• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Zeliard said:
Man, Friday Night Lights lays the soap opera stuff on a little thickly. It's far more watchable than anything from any soap I've seen, and I like the often-naturalistic dialogue and some of the characters (the coach is spectacular), but a lot of it feels surprisingly melodramatic and manipulative so far. It's a good show but I'm not getting a "one of the very best shows on television" vibe from it so far. I'm still in Season 1, though, and I'll certainly keep watching it.

That was my big issue with the show when I started watching it, and I can't say it gets much better through the rest of S1 and 2.

Stick with it though, because S3 is just the greatest damn thing ever and S4 so far is giving it a run for its money.

gdt5016 said:
I'm assuming your referring to the Street/Tim/Lyla thing?

What episode are you on?

S3 had the least amount of football.

Really? It felt like there was a bunch of football. Maybe it was because everything was compressed, I'm remembering it weirdly.

Zeliard

gdt5016 said:
I'm assuming your referring to the Street/Tim/Lyla thing?

What episode are you on?

I'm on Episode 9.

Yeah, it's mostly about that love triangle. It doesn't really jive with me. And Tim Riggins is too awesome to be wasted on a storyline like that.

Was following House, as usual, until it took its winter-hiatus. Also following Always Sunny In Philadelphia as usual as well, to bad the season is almost over other than the Xmas special I think.

As of now, due to my friends getting addicted to it, I am trying to play catch up with Mad Men. I just started Season 2. Its just one of those shows that I would MUCH rather watch and converse with people about it as we watched it due to how well shot/written/acted/etc. it is. But I'm trying to push through as I hear the season 3 finally is one of the most powerful episodes of television in recent years or something.

When I finish that, maybe I'll pick up Breaking Bad again but who knows. Too many books to catch up on as well that I dunno what to do!

gdt

Zeliard said:
I'm on Episode 9.

Yeah, it's mostly about that love triangle. It doesn't really jive with me. And Tim Riggins is too awesome to be wasted on a storyline like that.

Alright, here's the thing.

FNL has this ability to take a (kinda) cliche storyline, and totally elevate it. It's called FNLing it (seriously, thats what the actors call it :lol ). FNL's storylines aren't the most original thing ever, and it's not even trying to do that. It's going for a starkly realistic tone (aside from some stuff here and there).

So, I was disappointed that they went that way, but all of the fallout of that triangle is awesome. Seriously, really awesome, heartbreaking stuff. Especially later with Street and Lyla.

S1 is totally awesome, S2 is solid, and S3 is my favorite TV season ever. And S4 is up there with S3.

Really? It felt like there was a bunch of football. Maybe it was because everything was compressed, I'm remembering it weirdly.

Nope, definitely (way?) less football in S3. For the better, IMO. More football related storylines, like one of Matt's for example, but less games.

gdt5016 said:
Nope, definitely (way?) less football in S3. For the better, IMO. More football related storylines, like one of Matt's for example, but less games.

That's what I'm thinking of, then. S3 has way less bullshit filler and focuses more on "football" as in the actual team and Dillon in relation to the team, which is the most interesting stuff.

i want to be tim riggins with every fiber of my being.

When I started FNL I thought I was going to hate Tim Riggins but the place they go with him... dude. Still have quibbles with him but they're more rooted in
the writers wanting to keep SOMEBODY around on this damn show
than anything else.

gdt

WyndhamPrice said:
That's what I'm thinking of, then. S3 has way less bullshit filler and focuses more on "football" as in the actual team and Dillon in relation to the team, which is the most interesting stuff.

I don't know man, FNL doesn't do filler.

If the episode is just Matt and Tim hanging out, that's totally fucking awesome.

And I disagree the football stuff is the most interesting, it's all fucking awesome.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
WyndhamPrice said:

When I started FNL I thought I was going to hate Tim Riggins but the place they go with him... dude. Still have quibbles with him but they're more rooted in
the writers wanting to keep SOMEBODY around on this damn show
than anything else.

i did the same damn thing. i usually despise this sort of goofball, but they made him a human being and showed that he's really not only a pretty cool dude, he's the coolest dude. he's just still, you know, figuring it out. like the rest of us.

Zeliard

gdt5016 said:
Alright, here's the thing.

FNL has this ability to take a (kinda) cliche storyline, and totally elevate it. It's called FNLing it (seriously, thats what the actors call it :lol ). FNL's storylines aren't the most original thing ever, and it's not even trying to do that. It's going for a starkly realistic tone (aside from some stuff here and there).

So, I was disappointed that they went that way, but all of the fallout of that triangle is awesome. Seriously, really awesome, heartbreaking stuff. Especially later with Street and Lyla.

S1 is totally awesome, S2 is solid, and S3 is my favorite TV season ever. And S4 is up there with S3.

Well, I'm certainly going to keep watching it. I'm criticized numerous people in the past for doing something like watching the first three episodes of The Wire and stopping because they found it "too boring", so I'm not about to give up on a show even nine episodes in. Particularly not one that I'm mostly enjoying, outside of a few things.

The thing about "FNL'ing" is pretty funny. It seems to be true.

What I like the most about the show so far are the characters of Coach Taylor and Tim Riggins. They're really great to watch. And also Saracen's buddy, whose name escapes me. That guy is pretty awesome. Matt Saracen, I dunno. He's well-acted but comes off as practically too much of a good guy. He's a little too perfect in his absolute kindness towards everything and everybody. I want to see him go off on someone (deservedly, of course) or do something that shows a bit of life.

Blader

Zeliard said:
I'm on Episode 9.

That's why you gotta stick with it. Season 3 is the Year of the Riggins. :D

Zeliard said:
Matt Saracen, I dunno. He's well-acted but comes off as practically too much of a good guy. He's a little too perfect in his absolute kindness towards everything and everybody. I want to see him go off on someone (deservedly, of course) or do something that shows a bit of life.

The writers make out Saracen to be their show's everyman, but he really just comes off as whiny and kind of loser all too often.

Though there are definitely moments where comes through with being awesome.

gdt

Zeliard said:
Well, I'm certainly going to keep watching it. I'm criticized numerous people in the past for doing something like watching the first three episodes of The Wire and stopping because they found it "too boring", so I'm not about to give up on a show even nine episodes in. Particularly not one that I'm mostly enjoying, outside of a few things.

The thing about "FNL'ing" is pretty funny. It seems to be true.

What I like the most about the show so far are the characters of Coach Taylor and Tim Riggins. They're really great to watch. And also Saracen's buddy, whose name escapes me. That guy is pretty awesome. Matt Saracen, I dunno. He's well-acted but comes off as practically too much of a good guy. He's a little too perfect in his absolute kindness towards everything and everybody. I want to see him go off on someone (deservedly, of course) or do something that shows a bit of life.

Oooh Matt's just like that.

He does go off though. Gloriously.

Edit: And Kyle Chandler is far and away the best actor on TV (Connie Britton is up there too). Even better than Bryan Cranston.

Chandler is a goddamn revelation as the Coach.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
WyndhamPrice said:
Seriously sometimes I find myself thinking "What Would Tim Riggins Do?" or "What Would Coach Taylor Do?" after watching this show :lol

tim riggins guide to life

[1] if body gets too hot, pull pants down around ankles
[2] attractive women spotted. proceed with 1-3 minutes of woo, followed by immediate intercourse.
[3] football. play it.
[4] win at everything.
[5] be awesome.

Zeliard

Blader5489 said:
That's why you gotta stick with it. Season 3 is the Year of the Riggins. :D

Awesome. :p

The actor, Taylor Kitsch (?), is great in the role too. I love his laconic, laid-back style. He's a badass without even trying.

Blader5489 said:
The writers make out Saracen to be their show's everyman, but he really just comes off as whiny and kind of loser all too often.

Though there are definitely moments where comes through with being awesome.

I don't mind that he's whiny, and I absolutely love that he's not some superstar on the field (at least at the point I'm at), but I do think he's written as just a little too much of a goody-two-shoes. At least so far. I can only comment on the characters up until Episode 9, so I don't know how much they change/evolve.

gdt5016 said:
Oooh Matt's just like that.

He does go off though. Gloriously.

Edit: And Kyle Chandler is far and away the best actor on TV (Connie Britton is up there too). Even better than Bryan Cranston.

Chandler is a goddamn revelation as the Coach.

He's fantastic. Too bad the "lead actor in a Drama" Emmy and Golden Globe lists are so fucking stacked with awesome talent. I would otherwise say that he's been getting robbed.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Zeliard said:
Man, Friday Night Lights lays the soap opera stuff on a little thickly. It's far more watchable than anything from any soap I've seen, and I like the often-naturalistic dialogue and some of the characters (the coach is spectacular), but a lot of it feels surprisingly melodramatic and manipulative so far. It's a good show but I'm not getting a "one of the very best shows on television" vibe from it so far. I'm still in Season 1, though, and I'll certainly keep watching it.
I can see your qualms so far. I felt that way about the part of the show your up too.
The second half is where the show became "one of the best shows of all time" for me, especially when that terrible soap-opera subplot dies down.

gdt

Just finished (rewatching) Babylon 5 S3.

Hot damn that was some hot shit. One of the best seasons ever. And S4 is even better :D .

Seriously, the last episode of S3 is awesome as fuck. Sheridin is such a badass.

Zeliard said:

Thats because its loosely scripted and the actors improvise most of it.

Finished Season 1 of Breaking Bad (which isn't much considering it's only 7 eps :lol )

WHOA. What in the world am I watching here? Very unique premise, and some good humor. Highly recommended, and I can't wait to get into season 2.

bjaelke

Net_Wrecker said:
Finished Season 1 of Breaking Bad (which isn't much considering it's only 7 eps :lol )

WHOA. What in the world am I watching here? Very unique premise, and some good humor. Highly recommended, and I can't wait to get into season 2.
I burned through the first season on a night which isn't recommended. You need time in between the episodes to digest what's happening. Very unique indeed!

Almost finished with the Shield (awesome) and am looking for a new genre of show because I am getting burned out on cop shows. I just watched the Wire (awesome) 2 months ago as well so you can imagine why. I am really interested in Big Love because I just saw an ad for the season premiere the other day. Is it worth watching? Is it kind of a Drama/Comedy?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
GrumpyAlien said:
Almost finished with the Shield (awesome) and am looking for a new genre of show because I am getting burned out on cop shows. I just watched the Wire (awesome) 2 months ago as well so you can imagine why. I am really interested in Big Love because I just saw an ad for the season premiere the other day. Is it worth watching? Is it kind of a Drama/Comedy?

BIG LOVE is, as you say, a mix of comedy and drama, not unlike the tone of what you get with many hbo shows that try and depict some sort of specific world or reality. it's good, but i can't attest to how it's held up past season one, which is the limit of my experience.

for something outside the cop genre, i recommend:
- MAD MEN
- DEADWOOD
- LOST

and i wouldn't be a good nerd if i didn't tell you to watch STAR TREK: DS9, my favorite science fiction show ever made.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Caught up to breaking bad. Such a fantastic show, but the season finale was a bit of a letdown considering the build-up. Oh well, everything else was excellent though. And i'm really looking forward to what plotlines they'll develop for the third season, with the current set-up they have now.
I hope the "third" season is the final season though. I could see the show losing alot of it's momentum, if they manage to drag it out for a forth season.

gdt

Big Love is fucking awesome. Apparently S3 is perfect, but I haven't seen that yet (in comes out on DVD in a couple weeks).

Highly recommended.

RPS37

It took me two weeks to watch FNL Season 1, then FOUR DAYS to watch FNL Season 2. I started Season 3 on Monday and all I have left is the finale.

Landry has got to be the real GAF hero.

beelzebozo said:
BIG LOVE is, as you say, a mix of comedy and drama, not unlike the tone of what you get with many hbo shows that try and depict some sort of specific world or reality. it's good, but i can't attest to how it's held up past season one, which is the limit of my experience.

for something outside the cop genre, i recommend:
- MAD MEN
- DEADWOOD
- LOST

and i wouldn't be a good nerd if i didn't tell you to watch STAR TREK: DS9, my favorite science fiction show ever made.

Watched all of Madmen and Lost and considered them to be some of the best TV ever. Started Deadwood and watched like 5 eps before deciding to watch Rome instead, which I am really enjoying so far on BluRay. Wasn't much of fan of DS9 when it came out, (more of a B5 guy) and have never really liked a StarTrek show since Next Generation.

Big Love is fucking awesome. Apparently S3 is perfect, but I haven't seen that yet (in comes out on DVD in a couple weeks).

Highly recommended.

Looks like this and Rome will be my marathon Christmas break shows. Thanks.

gdt5016 said:
Just finished (rewatching) Babylon 5 S3.

Hot damn that was some hot shit. One of the best seasons ever. And S4 is even better :D .

Seriously, the last episode of S3 is awesome as fuck. Sheridin is such a badass.
Sheridan is pretty awesome, one of the best science-fiction captains. If I had to make a list:

1. Jean-Luc Picard
2. Benjamin Sisko
3. Captain Sheridan
4. Admiral Adama
5. Captain Kirk

Just watched the first two episodes of Glee. Can definitely see myself loving this show.

I get a kinda more over the top Freaks & Geeks vibe from it and the musical stuff is awesome. Probably going to watch quite a few more eps tomorrow.

bwahhhhh

i had just watched "Better Off Ted" for the first time, the season 2 premier. purely by chance, Scrubs was ending and while i like that show decently, i don't follow it. but i did enjoy "Better Off Ted", and i came in with really low expectations. granted, that probably worked in its favor.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Okay I am going to pick up either the box set for Mad Men or Rome on Blu-ray for xmas, its kind of tradition to just watch a whole season or two of a show on xmas day and boxing day.

So I guess my question is.. What Box Set shall I pick up first Mad Men or Rome??

Cheers :D

(I think those two shows and Deadwood are the only shows I have not watched, or upto date on... :lol)

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Salazar said:
Rome. If you plan to burn straight from one episode to another, Rome will work better.

Ah cool that's what I was thinking myself. I can see Mad Men being the type of show I would watch a couple of episodes a day, instead of burning through it. But I was not sure because I have never seen much of it. Cheers

Just watched the last episode of The Shield a minute ago. The last 10 mins were so good. I will miss this show.

Up to episode 5 of watching Rome for the first time. I am loving it. The costumes, sets, and acting are just fantastic. I will probably watch it all over again from the beginning some time after.

Magnus

I've somehow managed to never see a single episode of any of these shows (and I call myself a huge TV fan, go figure). O wize gaf, what should I prioritize?

The Sopranos
Mad Men
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Arrested Development
Veronica Mars (I lied for this one, saw the pilot so far, and I dig it)

If it helps, my favorites include anything by Joss Whedon, Lost, and BSG.

Feel free to say "just watch all of them".

30 Rock was on this list, and I have a mad hard-on for Tina Fey's style, so I just blitzed through all of seasons 1-3 and am so grateful I did. Fucking brilliant stuff. Long live this show.

Salazar

I just finished the first season of Battlestar Galactica.

I am getting the second season for Christmas.

This makes me rather pleased.

Mind blowing fact du jour from Sepinwall on Twitter:
Little-known Ed O'Neill/David Milch fact: Milch wanted O'Neill to play Al Swearengen, but HBO said no b/c he was too well known as Al Bundy.
:O

Catching up on TV these days. I have a bunch of Californication S3, all of Dexter S4, all of Fringe S2, and those four episodes of V to watch over the holidays during the lull. Should be fun.

meppi

Been watching Dexter and getting as far as season 2 of Weeds which I never saw before.

Waiting for Lost to begin and bought the remaining seasons (3 and 5) on bluray this week.
Also picked up ALF season 1. :lol

Just started The Wire. Watched the pilot today. It didn't exactly make an impression on me in any sort of way, but I wasn't expecting it too, from everything I've read, it seems like a show that you have to see the whole thing to appreciate it. I'm going to take it slow, one episode a day for now. Watching it seems like it's going to be some mental work, so I don't want to burn out on it.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Waiting for X-mas so I can start season 3 of Dexter. Though the fucksticks at TV guide posted a major spoiler from season 4 in big bold letters.

poweld

Been hooked on Rome. Netflix recommended it to me, and Netflix was right. Just ate through the first two episodes of Season 2.

Coop

Finished Angel about two days ago. The finale was pretty good. i bet that final scene pissed a lot of people off. :lol The final scene for Lorne was great "Goodnight folks." I also read some of the comic book summaries and the story seemed kind of dumb.

Overall a pretty good show that was very inconsistent; aka season 4. I love the idea of having an entire serialized season but they ruined Cordelia and Connor fucking blows.

Currently watching:

Supernatural Season 2 -recently got the Blu ray for season 4, so I thought a rewatch was in order

Dollhouse- after finishing Angel i decided to give the second season a shot. Two episodes down and I really haven't cared for either episode. Pretty cool seeing Wesley in the show though.

Upcoming:
Band of Brothers- getting ready for The Pacific

Mad Men- I watched the first two episodes of the show about 2 years ago and didnt really care for it. I figured I give it another go since everybody seems to love the show now.

Coop said:
Dollhouse- after finishing Angel i decided to give the second season a shot. Two episodes down and I really haven't cared for either episode. Pretty cool seeing Wesley in the show though.

Definitely keep going, it picks up alot very quickly after a few so-so eps at the start. If you haven't seen the 13th Season 1 ep 'Epitaph One' then you need to check that out too, gives a good indication of how good the show can be.

Zeliard

Magnus said:
I've somehow managed to never see a single episode of any of these shows (and I call myself a huge TV fan, go figure). O wize gaf, what should I prioritize?

The Sopranos
Mad Men
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Arrested Development
Veronica Mars (I lied for this one, saw the pilot so far, and I dig it)

If it helps, my favorites include anything by Joss Whedon, Lost, and BSG.

Feel free to say "just watch all of them".

30 Rock was on this list, and I have a mad hard-on for Tina Fey's style, so I just blitzed through all of seasons 1-3 and am so grateful I did. Fucking brilliant stuff. Long live this show.

Outside of The Wire, The Sopranos is the best dramatic TV show of this decade, and from what I've watched, Arrested Development is the funniest and wittiest .

So I would choose between those two, depending on the sort of mood you're in.

I've never personally seen Veronica Mars before, though. Mad Men and Curb are also fantastic.

And to those just starting out The Wire, it's a slow (and complex) burn, so don't get turned off by the first few eps. They throw a lot at you especially at the start of Season 1 when you don't know anyone, but everything comes together soon enough, and you'll become hooked to its sheer greatness.

Drewsky

Zeliard said:
And to those just starting out The Wire, it's a slow (and complex) burn, so don't get turned off by the first few eps. They throw a lot at you especially at the start of Season 1 when you don't know anyone, but everything comes together soon enough, and you'll become hooked to its sheer greatness.

Yeah, I had to watch the first episode twice because I couldn't follow it. Call me an idiot but they wasted no time with exposition at all and I just could not keep up. But I'm looking forward to watching more, haven't had time to start episode 2 yet.

CiSTM

Banned
Finished Deadwood few days back. Great fucking show. While I did disslike some of the sub plots of Deadwood I just loved Swearengen and E.B Farnum. Two best characters in tv history. I especially loved Wu's and Swearegen's little conversations :lol Also Richardson and his heathen ways were amusing from time to time. Really sad that the show was cancelled(?).

BTW how would have thought that Ian McShane (Swearegen) is 67 years old irl O_O

Krowley

Drewsky said:
Yeah, I had to watch the first episode twice because I couldn't follow it. Call me an idiot but they wasted no time with exposition at all and I just could not keep up. But I'm looking forward to watching more, haven't had time to start episode 2 yet.

I enjoyed the first two seasons, but I didn't realize how truly great it was until the 3rd season. The later seasons actually make the first few seasons better in an odd way. I think that if I watched seasons 1 and 2 again, I would end up liking them a lot more than I did the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom