• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

GrumpyAlien said:
I have seen a few episodes of Party Down on Netflix streaming these last couple of days. Pretty damn funny and it has just the kind of humor I like the best. Should keep me happy until Curb comes back.

I am also going to start watching Dr Who again. I got almost to the end of season 3 and haven't watched any season 4 yet. I wasn't that impressed most of time tbh. So, should I just skip to season 5? Is it a lot better than what I have seen up to now? I keep seeing the amazingly cute chick from the new season on peoples avatars and I figure I might as well check it out.

Watch "Blink" from S3; "Silence in the Library, "Forest of the Dead," and "Midnight" from S4; and the special "The Waters of Mars." Those are all pretty great, and the first 3 I listed factor into S5.

Iceman said:
I have to watch the Shield (only watched the first couple of seasons), The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood, and Rome.

What should my order be?
Nice choices, I've been on that same kick last year and a half or so. Only have half of The Sopranos and Deadwood to go.

I'd probably go Rome, Deadwood/The Sopranos, The Shield, The Wire.

hamchan

Finished Life on Mars UK. That's some good TV right there.

Now I have Rome, Ashes to Ashes and Friday Night Lights to watch.

gdt5016 said:
Just skip ahead to the new season.

It's actually a good show now.

The new Doctor/companion/showrunner=win.
I've never watched Doctor Who before but all the avatars made me kind of interested. Do I miss out on a lot if I skip to the current season?

hamchan

close to the edge said:
I've never watched Doctor Who before but all the avatars made me kind of interested. Do I miss out on a lot if I skip to the current season?

I'm not a Doctor Who fan at all but I take it every time there's a new doctor it's a new jumping on point? I'm also interested in watching.

hamchan said:
I'm not a Doctor Who fan at all but I take it every time there's a new doctor it's a new jumping on point? I'm also interested in watching.
It's more the new production team and showrunner (Steven Moffat, who wrote most of the standout episodes of prior seasons) that makes this season a great starting point. There is a definite jump in production values and, while some shoddy episodes remain, the general quality of the writing is much better. Matt Smith also makes for a brilliant Doctor.

Whilst Season 5's a pretty great place to jump in, there are a few episodes from prior seasons i'd consider necessities before starting. Most notably Blink and the Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead 2-parter.

- THR Live Feed round table with Drama showrunners:
Damon Lindelof: 'I cannot watch 'Breaking Bad' with commercials'

"Are you trying to get us fired?" Matt Nix joked when asked how he handles disputes with his "Burn Notice" actors. Relationships and compromises -- with their co-writers, networks and rabid fans -- were a common theme during the hourlong discussion with our panel of Emmy-worthy drama showrunners. Below Nix, Michelle King ("The Good Wife"), Damon Lindelof ("Lost"), Daniel Zelman ("Damages") and Vince Gilligan ("Breaking Bad") sound off.

I'm through the first five episodes of Spartacus. Fun show.

Acid08

Banned

I've been watching this on Netflix instant stream and man, it's incredible. The action is fast and intense and there are genuinely funny moments that adults will appreciate a lot more than children. The art style and animation is amazing, I can't believe it's American done. I never gave the show a chance before because it was on Nick and that doesn't instill a ton of confidence in me. Really glad I finally started watching it, I'm almost done with the second season but the movie that apparently ended the series isn't on streaming :[. One of the things I love about the series most is the characters. They're all VERY fleshed out and they constantly surprise you. Even though there are technically good/evil sides they really make you emotionally involved in both.

The Vampire Diaries

SURPRISINGLY GOOD -- especially towards the second half of the season. Piss-annoying start but mind-blowingly good at the end of the season

Acid08 said:

Thanks for the review! I am going to start watching it tomorrow. Sounds really cool, and am surprised I haven't watched it before. I probably thought it was just some kiddie crap or something.

I have been watching Spartacus. Just watched the episode titled "Whore".
WTF at that woman getting her head bashed in?! This show's hardcore. The whole scene before that with the masks was pretty well done too.

I have also been checking out some of the Doctor Who episodes people recommended. I was originally going to skip season 3 and 4, but the few I have seen have really given me the sci-fi fix I have been looking for. Episodes like Blink, Human Nature, and The Family of Blood are so good. I just watched Utopia. What started out as a shitty episode ended with my jaw on the floor. Wow! I don't think I am going to skip anything now.

Linkhero1 said:
Is Breaking Bad worth watching? Some people told me not to watch it but I want GAF's opinion.

Greatest show on TV right now bar-none. Its seriously one of most entertaining shows I have ever seen. Writing, visuals, acting, sense of humor. It seriously never lets down. Watch it and be blown away.

GrumpyAlien said:
I have been watching Spartacus. Just watched the episode titled "Whore".
WTF at that woman getting her head bashed in?! This show's hardcore. The whole scene before that with the masks was pretty well done too.
:lol That was the biggest WTF moment of the season for me, in a show that is filled with some mighty good WTF moments. Illythia might just be my fave character.

I finished the season a couple days ago and the finale is fucking crazy. I can't recommend this show enough.

Salazar

Watching Le Chevalier d'Eon.

It's terrific. I'm about seven episodes in, and it is making a spendid change from mecha, samurai, and vampires.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
OMG Gaf, im watching The Wire. Three eps into season 1 and diggin the shit out of it. Love the gang side as well.

Edit: Maybe the people who told him not to watch Breaking Bad own them all on DVD and dont wanna share..............

Who are these people telling people not to watch Breaking Bad. WTF are wrong with these people? Fuck people. Fuck them. These same people would probably watch Sex and the City and godamn Twilight and break down in tears or something. Why the fuck would anyone not like Breaking Bad. For fuck sake. People with dumb opinions should shut up and go away. How can someone form such an opinion, let alone let that opinion out in the world for other to hear? Idiots. All of them are complete idiots. Don't listen to them, and inform others of their earth-shattering ineptitude at life.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
OMG Gaf, im watching The Wire. Three eps into season 1 and diggin the shit out of it. Love the gang side as well.

Edit: Maybe the people who told him not to watch Breaking Bad own them all on DVD and dont wanna share..............
Arrrgh, I finally need to start watching The Wire properly as well.. only watched the Pilot so far and I've got the whole 5 seasons box.

Been catching up on Doctor Who season 5 (skipped the rest, for now) and I love it. Light-hearted, fun and Matt Smith is awesome. "Bow ties are cool." :lol

Jay Sosa

Linkhero1 said:
Is Breaking Bad worth watching? Some people told me not to watch it but I want GAF's opinion.

Nah it's worth watching, again I think there is a bit to much relationship drama (that seems to be a new trend that I really don't like) going on but it's entertaining.

Watched the Pilot of Kings yesterday, that shit was brilliant.

That's what makes it so fucking great. None of this "here are the bad guys and there are the good and awesome cops" shit.

And if you already like it after 3 episodes you will love the rest.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

close to the edge said:
Arrrgh, I finally need to start watching The Wire properly as well.. only watched the Pilot so far and I've got the whole 5 seasons box.

Yeah thats what i got. I put of watching it for a bit till i got a new PS3 so i could upscale.

Jay Sosa said:
Nah it's worth watching, again I think there is a bit to much relationship drama (that seems to be a new trend that I really don't like) going on but it's entertaining.

Watched the Pilot of Kings yesterday, that shit was brilliant.

That's what makes it so fucking great. None of this "here are the bad guys and there are the good and awesome cops" shit.

And if you already like it after 3 episodes you will love the rest.

Kings is an incredible show, cant believe it got cancelled.

Yeah, i loved the shield cause it was good cop/bad cop with a lot of gang stuff mixed in, so there is no doubt i will love The Wire.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
JaseC said:
Finished watching Six Feet Under last night. The series finale was bloody amazing.
Yeah it really is, i still re-watch that finale on youtube every now then.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Lafiel said:
Yeah it really is, i still re-watch that finale on youtube every now then.

Prior to watching the show, I read through a LTTP thread here on GAF. Many of the posts mentioned how sad/depressing/etc. the finale is. When I finally got there, the episode was close to finishing and I found myself thinking, "This can't be it, can it? Nothing has happened which would fit the description." But, those final 10 or so minutes? Wow.

Next to the finale, my favourite episode would have to be "That's my Dog". Brutal stuff.

Finished up S1 of Spartacus last week. Highly entertaining show and I flew through it on Netflix faster than most things I've watched in the past. Good times. Glad to hear that Whitfield is recovering well these days.

Now I'm on to watching Dexter S4 as part of my Summer catch up.

Bukana

Arrested Development : 10/10 very underrated show .. Hear they'll be a movies next year .. Can't wait to see G.O.B :lol :lol .

Well, after a year.... It's time for a Wire re-watch. :D

Wire07.jpg

Feels good man. :D

Finished Season 1 of True Blood! It was cool!:D

Thinking about trying;

Castle
Flashforward
Parks and Recreation
Community
V
Fringe
Spartacus

But I have no idea about which to see first!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Vigilant Walrus said:

Thinking about trying;

Castle
Flashforward
Parks and Recreation
Community
V
Fringe
Spartacus

I wouldn't bother with Flashforward. Community is pretty good, particularly episode 23. Fringe, despite the plethora of "freak of the week" episodes, is rewarding when the mythology and plot advances. Spartacus starts off poorly but gets progressively better, culminating in television's greatest season finale yet.

Castle, Parks and V I haven't watched yet, so I can't comment on those.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Watched the new ep of Family Guy last night, its about abortion. Are they showing this in the US or wont Fox let them?
Watched it last night, have to say it was one of the best eps in a long time. The whole anti abortion video was very funny and the ending was great :D

Also probably the best part:

"Theres only one way your not getting on that train *boom chicka waaa waaaa*" :lol

Vigilant Walrus said:

Thinking about trying;

Castle
Flashforward
Parks and Recreation
Community
V
Fringe
Spartacus

V and Castle are worth checking out for sure. V is a surprisingly good sci-fi action/drama. Castle isn't the best show in the world but it's good fun and often really well written (in terms of dialogue).

FlashForward ended up being pretty good but it ended on a huge cliffhanger so I can't really recommending checking it out especially since it wasn't a very good show for most of its run.

big ander

Bukana said:
Arrested Development : 10/10 very underrated show .. Hear they'll be a movies next year .. Can't wait to see G.O.B :lol :lol .
I realize I'm nitpicking, but regardless: AD is not underrated. It's underwatched. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who's seen it who wouldn't at least call it a very good show. The consensus I've observed is that it's amazing. Because, well, it is. :D Let's hope that movie finally gets made.
Vigilant Walrus said:

Thinking about trying;

Castle
Flashforward
Parks and Recreation
Community
V
Fringe
Spartacus

Fringe is really great, especially the end of season 1. I'd recommend it highly. Community is also great. What I've seen of Parks is wonderful, but I haven't seen every episode.

I just watched seasons 1 and 2 of Big Bang Theory. Sheldon is a really funny character, everyone else is passable, and the science pleases me in a nerdy way. Like when I guessed that Sheldon would go to Mercury and then Ytterbium.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

beelzebozo said:
i still haven't figured out how anyone can watch TRUE BLOOD with a straight face.

Kinda the point, i laugh whenever im watching it with my brother and some awkward scene comes on that makes everyone squeam............ so far season 3 has been a hoot, naked dudes everywhere.

ilikeme

I watched the second seasons of United States of Tara and Dollhouse

I enjoyed both. USoT is so nice because I never would had watched it if the episodes were longer than they are. They're like 29 minutes or something. Perfect. Love watching the personalities at work and the gay kid. Cute cute cute

Dollhouse was like the first season except better. The first half was boring shit and the second half was rushed awesome-cakes one after another. The places they could have gone.... Thankful for what I got though, Whedon ma bwai

Now watching True Blood season 3 as it continues. First two episodes were awesome. Hot sexcakes and funjumbles all in my mouth and down between my legs there is melted honey

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just finished the shield "season 5".

Absolutely incredible. I'm so excited to see where things go from there, because wow, i'm interested if they are going top that finale and that scene (you know the one) in the next 2 seasons.o_o

mello

Just finished season one of Breaking Bad, and I'm fucking blown away by how incredible it is. I've become totally illiterate just finding the words to describe how I feel about this series so far, it's that good.

Ceres

Banned
Started watching Friday Night Lights a few weeks ago and midway through s2.

First thought: This show has as much melodrama as a soap opera.

Also, Julie is sooooooo annoying. WAH!
MY EX-BOYFRIEND HAS A NEW GIRLFRIEND AND DOESNT WANT ME BECAUSE I WAS A BITCH AND DUMPED HIM TO GO AFTER A MUCH OLDER GUY! WHY DO ONLY BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO ME!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom