• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

koam said:
I even made a thread about it not even a week before I finished it :lol

Things I've seen recently or in the past 4-5 years

• 24 (seen it all, can't wait for new season)
  • Weeds (i'm two seasons behind)
  • Arrested Development (possibly my
  • Nip/Tuck (ugh this show sucks so much but i can't stop watching)
  • Dexter (Only saw the first season, will give it a second chance eventually)
  • Always Sunny in Philadelphia (funniest show on TV right now)
  • Mad Men (awesome show)
  • Californication (my must watch show right now, can't get enough of it)
  • Entourage (it's entertaining)
  • Office, Community, 30 rock and all those NBC shows (they're alright)
  • Sopranos (stopped at season 3, worth continuing?)
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm (awesome, getting better with time)
  • Lost (great though it would have been way better had the writers thought out the story ahead of time instead of winging it)
  • Heroes (gave up at the end of season 3, don't watch this pile of crap)

So what should I watch next? I'm thinking of giving The Wire a shot, or maybe finish Sopranos. Rome is another. What do you guys suggest giving what I like and don't like from above?

I just watched through Rome a couple months ago. Incredible show.

koam

beelzebozo said:
if you don't mind the pace of MAD MEN, you're pretty likely to dig THE WIRE, koam.

People tell me that I won't understand a word and that i need subtitles, is that true :lol

I have the first season here, maybe i'll give it a shot tonight

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
koam said:
I even made a thread about it not even a week before I finished it :lol
Yeah but you hooked off after season 1 :(

koam said:
Yeah.. but I heard the gangster talk is a bit much :p
I had no problem with it but watched it with subs anyway! :) It's a great show, but you have to invest time in it and might not even get into it until the end of season one. You'll appreciate it even more then though. I can type up many words on this but you just have to experience it yourself.

Jersey shores is great television! I'm also wrapping up season 4 of dexter and season 2 of the wire (started with s3 and wrapped around to s2). And the 30 for 30 sports doc on espn

edit: forgot, friday night lights!

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
I started watching Star Trek: The Next Generation recently.

It makes me feel like all my years of nerding have kinda apexed.

Drewsky

I was bored of the shows I'm chewing through right now so I was browsing the Netflix Instant watch selection and I watched the first couple of episodes of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. I had heard it was good from a guy I work with.

I kinda like it.

CiSTM

Banned
Started watching Futurama (s2) and it is good as ever. Can't wait for the new season. Also I bought Sons of Anarchy s1 on blu-ray and all the good word it's getting from GAF I'm expecting a lot. Gonna start it tomorrow.

Watched episode 5 of Men of a Certain Age. It was one big 'Rocky' love-in. :D I absolutely adore the dialogue between the three leads, it's just wonderful, epsecially the conversations they have at the diner.

gdt

Archer was soooooooo unfunny.

Another "whats gdt watching" post (all *=rewatches):

Babylon 5 S4*
Lost S5*
Mad Men S1*
Battlestar Galactica S1*
Flight Of The Concords S2
Curb Your Enthusiasm S6*

Plus the weekly shows.

Blader

Finished watching:
Freaks and Geeks - great great show, it lived up to the hype. Even though it still followed some of the cliches of other high school shows, those are easily forgiven in light of the excellent, and very genuine, cast.

Started watching
Undeclared - I got into this after loving Freaks and Geeks so much. Only 3 episodes in, not terribly impressed with it so far, but I'm sure it'll pick up. Jason Segel is the best part of this show.

Flight of the Conchords - Got the DVD as a late Christmas gift. I've only watched the first episode so far, but it was absolutely hilarious. Can't wait to dig into this some more.

Gave up on
Chuck - Stopped watching this halfway through season 1 (last episode I saw was "Chuck vs. the Alma Mater). It just didn't do it me. I didn't think it was all that funny and the whole geek element feels very forced. Also doesn't help that I find Chuck himself annoying. The women are pretty damn hot though. :lol

Firefly - Watched the first four or so episodes, didn't feel compelled to watch any more. It's not a terrible show, and I kind of like the characters, but the stories are so damn boring and it started to become a chore to watch. Though at the very least, it was better than the first four episodes of Dollhouse.

I'm not watching too much at the moment - Chuck, FNL, Modern Family, and NBC Thursday comedy shows. Looking forward to a number of things starting soon including Caprica, Spartacus (figure I'll give it a shot), and Damages. Actually, haven't decided if I'm going to watch Damages for this season. S2 was something of a disappointment. Might wait for the dvd. Can't wait for Party Down and Breaking Bad to come back. Oh, The Pacific should be great, too.

gdt5016 said:
Archer was soooooooo unfunny.
Really? Hmm, guess I'll watch the premiere and see how it is.
Blader5489 said:
Chuck - Stopped watching this halfway through season 1 (last episode I saw was "Chuck vs. the Alma Mater). It just didn't do it me.
If you made it through Alma Mater and didn't like it, then it's probably best that you stop there. That's when it all started to come together for me. S2 >>> S1, but sounds like you're just not digging it.

tirminyl

Just finished:

True Blood: Love this show. Such a shame I must wait until summer for the 3rd season.

Torchwood S1: I like it. Kinda cheesy but cool show. Didn't realize I had seen two episodes already until I finished season 1.

The Sanctuary S1: I really like this show. Just started watching it on a whim and completed the first season from Netflix.

Just started:

Torchwood S2

Lined Up:

The Sanctuary S2
The Tudors
Dead Like Me
Dr. Who

Gave Up:
House

McNei1y

Just Recently Friday Night Lights all 4 seasons over a week last week.

Rewatching Lost to be refreshed all the junk thats happened.

Holy shit. Just watched the beginning miniseries and the entire first season of Battlestar Galactica. I'm so fucking hooked it's not even funny. I love it when I latch on to shows like this.

gdt

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Holy shit. Just watched the beginning miniseries and the entire first season of Battlestar Galactica. I'm so fucking hooked it's not even funny. I love it when I latch on to shows like this.

Just wait till S4...

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
LabouredSubterfuge said:

I loved it until about midway through season 2 then they start the random filler bullshit.

The Chef

dexter_1%5B5%5D.jpg

Just finished the first season. BEST SHOW EVER.

Currently Watching-

Big Love- Just got 3 episodes into season 3 and am loving this show. Its really a lot of fun for something I would imagine to be incredibly boring. It has some really great characters. Will probably rush through within the next two days to get ready for the new season that just started.

Rome- I just started season 2, and boy is this show getting fucked up and awesome. This is some serious drama and I am loving it. And one scene near the end of S1 that was so badass I am a loss for words...
The gladiator scene with Tidus Pullo was amazing. Goriest thing I have seen on an HBO show thats for sure.

Supernatural- On the fourth disk of season 2 and am enjoying it. Its a pretty fun show. I am liking how they have an ongoing plot that is noticeable even in episodes that feel episodic. Overall its pretty fun, but I am still waiting for the insane later seasons I have heard so much about.

Whats next-

The Tudors- My parents told me its pretty good and its all on my Netflix instant so I should at least give it a chance.

Band of Brothers- I hear good things about it.

The Prisoner- I have had the classic for a while now and I should finally get around to watching it soon.

Lost Final Season- Can't wait!

icarus-daedelus said:
Cowboy Bebop has a very similar premise and, if you can tolerate Japanese animation (teh animu), it's pretty awesome in its own right. Farscape is sort of similar, too, though without the bounty hunter aspect, and although it takes some time to warm up to, there are four full seasons and a miniseries, so it won't go by as quickly as Firefly or Bebop.
Haha, funny. I compared it to Bebop, too (watched the whole series last year). It's really the closest thing I can think of although it's anime. I tried to get into Farscape but it didn't click. I simply didn't like the characters...
Anyway, I'm watching Battlestar Galactica now for the first time and it's great. :D The characters are well developed, just what I needed. I watched season one in two sessions! I'm always quite forgiving regarding filler episodes as long as they're not too shitty so I expect to be hooked for some time now.

gdt

Actually, I really liked the finale, but more or less HATED S4.

I'll rewatch it soon, lets see if my opinion changes.

Edit: This is about BSG, btw.

Blader

GrumpyAlien said:
Rome- I just started season 2, and boy is this show getting fucked up and awesome. This is some serious drama and I am loving it. And one scene near the end of S1 that was so badass I am a loss for words...
The gladiator scene with Tidus Pullo was amazing. Goriest thing I have seen on an HBO show thats for sure.

THIRTEENTH!!

koam

Teetris said:
Yeah but you hooked off after season 1 :(

I had no problem with it but watched it with subs anyway! :) It's a great show, but you have to invest time in it and might not even get into it until the end of season one. You'll appreciate it even more then though. I can type up many words on this but you just have to experience it yourself.

The Wire is pretty good so far, I'm on episode 10 of season 1.

Coop

Decado said:
I loved parts of season 4.0 (the string of battle episodes). Once season 4.5 came 'round, though, it turned to crap.

The first three episodes of 4.5 were good but after that it's boring. It feels like they had 1 episode worth of stories span out to 5 episodes. Plus they really should have done the
origins of the final five cylons better. Not all that exploitation
. If sci fi kept the seasons to 13 episodes the show would be so much better.

I do need to get around to rewatching the series but I have no desire at the moment.

icarus-daedelus said:
What battle episodes? I don't remember that much of the "pew pew lazers" in S4.0 other than maybe one episode near the end. Are you thinking of the (S4 spoilaz)
mutiny episodes
? Because those were in season 4.5...

I think he's talking about episode 9. The one where they
rescue Dianna, number 3 or whatever her name was

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Finished Reaper season 1, pretty good show, put it with Psych as buddy comedy thats enjoyable to watch. Gonna start season 2 soon. Also watching Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 3.

icarus-daedelus said:
I'm definitely glad that cable TV has started a trend of 12-13 episode seasons in the past few years, and I hope it bleeds down to the networks so we no longer have to tolerate 20-24 ep. seasons.
Me too. They're so much more efficient with the storytelling when they only have 12-13 episodes per season.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Coop said:
The first three episodes of 4.5 were good but after that it's boring. It feels like they had 1 episode worth of stories span out to 5 episodes. Plus they really should have done the
origins of the final five cylons better. Not all that exploitation
. If sci fi kept the seasons to 13 episodes the show would be so much better.

I have to agree, multiple times through BSG I felt like they were trying to drag out an idea for to long.

But I feel that way about SciFi quite often.

G-Fex

There's a Leverage marathon going on right now and I fucking love the show. Plus it has that dude from Angel and I always liked him.

adg1034

For a while, Disney had a run of great cartoon series. God, I miss those days. Recently, I missed them to the point of wanton nostalgia. So, after a bit of internet sleuthing, I rediscovered Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, a kids show I used to watch back around 2000-1. And, surprisingly, it's still really good. There's a lot of Futurama in here. Less character development, obviously, since it's a kids show, but the humor (impeccably smart, and I'm not just comparing it to other kids shows, here), the animation, and the legitimately creative stories all come together to make something genuinely awesome.

But even the voice talent alone (both main cast and guests) is enough to recommend it- Wayne Newton as the Evil Emperor Zurg, Patrick Warburton as Buzz Lightyear, Bill Mumy (Lennier from Babylon 5), Stephen Furst (Vil Kotto from Babylon 5), Neil Flynn (The Janitor from Scrubs), Jonathan Harris (the doctor from the original Lost in Space), Barney Martin (Morty Seinfeld), Diedrich Bader ("Two chicks at the same time..."), Linda Hamilton (Sarah Connor), Adam Carolla, Jon Favreau, Brad Garrett, Stephen Root, Jim Cummings, Clancy Brown, Tony Jay, Craig Ferguson...

The scary part? It's actually decent sci-fi. Sure, there are a couple plot holes here and there, but the show does a fantastic job of creating something worth watching within the confines of what little backstory Disney/Pixar had given Buzz. The planets, aliens, races, governments, and even Star Command itself are, for the most part, fresh and original, and serve to complement the story in each episode.

There are a few of them up on YouTube, but I'll just link to one of my favorites (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3). In addition to being a hilarious take on old monster movies, this episode includes the best "They actually allowed them to say that?" joke on children's television this side of Animaniac's "Fingerprints!" gag. I won't spoil it here. (Note the fact that I just said that about a kids show.)

I can count the number of children's shows worth watching just for the humor on one hand. This is one of them. But it's its other elements that move it from just being funny into a combined whole that's seriously worthwhile.

icarus-daedelus said:
Yeah. On one end, you have the classic network model of 24 or (back in the day) even 26 episodes, which invariably leads to a flabby season with, in the case of serialized shows, lots of filler. On the other hand, you have the British model of 6 or 7 episodes per season, which I personally think is a bit too short. I think the premium cable model strikes a nice balance between the two.
QFT
IAWTP
FTW
etc.

Saya

Ok, Supernatural really gets better and better! I'm at season 3 now and it really is fantastic now. When did this show get so funny? That episode with the rabbit's foot and the ghostfacers one area really hilarious. Can't wait to see the rest of the season.

I'm enjoying most of the characters too except for
Bella. Will anything interesting happen to her? The only thing she does is being annoying and steal a precious artifact.

Saya

Salazar said:
Wow. I thought the Ghostfacers episode was some of the worst tv I'd ever seen.

Really? I thought it was pretty funny. Maybe you haven't seen real bad television yet! Consider yourself lucky! :lol

dorkimoe

watched wire season 1, was good. took me awhile to get into it. Watched like 2 episodes couldnt get into it, so taking a break

Going to start sopranos for the first time, or maybe 24?

Jay Sosa

Need some comedy show recommendations, please

What I've seen and love(d):

Trailer Park
Office
IT Crowd
Entourage
Curb your
Scrubs
Office US
Eastbound
Chuck
Entourage
Arrested Development
Always Sunny
30 Rock
Flight of the Conchords
Earl

O.k./mediocre:

Parks and..
Modern Family (started out great but got meh pretty quick)
Reaper
Better of Ted

Am not too fond of shows with a laugh track, but heard really good things about HIMYM and this other show with the Geeks, and is Community any good?

Thanks in advance!

To stay on topic: Currently watching Generation Kill, interesting and shocking at the same time. Don't know how accurate the Marine Corps/the invasion of Iraq is portrayed in this, but it's gotta be pretty fucked up invading a country you know shit of and where death is around the corner nearly everywhere.

Blader

Jay Sosa said:

Community is really good. As is Freaks and Geeks (though it's more of a drama/comedy than just a straight comedy).

Also, look into Kenny vs Spenny. I don't think any show has made me laugh harder than KvS.

Jay Sosa

Doesn't need to be straight up comedy, just should be entertaining. Thanks!

BTW: Love your avatar, thats Evangeline Lilly right?

So, around October last year I started watching Dexter with my friend. She forced me to sit down and watch the first few episodes of Season 1 on Netflix with her and I've been hooked ever since. We went through Season 1 and Season 2 on Streaming and had the DVDs for Season 3 delivered, just the other night (Tuesday) we finished up with the last episode of Season 4. Basically, every other couple of days we'd stuff in like 3 hours of Dexter in a row. Holy shit, that show is amazing, after months of watching it so often I'm kind of in a state of withdrawal knowing I won't see another episode until September especially with the way Season 4 finished
Rita dead, fuck fuck fuck.

Anyone have any recommendations on some other shows to watch in a similar vein to Dexter? A really well acted dark drama series. I was kind of leaning towards Six Feet Under since it was so critically acclaimed when it was out and because Michael C. Hall was in it but I would really like a show that's still on the air. I have access to everything in Netflix's catalog obviously so it would be best if it was in there - streaming even better - but not necessary.

Also, on a totally unrelated tangent, I got way into The Office again (used to watch back around Season 1 and 2 but stopped), caught myself up with the last 3 seasons. That show just keeps getting better.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Jay Sosa said:

What I've seen and love(d):

Trailer Park
Office
IT Crowd
Entourage
Curb your
Scrubs
Office US
Eastbound
Chuck
Entourage
Arrested Development
Always Sunny
30 Rock
Flight of the Conchords
Earl

O.k./mediocre:

Parks and..
Modern Family (started out great but got meh pretty quick)
Reaper
Better of Ted

Party Down! Hilarious show on Starz about a bunch of fuck ups in Hollywood working as caterers.

And yeah Community is pretty good too. But I'd put it on par wit the shows you thought were ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom