" one too many times. Maybe it's the fact that it simply tried to tackle too many perspectives where every character's story really did become that of a poor player strutting and fretting their hour upon the stage.

And I know that people will say "Yeah! That's exactly the point! Look at how they are all cogs in the big heartless machine!"

I don't need a TV show to tell me that, but I suppose some do.

Characters create plot through their actions, and I find it far more interesting to see them play their parts and deal with their issues against the backdrop of the situation they find themselves in rather than being used as props to illustrate that background.

Started Dexter for the first time.

Stop after Season 4. Do yourself a favor.

Necrovex

I'm a fair distance in the first season of Fringe. I am really liking show. At worst, it's meh, at its best, it's "OMG AMAZING!" Probably my favorite episode so far was "Ability." (Episode 14)

thFxW.jpg

I just marathon'ed both seasons of Beaver Falls on Channel 4 OD. It should be a guilty pleasure, but I really liked it. It might have "Ridiculously Good Looking People", generic archetypes, and predictable plotlines but there is heart to it unlike Skins. I only watched it for Arsher Ali, finally an Indian/Pakistani character getting some. It's got good characterisation, is funny at times, well-developed characters (other than Hope in 2nd season), and lots of sexytime.

It's like Skins (but good) or Inbetweeners but with Brits in a US summer camp, having to act as "brothers" to obese kids.

Anyone else seen it?

Solo

I'm a fair distance in the first season of Fringe. I am really liking show. At worst, it's meh, at its best, it's "OMG AMAZING!" Probably my favorite episode so far was "Ability." (Episode 14)

That is one of the best episodes of the entire series. Also, if those are your feelings on S1, you will love S2 and LOOOOOOOVE S3. S4? Eh.......

Necrovex

That is one of the best episodes of the entire series. Also, if those are your feelings on S1, you will love S2 and LOOOOOOOVE S3. S4? Eh.......

Rad. I'll watch the second season of Fringe after I watch a season of Dr. Who. I made an exchange with a friend that I'll watch one of his shows if he finishes the first season of Fringe. Now, I need to decide if I start on Eccleston (who I heard is fantastic for building the mytho of the Who universe), Tennant, or Smith.

Also, I hope Fringe goes away from the monster of the week episodes,
I finished the genetically created beast episode a few nights ago, for the most part, I was really bored by the episode. However, it did have some fantastic Walter moments and great development in his character.

Bazza

thFxW.jpg

I just marathon'ed both seasons of Beaver Falls on Channel 4 OD. It should be a guilty pleasure, but I really liked it. It might have "Ridiculously Good Looking People", generic archetypes, and predictable plotlines but there is heart to it unlike Skins. I only watched it for Arsher Ali, finally an Indian/Pakistani character getting some. It's got good characterisation, is funny at times, well-developed characters (other than Hope in 2nd season), and lots of sexytime.

It's like Skins (but good) or Inbetweeners but with Brits in a US summer camp, having to act as "brothers" to obese kids.

Anyone else seen it?

Beaver Falls is great, i only found out the other day the second season had started so iv got a few episodes to catch up on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom