• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirminyl

I really wished I would have finished watching Sanctuary S1 earlier because I thought S2 was already on dvd. Today I find out is S2 finale and that SyFy plays episodes online a week after it airs. FFFFFF!!!!! I really want to watch it but the earliest I can view is the Veritas episode up until the finale tonight.

I really wish Netflix would actively stream this season like they do with Legend of the Seeker.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Need some comedy show recommendations, please

It's hard to think of anything outside of that list, but I'd recommend Strangers With Candy. It's a really funny, twisted and bizarre show that was on Comedy Central. It might still be on Hulu.

Jay Sosa

Thanks!

Watched 5 of 7 eposodes of Generation Kill and it's brilliant, can only recommend it to anyone who is slightly interested in the topic.

CiSTM

Banned
Finished Sons of Anarchy S1. It was okay but I had some issues with it. Main issue was the characters. They really didn't pass as bikers for me, especially the main guy. It is still quality tv and I will buy S2 soon as it's out on BD.

Big Love - Perhaps the most annoying cast of characters of any tv show. I hardly have a violent bone in my body but I seriously want to punch most of these people in the face, especially Margene, Wanda, Ronda, and Nicolette. Horrible acting doesn't help either.

Men of a Certain Age - Really enjoying this one so far.

gdt

jon_irenicus said:
Big Love - Perhaps the most annoying cast of characters of any tv show. I hardly have a violent bone in my body but I seriously want to punch most of these people in the face, especially Margene, Wanda, Ronda, and Nicolette. Horrible acting doesn't help either.

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

The cast is what makes it great!

satriales

Jay Sosa said:

What I've seen and love(d):

Trailer Park
Office
IT Crowd
Entourage
Curb your
Scrubs
Office US
Eastbound
Chuck
Entourage
Arrested Development
Always Sunny
30 Rock
Flight of the Conchords
Earl

O.k./mediocre:

Parks and..
Modern Family (started out great but got meh pretty quick)
Reaper
Better of Ted

Am not too fond of shows with a laugh track, but heard really good things about HIMYM and this other show with the Geeks, and is Community any good?

Thanks in advance!
If you liked The IT Crowd and The Office UK then I'd recommend a few other Brittish comedies:

Peep Show, The Thick of It, and Spaced don't have laughter tracks.
Other recommendations: Father Ted, I'm Alan Partridge, Black Books.

gdt5016 said:
FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

The cast is what makes it great!

Barb (boss wife) and Bill's kooky mom are probably the only cast members I respect on this show.

Other current shows I'm watching:

Good
Breaking Bad
Friday Night Lights
Lost
Mad Men
Men of a Certain Age
The Office
Rescue Me
Sons of Anarchy

OK
Dexter
FlashForward
Law and Order: Criminal Intent
The Tudors

Potentially dropping
Big Love
Entourage
Weeds

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
jon_irenicus said:

Your opinion has now been deemed irrelevant.

Robin

I finished Six Feet Under in the wee hours of this morning and it pretty much made me cry! =( I absolutely loved it. Michael C. Hall was exceptional as well as Frances Conroy and Rachel Griffiths. After initially disliking Brenda, the last season totally changed my view on her and I ended up having the most sympathy for her. I also changed my opinion on Claire too after finding her intolerable for for most of the series.

Also, in the final season,
Nate's death hit me really hard. I had a feeling he would die before the show ended as it felt like it was all leading to that but the recurrence of his AVM and then suddenly passing away when it looked like he recovered came out of nowhere. In the funeral episode, it was lesson in how not to grieve by the Fisher's.

It took me a while to get into it but by the end I was hooked and so invested in the characters. Apart from some of the stuff in season 3 and most of season 4 it has been one of the best shows I've ever watched.

Now that I have finally cleared that from my boxset backlog, I can focus on current shows. Mad Men season 3 is the next one I have to catch up on and its just started on TV here in Ireland.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Jay Sosa said:

What I've seen and love(d):

IT Crowd

Black Books and Father Ted are British shows by the same guy (Gary Lineham) and just as funny.

Currently catching up on everything im behind. I'm avoiding the Dollhouse thread until im completely caught up, but i just wanted to say HOLY FRAKKING CRAP. Getting canceled seems to be the best thing to happen to this show, they are going all out. Sweet jesus, its awesome.

icarus-daedelus said:
Yeah. On one end, you have the classic network model of 24 or (back in the day) even 26 episodes, which invariably leads to a flabby season with, in the case of serialized shows, lots of filler. On the other hand, you have the British model of 6 or 7 episodes per season, which I personally think is a bit too short. I think the premium cable model strikes a nice balance between the two.

Yep, totally agree with this. Ideally BSG should have been 5, 13 episode seasons.

adg1034

Cornballer said:
What's the verdict on Human Target?

Cheese, but cheese that features Chi McBride (Pushing Daisies) and Jackie Earle Haley (motherflippin' Rorschach). Not to mention music by Bear McCreary of BSG fame. Respectable fight scenes, kind of boring premise ("He's a bodyguard for hire, who more than likely has some sort of death wish because of his secret past..."), but it was a decent way to spend 42 minutes. Just be warned- this first episode has a decently long teaser, so give it until a couple minutes past the opening credits before deciding.

yacobod

Banned
Blader5489 said:
THIRTEENTH!!

that episode is really the culmination of all kinds of win

my favorite t-shirt a few years ago was an hbo 13th legion rome shirt, was my go to shirt in the summer of 2006 or 2007

Drewsky

Just finished up disc 3 of Season 1 of The Wire. Love it. This is probably the main selling point of the show and I somehow missed it, but I love how pretty much all the characters are likeable. Seems like everything is in shades of gray, so you can sympathize with everyone at least somewhat.

Omar is a badass btw.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Finally got around to watching the first season of the Sopranos - It blew my face off.

Jay Sosa

Watched 3 episodes of Community and don't find it very funny so far, storylines are very uninteresting and remind me of shows like the Gilmore Girls (this whole dad & son shit in e2 for instance) and the jokes are kinda lame. There are a few gems/funny parts here and there but overall it's just boring . But I barely like any new show after a few episodes so maybe it'll grow on me.

Drewsky said:
Just finished up disc 3 of Season 1 of The Wire. Love it. This is probably the main selling point of the show and I somehow missed it, but I love how pretty much all the characters are likeable. Seems like everything is in shades of gray, so you can sympathize with everyone at least somewhat.

Omar is a badass btw.

Season 4 is simply amazing and probably the best season of the show IMO. You are in for a real treat!

Finally starting to really get into Supernatural and am getting farther into season 2.
Just watched the episode when Sam gets possessed and starts acting like a total asshole.

I think I might just buy the show because the disks Netflix are sending me are either scratched to hell or actually cracked in half. Its really pissing me off.

Ceres

Banned
I watched all 13 eps of Glee two weeks ago. Such a great show. I can't wait till Idina Menzel shows up in the new episodes.
The creator was the guy behind Popular (along with Nip/Tuck) which I watched some of when it originally aired but never saw the whole show. I'm two discs into rewatching s1. It's actually pretty funny how similar the two shows are.

Also started watching Monk from the beginning now that the show is over. I watched most of s1 and s2 but didn't keep up with the show. I've always liked Tony Shalhoub and he's so great as Monk. I'm glad Michael Richards didn't take the role as I don't think it would have worked with him.

EliCash

Kafarabo said:

2yz0rqe.jpg

Nert

For anyone that hasn't seen it or heard of it before, I highly recommend checking out the short lived series Wonder Showzen. The show is a dark, dark, comedy that takes many conventions of traditional kids shows (lovable puppets, kids interviewing random people on the street, scattered cartoons, and episodes themes where everyone learns about "Patience" or "Diversity") and inverts them, incorporating both heavy swearing and shock value along with some more disturbing, psychological elements.

Some basic examples of what the show does:

One of the puppets travels back two minutes in time, pisses himself off, and after a series of events begins to fight himself throughout "all of time" in absurdist contests like a track and field event in the Battle of Fallujah and what I think was a jousting event in the year 11,920.

One of the recurring cartoon segments features D.O.G O.B.G.Y.N, a dog with the ability to aid in child birth (and yes, they always refer to the character by sounding out the whole acronym).

In my favorite segments, a blue puppet named Clarence goes around "on the street" and harasses people with a series of questions; great if you're a fan of Borat style humor.

Oh, and without going into detail, there's one episode where a puppet's brain is invaded and the invaders literally piss on his stream of consciousness.

I've been working through this show's two seasons again on DVD, and with the exception of a few uneven episodes in the very beginning of season one, it's sheer brilliance. Check it out if you want a break from some of the HBO or AMC dramas you've been working through.

820.jpg

wondershowzen_trevor.jpg

dogobgyn_wp.png

I'm just about done with Deadwood S2. I really liked Season 1 (apart from the short story about the 2 con kids -- so pointless) but my patience is wearing thin with Season 2. Lots more close-up shots of facial expressions and the kind of BS that often follows successful seasons (e.g. compare the melodrama of BSG S2.5 over the tight, grittiness of S1 and S2.0). I don't know what it is -- maybe writers get too big-headed or they just succumb to the pressure.

I still like the overall arc of
the potential annexation and the corruption and complications
but I literally (I'm not misusing the word) have to look away when
Alma has to do her quivering defiance or Bullock has to deal with his wife. Booooooring.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Halfway through Weeds S5. At this point the only reason I'm watching the rest of the season is because there's still enough funny moments to keep me interested, thanks to Kevin Nealon of course. The plot has gone to crap, which is a shame because the first 3 seasons were excellent.

finowns

I started watching Dead like Me on netflix. Great show. Please tell me other people are watching this cause if your not your missing out.

Ceres

Banned
finowns said:
I started watching Dead like Me on netflix. Great show. Please tell me other people are watching this cause if your not your missing out.

TV show is amazing but don't bother watching the movie that was made two years ago.

finowns said:

Didn't care too much for it because of the main storyline that I felt was left behind all the derivative quirkiness. Made me wary of purchasing "Pushing daisies".

- Rewatched The Wire well, because I consider it the best drama on television.
- Watched Deadwood and loved it except for
the most anti-climatic ending ever.
- Watched Carnivale which I liked very much (and made me want to curse HBO to hell of course).
- Currently watching Arrested Development S1 and so far so good, although I find it a bit uneven.

EliCash

Just recently watched Twin Peaks season 1. Not sure why it took me so long.

Once 24 season 8 and the final season of LOST finishes ima need some new shows. Any recommendations ? I should probably start with The Wire. It's ridiculous that I've not watched it yet, other than that though?

Sodium

Neo Member
Applesauce said:
The plot has gone to crap, which is a shame because the first 3 seasons were excellent.
Couldn't agree more. The finale of season 2 was amazing. Season 3 was okay, but season 4 onward was one big disappointment.
The only redeeming quality of season 5 was the last episode.

Lately, I've been watching:
- Dexter
- Mad Men
- Peep Show
- The Office
- Space Ghost Coast To Coast
- Kenny vs Spenny

threenote

Banned
Let's see...

I watched Chuck Seasons 1-2 non-stop two weeks ago, and I'm watching it again. It's definitely one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Right now I'm watching Rome on blu ray, 30 Rock, and Veronica Mars (S1).

I definitely think this is the way TV is supposed to be watched. Watching a show non-stop is just amazing, and I'm going to do that with Lost season 6.

Applesauce said:
Halfway through Weeds S5. At this point the only reason I'm watching the rest of the season is because there's still enough funny moments to keep me interested, thanks to Kevin Nealon of course. The plot has gone to crap, which is a shame because the first 3 seasons were excellent.

Which is the season that ends with
the fire plot and the last scene is her on a segway?
That's the last season I watched and I wasn't really happy with where the plot was going. Not sure if I should continue or not. I missed the simpler times of S1. :lol

adg1034

GAF, Kitchen Confidential is a work of pure genius. Based on the eponymous book by Anthony Bourdain, it's a comedy about a chef, his restaurant, and his kitchen crew. Starring Bradley Cooper, John Cho, Nicholas Brendon (Xander, from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and John Francis Daley (from Freaks and Geeks and Bones), I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I have rarely if ever found a half-hour show so satisfyingly hilarious. It doesn't have the meticulously-planned comedy of an Arrested Development, but its cancellation (after only four episodes, no less) was criminal. It's grin-causingly, giggle-inducingly fantastic, shockingly sexy, and has whip-crack dialogue, a perfect ensemble cast, Frank Langella as the borderline-evil restaurant owner... and the entire series is available for free viewing on Hulu.

If you don't like the pilot (plus maybe the second episode, since the pilot takes a little too much time setting up the blueprint for the rest of the series), I will personally refund 23 minutes of your life. Guaranteed.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
hey, remember when disney used to make quality animated television series? i've been watching this one on some old vhs i found, and it's great.

logonew2.gif

bud

after watching seven or so episodes of mad men, i quit (i don't have a valid reason)--and that was in october, iirc. and now i'm thinking of watching it again.

what would you do: start all over or pick up where you left?

Brian Fellows said:
Are they planning on releasing season 2 on Blu-Ray?
I don't know. It's not listed on tvshowsondvd which is odd because they simultaneously released the DVD and BRD last year. The show looks good in HD, so I don't know why they'd be holding back on the blu-ray release.

Finished up BSG recently (...) and am currently watching The Sopranos for the first time. I just finished Season 2, which was fantastic. Also, I picked up some DVDs that were on sale: Breaking Bad, I've already seen some episodes of on TV and love, and Chuck, which I'm not sure about, but too many quality posters are recommending it for me to ignore, so I'll give it a try.

MedIC86

stargate_atlantis_logo.jpg

I recently started with this series, loving it so far (S02) cant wait for
the doc from voyager
Anyway if you havent watched this and like Scifi i can really recommend this!.

Also watched V when it came out. But im still wondering are they gonna make 19 EPS like the original series or ?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
bud said:
after watching seven or so episodes of mad men, i quit (i don't have a valid reason)--and that was in october, iirc. and now i'm thinking of watching it again.

what would you do: start all over or pick up where you left?

heh, well, i think those seven episodes are awesome, so i guess i'd rewatch.

then again, if you only stopped watching them within the past couple of months, you could probably just watch the most recent again, then continue from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom