• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay... well that was certainly something.

Legit one of the most unsettling hours of TV I've ever seen.

Not getting any sleep tonight (already 3am here).

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I feel for the fans that expected a true continuation of the original. And doubly so for those who aren't a fan of or not familiar with Lynch's work outside of TP. This must truly be the opposite of what they wanted.

traveler

Not Wario
Alright where the write ups explaining this cause this was a beautiful mindfuck I know I don't fully comprehend.

We've seen in previous episodes that denizens of the lodges enter and exit the world through various changes in energy. In 1945, as the first atom bomb ever was successfully detonated, Babylon, the Mother of All Abominations used the opportunity to birth Bob and a host of evils into our world. The White Lodge received an alert and the Giant, caretaker of the Lodge, also uses the breach into our world to send the soul of Laura Palmer into the world to stand against Bob and the evils born into the world. 10 years later, Bob hatches in the desert and possesses his first victim.

So like I said, pretty sure they shot The White Lodge at Grand Prospect Hall in Brooklyn.

They are renowned for their cheesy ass commercials where the tag line is, not fucking kidding:

WE MAKE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I feel for the fans that expected a true continuation of the original. And doubly so for those who aren't a fan of or not familiar with Lynch's work outside of TP. This must truly be the opposite of what they wanted.

To be fair this is a true continuation of the original, it is continuing the story and its paying respects to the continuity and world it's built up.

But it's also unfiltered Lynch, that much is certain.

Joqu

I like how early the NIN performance started. Basically just saying ''hey, that was the end of the regular Twin Peaks episode, folks. Time for some nightmares".

GREAT TEAMWORK ON THE LAST EPISODE MARK

DO YOU MIND GETTING ME A CUP OF COFFEE THANKS

*locks editing room door from the inside*

Haha.

...Though I gotta say, ''explaining'' the origin of BOB is way more of a Mark Frost thing than a David Lynch thing. It's all in the presentation.

:/

I miss Twin Peaks. This was the first episode my girlfriend and I felt burned by. We've been patient and forgiving and kept an open mind. I imagine this will be the episode a lot of people give up on.

EDIT: Not us. But man. This is not the show we ever wanted. And even viewing it as its own thing is hard right now.

We've seen in previous episodes that denizens of the lodges enter and exit the world through various changes in energy. In 1945, as the first atom bomb ever was successfully detonated, Babylon, the Mother of All Abominations used the opportunity to birth Bob and a host of evils into our world. The White Lodge received an alert and the Giant, caretaker of the Lodge, also uses the breach into our world to send the soul of Laura Palmer into the world to stand against Bob and the evils born into the world. 10 years later, Bob hatches in the desert and possesses his first victim.

Yup, great summary and well put.

WOW BOB WOW.

Don't even know how to process that. So much there ponder.

I loved it.

I recognized it was Penderecki, but my wife recognized the song.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Also after this episode, Soot Hobo is still the most disturbing thing I think Twin Peaks has ever produced.

Though that Spider-Moth-Owl-Frog is doing its best to give a run for Soot Hobo's money.

DJ Gunner

You guys, I'm so happy right now.

So happy, I almost feel bad for the folks for whom last week's part meant that "Twin Peaks is back." If that's what Twin Peaks was, I'm glad it stayed cancelled, because this new thing is so much more valuable, moving, beautiful... just... So. Good.

Anywhoo... anybody gotta light?

You do realize that without the original series, you wouldn't be watching this right now?

There's a reason Twin Peaks garnered a huge cult following for over 25 years. There's a reason fans begged him to return.

As one of those fans, I'm pretty disappointed so far. I can appreciate this for what it is, but a continuation of "Twin Peaks" it is not.

Where the Babylon stuff coming from, Secret History? Cause aside from that, every bit of that made sense for me.

BlueTsunami

To be fair this is a true continuation of the original, it is continuing the story and its paying respects to the continuity and world it's built up.

But it's also unfiltered Lynch, that much is certain.

Very true. I guess I mean in sense of tone, and easy enough narrative. I just have this image of Cherry Pie whimsy Twin Peak parties, one crazy superfan dressed as Super Nadine, being greeted with an episode like this.

200.gif

I'll take your word for it.

I guess the woodman speaking over the radio was to make everyone listening to it collapse/fall asleep so the nearby Bob-frog could use it as a host?

Quite clever really.

traveler

Not Wario
I think that commercialsihate site may just be generating content based on quantity of searches. Not actually sure that text was ever there beforehand.

BlueTsunami

People on Reddit reporting if you google the phrase it's on "commercialsihate.com" which is down right now:

https://www.google.com/search?q=the...=UTF-8#q="the+horse+is+the+white+of+the+eyes"

But if you use Google Cache you can see it's all the way at the bottom:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ink_topic24473.html+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

No idea what this means, just makes it even creepier.

Yeah, seeing that phrase etched out on some random forum with a few links is pretty damn creepy

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I'm really curious to hear how Idle Thumbs Twin Peaks Rewatch recap that....

And now a week break. Nooooooooooo.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
That was an incredibly mesmerizing hour of television.

The whole A-Bomb sequence was insane and very 2001-esque.

I feel like i'll appreciate this episode more after I see the whole series. As a Lynch fan it was neat, as a TP fan I feel like we are running out of time lol. I cant imagine fans of just the original show liked this episode much at all.

Joqu

People on Reddit reporting if you google the phrase it's on "commercialsihate.com" which is down right now:

https://www.google.com/search?q=the...=UTF-8#q="the+horse+is+the+white+of+the+eyes"

But if you use Google Cache you can see it's all the way at the bottom:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ink_topic24473.html+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

No idea what this means, just makes it even creepier.

Edit: Sorry missed your post ANuclearError.

Oh hell yes, that's my jam

Looks up now by the way. Hmmm......

edit: never mind, down now? hmmmmmmmm......

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Bloated, time-wasting director wank. A Nine Inch Nails fucking music video inserted into it. That alone deserves an apology. What an insulting waste of fan's time.

bunbun777

So of course you all remember the poster of the bomb going off in Lynch's office.

But Bob is supposed to be very old, as old as man. So maybe the bomb is when he was birthed into the physical realm? Those things that were coming out of faceless creepy's mouth looked like seeds or eggs? But embryo Bob was in addition so I'm not sure he was the hatchling but maybe that was his host to take him to the girl?

David Lynch and Mark Frost created Twin Peaks. They understand it better than anyone. This is a continuation of Twin Peaks because they are saying it is.

Just because it's not what you wanted doesn't it isn't Twin Peaks. You don't have ownership of how it's presented to you.

Criticize it all you want, but you have no right to take it away from the creator.

Smidget

I feel like i'll appreciate this episode more after I see the whole series. As a Lynch fan it was neat, as a TP fan I feel like we are running out of time lol. I cant imagine fans of just the original show liked this episode much at all.

Yeah... that's was my wife and I's biggest take away: We only have finite time in the universe and we don't need to see someone sweeping for 3 minutes or watch NIN for 4 minutes or see the atom bomb visuals for 10-15 min. But we will take what we get.

traveler

Not Wario
I like the idea that the Roadhouse performance was the signpost for the end of a normal episode haha. I'm pretty sure that was the intent too, now that you guys mention it.

See the Google Cache page though... :x

How is that possible? Someone with early access to the script decided to throw up some pages? Well, now I'm confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom