• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

Since posting this in the Lost thread would probably result in a swarm of bigotted backlash, I thought it'd be more appropriate in here.

After watching "The Candidate", I honestly do not understand how some of the fans can remain satisfied with the show.

The writers continue to show a complete lack of respect for their characters. Not only do they get rid of Sayid (and Frank for that matter) in the most non-chalant manner after a season of acting like a zombie but they then follow that by killing off Jin and Sun (after they had JUST reunited) in the most contrived, rushed, and corny way possible.

Even if you weren't particularly attached to any of those characters, the fact that they had had appeared from the first episode till now elevates them to a treatment better than that.

I started watching Arrested Development, season one a few weeks ago already but stopped after 3 episodes. Started again today and it's really great. Some of the too awkward humor still rubs me the wrong way but it's getting better.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
anaron said:
Since posting this in the Lost thread would probably result in a swarm of bigotted backlash, I thought it'd be more appropriate in here.

After watching "The Candidate", I honestly do not understand how some of the fans can remain satisfied with the show.

The writers continue to show a complete lack of respect for their characters. Not only do they get rid of Sayid (and Frank for that matter) in the most non-chalant manner after a season of acting like a zombie but they then follow that by killing off Jin and Sun (after they had JUST reunited) in the most contrived, rushed, and corny way possible.

Even if you weren't particularly attached to any of those characters, the fact that they had had appeared from the first episode till now elevates them to a treatment better than that.

ok man, some LOST straight talk here: i acknowledge that the show has made some weird decisions in the past couple of seasons, and that it's not been the ideal execution of what they were shooting for, but i love the characters and just love spending time with them, and so i end up loving it despite the flaws. in other words, i've watched it six seasons now, and i could have been satisfied if it stopped completely after the third; i'm fully on board for whatever they do for the finale, and if it's not perfect, i'll shrug and still enjoy it for what it is.

thorin

close to the edge said:
I started watching Arrested Development, season one a few weeks ago already but stopped after 3 episodes. Started again today and it's really great. Some of the too awkward humor still rubs me the wrong way but it's getting better.
I'm pretty much in the same boat, making my way through season 1. I like all of the main characters except George-Michael and Maeybe. I agree about the awkwardness.

Tobias = funny-awkward
George-Michael = awkward-awkward

Blader

I've given up on Deadwood...for the second time now. :lol

Some good acting, to be sure, but I just can't get into this show.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Just began watching True Blood this week.

On the 4th episode (1st season). As an Alan Ball fan I couldn't pass it up. I'm just ashamed I waited so long to give it a chance.

So far it's pretty damn awesome.

TripOpt55

I just finished up watching the first three seasons of Friday Night Lights and also the first ep of S4 on NBC. I really love the show except for some issues with Season 2 in particular, but having dug back into some old threads here it seems to be the same as most everyone else. So, I'm going to watch S4 as it airs on NBC. Is there a discussion thread for it or is it the same one as for the original airings on DirecTV? Because I probably won't set foot in there considering it'd have spoilers in it. Just curious no big deal really. Figured here was as good a place as any to ask.

TripOpt55 said:
I'm going to watch S4 as it airs on NBC. Is there a discussion thread for it or is it the same one as for the original airings on DirecTV? Because I probably won't set foot in there considering it'd have spoilers in it. Just curious no big deal really. Figured here was as good a place as any to ask.
There's only one thread at the moment, and it's the same one that the DTV people used. Seems like most people are being considerate about the NBC viewers, and I don't think there are any untagged spoilers on the current pages. I'd just avoid reading the first part of the thread and you should be fine for the most part.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I just started watching Jericho. I'm a few episodes in and I love it so far. I'm going to be upset when I finish the series and there is no proper ending. I only recogonize the guy who played George Hearst in Deadwood and then the kid from Saw 2.

kaskade

Since I got netflix there's quite a bit of shows instant streaming. I've watched the whole first season of Weeds and I'm only a few episodes away from finishing the 2nd. I also watched the first episode of Sparticus. I'll probably do a season of 30 Rock next.

filipe

Spent two weeks before season 6 started catching up on Lost. Had never wanted to watch it for whatever reason, but a friend with similar tastes in shows/movies was loving it, so I gave it a shot. Got up to season 4, episode 3 and stopped for a while. Started again last week and am now caught up and awaiting the finale.

For anyone who hasn't given Lost a chance, DO IT.

I've spent the last few days rewatching Avatar season 1, because its been too long and the movie is coming out, I wanna have the show fresh in my mind so I can bitch about it better.

Anyway, I forgot how great even the first season is. I remember there being more weak episodes, but I can only count a few. Zuko is way less annoying on rewatch too, he becomes one of the best characters so I guess the thought of what he becomes later makes him come off much better. Iroh is still the most amazing old person on tv ever. Aang is even more fun and a better lead then I remembered, and if he's not the smiling, adorable kid who just wants to have fun, then that isnt Aang. And it's the main reason I think the movie is gonna suck. The super serious trailer, marketing and comments by Shyamalan make it seem like the characters just wont be the same (or have the same name or be the right race >_<).

I also completely forgot about all the stuff
involving the spirit world and spirit monsters. The complaints that the ending was a Deus Ex Machina come off even more wrong on rewatch. I think it would've been weird if the spirit world didn't play a part in the finale in some way.

Onto season 2 and Toph! <3

For those that haven't seen it, If you want a new serialized show to watch, and dont mind that its a cartoon "aimed" at kids primarily, then I eagerly suggest you check it out. One of the best shows in recent years, kids show or not.

dakilla13

Just finished the first season of Friday Night Lights. Decided to watch it randomly and got addicted immediately. I'm really liking it and I think I will be starting season 2 very very soon.

Empty

just finished watching state of play, the bbc drama miniseries. i watched the first three hours last night, and the final three tonight; if it hadn't been so beautiful outside today i wouldn't have waited till this evening to finish it, which speaks to how gripping it is.

it's really a spectacular work, a political thriller of the highest quality and one of the best dramas i've seen from this country. it essentially examines the way that politics, the media, large corporations and the police intersect in our society, and does it through a well plotted, supremely paced and gripping character drama, that's as intense as it is intelligent. using some of the cream of the crop of british tv acting talent in david morrissey, john simm, philip glenlister, james mcavoy among others, it expertly brings to life three dimensional characters that reject easy cliches, none of the journalists are typical mavericks, there are no obvious evil corporate types, the politicians are not just bashed, and they form the life-force of the show. their motivations work, they are engaging and you care about their inter-tangling fates despite their many flaws. the other side is of course the plot, it could be tighter, with a few red herrings just not explained and a central part not going into the ending (that may actually be the point, come to think of it) though the dialogue and storytelling is right on the mark, and the rapid pacing, un-melodramatic direction, the refusal to indulge in action sequences, the quality of the writing along with the well worked twists make it hugely exciting and satisfying. i highly recommend it.

Messi

How do I get over the depression I feel ever morning I wake up and realise that I am not Don Draper, and I never will be. I love Mad Men and I am still in the first season.

Who here waits for tv series to come out on dvd before watching them? I am like a year behind in tv shows because I wait for dvd's to come out. I can't stand waiting for the next episode to air. Lost is killing me.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Osietra said:
Watching Oz, I just wish there'd be a little less of the anal sexing.

Apart from that it's up there with the HBO greats.

You are watching a graphic show about prison and you are complaining about the buttsex? Thats like watching a nature documentary and complaining about all the nature.

Drewsky

Messi said:
How do I get over the depression I feel ever morning I wake up and realise that I am not Don Draper, and I never will be. I love Mad Men and I am still in the first season.

Who here waits for tv series to come out on dvd before watching them? I am like a year behind in tv shows because I wait for dvd's to come out. I can't stand waiting for the next episode to air. Lost is killing me.
Yeah I like doing this way better. Waiting week to week kills me.

Salazar

Regarding Supernatural Season 4: a confession.

Oh damn, son. I choked up when Dean talked about what he did in Hell

Hold me, TV-GAF! So, Daria finally came out on DVD and I watched it for the first time in several years and, wow, it was funnier, smarter, and more insightful than what even my nostalgic memories could hope to suggest. And I came close to tears during the final episode of S5; the show really was about more than merely great satire. I also just finished watching the epilogue movie, Is It College Yet?, and it was a fitting send-off. Such a gem of a show spoken of much too little.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
As for returning shows, I'll be watching True Blood, Futurama and Entourage. (I have yet to start watching Mad Men.)

I'll give The Big C and Rubicon chances.

Genndy Tartakovsky's Sym-Bionic Titan should be starting this summer on Cartoon Network. That's a definite watch. The Venture Bros: Season 4.5 is supposed to be on track for starting in August.

Been watching the Office chronologically with the wife. I have always like the show but watched it prety sporadically.

Watching it in sequence (now into season 3) there are a lot more plot lines that carry over than I realized. Funniest show since Seinfeild IMO

gdt

Yeah, I'll watch the HBO summer stuff, Mad Men (hell yeah!), Rubicon.

Dexter should hit late late summer, I think. Californication around that time too.

Bunch of previews for NBCs new shows.

I quite like the look of The Event, Undercovers and The Cape. The giant girl in me is somewhat intrigued by Love Bites too although even I'm a bit sickened by the mushyness of the preview.

Decado

Cornballer said:
- Metacritic with an early Summer 2010 TV preview

What are people going to watch? Mad Men, Hung, and True Blood for me. I'll probably watch a bit of Rubicon to see if that's any good, too. Also might be catching up on Dexter, Parks & Recreation (never seen any of it), and maybe some of Psych because a friend bought me the dvd's for the first two seasons.
I'm not terribly excited about anything other than Mad Men.

I'll give the following shows another shot:

Hung
True Blood
Burn Notice
Entourage

I tended to skim through them last season, though. True Blood in particular is headed into "overwrought melodrama" territory. It'll probably be the first to fall.

Among new shows I may give a go:

Covert Affairs
Memphis Beat (tbh, it sounds pretty bad but the talent behind it is good...)
Rubicon (AMC, so I'll give it a chance)

Definitely watching Hung and Entourage.

And I love Entourage, I really do, but I fucking loathe the slack they're given. Ten episodes for an entire season? Usually running at barely 22 minutes? Give me a fucking break. They do themselves no favors whatsoever.

TheOddOne

randomlyrossy said:
Bunch of previews for NBCs new shows.

I quite like the look of The Event, Undercovers and The Cape. The giant girl in me is somewhat intrigued by Love Bites too although even I'm a bit sickened by the mushyness of the preview.
“Outsourced” looks hilarious, ''The Cape'' is freaking campy :lol and ''Friends With Benefits'' actually looks decent.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'll watch FUTURAMA and MAD MEN.

and i'll wait and take cues from you guys on whether anything new is triple-a (RUBICON and TERRIERS sound interesting)

Costanza

Banned
futurama
true blood
mad men
burn notice
royal pains
white collar
psych
rubicon
the good guys
hung
louie
warehouse 13
weeds

wow, this is the best summer tv season i can remember.

Messi said:
Drewsky said:
Yeah I like doing this way better. Waiting week to week kills me.
Yeah, same here. I really, really, want to watch Breaking Bad Season 3 right fucking now due to what I keep hearing about it, but I know I'll enjoy it more if I can watch it over the course of a week without commercials.

With that being said, I won't be watching the television series debuting over the summer, but I currently watch and love Burn Notice and Mad Men, and Entourage is a bit of a guilty pleasure. I also hope Rubicon will be good.

I am currently watching The West Wing for the first time. The first few episodes I felt were very uneven quality-wise. A handful were very good, but there were just as many I didn't care for. The writing seems to be a little too witty at times, but I can bear with it, as there are some very good lines, most coming from President Bartlett. Sam, Josh, Leo, and Toby are good characters. Mandy is so useless, though. It seems the writers started feeling the same way, as despite the fact she is one of the first faces in the opening credits, I can't remember the last episode she was in. :lol I am up to about the fifteenth episode, and picked up the last few seasons for cheap today, so this show is what is likely going to comprise the majority of my viewing for the next while.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Dear god I hope S4 of californication features more of the delicious Eva Amurii.

I've been watching the first few episodes of Treme and it is every bit as good as The Wire.
Other than that it's been Modern Family, Community, Lost, and Pacific for the time being.

Still need to finish Mad Men S3, start Dexter S4 and work my way through Fringe S2.

so much good TV these days it's insane.

edit: how could I forget Breaking Bad? The best show on Television (That has nothing to do with David Simon)

Summer: White Collar, Burn Notice (two pretty solid shows that don't require you to think too much), maybe Covert Affairs (the trailer didn't reveal much, but I'm a sucker for spy shows), I should also start watching Mad Men, but I should probably start with season 1.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Jayayess1190 said:
Just finished Spartacus days ago, most amazing show I've seen this year. Super hype for January! :D

Yeah, is an EXCELLENT show. I just hope they can make the mini series and season 2 just as good.

Kodiak said:
Dear god I hope S4 of californication features more of the delicious Eva Amurii.

Shame its not going to have more Sue Collini :'( awesome awesome character.

I'm watching The Shield, done season 1 over a weekend and watched the first 2 eps of Season 2 today, good stuff!

Sucks though, theres so much TV and im trying to exercise more :'(

Ashhong

afternoon delight said:
Definitely watching Hung and Entourage.

And I love Entourage, I really do, but I fucking loathe the slack they're given. Ten episodes for an entire season? Usually running at barely 22 minutes? Give me a fucking break. They do themselves no favors whatsoever.

WHAT? 10??????? fuck.

kharma45

Been watching V and Junior Apprentice.

V is ticking along nicely, better than I expected it to be.

So glad that little whiney dickhead was fired last week on Junior Apprentice, couldn't stand him.

kharma45 said:
Been watching V and Junior Apprentice.

V is ticking along nicely, better than I expected it to be.

So glad that little whiney dickhead was fired last week on Junior Apprentice, couldn't stand him.

I've been pleasantly surprised by V too. I expected to be an alrightish sci-fi show but it has actually turned out to be a really great sci-fi drama. I've really enjoyed the last few episodes too, some great stuff going on with the story, can't wait to see where they're going with it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Pristine_Condition said:
I watched the pilot premier of FOX's new show "The Good Guys," last night.

I liked it, and want to see more.

i didn't realized until too late that it starred the bad guy from BILLY MADISON. i so would've watched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom