• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, I missed the Toad business. Toad was never the cook, was he? Right.

Toad was a guy who regularly ate at the diner. Usually sat down near the kitchen. He's in multiple episodes of the original show.

The Secret History seemed to say that he was a school mate of Hank, Harry, et al, and had played with them on the football team. But then Part 5 credited the guy who plays the cook at the RR as Toad, and seemingly had Norma (or Shelly, I forget) address him thusly.

So what the heck? Are they both called Toad (joining the multiple Bills and Franks we've had this series)? If so which one played highschool football with the bookhouse boys?

Why did they suddenly call the cook Toad?

Flipyap

Yes. Also how we know Becky and Steven are married, and why we're so confused about all this Toad business.
Both Norma and Becky call him Toad in this episode. I really want to know what the hell they're trying to accomplish with this Tale Of Two Toads.
Is Toad a regular customer or a cook? Are they both Toads? Are they the same Toad? Was Cooking Toad fired when Laura died, started stress eating and gained triple his body weight in a day? Is TV Toad non-exist-ent? What the hell is going ooon?!

Plasma

Banned
The Dougie stuff is great I laughed a lot at the lift and conference room scenes, I think if it goes on for more than a couple more episodes though it will start to wear thin.

Both Norma and Becky call him Toad in this episode. I really want to know what the hell they're trying to accomplish with this Tale Of Two Toads.
Is Toad a regular customer or a cook? Are they both Toads? Are they the same Toad? Was Cooking Toad fired when Laura died, started stress eating and gained triple his body weight in a day? Is TV Toad non-exist-ent? What the hell is going ooon?!

I'm not sure if they were both in FWWM, but I think they were. Surely this is significant.

Moff

About that dougie business
so doppelgänger cooper manufactured him to trick cooper. but why so early? why let him have a family and a kid? this must have been a long time ago. and will cooper take care of janey-e and his son or is he going to abandon them like he left audrey?
will he ever come back or will doppelgänger cooper win? how did he know the telephone code to trigger the alarms in prison? from the dowloaded fbi files? why is there even a way to trigger an alarm via telephone?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Lovely episode as always. Never thought I'd wait a week to watch TWIN PEAKS, but life's just fucking weird.

Anyhoo, can someone tell me what music was playing during the end credits? It was a saxophone.

Solo

I doubt DoppelCoop cares about Janey-E. He just set up the hit on "Dougie" to make sure Cooper got killed as soon as he returned.

so doppelgänger cooper manufactured him to trick cooper. but why so early? why let him have a family and a kid? this must have been a long time ago. and will cooper take care of janey-e and his son or is he going to abandon them like he left audrey?
will he ever come back or will doppelgänger cooper win? how did he know the telephone code to trigger the alarms in prison? from the dowloaded fbi files? why is there even a way to trigger an alarm via telephone?

Kid could be a step kid. It's hard to say. I had the weird thought that for all we know, Mr C was posing as Dougie for a while before he created Dougie. Maybe even could have fathered Sonny-Jim. Perhaps trying to create another identity he could switch too if things got too heated. Sort of like what happens in the Stepfather movies, if anyone's seen those.

Lovely episode as always. Never thought I'd wait a week to watch TWIN PEAKS, but life's just fucking weird.

Anyhoo, can someone tell me what music was playing during the end credits? It was a saxophone.

Windswept by Johnny Jewel.

Blader

I don't think the doppelganger cares what Dougie does with his life. He only needs him to exist long enough for the lodge to take Dougie and not the doppelganger.

Joqu

Toad was a guy who regularly ate at the diner. Usually sat down near the kitchen. He's in multiple episodes of the original show.

The Secret History seemed to say that he was a school mate of Hank, Harry, et al, and had played with them on the football team. But then Part 5 credited the guy who plays the cook at the RR as Toad, and seemingly had Norma (or Shelly, I forget) address him thusly.

So what the heck? Are they both called Toad (joining the multiple Bills and Franks we've had this series)? If so which one played highschool football with the bookhouse boys?

Why did they suddenly call the cook Toad?

Riiight, I remember now. I was just happy to see the RR Cook again so I completely forgot how off him being called Toad is. That guy has never been Toad...

Well, this makes zero sense so I'll just pretend they're both called Toad for now, just like my Missing Pieces approach. It's err, a Twin Peaks duality sort of thing. A producer Toad and a consumer Toad. ;)

But hopefully it actually gets addressed and it isn't just a really bizarre decision. I sure as hell don't like it right now.

I don't think the doppelganger cares what Dougie does with his life. He only needs him to exist long enough for the lodge to take Dougie and not the doppelganger.

Maybe the more established Dougie is, the more convincing he'll be when the time comes for the switch to take place. Maybe it's part of creating a trap of sorts for Coop, to keep him stuck in the mud unable to figure out who he is. Certainly that family, and Dougie's career have kept Coop sidelined for a couple of days now.

Moff

I didn't mean to imply that doppelgänger cooper cares about dougies or janey-E, he obviously does not care about people at all. but I just thought it was odd he created him so long ago when he apparently exactly knew when he was supposed to get back to the lodge. seems risky. unless of course it really is not dougies kid, but it still would take some years for him and janey-E to move in together.
if I would try to trick the lodge like that and knew exactly when it happened I would manufacture my decoy days before that happens and keep him in a safe location to make yure everything works out.

Flipyap

I'm not sure if they were both in FWWM, but I think they were. Surely this is significant.
Cooking Toad only appears in The Missing Pieces, where the RR doesn't get any customers, so he's the only Toad there. If it weren't for all the archival clips, I'd start theorizing that we're in the "Fire Walk With Me continuity."
I guess the simplest answer would be that Twin Peak's gimmick of reusing names for multiple character extends to nicknames... but, man, would that make life terribly confusing for the RR staff.

DJ Gunner

Is the cook the same cook from the original series?

If he's not- it's not a stretch to assume Toad became the cook, I would think.

DJ Gunner

Did the giant say Sonny Jim as one of the hints in the first episode? Sonny Jim is the key to this whole mystery I feel.

I keep forgetting to comment on this. I'm convinced Sonny Jim is the giant, or at the very least one of the other benevolent spirits. He thumbs up cooper and seems to "know" him/whats going on in the same way the old man did. The blinking backwards just cements it for me.

Could someone clarify where the talk about a
crooked, drug-dealing cop
comes from? I seem to have missed that bit. (In the new series, not the one in FWWM.)

Could someone clarify where the talk about a
crooked, drug-dealing cop
comes from? I seem to have missed that bit. (In the new series, not the one in FWWM.)

The guy who took the cigarette carton in The Bang Bang bar is the cop who mocked the Log Lady. Took m a while to place him too.

His name is Chad, for those keeping score at home.

I liked him when he was just 'jesus these people are crazy', but it turns out people who saw a lot of Deputy Cliff in him, were *spot on*.

Moobabe

So having not been entirely sure on this season I have to say that was maybe the strongest episode so far.

Maybe it was because I watched all 4 other episodes in one go, but maybe also because I had time to think.

Is the slow Coop/Dougie stuff frustrating? Of course it is - but it is deliberately frustrating, deliberately annoying.

Knowing that that was the goal of it makes it more palatable to me.

Everything else was great though; the terrible, greasey, creepy ginger guy going out with Shelley's daughter is fantastically acted.

As is the guy in the bar at the end
I didn't check the credits - is it a name I might recognise from the original series?

Thanks for the cop clarification.

A fun little detail I noticed: Nadine was drinking from one of those protein-shaker bottles. Appropriate given her rather athletic history.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
show continues to be disappointing. everything with cooper was awful, and that was most of the episode. but the worst thing is that other than some nice scenes, like seyfried in the car, the show is just ugly to look at. dreary and dull.

3rdman

Dude if you saw someone acting like that you wouldn't think "oh he's hung over" you'd call a fucking ambulance. I can suspend my disbelief but the idea that his wife, strangers, friends, and co-workers all treat him as if he's just having a bit of an off-day is insane.

This season so far is like 70% a test of patience. People falling over themselves to praise this, "Lynch is blowing my mind" - with WHAT? Making an extremely slow show that's a lot of plot setup with hardly any direction? Awesome, great. I'm sure it will all click into place at some point but the only amazing thing about this show so far is that people have convinced themselves that it's genuinely amazing up to this point.

As a person who actually studied film and film theory and somehow managed to get a degree for it, I humbly suggest that you have no idea what you are talking about.

You are wrongly holding onto details of the plot as if it matters...you think its weird that Coop is being ignored? Have you considered that perhaps Lynch is trying to tell you something about Dougie and his relationship with his wife and his so-called friends? Perhaps we are seeing something from a particular point of view? Perhaps its a dream?

None of things means anything to me yet but it doesn't really matter because with Lynch, it's NEVER about the destination but about the journey. In modern times, where binge-watching is a thing, the desire to get to to next plot point is of utmost importance so a show like Twin Peaks can seem to drag and I get it. It does takes a bit of "reprogramming" to get used to his style but (and I can't stress this enough) it's sooooo worth it. Every scene is dripping in double meanings...the color of clothing, the random stuff in the background (did you notice the red balloon in the house with the junkie mother?). For newcomers, this may come off as pretentious but I would suggest that they are simply unaccustomed to seeing actual, honest-to-God originality.

If you are interested in sticking through the journey, I suggest that you absorb it and not try to make sense of it. That will happen in time...enjoy the trip. The random plot moments will resolve themselves in time...in the meantime, try not to set your expectations as the goal to be achieved and you will be much happier

Note: I rambled above...sorry! I'm at work and I kept coming back to this post to write some more and I think it may be a bit disconnected. I just really love Lynch and this show has (for me) been an absolutely amazing and I just want others to share in it. Take care!

show continues to be disappointing. everything with cooper was awful, and that was most of the episode. but the worst thing is that other than some nice scenes, like seyfried in the car, the show is just ugly to look at. dreary and dull.

18953079_101140123242iwb95.jpg

Pffff.

Solo

Yeah Dougie sounds like a hot mess so Cooper's behavior, while perhaps further down the line than when Dougie is acting out, isn't entirely surprising to those around him.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah Dougie sounds like a hot mess so Cooper's behavior, while perhaps further down the line than when Dougie is acting out, isn't entirely surprising to those around him.

My favorite moment had to be when he called out the liar and everyone started to freak the fuck out.

Babby Coop's antics are great, but man, Dougie was a fucking scumbag.

I wonder if there's more to him vomiting up garmonbozia than just being manufactured by a doppleganger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom