• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

adg1034

Reposting this from an LTTP thread I made a couple days ago, both because discussion kinda died out and since this is the more official TV thread:

GAF, let's talk about Leverage. Yes, it airs on TNT, and yes, it's executive produced/frequently directed by one of Roland Emmerich's closest associates, but don't let that turn you off. Featuring Timothy Hutton (that Oscar-winning guy from Ordinary People and, less notably, Kidnapped), Christian Kane (that guy from Angel), Aldis Hodge (that guy from S1 of Friday Night Lights [Voodoo Tatum!]), Gina Bellman (that girl from UK Coupling), and Beth Riesgraf (that girl who was engaged to Jason Lee and has a son named Pilot Inspektor), as well as TV's favorite slimy Brit, Mark Sheppard, in a recurring role, Leverage is basically a modern-day Robin Hood story.

Plot-wise, it's the tale of a former big-time insurance investigator who ends up working outside the law to help regular people get the upper hand over the rich and powerful people/companies who are taking advantage of them, which lends itself extremely well to the heist-of-the-week format it soon becomes. It's nothing too emotionally gripping, but it's fun, it's funny, and there's basically a heist movie in each episode. So, good times, if you're into that sort of thing.

And then there's Parker. Oh, Parker.

At the end of the day, it's a whole lot of dumb fun, with a surprising amount of sophistication in terms of its plots, characters, and recurring plotlines. Check it out.

I dont want to enter the official thread because of fear of being spoiled, but I'm on to episode 9 of Spartacus and this show is awesome, the hell?
Holy shit at hacked off penis!
:lol
His wife dying was a genuine shock too.

I thought the pilot for Spartacus was abysmal, although the fight scene at the end was entertaining in a trashy way. I haven't bothered with any more. So does it get genuinely good or is it good in a so bad it's good kind of way?

Spotless Mind said:
I thought the pilot for Spartacus was abysmal, although the fight scene at the end was entertaining in a trashy way. I haven't bothered with any more. So does it get genuinely good or is it good in a so bad it's good kind of way?

Push past the first 2 eps. It's genuinely good. The show holds nothing back in every possible way.

Spotless Mind said:

It's genuinely good. The violence and sex are hilariously over the top and only make the show that much more entertaining. The drama is surprisingly good too, and it doesn't come off as forced and silly, probably because the plot moves so fluidly. It's basically everything Rome should've been, if it hadn't wasted it's time being a boring soap opera with annoying characters and historical "accuracy."

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
So now that I'm done watching all the episodes of Golden Girls, I felt like moving onto Cheers, but it is bizarrely missing from Hulu. Anyone know where I can actually stream the show legally?

woodchuck

S4 is also my favorite season of The Wire. Marlo doesn't hold a candle to Stringer or Avon, but the storyline with the 4 kids is amazing.

Danielsan

Started watching Twin Peaks this week (thanks to Deadly Premonition and Alan wake).
Really enjoying it thus far. I'm at the final episode of the first season.
I've heard that the second season is poor though. :(

Also god damn Audrey Horne (Sherilyn Fenn) is fucking hot.
Makes me sad when I realize she's 45 now. :(

gdt

woodchuck said:
S4 is also my favorite season of The Wire. Marlo doesn't hold a candle to Stringer or Avon, but the storyline with the 4 kids is amazing.

I agree, but Marlo (and his crew) were way more cold-blooded, and generally different enough to succeed as another target, and not an imitation of Avon/Bell.

Decado

The Storyteller said:
It's genuinely good. The violence and sex are hilariously over the top and only make the show that much more entertaining. The drama is surprisingly good too, and it doesn't come off as forced and silly, probably because the plot moves so fluidly. It's basically everything Rome should've been, if it hadn't wasted it's time being a boring soap opera with annoying characters and historical "accuracy."
Spartacus is a soap opera for men. Really enjoying it and it has gotten better as its gone on.

First two episodes were pretty weak, but from then on it is just good fun. The action, while somewhat less frequent, has improved as well.

Decado

gdt5016 said:
I agree, but Marlo (and his crew) were way more cold-blooded, and generally different enough to succeed as another target, and not an imitation of Avon/Bell.
I'm about to start the 5th season, and while I'm not as interested in Marlo as I was Stringer, Snoop is the man!
though I can barely understand him at times

gdt5016 said:
This is true, but I agree that Marlo wasn't as good as Stringer or Avon.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Danielsan said:
Started watching Twin Peaks this weak (thanks to Deadly Premonition and Alan wake).
Really enjoying it thus far. I'm at the final episode of the first season.
I've heard that the second season is poor though. :(
The final episode of season 1 is amazing.:D
Season 2 isn't so bad, but it definitely pales in comparison to season 1. Even if you struggle through the rather weak middle section. It will pay off for sticking to it, till the end.

Danielsan

Lafiel said:
The final episode of season 1 is amazing.:D
Season 2 isn't so bad, but it definitely pales in comparison to season 1. Even if you struggle through the rather weak middle section. It will pay off for sticking to it, till the end.
Good to hear.
I'm not sure whether I'll watch it now or save it for tomorrow.
I'm definitely going to watch S2, but considering its 22 episodes I can see how it could drag a bit too much. Regardless, I'm invested in the characters now and I'm seeing it through to the end.

My favourite characters are Cooper and Audrey.
It would have been out of character but if I was Dale, I would love to find a girl like Audrey waiting naked in my bed. :lol

Blader

The only reason I knew Snoop was a girl was because I saw her an episode of Anthony Bourdain's show a while back.

It's a fair mistake to make. I mean, she's got armpit hair...what kind of girl has armpit hair?!

StuBurns

Banned
Blader5489 said:
The only reason I knew Snoop was a girl was because I saw her an episode of Anthony Bourdain's show a while back.

It's a fair mistake to make. I mean, she's got armpit hair...what kind of girl has armpit hair?!
I literally didn't know till "you look good girl".

Helmholtz

Watching Arrested Development for the first time, just finished season one. I like it quite a bit. While I'm not laughing constantly, there have been some really funny moments. I like the continuity of it as well.

Drealmcc0y said:
I stopped watching the wire at the end of season 3.

I just stopped caring about any of the characters.
smh.gif

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Finished S3 of Californication. The biggest shocker to come of this is that the Charlie's boss is played by Kathleen Turner, which took me half the season to figure out without googling. Dear god, what the fuck happened to that woman?

gdt

Applesauce said:
Finished S3 of Californication. The biggest shocker to come of this is that the Charlie's boss is played by Kathleen Turner, which took me half the season to figure out without googling. Dear god, what the fuck happened to that woman?

She got all old and shit.

Blader

Just finished S4 of The Wire. Goddamn, those last few episodes went a LONG way in redeeming the season for me.

Bodie! Fuck man. Ever since S1, I've been wishing for Bodie and Poot to get killed off for what happened to Wallace. Every damn episode, I wanted it. Then the finale, and Bodie really stepped up in a big way, and what happens? Capped in the head. Fuck man.

Kind of reminds me of Ziggy from S2, who I despised every time he was on screen, except for his last scene (in prison, talking to his father) when I actually felt bad for him.

I think what made these last few episodes really work for me was that it got back into what I loved about S3: MCU was revived, McNulty was brought back into the fold, some major shit went down with both the cops and the dealers (basically in just the finale, when homicide pulled up all of Chris and Snoop's victims). They left it hanging with Marlo, but I assume he's going to be the target in S5.

Speaking of which, Marlo did start to grow on me (even though he's still no substitute for Avon or Stringer). Same goes for the kids. Maybe it's just because as the season went on, the kids became more likeable (or at least, better understood) and weren't just being annoying as all fuck like they were in the first half.

Also: the redemption of Wee-Bay! Not that I ever disliked Bay, but again, just like Bodie, he really stepped up and did something honorable.

Rankings thus far:

3 > 4 > 2 > 1

Might start S5 tomorrow, work permitting.

Blader

Halfway through S5 of The Wire now...this show is so fucking good, I almost don't want to finish it.

Already liking this season more than S4 if only for
the Marlo/Omar war.

RIP Proposition Joe

Blader5489 said:
Halfway through S5 of The Wire now...this show is so fucking good, I almost don't want to finish it.

Already liking this season more than S4 if only for
the Marlo/Omar war.

RIP Proposition Joe
What are your thoughts on
the fake serial killer

I know that plotline puts a lot of people off of season 5, as it is a bit far-fetched for the Wire's standards.

Blader

FilthyLies said:
the fake serial killer

I know that plotline puts a lot of people off of season 5, as it is a bit far-fetched for the Wire's standards.

It is far-fetched for a show that has always been so grounded, but I'm wondering, is it based on something Simon or Burns actually experienced? Anyone know?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
FilthyLies said:
the fake serial killer

I haft to admit, that really put me off by the start of season. But in the end, i thought they executed it in a very compelling matter. Despite how far-fetched it was. It was kinda like what S3 did with
hamsterdam
You are going be so sad when you watch the last two episodes.;_;

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
not my favorite episode of the series, but "crossfire" from DS9 has one of my absolute favorite moments in the show

Odo_quark_floor_talk_crossfire.jpg

QUARK: "The fact that the pool exists says something about you! About who you are. People see you as the guy who always gets his man. Now, you're becoming the guy who tears up his quarters, and sits alone in the rubble. And no-one's gonna wanna place bets on how long someone's gonna sit around in the dark... Well. I've said my piece - sorry for butting in... But I'm just looking out for my business."
ODO: "Funny. For a minute there, I thought you were talking to me as a friend."
QUARK:". . .Nah."

tabsina

Started watching Madmen season 1, so far it seems like a documentary on why the 60s sucked

I've heard the show gets progressively better? Is this true?

yacobod

Banned
finished the first season of the shield and the first 4 or 5 episodes of season 2, so far this show owns, man i really missed the boat when this was airing live on fx, i cant really believe they got away with this much on basic cable, depending on how this show wraps up at the end, it could potentially enter my top 3 or 5 shows of all time, its been a wild ride so far, absolutely love it so far

moojito

tabsina said:
Started watching Madmen season 1, so far it seems like a documentary on why the 60s sucked

I watched the first half of the first season and was undecided. I randomly saw an episode of season 3 on tv a while later and it seemed much of the same stuff. I think if you don't like the first season you won't like the rest, but maybe some folk who have followed it more closely might have a different answer.

As to the wire stuff, I still haven't watched the last episode, so I can always tell myself there's always more wire for me to watch. From all accounts I'm missing out on a good episode, but still, there's always more wire for me to watch someday :D

tabsina said:

Yes, I felt Season 2 is where it really starts to kick into high gear. If you don't like it by then, okay, maybe it's time to move on.

Kowak

Banned
I have been watching a korean comedy drama called You're beautiful in anticipation of moving to Korea next month. Its actually really good and has gotten me pretty emotionally involved.

gdt

tabsina said:

It does get better, but it's the same style.

If you don't like it a couple of episodes into S1, guess it's just not for you.

tabsina

moojito said:
I watched the first half of the first season and was undecided. I randomly saw an episode of season 3 on tv a while later and it seemed much of the same stuff. I think if you don't like the first season you won't like the rest, but maybe some folk who have followed it more closely might have a different answer.
Tim the Wiz said:
Yes, I felt Season 2 is where it really starts to kick into high gear. If you don't like it by then, okay, maybe it's time to move on.
gdt5016 said:
It does get better, but it's the same style.

If you don't like it a couple of episodes into S1, guess it's just not for you.
cheers for the replies, i'll keep going at it, at least until i'm a few episodes into season 2

EDIT: I am not disliking the show, I just haven't figured out the purpose of the story yet, if that makes any sense at all.. not sure quite how to explain it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom