• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiSTM

Banned
Battersea Power Station said:
It's good advice, and it's why I don't try to split things into firm categories. I like both. But the "Deadwood beats Wire any day and night :)" comment is what got to me. OK, I'm good now, though. I promise I'll ignore the next one.

I love Wire too but the setting just isn't as interesting as in Deadwood. Also I like the characters of Deadwood much more. Al and E.B Farnum are probably my favorite characters in recent television history.

gdt

beelzebozo said:
so don't :lol

you only confuse and infuriate yourself by even trying to compare the two. what does it matter if you prefer one a small gradient more than the other? life is so much more enjoyable if you just split things into "like it" or "don't like it" and move on.

Yep.

If someone asked me "what are your absolute favorite shows?"

I'd go: The Wire, The Sopranos, Lost, Friday Night Lights.

"Put them in order"

Fuck that.

There's not reason for me to put together a specific list, outside of Love, Like, or Meh.

StuBurns

Banned
Got around to seeing Community a couple of weeks back, hated the pilot, loved the rest of it, till the last couple maybe, very cool. Oh, and Annie.

Mad Men.- HOLY EFFING SHIT, This is the greatest show on television, I have just watched all 3 season in the past 2 weeks, it gets better every season, and that S3 finale was the best 1hour of television I have ever seen. I could go on forever about this show.

John Hamm as the next james bond. DO IT!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
so don't

you only confuse and infuriate yourself by even trying to compare the two. what does it matter if you prefer one a small gradient more than the other? life is so much more enjoyable if you just split things into "like it" or "don't like it" and move on.
Surreal, my dad gave me this exact same advice the other day.:lol

Yep.

If someone asked me "what are your absolute favorite shows?"

I'd go: The Wire, The Sopranos, Lost, Friday Night Lights.

"Put them in order"

Fuck that.

There's not reason for me to put together a specific list, outside of Love, Like, or Meh.
This is the reason, i hate "numbered" lists when it comes to television, books, games etc.

Well, I'm going to watch the last episode of The Wire today. It's been a good, enjoyable run.

Two things about season five though:
I really hated Omar's death. He's suppose to be this really tough freelancer who has a code he lives by. This is further demonstrated by people running away from him yelling "It's Omar! Omar!" This happened in season one as well, I think. Anyway, at the end of season one, I said to myself, "It would really suck if Omar got killed in a puny or lucky way." Lo and behold some kid shoots him in a convenience store. Dumb.
I don't like how McNulty has regressed from his progress over season four. He goes back to being drunk.

Other than that, I love seasons five, and don't understand the hate it gets. I love the newspaper angle, and the whole
plot of making up a serial killer to get more funding to take down Marlo.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
#1 is only fitting the world they depict.
if you watch the supplemental material for season 3, they talk about the death of stringer bell, and how the audience didn't really like it; ultimately though, guys like stringer bell get shot in baltimore, and so that's what happened. a guy like omar can watch his back all he wants, but in the end, there's nothing stopping some random bonehead from just popping him while his back's turned.

#2, well, i understand not liking it, but
mcnulty's a self destructive alcoholic.

that's just the way it is

aw yeah

celebrity-image-tupac-pray-331462.jpg

Coop

Rapping Granny said:
Mad Men.- HOLY EFFING SHIT, This is the greatest show on television, I have just watched all 3 season in the past 2 weeks, it gets better every season, and that S3 finale was the best 1hour of television I have ever seen. I could go on forever about this show.

John Hamm as the next james bond. DO IT!

I just received the first two discs of season 1 today. I'm going to give it another shot tonight or tomorrow. I couldn't get into the show 2 years ago so I'm hoping I can this time.

Memles

Figure this is the right place for this: put up a poll on my blog (Cultural Learnings) to see which show I have on DVD I should catch up on first and blog about every weekend. Options are The Shield, Newsradio, The Sopranos, and Buffy/Angel. The latter is currently about 60 votes ahead right now, but you're all welcome to vote if you so choose.

http://cultural-learnings.com/2010/04/03/the-2010-cultural-catchup-project-readers-choice-poll/

The post is more interesting, really, for the myriad of comments from people promoting their choices.

beelzebozo said:
#1 is only fitting the world they depict.
if you watch the supplemental material for season 3, they talk about the death of stringer bell, and how the audience didn't really like it; ultimately though, guys like stringer bell get shot in baltimore, and so that's what happened. a guy like omar can watch his back all he wants, but in the end, there's nothing stopping some random bonehead from just popping him while his back's turned.
How did the audience not like Stringer's death? It was well-written; I loved it. That may be what happens on the streets, but the writers played it up like only a large group of elite muscle could take out Omar, not some random dude on the street.

Reknoc

After seeing the new Jonathan Creek special decided to go back and watch the series. So good, I wish it got a new series instead of a special every now and then.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Finished S1 of Californication. Had no idea what the show was about before so I was pleasantly surprised with how raunchy and awesome it was.

I also wrapped up S1 of The Wire and watched 2 episodes of S2 last night. S1 was pretty good, although I wouldn't go so far to say it's the best show ever, not yet anyways. I also like how the episodes are almost an entire 60 minutes.

Willectro

Banned
karasu said:
Doing a marathon of the Office. I just finished the Hilary swank episode and I can't stand Jim. He kind of goes out of his way to make the show bland and unfunny by wagging his finger at the lunacy that makes shows like this interesting. He's constantly beating you over the head with how normal he thinks he is. fuuuuuuck that Jim & Pam nonsense.

Kinda how the show is meant to be. Without a "straight" guy the plot would be that of a circus. See: Seinfeld.

gdt

Memles said:
Figure this is the right place for this: put up a poll on my blog (Cultural Learnings) to see which show I have on DVD I should catch up on first and blog about every weekend. Options are The Shield, Newsradio, The Sopranos, and Buffy/Angel. The latter is currently about 60 votes ahead right now, but you're all welcome to vote if you so choose.

http://cultural-learnings.com/2010/04/03/the-2010-cultural-catchup-project-readers-choice-poll/

The post is more interesting, really, for the myriad of comments from people promoting their choices.

I voted Sopranos, with Angel in my second place.

mello

Just ordered House season one from Amazon, really can't wait to start watching it! I've been procrastinating buying it for awhile but now I've caved in. Thinking of getting Alias S1 too, not really sure if it'll be worth it though.

I started watching Arrested Development on Netflix, a few episodes in a row the last couple of nights... I'm up to episode 10 I think in the first season.

The show is funny, really it's witty and well written and fun to watch, but I'm not going crazy over it. Apparently a lot of people on GAF found the show hysterically, roll on the floor, laugh your ass off funny but I don't think I've seriously busted out in any sort of audible laugh while watching it so far. I like Gob and George Michael the most and actually find Tobias, which seems to be one of the more loved characters of the show, kind of too off-the-wall to be very funny.

I don't mean to sound so harsh though, I'm enjoying it and plan to watch through all the seasons.

threenote

Banned
close to the edge said:
Started watching Supernatural, I've watched 4 episodes so far. Pretty meh, I'm not sure why I don't like it that much.. does it improve?
YES. stick with it, it sucks initially, but it gets a whole lot better.

Houston3000 said:
I started watching Arrested Development on Netflix, a few episodes in a row the last couple of nights... I'm up to episode 10 I think in the first season.

The show is funny, really it's witty and well written and fun to watch, but I'm not going crazy over it. Apparently a lot of people on GAF found the show hysterically, roll on the floor, laugh your ass off funny but I don't think I've seriously busted out in any sort of audible laugh while watching it so far. I like Gob and George Michael the most and actually find Tobias, which seems to be one of the more loved characters of the show, kind of too off-the-wall to be very funny.

I don't mean to sound so harsh though, I'm enjoying it and plan to watch through all the seasons.

It's okay. The second season is the best, and a lot of it is due to the realization that so many things start to continuously payoff from past episodes. Perhaps more than any other show on television, AD benefits from rewatches.

close to the edge said:
Started watching Supernatural, I've watched 4 episodes so far. Pretty meh, I'm not sure why I don't like it that much.. does it improve?

I'm in the middle of season 4 and only now can I say it's a decent show.
Season 1 is terrible, season 2 a slight improvement, season 3 a much bigger improvement, and season 4 has been by far the best. So yeah it constantly improves, just dont expect the shitty episodes to go away.

moojito

mello said:
Just ordered House season one from Amazon, really can't wait to start watching it! I've been procrastinating buying it for awhile but now I've caved in. Thinking of getting Alias S1 too, not really sure if it'll be worth it though.

It has Jennifer Garner in it. Of course it's worth it.

gdt

Just got my The Wire set, and I see what you guys were talking about :/. Ahh well, I'll just leave those plastic slips for each disc inside, it should help at least a bit.

Dax01 said:
How did the audience not like Stringer's death? It was well-written; I loved it. That may be what happens on the streets, but the writers played it up like only a large group of elite muscle could take out Omar, not some random dude on the street.
moar wire s5 spoilars
That's the whole thrust of the scene- Omar has become so confident in himself and his reputation, he ignores possible threats, assuming no one will fuck with him unless they have a reason. As he approaches that convenience store, he walks right past the kid, Kernard, torturing a cat in the alleyway. Omar completely ignores him- doesn't even give him a second thought, which is EXACTLY why he dies.

Also, Kernard is the kid Bunk sees in season 3 imitating Omar near the site of the shootout with Avon's guys- Omar creates his own death by being so visible and allowing this kid to get wondering what it would be like to kill someone. It's a remarkable callback, and part of what makes that scene so ABSOLUTELY fitting for his character.

Even better is how he becomes a myth-like figure after death, with everyone telling different stories about his death, no one believing he went out the way he did. Although I was sad to see Omar go, it was absolutely the way to go for him. Incredibly well done.

Just got my The Wire set, and I see what you guys were talking about :/. Ahh well, I'll just leave those plastic slips for each disc inside, it should help at least a bit.
So you'd recommend against this? It's a really good price but I definitely don't want shitty packaging.

Blader

I finished Flight of the Conchords yesterday. Great, really fucking hilarious season. I think S1 was stronger though, if only because S2 kind of felt off at the start and didn't really hit its stride until episode 5.

By and large, I thought the S1 songs were better and more memorable than the S2 songs, but on the flipside S2 has my favorite Conchords song: Carol Brown

I also really love We're Both in Love with a Sexy Lady

gdt

FilthyLies said:
So you'd recommend against this? It's a really good price but I definitely don't want shitty packaging.

Eh, depends on the price. It's not the worst packaging, but it's not the best either.

Blader5489 said:
I finished Flight of the Conchords yesterday. Great, really fucking hilarious season. I think S1 was stronger though, if only because S2 kind of felt off at the start and didn't really hit its stride until episode 5.

By and large, I thought the S1 songs were better and more memorable than the S2 songs, but on the flipside S2 has my favorite Conchords song: Carol Brown

Pretty much agree with everything here.

icarus-daedelus said:
That's a fair point.
I understand the point you two are making.
I never expected most, if not any other deaths in the show, and it's a shame the only death I half-expected was Omar's because he's such a good character.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Blader5489 said:

The David Bowie song was amazing, needed to be longer though.

Houston3000 said:

That's how I always felt with the show. I rewatched it after seeing how much GAF hype there was it still just falls into a good but not great show. Best thing about it is it's continuity.

Caramello

Just finished watching season 3 of The Big Bang Theory, such an awesome show :D

Also currently watching Boston Legal and loving it!

Caramello said:
Just finished watching season 3 of The Big Bang Theory, such an awesome show :D

Agreed, it gets hate because it's just a fairly by the numbers sitcom but I've always found it to be alot of fun and thoroughly entertaining. Especially from Season 2 onward when they really found their footing.

Blader

I'm about halfway into S4 of The Wire and I have to say I'm disappointed by it so far.

Marlo is boring as a character and an actor, and sure as hell no substitute for Stringer and the Barksdales.

Nothing on the police side is grabbing me so far. One of the things I loved about S3 was how they just jumped into it things, with the MCU already working on a case right from the start. This feels like a step back.

Really not liking the emphasis on the schools or kids either. Aside from the fact that it feels like it has been before, I just plain don't like kids (by and large) in tv shows or movies. I usually find them more annoying than endearing.

The most interesting story (and really, the only interesting story so far) for me is the mayoral race. I'm liking that subplot a lot more than I thought I would.

Hopefully it'll pick up--and the show usually does--but so far it's definitely my least favorite of the series.

Blader5489 said:
Really not liking the emphasis on the schools or kids either. Aside from the fact that it feels like it has been before, I just plain don't like kids (by and large) in tv shows or movies. I usually find them more annoying than endearing.
So much fail.

bud

i saw the breaking bad pilot. i can't wait to see what happens next. cranston's performance was great, too.

mello said:
Just ordered House season one from Amazon, really can't wait to start watching it!

you're in for a treat, man. i finished watching season 1 today. it's a lovely mix of sherlock holmes, comedy and great acting. and there aren't any crappy love stories like there are in a lot of those other medical dramas.

i've developed a mancrush on hugh laurie. his 5 o'clock shadow is incredible.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
if you liked the BB pilot, you're going to love the show itself, because i think it gets about a hundred times better than that.

gdt

bud said:
you're in for a treat, man. i finished watching season 1 today. it's a lovely mix of sherlock holmes, comedy and great acting. and there aren't any crappy love stories like there are in a lot of those other medical dramas.

i've developed a mancrush on hugh laurie. his 5 o'clock shadow is incredible.

Just you wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom