• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
mello said:
Just finished season one of Breaking Bad, and I'm fucking blown away by how incredible it is. I've become totally illiterate just finding the words to describe how I feel about this series so far, it's that good.

Best thing is, it keeps getting better.

Finished Season 1 of The Wire, damn good. Gonna dive into Season 2 today.

Edit: Watched the fist 2 eps, fuckin McNulty :lol :lol

gdt

Ceres said:
Started watching Friday Night Lights a few weeks ago and midway through s2.

First thought: This show has as much melodrama as a soap opera.

Also, Julie is sooooooo annoying. WAH!
MY EX-BOYFRIEND HAS A NEW GIRLFRIEND AND DOESNT WANT ME BECAUSE I WAS A BITCH AND DUMPED HIM TO GO AFTER A MUCH OLDER GUY! WHY DO ONLY BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO ME!!

S2 is absolutely the lowpoint of the show. No one would say any different.

It's like FNL's writers temporarily lost their minds.

Blader

Ceres said:
Started watching Friday Night Lights a few weeks ago and midway through s2.

First thought: This show has as much melodrama as a soap opera.

Also, Julie is sooooooo annoying. WAH!
MY EX-BOYFRIEND HAS A NEW GIRLFRIEND AND DOESNT WANT ME BECAUSE I WAS A BITCH AND DUMPED HIM TO GO AFTER A MUCH OLDER GUY! WHY DO ONLY BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO ME!!

Yes, FNL is extremely soap opera-ish until S3, where it becomes the Riggins Power Hour.

JaCy

I'm about half way through Parks and Recreation, I just watched the Christmas Scandal episode and was probably my favorite so far.

After watching 2 episodes and not giving a shit at all a while back, I finally decided to give Deadwood another go and it's actually fantastic! I chalk it up to Red Dead Redemption and
I did not realize that Hickock got capped so early in the first season (I knew it would happen eventually just not in like episode 4), so that was a big surprise and really made me want to keep going

Just tired a few episodes of Human Target. I had all eleven episodes saved up on my DVR and needed to get rid / watch them to gain more space. I am happy to say I kinda like it, and it seems to be getting better every episode (at #5 now).

I am not sure if this is the best way to explain it, it to me it seem like a TV-14 version of Chuck. Same kinda humour, but able to get a bit saucier at times. I am not sure if the show matches up in terms of making an entertaining season long story arc, but I like the stand alone episodes they are doing.

Side note, the female guest stars are blooming lovely :p

target60-thumb-525xauto-4991.jpg

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I've been watching Friday Night Lights Season 1 since yesterday. It is pretty entertaining. I hate Lyla though. She is so annoying. I love Netflix Streaming. That is good to hear that it becomes less of a soap opera later on.

hamchan

Started watching Ashes to Ashes, so far I'm about 7 episodes in. I was pretty hyped to watch it, after all it's the sequel to Life on Mars. Unfortunately I thought the Pilot was really terrible and the female lead was really annoying.

Thankfully the show has become much better after that. Cases became less crazy and the lead became much less annoying. I'm very interested in seeing what happens next.

S1lent said:
Just burned through Freaks and Geeks...amazing, amazing show.

I just did this last week because of Gafs recommendation. Such a incredible show. It was pretty bittersweet watching it knowing after ep18 I was never going to see these characters again.

Rokam

So all seasons of Veronica Mars are on netflix and I've been debating watching it, caught the first episode seemed decent. What's the GAF concensus on this? And was it cancelled cause it was shit or because the WB/CW is a fan of cancelling shows that people like?

Got done with Human Target a few days ago. Was one of the first shows I watched in ages just due to liking the adverts. Never saw any GAF hype, or never got a recommendation from friends. Really liked the run of 11 (I think) episode. Cannot wait for season 2. I guess it could be classed as a bit corny at times, but the fight scenes, overall action, and the majority of the stories are top notch. The season long story arch got quite interesting in the end too, and
Baptiste
seems like a great arch nemesis type character that could recur down the line.

Now to try and find another show I like. Finding this gives me hope there is loads of little gems I overlooked.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Rokam said:
So all seasons of Veronica Mars are on netflix and I've been debating watching it, caught the first episode seemed decent. What's the GAF concensus on this? And was it cancelled cause it was shit or because the WB/CW is a fan of cancelling shows that people like?

Veronica Mars is extremely well received around here. The CW cancelled it because of low rating. Like a lot of shows (especially on the UPN side of things) it only survived one season after the WB/UPN merger.

It is really good. Veronica is a fun character, and the writing is very snappy.

the-iek

Grizzlyjin said:
Veronica Mars is extremely well received around here. The CW cancelled it because of low rating. Like a lot of shows (especially on the UPN side of things) it only survived one season after the WB/UPN merger.

It is really good. Veronica is a fun character, and the writing is very snappy.
The CW would be glad to receive these ratings nowadays. :(

Empty

Rokam said:

that the show is excellent, well the first series is overwhelmingly considered to be so, but there is some debate over the quality of S2 and S3. it was canceled because of lack of viewers, iirc.

i highly recommend watching more.

Finished season 1 of Party Down. Wow I think I enjoy this one almost as much as Curb. I might check out Veronica Mars after I am done with it.

Also just finished Season 3 of the David Tennant Dr Who. Man, what a way to ruin a brilliant 3 part finale with an ending like that. ugh. Anyway, the recommendations I got here about what to watch from that were great. Blink, Family of Blood, Waters of Mars were fantastic.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
the-iek said:
The CW would be glad to receive these ratings nowadays. :(

Yeah, when The CW started off I thought it was actually going somewhere. They actually had a decent lineup of programs to draw people in back in the 2006-2007 season. Great mix of young hip shows, and also family friendly viewing material.

Gilmore Girls
7th Heaven
Veronica Mars
Smallville
Everybody Hates Chris
America's Next Top Model
One Tree Hill
Supernatural
Girlfriends

I mean, they weren't going to be raking in any awards, but I'm kind of shocked how disappointing their new programming as been. A lot of the above shows were already on their last legs by 2006, but then they had to go and get cancel crazy on top of that.

mello

Watched episode 6 of the second season of Breaking Bad. I think at this point it's safe to assume this show is the GREATEST drama ever to have hit television. I really don't see how the writers could go wrong at this point. It has a solid structure, and it's sticking by it. I love it to pieces. The characters are very charismatic, you'll fall in love with all of them in terms of there role in the series. I hate Skyler at the moment, but I love her character, if you get what I'm saying. It's a very intelligent series, that explores all the types of emotion, finding a very good balance of it all. I'm so hyped! Going to watch episodes 7-10 tonight. :p

Meliorism

I finished watching Flight of the Conchords a little while ago. I had seen episodes here and there and really dug it so I decided to just check out the 2 seasons. Neat show. Love the soundtracks.

I also am caught up on True Blood. I definitely dismissed the show initially but finally decided to give it a chance and I really like it. As someone who has no interest in reading the books, I am curious as to how much each season follows them. I also wonder if Ball has any idea of the amount of seasons he would like to take the show.

Currently, I'm watching Luther, the Idris Elba BBC thing. It's short, so I can do that.

I'll probably try and watch Mad Men after it.

hamchan

Finished watching Rome, fantastic show, would recommend to anyone.

Finished Ashes to Ashes Season 1. Started off very weak but became better as the season progressed. Now i'm liking it as much as I did Life on Mars.

Started watching Friday Night Lights because of recommendations here. I ended up watching 7 episodes in a row.

Watched the first episode of Spartacus. Didn't seem that good for most of it, I dug the fight at the end though. Will keep watching since everyone tells me it gets better.

Grizzlyjin said:
Yeah, when The CW started off I thought it was actually going somewhere. They actually had a decent lineup of programs to draw people in back in the 2006-2007 season. Great mix of young hip shows, and also family friendly viewing material.

Gilmore Girls
7th Heaven
Veronica Mars
Smallville
Everybody Hates Chris
America's Next Top Model
One Tree Hill
Supernatural
Girlfriends

I mean, they weren't going to be raking in any awards, but I'm kind of shocked how disappointing their new programming as been. A lot of the above shows were already on their last legs by 2006, but then they had to go and get cancel crazy on top of that.

I got my wife the complete series of Gilmore Girls for Mother's Day. I have to say, I'm really enjoying it - a lot more than I thought I would. We're up to season 5 now, and Lauren Graham and Scott Patterson both knock it out of the park on a regular basis.

I've grown tired of Rory at this point, but Luke and Lorelai are awesome.

So I'm one episode away from finishing my rewatch of The West Wing, and there are a couple of things I want to say.

For one, I do not understand the hate for the last three season. Not one but. I mean, season 5 is probably the weakest of the last three seasons, but it has some really memorable moments. Season 6
starts the Santos/Vinick arc that season 7 steamrolls through nearly right to the end. Santos/Vinick only gets better as time goes on.

I would preferred
Josh and Toby heading the Santos campaign, but I'm really satisfied with what was done with Toby in the last two seasons.

I also like how characters like
Sam, Amy, Ansly, ect
without knowing for sure what their futures will be.

A very, very consistently good show from beginning to end. It's hard to rank the seasons.

Ceres

Banned
I'm up to the current season of Friday Night Lights. I wouldn't call it a great show. A lot better than some of the stuff out there and easy to watch a lot all at once.

Randomly decided to watch South of Nowhere after hearing some good things about it. I have two episodes left to watch and I started it on Wednesday of last week. Watched around 30 episodes in two days (they're only about 22m long), went away for the weekend, and am slowly making my way through the last 10. For a teen show on Nick, it's surprisingly a great show, especially considering the subject matter.
It is actually the first tv show to have gay teenagers as the main leads - not a huge spoiler as it was a well known thing before the show even started airing and you find this out in the first few episodes although the main girl is kind of still figuring it out
. Kind of sad there's only two more episodes as this is easily a show that could have gone further. Although with everyone supposed to be off to college, it's probably best there wasn't an attempt at a college years.
Probably not a show that most guys will enjoy despite the two main girls.

harSon

Banned
Started watching Sons of Anarchy a few weeks ago, I'm 11 episodes into it and I'm loving it thus far. I still have an issue with Charlie Hunnam's role as Jax, he certainly acts and sounds the part, but he visually looks like a harmless surfer :lol Outside of that it's great. Excellent cast, wonderfully written, and nice balance of drama/acting and comedic relief. Katey Sagal steals the show though, she's absolutely brilliant as Gemma.

DeathNote said:
is true blood recommended? my sister said it was girly?

It appeals to girls, but is very watchable for other audiences too. It the most anti-Twilight you could get whilst staying in the vampire relationship genre.

You could probably call Dexter a guy show, but I know girls who cannot wait for new episodes to air. This is the same kinda thing

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
DeathNote said:

True Blood is Twilight for adults. It's a B-movie soap opera that doesn't even try to be subtle.

I have one episode left of Freaks and Geeks that I have been saving for weeks now because I just can't bring myself to finish the series and admit its over.

Easily one of my favorites of all time. It breaks my heart that I won't see these characters anymore.

DeathNote said:
It's total camp, but it's highly entertaining. Lots of blood, sex, and violence with some pretty high production values. Worth a look as a guilty pleasure.
harSon said:
Started watching Sons of Anarchy a few weeks ago, I'm 11 episodes into it and I'm loving it thus far. I still have an issue with Charlie Hunnam's role as Jax, he certainly acts and sounds the part, but he visually looks like a harmless surfer :lol Outside of that it's great. Excellent cast, wonderfully written, and nice balance of drama/acting and comedic relief. Katey Sagal steals the show though, she's absolutely brilliant as Gemma.
You're in for a treat as S2 is much better than S1. I can't wait for the new season to start up this Fall.

Penguin

Don't know if this counts, I review TV shows based on their intros on my site.

And someone recommended the oddest show, Small Wonder, and its so delightfully cheesy.

mello

Finished season two of Breaking Bad and not only am I left satisfied but I'm grasping for more. Last few episodes have been built up so well, the foundation for the finale couldn't have been set up any better. The writers for every episode all seemed to work well together, piecing what would become an intelligently distinct script, where the romance between the dialogue and cast have been constructed so beautifully, it leaves you overwhelmed with emotion. I'm so familiar with the characters now and the writers are slowly introducing more to fall in love with. I really liked
the guy who came to Jesse's house to clean up the evidence, I kind of felt that paid a little homage to Tarantino's Winston Wolf from Pulp Fiction. Gus is also a very needed character for the show, very quiet but plays a huge role behind it all. I like to call him the adrenaline to the show.
The entire season was paced so well, and now I feel like the show is unstoppable, nothing can ruin it. I hope all continues well with this incredible creative output from the team behind the show, I really have to tip my hat for these guys right now for pulling this off so dramatically well. I never would have thought I'd be hooked on a drama like this before.

Hopefully I'll get started on season three this week. I'm really enjoying this summer. :D

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
just started watching misfits.

british little shit kids get hit by lightning and develop powers. It's amazing so far.

Salazar

Dax01 said:
A very, very consistently good show from beginning to end. It's hard to rank the seasons.

The rapport and repartee between Josh, Sam, and Toby is one of the reasons for my great faith in and affection for tv as a medium. I just felt, and still feel to a degree, so god damned warmed by how clever and amusing and interesting that show and those characters in particular could be.

Jay Sosa

Rewatching Buffy and I'm really surprised how well it holds up despite me now being used to stuff like Wire and Dexter, and my god did she look hot (yeah I'm a pedo I know) no wonder I had a crash on her. Especially in the Halloween episode with dark curly hair.

You can say about Whedon whatcha want but he has a good eye for gorgoeus actresses.

Also started with Monster (Anime) yesterday, seems interesting though all the germans speaking japanese is a bit odd.

halloween-buffy.jpg

Jay Sosa said:
Rewatching Buffy and I'm really surprised how well it holds up despite me now being used to stuff like Wire and Dexter, and my god did she look hot (yeah I'm a pedo I know) no wonder I had a crash on her. Especially in the Halloween episode with dark curly hair.

[/IMG]
She was like 20something when the show started wasn't she?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom