• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows you've watched recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I have been watching alot of News Radio, It Always Sunny In Philadelphia, and South Park. 3 of my top 4 favorite comedies of all time. The 4th being Arrested Development.

I also showed one of my friends the first 4 episodes of Band of Brothers. Now he has to wait 2 weeks to finish it. :D

I watched Chuck this week. I'm getting a little of tired of Chuck. His pussy boy act is getting old and the Buy More stuff is 10x more interesting than the spy stuff. Plus I'm not in love with Yvonne Strahovski like everyone else in the Chuck thread. So it doesnt have that going for it. If they killed off Sarah tomorrow I wouldnt miss her.

Blader5489 said:
Still watching Doctor Who, still not really liking it...is there something I'm not "getting"? With the exception of "Father's Day," which I liked, all of the stories have been kind of boring so far.

I'd give it until the middle of series 2, if you don't like it them, you probably won't. It does get more sci-fiy and less soapy.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
infiniteloop said:
I'd give it until the middle of series 2, if you don't like it them, you probably won't. It does get more sci-fiy and less soapy.

If you have to go that far into a series to get into it its not worth watching.

Finished FNL S1 last night. Great show. Might take a break from it for a while before digging into S2. Good to know that S2 is on Instant View w/ Netflix, too.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
well, two seasons of DEADWOOD and i just can't stop watching. what an incredible show. i plan on typing up more extended thoughts in the next couple of days, but needless to say i'm thoroughly impressed with the writing in particular--how strong that particular aspect is always comes to a head in the final scene of each of the first two seasons, when the writers understand the best way to end a season of television full of so many emotional ups and downs is on a small moment, but a moment that nonetheless could not have taken place when we initially met these characters. the focus on swearingen as the key figure in both those final scenes is also fascinating to me, but i haven't quite discerned what it means yet, if anything.

keep waiting for hearst to tell us what that color is he has a passion for. i mean, is it red, is it blue, or is he a violet guy? gotta finish season 3 pronto!

Brian Fellows said:
If you have to go that far into a series to get into it its not worth watching.

Some of my favourite shows ever didn't grab me until the second season/late first season. It's television, first seasons of shows are never always an indication of how the rest of the series will be. Particularly serialized shows.

Beezlebozo that reminds me, I should probably finish Deadwood one of these days, I made it to early season 3 and then stopped for some reason. I was liking it too.

Blader

Darklord said:
Just skip to season 3 then?

That's pretty much what I ended up doing.

I decided to just watch a few s2 episodes: Christmas Invasion, Girl in the Fireplace, The Impossible Planet, The Satan Pit, Army of Ghosts, and Doomsday. And they were all actually really good! There were only 2 episodes I liked in s1, so even though I skipped most of s2, I ended up enjoying it a lot more.

I love Tennant as the Doctor, much more so than Eccleston. I think he does a better job with both the light-hearted stuff and the more serious dramatic moments.

But I also really disliked Rose a lot less in s2. Billie Piper seemed really full of herself, and it was both annoying and took the drama out of some scenes. I'm glad that
she's gone. But I have to hand it to her, her final scenes, especially with the Doctor, were a great ending for the character. I can't say I'll miss her, but she went out nicely.

Costanza

Banned
Just watched the pilot of Nip/Tuck because a friend has been begging me for like a year.. good stuff.

Also working my way through Curb Your Enthusiasm. Season 4 is kinda meh (still need to watch the finale) but everything else has been awesome.

Costanza said:
Just watched the pilot of Nip/Tuck because a friend has been begging me for like a year.. good stuff.

Yeah the show is a fun, trashy, black comedy in its first two seasons...then season 3 happened.

I watched the newest episode because Katee Sackhoff was in it (looking effing gorgeous). And I just know I'm gonna keep watching as long as she is around.
I was laughing my arse during the previouslys, I haven't watched the show in two seasons, so it was pretty hilarious seeing what crazy shit has been happening.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Being Erica on CBC. It's about a woman in her 30's being given the chance to go back to different parts of her life in order to make changes. I love these kinds of shows and the actress (Erin Karpluk) is very likable.

http://www.cbc.ca/beingerica/

Blader5489 said:
That's pretty much what I ended up doing.

I decided to just watch a few s2 episodes: Christmas Invasion, Girl in the Fireplace, The Impossible Planet, The Satan Pit, Army of Ghosts, and Doomsday. And they were all actually really good! There were only 2 episodes I liked in s1, so even though I skipped most of s2, I ended up enjoying it a lot more.
Heh, good to see you enjoy it. I much prefer Tennant in the role as well, though i did appreciate Eccleston's portrayal. The Impossible Planet 2-parter were the first eps i saw of new Who and they hooked me. Such great episodes. You do have to wade through a lot of crap, but there are some definite gems to be found and even the silly episodes can be some fun... most of the time.

A lot of fans (including me) have a love/hate relationship with the show, because the showrunner, Russel T Davies, who writes the majority of the episodes, is so inconsistent and a lot of the time just plain awful. Season 5 is something to look forward to, because there is a big creative shift with Steven Moffat taking over the show. He has written a lot of the strongest episodes - Girl In The Fireplace, Blink, The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Silence in the Library - and created the awesomeness that is Coupling.

Recon

Banned
Queer As Folk. I have watched 3 of the 5 seasons and half way into the fourth. This is such a good show. I would put it right behind The Wire as one of the best shows ever put out.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Costanza said:

Also working my way through Curb Your Enthusiasm. Season 4 is kinda meh (still need to watch the finale) but everything else has been awesome.

the first season of nip/tuck is, in my opinion, one of the most perfect seasons of television ever made. is its narrative as complex as THE WIRE, or its world as natural as DEADWOOD? far from it. it's a ludicrous world, but it's one that's consistent, and for whatever reason the emotions there are real. i still remember the constant emotional struggle i had within myself where sean's relationships were concerned. this was when there was still a stark contrast between christian's philandering and sean's fight to be a good husband and father. that's what i loved about him as a character: that he so badly wanted to be a good person.

i feel very much that the show has lost its way in that regard, even if it remains entertaining in a freakshow kinda way.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
jesus cocksucking christ.

deadwood_l.jpg

i just finished DEADWOOD last night. what an incredible end to an incredible show. i have a lot of thoughts about the strengths of television over film, and i had a similar reaction to the end of DEADWOOD that i had to the end of THE WIRE. when i finished THE WIRE, i thought to myself, "that was better than the best cop movie i'd ever watched prior," and when i finished DEADWOOD, it was "that was better than the best western i've ever watched."

the real strength is that with so much time to spend with each character, they're capable of making slow, subtle shifts to everyone. it's incredible to look at what a huge delta there is between al swearingen in the first episode of the first season, compared to the last episode of the last season; yet that change is telegraphed and again seems perfectly natural because it happens so slowly, subtly, and in the moment in-between the show's "high points."

DEADWOOD is the best 27 hour western you'll ever watch. it has a pace that flows so naturally that it feels like just watching people live, and the only unnatural moment is the moment you realize it's ended.

and for the love of god, do not put out unauthorized cinnamon with the peaches.

Darko

dragonballz-wallfull.jpg

Been watching Dragonball Z, so awesome. Its serlialized (like lost, 24 ect) Its like watching one big fucking epic movie :D

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
serialized shows are so awesome like that. as i said, DEADWOOD is like this huge 27 hour western; when you find one that you really like, the scope of the story being told can be overwhelming, but overwhelming in the best way.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
lovejoy?

edit: oh, ian mcshane! yeah, he rules this show. you need to watch it. the only thing i'd seen him in prior to this was sexy beast.

I need to rewatch Deadwood at some point. I have all of the dvds sitting here.

Anyone that watches Breaking Bad - there are some webisodes up now. Scroll to the bottom of the page for info. Those of you not watching Breaking Bad should get the dvds next week when they're out and watch before the new season starts March 8th.

Mifune

Mehmber
Finished Season One of MI-5. Really enjoyed it, although the Season One cliffhanger was a bit too "24" for my tastes. There was some fantastic stuff in this season, though. The best was the episode with Anthony Head and Hugh Laurie. Laurie was amazing and Head's character was just heartbreaking. Great show.

Also finished the first season of The West Wing and watched the first two eps of season two. Toby Ziegler is one of the best TV creations ever. Schiff's performance is unreal.

Mifune

Mehmber
icarus-daedelus said:
They do some wanky things with his character later on, imo, but yeah, he's by far the best character on the show. He even makes up for the existence of Josh, whose actor has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Really? I like Josh. I though the Season Two flashback scene at the airport with him and Bartlet was pretty moving.

I kind of can't stand it when the show goes all romantic relationshippy but otherwise I'm loving it (and am dreading some of the later wanky stuff).

Mifune said:
Finished Season One of MI-5. Really enjoyed it, although the Season One cliffhanger was a bit too "24" for my tastes. There was some fantastic stuff in this season, though. The best was the episode with Anthony Head and Hugh Laurie. Laurie was amazing and Head's character was just heartbreaking. Great show.

Spooks is awesome, changes tone as the series progresses but it's always worth watching.

Finished Band of Brothers right after the holidays. Then went straight to Weeds and saw all 3 seasons. Now working my way to The Wire.

The new Scrubs episodes all have been fantastic so far.

gdt

Darko said:
dragonballz-wallfull.jpg

Been watching Dragonball Z, so awesome. Its serlialized (like lost, 24 ect) Its like watching one big fucking epic movie :D

DBZ is pretty much the perfect "first time" anime/shonen. But its definitely not the best. When you finish DBZ (or now really) you should really check out One Piece. Its different, quirky, funny, hell-it plain wierd coming from something like DBZ. But its also the most epic anime ever. The Strawhats are a very compelling group, the fights are all different (not just basic hand-to-hand energy ball saiyan fests) and there is very, very little filler (and sometimes the filler is pretty damn good). Plus its just a very interesting world.

Some people take awhile to get used to the artstyle (it did for me) and the show doesn't get super awesome till like episode 15ish (right around the Floating Restaurant/Arlong Park), and even then some people cant get over the general silliness, but if you do, there isnt a more epic shonen. Bad-ass fights, GREAT characters,and its funny as hell.

Seriously. Check it out.

gdt

Oh and for my own contribution

I just checked out Eastbound and Down. Really really funny and had a fantastic soundtrack.

Blader

Spotless Mind said:
Heh, good to see you enjoy it. I much prefer Tennant in the role as well, though i did appreciate Eccleston's portrayal. The Impossible Planet 2-parter were the first eps i saw of new Who and they hooked me. Such great episodes. You do have to wade through a lot of crap, but there are some definite gems to be found and even the silly episodes can be some fun... most of the time.

A lot of fans (including me) have a love/hate relationship with the show, because the showrunner, Russel T Davies, who writes the majority of the episodes, is so inconsistent and a lot of the time just plain awful. Season 5 is something to look forward to, because there is a big creative shift with Steven Moffat taking over the show. He has written a lot of the strongest episodes - Girl In The Fireplace, Blink, The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Silence in the Library - and created the awesomeness that is Coupling.

Yeah, I heard about Moffat taking over, which is awesome. But the news of Tennant leaving, and being replaced with who looks like the biggest douchebag in history, is kind of depressing.

I started series 3 recently; only a couple episodes in, but I like it. Tennant is still awesome and Martha is gorgeous. I can instantly see myself enjoying every episode in s3, even the shitty ones, just because of her. But I also saw that she's replaced in s4 with Catherine Tate?! What the fuck! please tell me she's not as bad as she was in The Runaway Bride.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
cross-posted from the ill-advised LOST vs. BSG thread:

28950-BattlestarGalacticaL.jpg

this is probably something others have addressed, BUT:

i'm about five episodes + miniseries deep in BSG, and at least for my tastes, it's not nerdy enough. maybe i just like my sci-fi a bit harder and a bit more technobabblish than others, being raised watching several star trek shows and growing accustomed to their milieu, but when i watch BSG--cool as some of what i've seen thus far is--it seems very tailor-made to appeal to people who don't like sci-fi. it's action action ACTION ACTION. the fighter pilots have a very top gun-esque thing going on.

that's not to say i don't like the show so far. i do! just not as much as i enjoy more methodical science fiction television. ronald moore's other show, deep space nine, is one of my personal favorites.

Darko

gdt5016 said:
DBZ is pretty much the perfect "first time" anime/shonen. But its definitely not the best. When you finish DBZ (or now really) you should really check out One Piece. Its different, quirky, funny, hell-it plain wierd coming from something like DBZ. But its also the most epic anime ever. The Strawhats are a very compelling group, the fights are all different (not just basic hand-to-hand energy ball saiyan fests) and there is very, very little filler (and sometimes the filler is pretty damn good). Plus its just a very interesting world.

Some people take awhile to get used to the artstyle (it did for me) and the show doesn't get super awesome till like episode 15ish (right around the Floating Restaurant/Arlong Park), and even then some people cant get over the general silliness, but if you do, there isnt a more epic shonen. Bad-ass fights, GREAT characters,and its funny as hell.

Seriously. Check it out.

Thanks, Ill definatley check it out.

Blader5489 said:
But I also saw that she's replaced in s4 with Catherine Tate?! What the fuck! please tell me she's not as bad as she was in The Runaway Bride.
:lol She's definitely not as bad as in The Runaway Bride. Thank god. She actually ended up becoming my favourite companion and i, and many, MANY others, had the exact same reaction as you.

Memles

beelzebozo said:
i'm about five episodes + miniseries deep in BSG, and at least for my tastes, it's not nerdy enough. maybe i just like my sci-fi a bit harder and a bit more technobabblish than others, being raised watching several star trek shows and growing accustomed to their milieu, but when i watch BSG--cool as some of what i've seen thus far is--it seems very tailor-made to appeal to people who don't like sci-fi. it's action action ACTION ACTION. the fighter pilots have a very top gun-esque thing going on.

that's not to say i don't like the show so far. i do! just not as much as i enjoy more methodical science fiction television. ronald moore's other show, deep space nine, is one of my personal favorites.

Season One is a bit of an anomaly - the show does often return to what you refer to as Top Gun-esque storylines in time, but by the time you reach the end of Season 1, and especially moving into the main arc of the first half of Season 2, there's a lot more complexity that comes into play. The further you get into the show, the stronger it emerges.

That being said, the more human-driven side of things is one of my favourite things about the show.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
thanks memles. i'm tearing through my newly acquired season 1 dvd now that i'm done with DEADWOOD. trying to figure out what's on deck after this, as it'll probably only last me through the end of the week, if that.

beelzebozo said:
trying to figure out what's on deck after this, as it'll probably only last me through the end of the week, if that.
Are you caught up on Chuck, Beelze? Also, the HBO heavyweights are worth a look if you're not caught up (Rome, Band of Brothers, Generation Kill, etc...) I could list a bunch of other misc stuff if you're interested - just depends on your preferences and what you've seen already.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
After finishing the first season of BSG, I'd like to share impressions.

I can see comparisons given they're both intellectual shows (in comparison to idol or whatever) but their contrasts are pretty strong as well. BSG seems to deal with moral conflicts and very obvious leadership issues. There are no lovable characters (well, I personally think Tom Zarek is a boss, even though I'm not supposed to), for 1, because they all make some pretty fucked up decisions, and 2, each character basically serves as an obvious function of the government. All their actions are catered to the position they have, true character development isn't the first priority. There's nothing too much wrong with that, it proves for some exciting showdowns and the show has been really great so far, but that's a distinct difference.

Lost, for the most part atleast (outside of some weak spots in S2 & S3) created these characters and let them 'run free' in this world. They face many philosophical conflicts, they have to question reality, second guess themselves more often. Anything that has characters questioning their own reality = ultimate win in my book, and while BSG has the Cylon thing going for it, that's about it. Lost pounds it to the ground in that category, but that's just my opinion.

I also am not a huge fan of BSG's cinematography, specifically the handicam work. It makes the show a little less epic and more amateurish. Lost is far better in that category. Lost also has an advantage of better scenery (although I won't knock BSG for that).

The shows are mildly comparable but not all that much.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
beelzebozo said:
cross-posted from the ill-advised LOST vs. BSG thread:

28950-BattlestarGalacticaL.jpg

this is probably something others have addressed, BUT:

it doesn't fit well within its pigeon-hole. Its drama set in space, yet its labled 'sci-fi' - with all the connotations that brings.

I love my sci-fi, but BSG is just good drama.

Kastro said:
Thinking of blind-buying Breaking Bad next Tuesday. Thoughts?
I thought it was awesome. Excellent show with quality drama, some action, and a dark sense of humor. Keep in mind that the first season is only 7 episodes, so don't spend too much on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom