• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
yacobod said:
finished the first season of the shield and the first 4 or 5 episodes of season 2, so far this show owns, man i really missed the boat when this was airing live on fx, i cant really believe they got away with this much on basic cable, depending on how this show wraps up at the end, it could potentially enter my top 3 or 5 shows of all time, its been a wild ride so far, absolutely love it so far
For me the last episode of The Shield is the best finale i have ever seen, such an amazing episode that really does justice to my personal all time best cop show.

Enosh

just watched the first season of Bones

it's awesome so far, way better than any of the CSI series, the chemistry betwen Booth and Brennan is amazing, his military history adds another layer of "bad ass" to him :D

my main problem is that while the 2 leads are great and Hodgins is also kinda awesome with his conspiracy theories, Zach is kinda annoying (omg look at me I am socialy akward), althrough they try to change this with him being into basketball and Angie is kinda useless and reduced in some episodes to "look I made a preaty picture (that is useless beacose we already have the identity of the victim), please give me a grade ms teacher, oh and I made him smile" althrough the episode focusing on her was quite o.k. (except the deus ex machina at the end)

the episode with the kid and the bone transplant was also quite emotional, I realy wanted Booth to just shoot both of the criminals at the end

oh and Goodman is also great, althrough I read he is only in the first season -.-

hope season 2 fixes some of this, overall the problems are kinda minor and the whole series is very fun and enjoyable to watch

anaron

Tim the Wiz said:
Well, I'm on the fence about trying Gossip Girl. The same (unsurprisingly female) friend who recommended Gilmore Girls (which I was surprised to find an enormous affinity for until they started to needlessly and relentlessly contrive situations to keep Luke and Lorelai apart)

I was going to ask about you're progress with Gilmore Girls and judging from your tone I'm assuming you stopped. :(

What episode did you get up to?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
eastbound-down.jpg

ho

lee

SHIT

this show is hilarious :lol

Empty

Tim the Wiz said:
Well, I'm on the fence about trying Gossip Girl. The same (unsurprisingly female) friend who recommended Gilmore Girls (which I was surprised to find an enormous affinity for until they started to needlessly and relentlessly contrive situations to keep Luke and Lorelai apart) pushed me towards it, and while I admit to liking the first season of The OC and most of Chuck (which, by the way, has had something of a rebound in its latest episode), I'm pretty hesitant about the series - especially considering the negativity aimed at it by doyens of the original novels and in general. I don't know, my One Tree Hill spidey sense is off the chain whenever I even hear mention of this show. If I pass on it, I'll probably give Spartacus a shot - TV-GAF seems to be raving about it.

As a fan of the Gilmore Girls, which has surprisingly good dialogue writing, and someone who also liked season 1 of the o.c a fair bit, i can say that Gossip Girl is nowhere near as good, and is genuinely terrible. It's not even about meaningful drama of any kind, i don't think, but more about selling a lifestyle to impressionable teenagers; one that idolizes the wealth and status of hugely wealthy new yorkers, with their expensive designer clothes, stretch limos, personal servants and ridiculous mansions, and expects you to desire to be part of this ridiculous culture. I'm pretty convinced the entire show is about making teenage girls want to buy Gucci handbags. I find that most annoying, but the fundamentals are all wrong too, the writing is messy as hell, and though there is some competent characterization with a few you sort of enjoy watching in among the sea of blandness and inconsistency, it's almost soap-opera like in it's need to constantly have some huge drama going on, and the twists in all the relationships happen so fast you just plain don't care about what the characters are doing after a few episodes. There is nothing interesting going on in the plot lines unless you find the televised version of average teenage gossip riveting combined with whatever contrived device they can find to make different characters get with eachother so as to keep things dramatic, which most people shouldn't, and all you are really left with are nice aerial shots of new york, the hotness of veronica mars' voiceover and some of the excellent eye candy. Please avoid.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Blader5489 said:
Watched the first episode of Deadwood yesterday. Eh.
I struggled to watch through deadwood at the start. But after 4 episodes. (after this special event that you know what i'm talking about when you watch it) i was hooked.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Slowly watching season 1 of supernatural. (8 episodes in). Fun show, it's darker then i expected, kinda gives out a nice "horror" movie atmosphere. And i like how a lot of the MOTW episodes seem to be based on actual folklore.

Looking forward to seeing how the show improves when it starts having it's own plot arc.

Ashhong

gdt5016 said:
Why would anyone even consider watching Gossip Girl? Of course it's crap.

Because its by Josh Schwartz who made The OC. Deserves a shot for that alone

Lafiel said:
Slowly watching season 1 of supernatural. (8 episodes in). Fun show, it's darker then i expected, kinda gives out a nice "horror" movie atmosphere. And i like how a lot of the MOTW episodes seem to be based on actual folklore.

Looking forward to seeing how the show improves when it starts having it's own plot arc.

Prepare to be BLOWN AWAY in the later seasons.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Lafiel said:

Yeah, I just started it too, been binging on it for the past week or so. Season one is good, season two is slightly better and I'm not far into season three but so far it's pretty great. The show is wonderfully dark and gory sometimes, I was pretty surprised considering the network it's on.

Blader

I just started the UK version of The Office, and I don't think I can watch anymore, it's just too weird and surreal. :lol

I also never realized how much of a complete rip-off the US version's first episode was. The same story beat for beat, and a lot of the same lines/jokes.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i didn't like the uk OFFICE, for whatever reason. maybe a little too dry for me? i'm not sure.

two episodes deep in TRAFFIK, and it's starting to get really, really good.

key_art_traffik.jpg

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
The UK Office is great comedy, but I think the dramatic beats are what makes it a television classic. The season 2 finale is just about perfect.

Blader5489 said:
I also never realized how much of a complete rip-off the US version's first episode was. The same story beat for beat, and a lot of the same lines/jokes.

Well the creators of the UK Office are producers on the US version. A lot of the first and second season are based on it.

Blader

VGChampion said:
Well the creators of the UK Office are producers on the US version. A lot of the first and second season are based on it.

Yeah, but they don't really do anything other than cash their royalty checks. =P

On a different note. Having recently watched (and loved) The Wire and Generation Kill, I was wondering if anyone would recommend Simon's first HBO project, The Corner? I've wiki'd it a bit and it sounds kind of redundant in a post-Wire context, but I was wondering if it's still worth seeing.

Papa

Banned
beelzebozo said:
yeah i would like to like it. just not my thing i suppose.

I can imagine the contrasting comedic style being difficult to adapt to for someone having grown up with American comedy (I'm assuming you're American). With the UK version you need to pay close attention to the body language, delivery and timing, whereas the US version is a lot more in your face.

For example, in the episode with Gareth's investigation, watch David's eyes when Chris Finch says to stop looking up Jennifer's dress during the meeting. The camerawork does not emphasise this whereas the US version would make the movements more obvious and hence explain the joke. That's not to say that the US version is necessarily bad, it just caters to a different audience.

ruffles

Started to watch The X-Files via Neflix streaming. I'm on episode 7 of season 1. Pretty good so far. Not as enjoyable as Supernatural.

anaron said:
I was going to ask about you're progress with Gilmore Girls and judging from your tone I'm assuming you stopped. :(

What episode did you get up to?

It stopped being believable and started to enter contrived soap territory when they mercilessly kept bringing back
Christopher
into the equation. I quit somewhere amidst S5, even though the show still had great turns of dialogue and the Rory B plot was okay. But I had always been watching primarily for Lorelai and not Rory, so it didn't make sense to keep coming back when the writers were messing about lazily and artificially inventing conflict within her story arch.

Empty said:
As a fan of the Gilmore Girls, which has surprisingly good dialogue writing, and someone who also liked season 1 of the o.c a fair bit, i can say that Gossip Girl is nowhere near as good, and is genuinely terrible.

A long critique that boils down to the show being nearly as vacuous as the characters it portrays.

Please avoid.

Thanks. Will do.

ruffles said:
Started to watch The X-Files via Neflix streaming. I'm on episode 7 of season 1. Pretty good so far. Not as enjoyable as Supernatural.

It starts getting very good in S2.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
matt404au said:
I can imagine the contrasting comedic style being difficult to adapt to for someone having grown up with American comedy (I'm assuming you're American). With the UK version you need to pay close attention to the body language, delivery and timing, whereas the US version is a lot more in your face.

For example, in the episode with Gareth's investigation, watch David's eyes when Chris Finch says to stop looking up Jennifer's dress during the meeting. The camerawork does not emphasise this whereas the US version would make the movements more obvious and hence explain the joke. That's not to say that the US version is necessarily bad, it just caters to a different audience.

i'm not sure. it could be that. then again, i like what many would consider be the "dryer" of the american comedies. not sure. i don't like the american OFFICE, fwiw. the british one didn't grab me either, however.

copied over from the neglected tv show thread:

not a "tv show" per se, but a tv miniseries that i think gets extremely neglected because it lives in the shadow of a (purportedly better) movie. THE SHINING, starring steven weber and rebecca demornay.

The_Shining_01.jpg
The_Shining_Steven_Weber_04.jpg

this was not only my first full exposure to stephen king's work (i had been scarified by the IT miniseries years earlier but had only seen bits and pieces) but was also my first tv miniseries. i was just not prepared for the cool little character touches and depth that king brings, nor the really great expansive pacing that a miniseries can afford such an intimate story. think on it: this is three 90 minute segments of not a whole lot more than jack, wendi, and danny, and they're just dwarfed by the majesty and spookiness of this huge, ancient hotel. steven weber's work here is very unappreciated; i watched both the kubrick version and this version in the course of two days, and while i understand that nicholson was going for something wildly different, his complete maniac take on jack torrance isn't nearly as resonant or impressive as steven weber's slow decline from a great father to a man who loses his shit. it has the requisite caveats of any stephen king horror adaptation--the occasional cheesy line, stuff from the book that could have been cut that doesn't transition well, some cgi that's questionable--but on the whole, this is a fantastic effort that is just a fundamentally more interesting story than what was made previously.

check it out!

StuBurns

Banned
Saw Treme yesterday, loved the Wire so I'd been meaning to check it out, I enjoyed it, think it has a lot of potential, but it's not nearly as instantly gripping as the Wire for me.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
ruffles said:

The mythology doesn't really kick in until the end of season one and the general quality improves as it goes along, until season five or so anyway.

LOST is ending just in less than a week and I'm looking for something to replace it for viewing time. What does everyone think of V? Any good? Juliet is there so yay. But is it intriguing/compelling enough? Would you recommend it?

gdt

Larson Conway said:
LOST is ending just in less than a week and I'm looking for something to replace it for viewing time. What does everyone think of V? Any good? Juliet is there so yay. But is it intriguing/compelling enough? Would you recommend it?

V is meh.

There're plenty of other shows you could add to your viewing list.

y2dvd

Rewatching AD and The Office (US).

*Michael announces that he can no longer tell sexual jokes due to corporate*
Jim Halpert: Does that include 'that's what she said'?
Michael Scott: Mmhh, yes.
Jim Halpert: Wow that is really hard. You really think you can go all day long? Well, you always left me satisfied and smiling.
Michael Scott: Mmmm... THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

:lol

dorkimoe

Finished season 2 of true blood. Everyone always told me it was not as good as the first, so i put it off.

I think it started off great, they were alot more action packed, but i hated that one bitch and she got really annoying. and it got stupid towards the end. But im still looking forward to season 3

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finished "Supernatural" season 1, yesterday. Finale was awesome stuff, and interesting enough, i thought the show would be "slow" to go through (if the first 4 episodes were anything to go by).. But wasn't that case here, show was surprisingly pretty addictive once you got past those episodes.

Looking forward to watching season 2, later. However, i borrowed the shield season 1. And i'm going watch that first i think.:D

Blader

coughcough

Blader5489 said:
On a different note. Having recently watched (and loved) The Wire and Generation Kill, I was wondering if anyone would recommend Simon's first HBO project, The Corner? I've wiki'd it a bit and it sounds kind of redundant in a post-Wire context, but I was wondering if it's still worth seeing.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
you're spot on with your cursory assessment. i tried to watch it after THE WIRE and it felt like lesser-WIRE. your mileage may vary.

Not sure if this fits in this thread but I'll post it anyways. Just finished off my Star Trek: TNG mini marathon I've been doing for the past 2 months (I've only been watching one episode a day). Just watched "Time's Arrow pt.I"

psycho17

I finally got around to watching Arrested Development and love it. Ran through the entire show pretty quick and I've got one episode left.

Blader

beelzebozo said:
you're spot on with your cursory assessment. i tried to watch it after THE WIRE and it felt like lesser-WIRE. your mileage may vary.

Think I'll just stick with Deadwood then.

And given Lafiel's last post, maybe I'll finally try out Supernatural. Sounds like a legit show.

anaron

Tim the Wiz said:
It stopped being believable and started to enter contrived soap territory when they mercilessly kept bringing back
Christopher
into the equation. I quit somewhere amidst S5, even though the show still had great turns of dialogue and the Rory B plot was okay. But I had always been watching primarily for Lorelai and not Rory, so it didn't make sense to keep coming back when the writers were messing about lazily and artificially inventing conflict within her story arch.
Oh totally agreed. I thought you had quit in season one and I was thinking "they never did that until way later. Season one is the Show at its best!" :lol

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Watched 4 episodes of the "Shield" last night.

Wow this show is pretty damn good. Not much to say so far yet though. Other then dutch and vic mackey are pretty awesome characters.

Lafiel said:
Watched 4 episodes of the "Shield" last night.

Wow this show is pretty damn good. Not much to say so far yet though. Other then dutch and vic mackey are pretty awesome characters.

Hold on to your butt because that show escalates like a motherfucker. You will probably lose sleep saying "one more, one more, one more" until you realize there's none left.

mrklaw said:
- 24. Got into this with season 6. Hated it. Currently up to hour 4 in the UK and still don't like it. Will give it a few more episodes before abandoning it. Its just so badly put together and written. Just seems so desparate.

Oh bad choice, season 6 is by far the worst, and was basically retconned out of existence within the first 10 minutes of season 7.Best to cut your losses and go watch any of the other season, which range from pretty good to excellent (my personal favs are 1, 2, 5 and 7, although I have a soft spot for season 3 since thats the one I started watching it on).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom