• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flipyap

Where was this shot?
I believe it's 801 North Brand Boulevard, Glendale, CA.

IAFmTWh.png
QNaUqUl.png
KFQCVwp.jpg

PolishQ

I noticed in the credits that Becky (Shelly's daughter) and Steven have the same last name, Burnett. So I guess they're married! I thought I remembered Shelly saying in part 2 that they were dating, but I went back and listened to her dialogue and she says "My daughter's with the wrong guy". So it seems to be another Shelly/Leo young crappy marriage situation.

I'd have to say though that Steven reminds me of the young Bobby Briggs (but more drugged out), and Richard Horne reminds me of Leo (but even more horrible).

FWIW, that statue isn't there in the Google street view shots, so I'm sure it's something the film crew brought in. So who knows. There could well be some deep significance to this statue. For a prop statue it looks great.

That dude is a Horne then? God damn I can't believe Audrey would spawn such a devil.

Hes like Frank Booth 2.0, lynch did a great job finding a dead ringer for what looks like Dennis Hopper's son

That dude is a Horne then? God damn I can't believe Audrey would spawn such a devil.

Hes like Frank Booth 2.0, lynch did a great job finding a dead ringer for what looks like Dennis Hopper's son

Well, if he's a Horne there's good reason to suspect he isn't Audrey's... (presumably he'd have a different last name!)

But also, I really hope that Audrey didn't end up a single mum shortly after surviving the bank explosion, because judging from the guy's age and calling the girls sat near him babies that he's got to be close to 25.

I'm not saying it's not, I'm just saying I hope it's not. That's be a really tragic story for Audrey. Presumably scarred from the explosion. Ends up a single mum of an awful fucking child.

On Becky Burnett, being married to Steven, that means we can't presume who her Dad is yet either.

He could be Ben's or Jerry's, too. Remember it was all but confirmed that Donna was actually Ben's daughter. I think Eamon Farren bares a solid resemblance to David Patrick Kelly (Jerry).

PolishQ

FWIW he could be Ben, Jerry, or Audrey's son. Heck, or Johnny's. Or Sylvia's!

Actually, if he's a bastard child that Ben had with some girl from One Eyed Jack's, that could go a little way towards explaining his demeanor. Either that or Audrey's gone to a very dark place.

Zoe

FWIW, that statue isn't there in the Google street view shots, so I'm sure it's something the film crew brought in. So who knows. There could well be some deep significance to this statue. For a prop statue it looks great.

It's been confirmed as a prop for the show.

Solo

Do folks expect we'll see more Leland than the one scene he was in? I assumed prior to this starting he'd be the BOB equivalent for this series but five episodes in I'm wondering if he'll be limited to that cameo and little else (which would be a shame, Ray Wise is a treat).

I feel pretty confident that Ray Wise will be back. Who knows....if BOB and DoppelCoop "separate" at some point, with no Frank Silva around, BOB may have use for the form of Leland Palmer again.

Sapiens

Dude if you saw someone acting like that you wouldn't think "oh he's hung over" you'd call a fucking ambulance. I can suspend my disbelief but the idea that his wife, strangers, friends, and co-workers all treat him as if he's just having a bit of an off-day is insane.

If it were Dougie, I'd just shrug and laugh.

Flipyap

Shelly desperately needs some friends who aren't all-the-way-terrible.
Seriously, 21st century Twin Peaks sounds like a fucking nightmare. I miss the quaint little town of Deer Meadow, where the crooked cops assaulted you with good bad puns and the most despicable villains would merely bend steel in your general direction.

I love that so far Dougie has learned the words "coffee", "agent" and "case files". The gun shape of his hand fascinates him. Maybe once he learns "Cherry pie", "cooper", "laura" or "Bob" he will finally wake up.

Nobody reacting naturally to Dougie's otherwise seriously concerning mental deficiencies is part of the humours absurdity surrounding his arc. Watching people talk themselves around his behaviour is surreal along the same note the original series hit with so much of its own larger than life characters and absurdity.

Though it's subverting so many expectations, Twin Peaks is uniquely defined by its outlandish melting pot of thematic devices that range from abstract slapstick comedy to horrifying violent crime drama. Its genre satire is one part tongue-in-cheek and another part totally earnest. It's so goofy yet enthralling and dumb yet horrifying and the cast is a weirdly satisfying combination of frustrating and enduring.

And I that's what I like most about the series so far. It's not Twin Peaks Season 3, but it's Twin peaks through and through.

I think most people just want old Twin Peaks, but running on a fancy new game engine. But I'm glad that's not what we're getting. That being said, it's not what we're not getting either. As much as Lynch/Frost have full creative control and can do whatever they want, fans be damned, I don't think they are spitting in the face of those who want old Twin Peaks either. We're getting doses of both new and old, just a heavier dose of new. I think they're giving people a fair amount of campy old Twin Peaks sprinkled throughout this season so far. This episode in particular really feels like the closest we've gotten to old Twin Peaks with a new coat of paint. As much of an auteur Lynch is and as much carte blanche he has to do his show his way, I think he's making an effort to cater to fans as well without compromising his vision.

I don't really get what people mean when they say "nothing is happening! There is no old Twin Peaks!" in reaction to episode 5.

EdmondD

Really enjoyed that episode. I loved the way they did Bob. Creepy as hell. They did him justice. One of my favorite moments was Amanda Seyfried getting high af. Felt like classic Lynch. Bob jr in the bar gave me FWWM vibes. Really unsettled me. As much as I love that movie it fucked me up for days. I think I will feel like that at the end of this. I'm wondering if there are lodge inhabitants and dopplegangers running around. That could explain the drugged out woman saying 911 backwards. Maybe some inhabitants escaped along with dopple coop and Bob.

I can understand people being frustrated with Dougie stuff but I'm still digging it. It has this bittersweet feel to it. It's amusing seeing his Rainman act but it's sad to see Coop in this state. It makes sense to me though because he astral traveled through dimensions and has been stuck in some metaphysical hellhole. He's seen shit beyond comprehension. If he recovered quickly from an insane experience like that it would feel cheap. I hope they don't keep trying to play it up for laughs because it's actually a pretty fucked up situation.

Today I'm going to take shrooms and rewatch all the episodes. Call for help. I may or may not be turned into a golden marble.

I think most people just want old Twin Peaks, but running on a fancy new game engine. But I'm glad that's not what we're getting. That being said, it's not what we're not getting either. As much as Lynch/Frost have full creative control and can do whatever they want, fans be damned, I don't think they are spitting in the face of those who want old Twin Peaks either. We're getting doses of both new and old, just a heavier dose of new. I think they're giving people a fair amount of campy old Twin Peaks sprinkled throughout this season so far. This episode in particular really feels like the closest we've gotten to old Twin Peaks with a new coat of paint. As much of an auteur Lynch is and as much carte blanche he has to do his show his way, I think he's making an effort to cater to fans as well without compromising his vision.

I don't really get what people mean when they say "nothing is happening! There is no old Twin Peaks!" in reaction to episode 5.

I don't think he's catering to anyone personally, I think him and Frost love these characters too, and never really got to finish their stories. It's a mix of classic peaks, Fire Walk With Me, and something completely fresh, all presented without studio interference or network TV restrictions.

PolishQ

There's a page for the other soundtrack on Amazon now, but not yet available for pre-order: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072QDVWLZ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

On Facebook they're saying it features "Solo Waltz," "Laura Palmer's Theme," "Dark Moon Woods," and "The Red Room". I'm guessing "Dark Moon Woods" is a typo and should be "Dark Mood Woods," which appeared in Part 2. So far these are all compositions from the original series. Is this going to be a 2-disc "greatest hits" of the original soundtrack? Hoping at least one disc is new stuff from Angelo.

Edit: Actually, "Solo Waltz" may be a new composition.

Solo

Personally I'm also loving the expanded scope (Vegas/Buckhorn/NYC/Buenos Aires) - I think eventually all roads will lead to Twin Peaks, but I'm loving how the world has grown.

Personally I'm also loving the expanded scope (Vegas/Buckhorn/NYC/Buenos Aires) - I think eventually all roads will lead to Twin Peaks, but I'm loving how the world has grown.

Being from Argentina and living in Buenos Aires, I was surprised when I saw actual (stock?) footage of Buenos Aires. Compared to the "Argentina" hotel in FWWM which looks like it was filmed in Mexico lol.

I gotta say, I love me some patient shows considering Better Call Saul and the original series of Twin Peaks are my favorite shows ever, but it's kinda losing me. Part of the reason I loved the original Twin Peaks is Coop's friendly and generally positive affable outlook on life in spite of all of the tragedy of Twin Peaks, and with him in senile mode the heart of the show is a bit lost in my opinion.

It's kinda losing me. I like all the parts separately but they aren't coming together much for me because it's constantly all set up with little to no pay off.

THAT'S where he's from. I was taking forever trying to place him.

I feel that a bit too but I also feel once we know the full story we can appreciate the journey too (hopefully lol).

moggio

Banned
This season so far is like 70% a test of patience. People falling over themselves to praise this, "Lynch is blowing my mind" - with WHAT? Making an extremely slow show that's a lot of plot setup with hardly any direction? Awesome, great. I'm sure it will all click into place at some point but the only amazing thing about this show so far is that people have convinced themselves that it's genuinely amazing up to this point.

You're unbelievably wrong.

I don't think he's catering to anyone personally, I think him and Frost love these characters too, and never really got to finish their stories. It's a mix of classic peaks, Fire Walk With Me, and something completely fresh, all presented without studio interference or network TV restrictions.

Yeah that's what I mean basically. They're not necessarily going out of their way to shoehorn things for the fans. But what Lunch/Frost want and love about Twin Peaks is partly in sync with what the fans want and love from Twin Peaks. With the way season 2 ended, they could have easily just said "everyone died on their way back to their home planet." But they aren't the snobby auteurs who find themselves above the fandom. They genuinely love Twin Peaks.

Me too. This episode were really seeing how everything is gonna converge. Loving that we're still seeing the detectives in Buckhorn. And now the military is getting involved.

zethren

Banned
Dude if you saw someone acting like that you wouldn't think "oh he's hung over" you'd call a fucking ambulance. I can suspend my disbelief but the idea that his wife, strangers, friends, and co-workers all treat him as if he's just having a bit of an off-day is insane.

This season so far is like 70% a test of patience. People falling over themselves to praise this, "Lynch is blowing my mind" - with WHAT? Making an extremely slow show that's a lot of plot setup with hardly any direction? Awesome, great. I'm sure it will all click into place at some point but the only amazing thing about this show so far is that people have convinced themselves that it's genuinely amazing up to this point.

I mean, I couldn't disagree more.

The fact that everyone is treating him in this way, even his family, reflects even further the strange and surreal nature of this world. It's all very much intentional, and done quite well. It is slow, but it's slow by design.

The fact that we have a piece of media like this, that is willing to not only take time to bring its characters back around to us after 25 years, but also lengthen that process in an artistic and intriguing way, is a damn miracle of the medium in my opinion.

I don't fault you for not enjoying it, of course. But it is actually very, VERY good.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Huh... Interesting small thing. The Cigarette Pack is of a fictional brand named Morley: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morley_(cigarette)

But this seems to be a reference to X-Files specifically as the brand appeared and played a similar role to what it does in this scene as a scene in the X-Files.

How peculiar. That and the earlier scene with David Duchovny saying how nice it feels to just say the whole phrase, "Federal Bureau of Investigation" like his character Mulder does all the time on X-Files makes two references to it in this season so far.

Blader

Hmm these replies are so tasty. How dare anyone have criticisms of David Lynch. Top stuff guys.

"the only amazing thing about this show so far is that people have convinced themselves that it's genuinely amazing up to this point" is not a criticism of David Lynch.

A lot of people like this season, you don't. It's not a big deal. You don't need to act bent out of shape over it and accuse the many others enjoying the show of having some ulterior motive to this agenda, as if there's something you're being left out of. It is plainly not a normal show; that people are going to find it divisive and flat out not like it is totally normal.

Moff

absolutely fantastic, loved every minute, David Lynch cannot do filler, everything is valuable and precious on it's own, fantastic

I could easily tell my 15 year old self that it will take 20 years for another twin peaks season and it will be worth the wait

how do people know young mathew mcconaughey is richard horne? from the credits?

Joqu

Hmm these replies are so tasty. How dare anyone have criticisms of David Lynch. Top stuff guys.

Ain't nothing tasty about it, you're free to dislike things but to say other people are convincing themselves into enjoying something here is a pretty disrespectful attitude to take. Maybe just recognize people are genuinely loving this and that you have a different opinion.

To what? A tv show. Fuck me for not gushing and having a different opinion.

Hostile to other people here. Come on.

absolutely fantastic, loved every minute, David Lynch cannot do filler, everything is valuable and precious on it's own, fantastic

I could easily tell my 15 year old self that it will take 20 years for another twin peaks season and it will be worth the wait

how do people know young mathew mcconaughey is richard horne? from the credits?

Yes. Also how we know Becky and Steven are married, and why we're so confused about all this Toad business.

Except you specifically targeted the people who are enjoying the TV show.

It's fine to have a different opinion, but when you start taking potshots at people, don't act indignant when people take shots back.

Exactly. I don't like Mad Men, but I don't accuse anyone who does of being deluded. People like different things. No one expects everyone to like what the new series of Twin Peaks is doing. It's different to the old show and anything else on TV right now, so opinions are going to vary.

But your inability to comprehend that people like different things, only speaks to your limited empathy, and says nothing of other people's opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom