• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Drewsky said:
Yeah, I had to watch the first episode twice because I couldn't follow it. Call me an idiot but they wasted no time with exposition at all and I just could not keep up. But I'm looking forward to watching more, haven't had time to start episode 2 yet.
Good way to watch it, is to read a individual episode summary of a episode you just watched at the : http://thewire.wikia.com/wiki/The_Wire_on_HBO.
I enjoyed the first two seasons, but I didn't realize how truly great it was until the 3rd season. The later seasons actually make the first few seasons better in an odd way. I think that if I watched seasons 1 and 2 again, I would end up liking them a lot more than I did the first time.
Yep, same deal for me. It's one show that i really want to re-watch from the beginning again. But i haven't had the time. I'm curious to see how i'd react to the first season. With the luxury of knowing how it all played out for the characters.

Yaweee

Akia said:
I watched Season 1 of Damages last weekend and holy freaking crap it was awesome.

Željko Ivanek totally deserved that emmy last year, even though at the time I couldn't believe that he beat Micheal Emerson in that category.

This post motivated me to watch Season 1 of Damages this week, and holy freaking crap it was awesome. Unless S2 is a serious drop in quality, this might become one of my favorite shows.

Zeljko is great in Oz, if you haven't watched that at all.

tjohn86

Just finished watching The Corner. Highly recommended, especially for anyone who liked The Wire.

Who doesn't like the wire?

Shiiiiieeeeet

Eric Hall

Show I haven't seen before:

Kings -- What an awesome show, I wish I watched it while it was on the air

Next Up: Chuck

Show I have seen before, but watching them again:

Space Ghost: Coast to Coast -- Forgot how hysterical this show is

Next up: How I Met Your Mother

Drewsky

Still watching FNL. About halfway through the second season, still loving it. Couple people in this thread said that the 2nd season was the weakest, just wanted to hear what you guys didn't like about it. Keep in mind I'm not all the way through (probably should have asked this once I was finished) but just interested in finding out what everyone didn't like about it.

Also still watching The Wire. Still haven't finished the first disc, but I'm definitely starting to dig it.

gdt

Drewsky said:
Still watching FNL. About halfway through the second season, still loving it. Couple people in this thread said that the 2nd season was the weakest, just wanted to hear what you guys didn't like about it. Keep in mind I'm not all the way through (probably should have asked this once I was finished) but just interested in finding out what everyone didn't like about it.

Also still watching The Wire. Still haven't finished the first disc, but I'm definitely starting to dig it.

Murder.

Bloody fucking Murder.

Shark Blood.

Christianity.

Julie turns into the worst person on the planet.

Another race plot towards the end.

The writers kind of lost their way when started off S2. They got their mojo back around halfway though, and kicked out the Nip/Tuck writers.

I finished S1 of Babylon 5. Not that bad after all! Really picked up towards the end.

Already started on S2. I will miss
Sinclair
a lot but this new guy seems pretty good.

Drewsky

gdt5016 said:
Murder.

Bloody fucking Murder.

Shark Blood.

Christianity.

Julie turns into the worst person on the planet.

Another race plot towards the end.

I didn't mind the murder thing too much, it was cheesy but I could handle it. Yeah, I fucking hate Julie too. And the Christianity thing is really annoying, but I thought it was hilarious how Riggins handled it. Also didn't mind the shark blood stuff too much. If I didn't have problems with this stuff I guess I'm in for a treat the next few seasons.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Drewsky said:

The main two reasons are the - the murder and can't say the orther one as you are only half-way through the season.

But yeah those two things, are probably what went wrong with S2 of FNL, because when the first one dies out, the season seems to magically get better.:lol

dorkimoe

That 70s show. Watching all of those. Gonna rewatch lost 1-5 before 2-2-10. Then sopranos for the first time. Also people watching the wire don't feel bad for not getting it. I also rewatched the first 2 episodes twice

Almost done with Season 1 of Rome. Holy shit this show is awesome. Especially Tidus Pullo. One of the most badass characters I have seen in a while. Kinda glad I waited till now to watch it because I can see it on BluRay. Also glad I am pretty historically ignorant when it comes to Roman history. Makes the story totally fresh to me.

user_nat said:
Just started watching Better Off Ted.

Its decent.. I guess..

I don't know about you, but I didn't really appreciate the show until I reflected on it a few weeks later. It's good, but it will always be stuck in Andy Richter Controls The Universe's illustrious shadow.

WyndhamPrice said:
I finished S1 of Babylon 5. Not that bad after all! Really picked up towards the end.

Sinclair
Sinclair sucks compared to Sheridan.

Timbuktu

Still waiting for FNL to start again and perhaps Mad Men will get here in a couple of months. I caught the Outnumbered for the first time with their Christmas special on the BBC and loved it, the first family sit-com for almost a decade that felt fresh. So I went back and started to watch the first two series and see what I've missed. It's perhaps less relatable for me than The Inbetweeners and I can definitely see it putting people off from ever having kids, but it is brilliant.

Outnumbered-2009-Christma-001.jpg

CiSTM

Banned
WyndhamPrice said:

Sinclair

You will love Sheridan. He really grows on to you, just like the rest of the cast. You will be amazed how much development the characters go through during the seasons. Especially G'kar. I hope you end up liking the show as much I did back in the days. S2 is really good but the show only gets better in s3 and s4 :)

gdt

WyndhamPrice said:

Sinclair

Sinclair is a total shithead compared to the awesomeness of Sheridan.

Have watched all 13 episodes of Glee now, absolutely adore it. My only real issues with the show are the pre-recorded/auto-tuned songs but even that I can't stay too mad at cause the show as a whole is just so good.

Gonna be a long wait till April, planning on just having the soundtrack on loop till then :lol

Salazar

GrumpyAlien said:
Thanks. I think I might check it out after I finish the show.

Holland was a pulp vampire novelist before he was a historian; well, he studied classics, then wrote delightfully gory trash, and then returned to the field. I had an idea of the violence of the times (Sulla in particular), but Holland—like 'Rome'—makes it all rather horrifyingly clear and entertaining.

His book on the Persians and on the turn of the first millennium are also very fine, but 'Rubicon' is fucking glorious. Amazon should bundle it with the series.

gdt5016 said:
Sinclair is a total shithead compared to the awesomeness of Sheridan.

Jeez, I didn't realize people felt that strongly about the two.

I'm sure I will learn to like Sheridan. In fact, I already do! I just got used to Sinclair after a whole season with him. It's unusual in TV land to have the dynamic shaken up like that after the first season, but it's refreshing in a way.

I was disappointed that G'Kar kind of disappeared in the back half of season 1, I hope he's around more going forward. Londo is great, though.

gdt

Nah, Sinclair is fine and all, but he's no Sheridan.

Sheridan is the better actor, and a total badass where Sinclair wasn't, or couldn't pull it off.

bh7812

Banned
JodyAnthony said:
Got Perfect Strangers season 1&2 from my wife as an early christmas present and watched a couple episodes last night. so awesome.

That series really was great, it's one of my favorite sitcoms too! They sure don't make TV shows like that anymore :(

Anyway..this isn't all in one sitting of course but this is pretty much EVERYTHING I've watched between the beginning of May and now...

The entire series run of Perfect Strangers...I actually hadn't ever seen the last few seasons of it, only bits and pieces of those last few years and glad I finally had the chance to. Granted I'm missing a few episodes but only a few of them and I'd seen those when the series was originally on TV.

The entire series runs of Family Matters and Step By Step...the last season of these two shows was in 1998, my last year of High School so I didn't get to see what ended up being the last season of both shows. I was glad I finally got to see the ends of both shows. Both really good sitcoms overall.

Every Jay Leno Show from Sept 14th up until November 30th..I still have the December shows to watch yet but good grief this was a LOT of content! I'm finally almost caught up thankfully. I sure won't get 3 months behind again that's for sure! I'm trying to build a complete archive of the show so that's why I have all the shows between Sept 14th and the last one before the Christmas break.

The entire series run of Time Trax..I HIGHLY recommend this Sci-Fi show to everyone. Really great Sci-Fi show that got cancelled too soon :( I'd seen everything but the final 2 episodes when it originally ran and have finally seen the two missing episodes.

So I've watched a LOT of stuff this year. I'm finally about caught up with everything I needed to watch thankfully!

JaCy

I got all three seasons of 30 Rock for Christmas, and have been watching it since. I also started watching the fifth season of Lost in time for the sixth season next month.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
30 Rock. I saw episodes before, but didn't do it for me. It's an acquired taste though, gotta appreciate the humor.

Planning on Jericho next

Teetris said:
30 Rock. I saw episodes before, but didn't do it for me. It's an acquired taste though, gotta appreciate the humor.

Planning on Jericho next

Assuming you mean the (cancelled) US show, SO MUCH YES. Loved that show, was heartbroken when it got cancelled....twice.

Fladam

Parks and Rec gets better and better.

I watched the Lost Seasons 1-5 recap and then kicked myself for not watching the last five years.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Fladam said:
Parks and Rec gets better and better.

I watched the Lost Seasons 1-5 recap and then kicked myself for not watching the last five years.

i rewatched the finale of the fifth season of LOST last night, and i was ruminating on how confused i would have been had i watched the pilot, then watched the fifth season finale. how far removed from its original premise it has become :lol

Fladam

beelzebozo said:
i rewatched the finale of the fifth season of LOST last night, and i was ruminating on how confused i would have been had i watched the pilot, then watched the fifth season finale. how far removed from its original premise it has become :lol

I watched a few episodes of the first season and ditched it after I figured the writers didn't know where they were going with the show. After watching the recap, I feel like they pulled a Tyree and somehow ended up with gold.

Anyone watch Men Of A Certain Age? I fucking love it. And this is from someone who usually hates anything with Ray Romano's name all over it.

Memles

chalkitdown1 said:
Anyone watch Men Of A Certain Age? I fucking love it. And this is from someone who usually hates anything with Ray Romano's name all over it.

I wouldn't use expletives in my enjoyment of the series, perhaps, but I'm enjoying it. There's a subtlety to its storytelling that's allowing the show to connect with audiences beyond its titular demographic, and the performances (from Romano and Braugher, especially) have been great.

Saya

Blasting my way through the first season of Supernatural. Pretty cool so far. I'm always a sucker for these supernatural shows. I'm at episode 11 now and I think they finally start to focus more on the main storyline of the season. Hope it's good.

Memles said:
There's a subtlety

One of the things I love about it. For example, the scene in episode 1 where Joe
tries to goad the bookie into shooting him
. All the acting in that scene was done with Ray Romano's eyes. And the scene in episode 2 with his wife, I loved how underplayed and real it was. I dunno, maybe I'm getting over-excited about it because there's very few gimmick-free dramas like this on tv nowadays. I have a whole new-found respect for Ray Romano after watching 4 episodes of it, though. Guy's got some acting chops.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i love, love, love the cast of MEN OF A CERTAIN AGE. it's so fantastic to see bakula and braugher back on television, and romano--though i never really liked ELR--is pretty decent. sometimes i think the situations they set up are a little contrived and overly quirky (
the scene with the rock grave at the end of the pilot comes to mind
), but in the end it just boils down to this: while the show is on, i'm enjoying it, and so i keep watching.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i liked DEAD LIKE ME a lot less than pretty much everyone else in the world, i think. same goes for PUSHING DAISIES. maybe i'm just not into bryan fuller's style.

his STAR TREK DS9 episodes are fantastic, however

Saya said:
Blasting my way through the first season of Supernatural. Pretty cool so far. I'm always a sucker for these supernatural shows. I'm at episode 11 now and I think they finally start to focus more on the main storyline of the season. Hope it's good.

I also started watching this recently. Just finished season 1 on Friday. Gotta say, I thought it was very boring for the most part. Only episodes 1, 2, 9, 11, 16 and the last 3 or 4 had anything to do with the main plot of the season. I could have easily skipped all but those episodes and be no worse off. Everything else has been standard 'monster of the week' type episodes, with maybe a line or two at the start or end about their father.

I don't want it to seem like I'm being too mean, there's nothing wrong with stand-alone episodes per say, it's just not interesting to me in the slightest. Not really my thing. I much, much much prefer serialised shows. I don't care about these characters or whether Dean & Sam kill the demon or not when it all means absolutely nothing come the next episode, y'know? I feel the same about House(the 'patients-of-the-week' are the worst thing about that show by far) or the first season and a half of Chuck. When Chuck ditched the 'formula' in the latter half of season 2 it got about a million times better. Not that I wasn't enjoying it in the first place, but it just got so much better. I need some on-going narrative to keep me entertained. At least those shows had B-plots with the Doctors/Buy More staff/relationship stuff etc, that carried over from episode to episode, whereas in Supernatural, for the most part, there was nothing
My friend, who got me into the show, says it gets more 'arc based' from season 2 onwards, though, so I'm looking forward to that.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
randomlyrossy said:
Assuming you mean the (cancelled) US show, SO MUCH YES. Loved that show, was heartbroken when it got cancelled....twice.
Oh yes, that's the one. I got off in episode 3 or 4 then heard it was cancelled so didn't go into it again but I want to see the rest anyway.

koam said:
I saw all of Entourage in like a week. It's my guilty pleasure.
Did it in 4 days. Such an addicting thing to watch back to back :lol

bjaelke

Got into a wliia frenzy after finding an old VHS tape at my parents house.

"This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3."

bh7812

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Wait...

you caught up on the Jay Leno Show?

Holy mother of Christ.

I wanted to make sure I answered this!!

Yep, caught up on The Jay Leno Show..of the 71 shows done so far, I have all 71 and have seen 55 of them. Just the 16 from December to go and I'll be caught up to now finally.

After watching all that content my reaction was pretty much the same as yours. I do enjoy his show though so building this archive and watching the shows has been worth it for me.

Edit: took a little over a month to get through the first 55 episodes.

koam

Teetris said:
Oh yes, that's the one. I got off in episode 3 or 4 then heard it was cancelled so didn't go into it again but I want to see the rest anyway.

Did it in 4 days. Such an addicting thing to watch back to back :lol

I even made a thread about it not even a week before I finished it :lol

Things I've seen recently or in the past 4-5 years

• 24 (seen it all, can't wait for new season)
  • Weeds (i'm two seasons behind)
  • Arrested Development (possibly my favorite show of all time)
  • Nip/Tuck (ugh this show sucks so much but i can't stop watching)
  • Dexter (Only saw the first season, will give it a second chance eventually)
  • Always Sunny in Philadelphia (funniest show on TV right now)
  • Mad Men (awesome show)
  • Californication (my must watch show right now, can't get enough of it)
  • Entourage (it's entertaining)
  • Office, Community, 30 rock and all those NBC shows (they're alright)
  • Sopranos (stopped at season 3, worth continuing?)
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm (awesome, getting better with time)
  • Lost (great though it would have been way better had the writers thought out the story ahead of time instead of winging it)
  • Heroes (gave up at the end of season 3, don't watch this pile of crap)

So what should I watch next? I'm thinking of giving The Wire a shot, or maybe finish Sopranos. Rome is another. What do you guys suggest given what I like and don't like from above?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom