• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

Solid list.

Thoughts,

-Still gotta see Freaks and Geeks.
-Friday Night Lights wayyyyyyyy too low.
-Big Love is probably a bit too as well.
-So are Curb, and The West Wing, and Six Feet Under.

Biggest omission I see is Angel. Can't believe it's not on the list.

Edit: Cornballer, go ahead and make a new thread. It's thread worthy, I think. More discussion.

Solo

Cornballer said:
Continuing w/ the Onion A|V Club's list warz: Here's their top 30:

- The best TV series of the ’00s

Thoughts? Glaring omissions? What about the episodes that they picked for each show?

For Arrested Development, I would've gone w/ Pier Pressure, Top Banana, and Good Grief.

Pretty good list, actually. They picked some really awesome Lost episodes (although I'd have gone with TTLG over Greatest Hit). Deadwood is too low. Only one of their three Veronica Mars episodes is deserving (all 3 should be from S1, not one from each season like they did). FNL is too low.

Otherwise, no real complaints.

gdt5016 said:
Edit: Cornballer, go ahead and make a new thread. It's thread worthy, I think. More discussion.
If you want to make one, be my guest. List threads devolve pretty quickly out in the OT, so I wasn't going to bother.
Solo said:
Only one of their three Veronica Mars episodes is deserving (all 3 should be from S1, not one from each season like they did).
Looks like they made an effort to not pick more than one episode from a single season if possible. (Just spot checked a few of the shows that I know well enough to recognize the titles.)

Cornballer said:

Thoughts? Glaring omissions? What about the episodes that they picked for each show?

For Arrested Development, I would've gone w/ Pier Pressure, Top Banana, and Good Grief.
The West Wing is far, far too low.

Edit - I also finished my rewatch of Stargate SG1. Season 10 was better than season 9, but both were definitely a step down in quality of the previous two.

There's also that huge, glaring plothole behind the whole Ori thing.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
funkmastergeneral said:
Ever seen The Wire? It's like The Shield, but good.

A. The Shield is good, nay great.
B. The Shield is nothing like The Wire. They are about as thematically different as you can get.

Spire said:
A. The Shield is good, nay great.
B. The Shield is nothing like The Wire. They are about as thematically different as you can get.

I just started watching The Wire the other day because that poster said, "Its like the Wire, but good." Hmm they are totally different. Even if The Shield wasn't good (which is untrue judging from the 10 eps I have seen) it is still kind of silly comparison. I am sticking with both The Wire and The Shield and loving them both. Never really been into cop shows, but it looks like I have 2 damn good ones to watch.

I must say that The Shield is pretty morally ambiguous so far. Mackie is one of the coolest characters I have ever seen on TV. Seems like a real anti-hero.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
GrumpyAlien said:
I just started watching The Wire the other day because that poster said, "Its like the Wire, but good." Hmm they are totally different. Even if The Shield wasn't good (which is untrue judging from the 10 eps I have seen) it is still kind of silly comparison. I am sticking with both The Wire and The Shield and loving them both. Never really been into cop shows, but it looks like I have 2 damn good ones to watch.

I must say that The Shield is pretty morally ambiguous so far. Mackie is one of the coolest characters I have ever seen on TV. Seems like a real anti-hero.

Watch them both through to the end, you won't regret it. For my money, they're two of the best tv shows ever made and The Shield in particular just gets better with each season.

Woffls

After seeing the thread pop up so much on gaf.
After seeing who the main character was played by.
After seeing that one of the supporting cast was SUPER HOT.

I started watching House ^_^ What a glorious week this has been.

OMG k, so, I watched the first ep of season 2. I now fully understand "ruh roh" (or slight deviations thereof). Thought it was just Scooby Doo, but I now see how it is popular now.

gdt

Sopranos S1- Tony's mother is such a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch.

24 S5- Probably the best season.

Lost S4- Pure unadulterated awesome.

Babylon 5 S2- Just on the cusp of the top of the top in S3/4. S2 is so good. A massive jump from S1.

entremet

Just finished Freaks and Geeks. What a genius of a show. Great writing, great cast, and I love the nostalgia trip with the wonderful soundtrack.

Linda Cardellini is a beauty. No pedo, as she was over 18 when the show was taped. Such a shame we only got one season, though.

legend166

Cornballer said:

Huge, massive, can't believe they missed it glaring omission:

Band of Brothers.

Or does that not count as a 'TV Show'? It running time it was longer than The Office UK.

Questions...

- Is "V" worth my time? I have the first two episodes on the DVR, but haven't gotten around to them yet.
- Is anyone watching The Prisoner remake tonight? Reviews have been pretty poor so far. AMC's first misstep?

gdt

V is pretty good. Episode 2 was better than the Pilot (which moved way too fast).

I'm there for The Prisoner. Disappointed it's a 3 night/6 hour thing. Was hoping it was weekly, if only to lift the weight off my schedule.

Medalion

Banned
Star Wars Clone Wars, the CGI version. I just bought season 1 on blu-ray, while it's not the best thing since sliced bread, it's not like it's worse than the prequels, it had some moments, but it does get better the more you watch.

Also Community, the sitcom on NBC is fantastic.

adg1034

Cornballer said:
Questions...

- Is "V" worth my time? I have the first two episodes on the DVR, but haven't gotten around to them yet.
- Is anyone watching The Prisoner remake tonight? Reviews have been pretty poor so far. AMC's first misstep?

Sounds like it. I'd had high hopes that whoever was writing/directing the remake could effectively translate the mindfuck nature of the original into today's television grammar. But it seems like I was wrong. Number Six no longer
has any solid, lasting memories of his life before The Village
. Caviezel apparently brings none of McGoohan's fire to the role, either. Too bad. This could have been great.

Cornballer said:

It's Always Sunny
Black Books
Peep Show
Angel

entrement said:
Linda Cardellini is a beauty. No pedo, as she was over 18 when the show was taped. Such a shame we only got one season, though.

Pretty sure she was around 23/24 at the time - the oldest person amongst main cast.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Yea, I'm really digging The Prisoner. It's a different take on the original, and deals more with reality and perception rather than the mind games in the original. If it keeps up the pace, I may just love it. Caviezel isn't trying to be McGoohan, so that's a plus.I dunno why the review are poor, atleast the acting and productions are stellar so far. The story moves steadily, but with an obvious purpose.

Can't wait to get to more Sons of anarchy. I'm like 8 episodes in and
Jacks just blew that atf agent/stalker's brains out. wicked

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Can't wait to get to more Sons of anarchy. I'm like 8 episodes in and
Jacks just blew that atf agent/stalker's brains out. wicked
You're just getting into the meat of S1 where things really pick up, and keep in mind that S2 >>> S1.

Alan Sepinwall's set visit for Boardwalk Empire. Looks pretty cool.

boardwalk-empire-steve-buscemijpg-fb350d7b2ab4fb6a.jpg

boardwalk-empire-michael-kenneth-williamsjpg-fa1b29240b3b75e0.jpg

Also, I didn't feel like bumping one of the long dead Rome threads, but here's a snippet from Kevin McKidd:
First up, the oft-rumored about feature film based on HBO's gone-too-soon "Rome!"

"There is a script that is being shopped and it's supposedly very good, I haven't seen it, but I am definitely going to be a part of the movie," Kevin told PopWrap.
He then went on to say that his character, soldier/politician Lucius Vorenus, is not dead despite what happened in the show. "He very much alive, so that should be a fun story to tell.
"
S2 finale spoilers for Rome, btw. They keep on teasing us with the movie thing. Would be awesome if it happened, but I'm not holding my breath.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
does anyone have the link to the V thread?
searching for 'v' isnt producing much results.:lol

SpeedingUptoStop

Oh man...almost finished with Season 1 of SoA.

gotta say...
Damnit, DONNA NO!!!

:[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

That shit was raw.

SpeedingUptoStop

finished up S1 of SoA. Solid stuff. Gonna jump into S2 sometime in the next week, hopefully get caught up by the finale.

Blader

Rome_Season_2.jpg

Just finished this today. What a great show. McKidd and Stevenson are such an epic duo together, and James Purefoy's performance was just fucking outstanding from beginning to end.

I hope the movie ends up happening, I'd love to see more of this.

Salazar

Blader5489 said:
Just finished this today. What a great show. McKidd and Stevenson are such an epic duo together, and James Purefoy's performance was just fucking outstanding from beginning to end.

What you need to do now is chase down McKidd in 'North Square', a British legal comedy/drama, and Purefoy in the adaptation of Anthony Powell's 'A Dance to the Music of Time'.

The actress who plays Atia is also in 'North Square', along with Rupert Penry-Jones from 'Spooks' and a host of other terrific actors. The cast of 'A Dance...' is simply too vast and illustrious to describe.

Finally finished Deadwood.

Probably my favorite show after The Shield. I'd put them on the same level. Loved them both! :D

Started Scrubs s8, on sale for $14.99 @ Target this week.

After this, maybe start Sons of Anarchy s1.

Watching the last episode of S1 of Friday Night Lights after hearing TV GAF rave about it for over a year.

The fact that Coach Taylor doesn't have like 30 Emmys by now is a fucking crime. He is a real goddamn person.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Blader5489 said:
Rome_Season_2.jpg

I hope the movie ends up happening, I'd love to see more of this.

What movie?

Salazar

They might not be the very first against the wall when the day of reckoning for reality tv douches comes, but the contestants on 'Ultimate Gamer' really do need to be punished.

gdt

WyndhamPrice said:
Watching the last episode of S1 of Friday Night Lights after hearing TV GAF rave about it for over a year.

The fact that Coach Taylor doesn't have like 30 Emmys by now is a fucking crime. He is a real goddamn person.

Aye. Best actor on TV, IMO. Bar none (well, except Connie Britton :D ).

Brian Fellows said:
What movie?
There's a Rome movie that's been rumored for a while now by the writers/cast/etc..., but these things typically don't pan out. I posted some Kevin McKidd quotes about it a few posts up.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Cornballer said:
There's a Rome movie that's been rumored for a while now by the writers/cast/etc..., but these things typically don't pan out. I posted some Kevin McKidd quotes about it a few posts up.

I'm still waiting on my 3 two hour Deadwood movies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom