• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got half way through New Girl Season 1 and I hate myself to say it, but my god this show is good. Out of principle I swore I wouldnt watch the show after seeing how the network was promoting it, but im glad I gave it a chance in the summer.

Her quirkiness was too much for the first few episodes, but its really moved past that quite well into an awesome buddy comedy. No idea why they tried to sell it like they did, but looking forward to the rest and next year.

big ander

So I watched the Buffy movie the other day. Liked it, though you could tell which parts were Whedon and which were...not. Anyway I've been planning on jumping into the show soon, and I was wondering: does the pilot make the transition from the film to the movie pretty explicit? Or will I need a breakdown?
[KoRp]Jazzman;41730624 said:
Just got half way through New Girl Season 1 and I hate myself to say it, but my god this show is good. Out of principle I swore I wouldnt watch the show after seeing how the network was promoting it, but im glad I gave it a chance in the summer.

Her quirkiness was too much for the first few episodes, but its really moved past that quite well into an awesome buddy comedy. No idea why they tried to sell it like they did, but looking forward to the rest and next year.

the way they sold it was definitely more marketable, way more appealing to the mainstream. and it worked, people watched the show.

don't feel bad for liking it though, because most people have by now recognized it as the solidly hilarious ensemble comedy it is. show has wit, despite it's pixie exterior.

TheDanger

Banned
So I watched the Buffy movie the other day. Liked it, though you could tell which parts were Whedon and which were...not. Anyway I've been planning on jumping into the show soon, and I was wondering: does the pilot make the transition from the film to the movie pretty explicit? Or will I need a breakdown?

The show is something completely different, you don't even have to watch the movie. It's a million times better, the only weakness that BTVS has is that a few episodes are weak. I like Season 1 the least, Season 2 is amazing and the rest is too. Unfortunately season 1 is missing the best character of the show.

Solo

hm.
was he really doing that for Jesse? (it's Jesse by the way, not Jessie. Jessie is a girls name) or was he doing it because Jane was in his way? Spoiler, it's pretty damn clear it's the latter. him killing Jane was not tough love, it was skittish and rash murder of someone who threatened Walt's drug operation.

It's BOTH. I just happened to see the former as much more powerful.

Solo

What did you think of the
plane crash? It seems to be the most divisive part of season 2.

Didn't mind it.

However, after having seen 2 seasons, I believe I'm now somewhat qualified to say, at this point, while a great show, BB is NOT an absolute top tier show ala Deadwood or Mad Men. I would say that BB is amazing entertainment, but I would put it firmly in the next echelon below MM/DW. The writing just isn't at the level of those two shows.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Didn't mind it.

However, after having seen 2 seasons, I believe I'm now somewhat qualified to say, at this point, while a great show, BB is NOT an absolute top tier show ala Deadwood or Mad Men. I would say that BB is amazing entertainment, but I would put it firmly in the next echelon below MM/DW. The writing just isn't at the level of those two shows.

Season 2 is only the start of it.

Also, re: the scene in the spoilered bits, I love the fact that that whole thing never would've happened if he hadn't
been there and sat on the bed, making her roll onto her back
in the first place.

Solo

Yeah, a lot of the show seems to be like that.

I've only watched the S3 premiere so far, but hopefully I can squeeze in a few episodes after work tonight.

KlotePino

3 episodes away from the end of Friday Night Lights which I've been blazing through. I love the way they portray Texas, all I'd heard about Texas was that it was a hellhole with nothing to do around there and although the show doesn't deny that it kinda is there's still a charm and beauty to it that I think the show manages to capture really well. As a european growing up with soccer I never saw the appeal in American Football but the toughness of the sport and the strategic element with everybody playing a very specific role really started to appeal to me and actually made me look if there are any american football clubs around. The show obviously romanticizes and dramatizes the sport but I'll probably still buy my first Madden game due to this.

It made me think about the differences in sports education between Europe and the US too because both have P.E. with watered-down versions of sports you play with everybody in class but the US has this culture of sports being played on a serious level too with coaches and everything. Is that still true even outside of Texas or is it made a bigger deal than it really is in the show? I also really like how the show throws a couple of curveballs and is kind-of offbeat in it's writing with examples like:
Matt Saracen not really becoming a star quarterback in college and fumbling the ball during one really important match that they lose because of it, Tim not going to college and the Lions not immediately winning their first season.

Can't believe this show bombed in the US but I think they didn't really need more seasons anyway, although a couple more episodes per season might have rounded it out a little better.

Didn't mind it.

tumblr_lhreuwCQKn1qav6t4o1_400.gif

Interested to see if your opinion changes at all after catching up with the next 3 seasons, but I agree completely. I do think season 3 and 4 are higher in quality though

TCRS

Banned
51DgQ7b5zLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"Grooming standard!"

Finished Generation Kill, brilliant stuff. And I learned that Fruity Rudy is/was a Marine in RL too and played himself in Generation Kill. Mind blown.

Solo

tumblr_lhreuwCQKn1qav6t4o1_400.gif

Interested to see if your opinion changes at all after catching up with the next 3 seasons, but I agree completely. I do think season 3 and 4 are higher in quality though

Right now BB is on the level of Justified or Homeland for me. Awesome television, just shy of brilliance.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I watched the first season of Game of Thrones last weekend. It's pretty good and i love the world(characters, cities, villages, forests, the big wall, etc.) they created. Some of the scenes are a bit too violent for my tastes, but the rest is good enough for me to continue watching it. I was very surprised that they
killed what i assumed was going to be the main character of the show. That little fucking piece of shit of a prince(or rather king now) better die someday.

When is the 2nd season going to be released on Bluray/DVD? Really want to see what happen next. And when will the 3rd season starts?

Right now BB is on the level of Justified or Homeland for me. Awesome television, just shy of brilliance.

Season 3 and 4 are widely regarded as the point where Breaking Bad goes from great to fantastic. If you think Season 2 is just shy of brilliance, 3 and 4 should tip you over the edge.

Yeah, Justified is up there with BB. It doesn't seem to get the same amount of love, but I guess BB didn't have as many fans as it does now back when season 3 was airing either. I'm actually about to watch the last two episodes of Homeland right now, never got a chance to see it. Never knew it until I saw it in the credits, but they shoot in my city. The scene with the
briefcase explosion
by the fountain in the park was shot about 10 minutes from my house, I walk over there with my dog all the time. Can't believe I wasn't aware of that until this week. They look for extras around here too, people of indian/middle eastern/etc. backgrounds. I need to try to get in on that

I watched the first season of Game of Thrones last weekend. It's pretty good and i love the world(characters, cities, villages, forests, the big wall, etc.) they created. Some of the scenes are a bit too violent for my tastes, but the rest is good enough for me to continue watching it. I was very surprised that they
killed what i assumed was going to be the main character of the show. That little fucking piece of shit of a prince(or rather king now) better die someday.

When is the 2nd season going to be released on Bluray/DVD? Really want to see what happen next. And when will the 3rd season starts?

3rd season starts on march 31st, so the second season should be coming out end of february/early march probably. thats how they usually do it anyway, date hasn't been announced yet

3rd season starts on march 31st, so the second season should be coming out end of february/early march probably. thats how they usually do it anyway, date hasn't been announced yet
I still won't forgive the book publishers for delaying the paperback edition of A Dance with Dragons by 7 months so they can tie it into the season 3 hype :p

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

While I don't agree (with most people) that Breaking Bad is as good as something like Mad Men, the show does get quite a bit better IMO. While the second season is indeed great, and not top tier, I think a case could be made for seasons 3 and 4. I don't want to over hype it though.

big ander

The show is something completely different, you don't even have to watch the movie. It's a million times better, the only weakness that BTVS has is that a few episodes are weak. I like Season 1 the least, Season 2 is amazing and the rest is too. Unfortunately season 1 is missing the best character of the show.
cool, cool. I'll start it up sometime soon then.
3 episodes away from the end of Friday Night Lights which I've been blazing through. I love the way they portray Texas, all I'd heard about Texas was that it was a hellhole with nothing to do around there and although the show doesn't deny that it kinda is there's still a charm and beauty to it that I think the show manages to capture really well. As a european growing up with soccer I never saw the appeal in American Football but the toughness of the sport and the strategic element with everybody playing a very specific role really started to appeal to me and actually made me look if there are any american football clubs around. The show obviously romanticizes and dramatizes the sport but I'll probably still buy my first Madden game due to this.

It made me think about the differences in sports education between Europe and the US too because both have P.E. with watered-down versions of sports you play with everybody in class but the US has this culture of sports being played on a serious level too with coaches and everything. Is that still true even outside of Texas or is it made a bigger deal than it really is in the show? I also really like how the show throws a couple of curveballs and is kind-of offbeat in it's writing with examples like:
Matt Saracen not really becoming a star quarterback in college and fumbling the ball during one really important match that they lose because of it, Tim not going to college and the Lions not immediately winning their first season.

Can't believe this show bombed in the US but I think they didn't really need more seasons anyway, although a couple more episodes per season might have rounded it out a little better.
mhm, it's truly a universal show, despite seemingly being about such a specific subject. In fact I think football fans might be prone to liking it less because of how much the sport is marginalized in the show, especially in the later seasons.
outside of Texas and some other areas football isn't as big a deal in US high schools. It's still sorta important, but in my town it wasn't much more than a passing interest.

Decado

While I don't agree (with most people) that Breaking Bad is as good as something like Mad Men, the show does get quite a bit better IMO. While the second season is indeed great, and not top tier, I think a case could be made for seasons 3 and 4. I don't want to over hype it though.
I've only seen the 1st season and maybe a 1/3 of the second, but I found the family drama somewhat unpleasant to watch. It was well done, but there was too much of it (something I have difficulty caring about; just personal preference). Does that still take up a lot of screen time?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I've only seen the 1st season and maybe a 1/3 of the second, but I found the family drama somewhat unpleasant to watch. It was well done, but there was too much of it (something I have difficulty caring about; just personal preference). Does that still take up a lot of screen time?

I'd say that it takes up anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 or the show still.

Finished watching Homeland season 1. Really enjoyed it but i'm having trouble seeing where the story is going to go from here. I'll be watching season 2 but I just hope it doesn't turn into something like Dexter which I had to stop watching because it just got too painful. I feel like this would have been a great miniseries, but I just don't see how multiple seasons could work. I hope i'm wrong though

T Dollarz

I think that season 4 of Dexter was a top tier season in relation with any show. That season, with the trinity killer, was edge of your seat television every episode. It quickly became unwatchable after that, however.

Solo going through BB? Excellent.

I will say that the first half of Season 3 and first half of Season 4 feel like filler, but that the second half of those seasons are great.

Also agree that it is in the later seasons that it goes from being very good entertainment to a great show.

Solo

Just about to start 3.06. Seems like shit might be about to get real. Last episode ended with Hank
putting Jesse and the RV together, which isn't far from putting Walter and meth together

T Dollarz

As a part of Justified-GAF, Breaking Bad is freaking brilliant. Looove both shows.

I totally dropped the ball with Justified. Was loving the new season and then somewhere in the middle I missed an episode and I haven't caught up since. Did it finish well? Worth finishing the second half right? Anywhere I can catch the eps online?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Just watched the pilot for Revolution, seems pretty promising for a network TV show. They added plenty of plot hooks and intrigue in the pilot and most of the cast seem pretty solid.

Sliver

The worst episode of BB was when
Marie, Walt, Walt Jr, and Skylar were sitting the hospital for the whole episode after Hank was shot.
It was the most dull shit ever.

overcast

Watching Parks and Rec season 4. Hilarious thus far.

Thinking about doing Louie season 2 with my GF next. Not sure what else there is after that. Any ideas of what to watch on Netflix guys? Would prefer something pretty recent.

T Dollarz

Watching Parks and Rec season 4. Hilarious thus far.

Thinking about doing Louie season 2 with my GF next. Not sure what else there is after that. Any ideas of what to watch on Netflix guys? Would prefer something pretty recent.

Def Louie season 2. Some of the best comedy I've seen. Have you watched Arrested Development? Not sure if it's on Netflix, but that's an amazing comedy as well.

forrest

formerly nacire
First 2 seasons of The Wire and the first 3 seasons of Sons of Anarchy.

The Wire is a slow burner, but great writing and great characters. Definitely an investment to watch, but pays off in the end. SoA is enjoyable too, but feels like a giant man soap opera. Some of the stuff seems pretty ridiculous, but it's a fun ride regardless.

Solo

You'll probably watch the rest of the season tomorrow yeah? I imagine once you start getting into the back half you won't be able to stop. ;)

Nah. Ive got 7 episodes left, so that is 2 nights of viewing for me, not 1.

I would imagine I'll do 3.07-3.10 today, then 3.11-3.13 + 4.01 tomorrow. 4 eps each day.

I would imagine I'll do 3.07-3.10 today, then 3.11-3.13 + 4.01 tomorrow. 4 eps each day.

This is good. I won't point out which, but one of 3.07-3.10 is the series' most divisive episode, but I know already that you'll like it! 3.12, 3.13, and 4.01 are absolutely ridiculously intense. You're in for a treat.

Fjordson

I'm in the second half of season four of Breaking Bad. Absolutely loving it. Trying hard to pace myself since I've missed the first half of season 5 at this point and who knows when it'll be on Netflix.

I'm honestly a little shocked at how much my opinion has changed on BB. I was so bored by a lot of the first season for some reason. Or at least the first half.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Low ratings, which isn't much of a problem on CW normally, but also didn't fit into CW's target demographic. Reaper arrived shortly after the UPN/WB merger, and was picked up before they decided to be a teen girl network. Supernatural was established enough by then to still get away with it. It's actually kind of a miracle they even gave Reaper a second season.
Lame, and kinda strange considering that after some googling, it had higher ratings than both Gossip Girl and 90210 (lower than Supernatural though).

Oh well, gonna start with Breaking Bad now :O

Solo

I totally dropped the ball with Justified. Was loving the new season and then somewhere in the middle I missed an episode and I haven't caught up since. Did it finish well? Worth finishing the second half right? Anywhere I can catch the eps online?

Personally I felt S3 went waaaay off the rails in the second half. Which sucks, because the first half was amazing and Quarles was awesome.

But I would say S2 > S1 > S3, overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom