• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slime

Banned
So when the Giant was talking about "it" being in "our house now," he must have been talking about something breaching his Eraserhead space palace.

Episode 8 was basically this

tumblr_mlgg0xlzkv1r2du9bo1_500.gif

Chumley

Banned
I guess I just meant like... the existence of them, why we keep seeing them in random places. I can't explain who or what they are, or the motive just yet.

It doesn't make sense. They should have appeared and did something to Leland when he died if they're directly tied to BOB.

superfly

Mind blowing stuff. Don't think I can judge it in either a positive or negative light but it was something. I watched it at 5am and up until Mr. Cooper was shot I was thinking we'd get plot development at a pace of the last episode. What happened next....

Mind blowing stuff. Don't think I can judge it in either a positive or negative light but it was something. I watched it at 5am and up until Mr. Cooper was shot I was thinking we'd get plot development at a pace of the last episode. What happened next....

I respect you as a poster on a message board and I will take your screen name into account during potential critical conversation.

Episode 8 was basically this

tumblr_mlgg0xlzkv1r2du9bo1_500.gif

yeah that explosion up until the 50s horror movie portion were basically a Lynchian take on that whole 2001 sequence.

I can see why people would find this frustrating, but this dude just gave me some amazing visuals that I'm gonna be revisiting a lot in my life. That shit was dope.

The music during the scenes with that Giant and the woman was beautiful as well.

Was really dope to see Nine Inch Nails in here, made me happy to see them so soon. And man he totally trolled us with shooting evil coop and bringing those creepy soot men out to look like there was a significant sense of finality happening there. I love evil coop a lot but I was pretty excited thinking that we were witnessing his death and Dale Cooper is back now, but nope haha.

this two week wait will be torture.

Chumley

Banned
yeah that explosion up until the 50s horror movie portion were basically a Lynchian take on that whole 2001 sequence.

I can see why people would find this frustrating, but this dude just gave me some amazing visuals that I'm gonna be revisiting a lot in my life. That shit was dope.

The music during the scenes with that Giant and the woman was beautiful as well.

Was really dope to see Nine Inch Nails in here, made me happy to see them so soon. And man he totally trolled us with shooting evil coop and bringing those creepy soot men out to look like there was a significant sense of finality happening there. I love evil coop a lot but I was pretty excited thinking that we were witnessing his death and Dale Cooper is back now, but nope haha.

this two week wait will be torture.

I'm going to be annoyed if Evil Coop is totally unchanged. If he's literally unkillable the only option is to somehow get him to that spot at the end of S2 where Coop entered the Black Lodge.

gforguava

Just finished this.

Oh my, this was easily the most ostentatious thing ever put on the little screen and I adored every second of it. I loved how it gave context or at least the feeling of context to some of the mystical/esoteric side of the show without actually demystifying any of it. And we had a Nine Inch Nails music video in there just because.

And Joy Nash's character was named Senorita Dido which is just...why is she named but not The Giant?

Through the darkness of futures past
The magician longs to see
One chants out between two worlds
Fire walk with me

This is the water, and this is the well
Drink full and ascend
The horses is the white of the eyes
And dark within

Chumley

Banned
Got a light? Got a light? Got a light? Got a light?

Oh, I just crushed your head. I guess I'll never know if you had a light.

I'm going to be annoyed if Evil Coop is totally unchanged. If he's literally unkillable the only option is to somehow get him to that spot at the end of S2 where Coop entered the Black Lodge.

yeah I hope something happened there, it looked like Bob left him as well. And all those creepy hobos, something had to have changed there. Unless that scary ritual was basically reviving him and putting him back into the fight :(

although I am anxious for more Dougie and his family, or the denizens of the Twin Peaks I think it was pretty cool that we got such an ambitious short film out of Lynch for this one. the visuals in that whole creation of evil sequence were beautiful, and then subsequently that twilight zone episode from hell was also tight.

Slaythe

This episode man, it's funny to see they basically blew ALL their budget into it.

There were a lot of scenes (mostly the composited shots) that were really costly. And on top of that you had a very convincing CGI insect horror /monsters for TV.

That explains why the other episodes were so awful on that front.

I wasn't sure where this was going, a bit perplexed by the whole birthing thing until I made sense of it, but the horror switch in the 50s was brilliant and extremely unsettling.

That's a nice way to end before the break.

But fuck man, Cooper. =( This is looking more and more like he'll just return in the last episode at this rate.

Got a light? Got a light? Got a light? Got a light?

Oh, I just crushed your head. I guess I'll never know if you had a light.

He was reading her mind.

dzoZ.png

They had a dragon ball in this episode after all.

She had no light. So he crushed her.

This episode man, it's funny to see they basically blew ALL their budget into it.

There were a lot of scenes (mostly the composited shots) that were really costly. And on top of that you had a very convincing CGI insect horror /monsters for TV.

That explains why the other episodes were so awful on that front.

I wasn't sure where this was going, a bit perplexed by the whole birthing thing until I made sense of it, but the horror switch in the 50s was brilliant and extremely unsettling.

That's a nice way to end before the break.

But fuck man, Cooper. =( This is looking more and more like he'll just return in the last episode at this rate.
Blew the whole budget? The guy put his hand on people's heads and then some sound effects got edited in while the camera shook and then all of a sudden OMG BLOOD. So fucking awful, like something I would've thought up with my VHS camera as a kid. Same with the composited shots after Bob Cooper was shot.

Blew the whole budget? The guy put his hand on people's heads and then some sound effects got edited in while the camera shook and then all of a sudden OMG BLOOD. So fucking awful, like something I would've thought up with my VHS camera as a kid. Same with the composited shots after Bob Cooper was shot.

I wonder if they just knew they didn't have the money to make it look good so they decided to make it look as ridiculous as possible instead. Or if that was just actually the best they could do and they were legitimately trying.

Because it's not like low budget necessarily means it looks ridiculously bad. I've seen good work done with limited money.

I LOVED this episode. It was like lynch meets 2001, which is amazing for me. Also scary as fuck . I do realise that this type of episode can't be common within the show run due to the relative lack of the main plot, but having one every 5 episodes or whatever is perfect.

hamchan

While I loved it as a David Lynch fan and a fan of fucked up things in film in general, I can't blame anyone who was just a fan of Twin Peaks from thinking this was all total nonsense and deciding to never watch this show ever again.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
While I loved it as a David Lynch fan and a fan of fucked up things in film in general, I can't blame anyone who was just a fan of Twin Peaks from thinking this was all total nonsense and deciding never watching this show ever again.
I'm still not sure if this episode broke me or not. lol

With nuclear experiments being such a prominent part of the lore, I presume connections are to be drawn between Margaret, Tom and presumably Harry's illness and the radiation of the Black Lodge?

I wonder if the Woodsman will show up at Twin Peaks to read his poem over the radio.

Ten hours doesn't seem like enough time to tie this whole thing up.

While I loved it as a David Lynch fan and a fan of fucked up things in film in general, I can't blame anyone who was just a fan of Twin Peaks from thinking this was all total nonsense and deciding to never watch this show ever again.

I can see people who even really enjoyed this season so far being turned off to be honest. I loved it personally, but yeah. If people thought the new season was pretty far removed from the original series and FWWM this has gone even further, I think.

Flipyap

Whether or not it does this, I have no idea. I'm going to guess that not really at any point does this new season hit the same exact personality of the first two seasons, but again calling it "The Return" does kinda raise some flags. It kind of feels like Lynch is wanting to do his own thing, his way, but that will eventually build toward something of that familiarity.
It's worth to keep in mind that the co-creators don't refer to it by that title. Officially-officially, it's just "Twin Peaks."
Not that this title doesn't suggest that we'd be watching a show similar to Twin Peaks, but I don't know if it's worth to look for a deeper meaning behind a marketing tagline.

lol Lucas didn't explain what the Force was in Episode 1, just that the Midichlorians or whatever are used by the Jedi at that time period to "measure" how in tune with the Force someone was. It didn't really provide any legit explanation and I think that's where people got confused. Telling me about Midichlorian levels or whatever tells me personally nothing about the Force, and this is kind of a point of the prequels altogether because once the Jedi fall in part three, Qui-Gon as a Force spirit or whatever basically re-teaches Obi-Wan and Yoda more about the spiritual Force rather than relying on scientifics.

And while I liked this episode a lot and dig the info dump, I wouldn't really say that these things are even remotely comparable.
Hey, someone else gets it! Neat! Midichlorian apologist high-five!
It's kinda crazy how few people even bothered to understand such a simple bit of technobabble before reaching for their pitchforks.

And it still looked a million times better than when Sam and Tracy were killed by motion blur and Lynch squirting paint in their general direction. It was BY FAR the best-looking death scene of this show. Think about that.
The camera shake was also executed much better than when Laura got sucked out of the red room in stop motion.

ERotIC

Banned
While I think saying that this is the bestest and most importantly episode of TV EVAR is a bit much, there were some genuinely groundbreaking moments in this episode. That convenience store shot? I've never seen that technique used in such a way.

It's probably safe to say that Lynch chose this project at least partially as a way to go back to experimental film with the luxury of a relatively sizeable budget. Maintaining a semblance of the old seasons is probably all thanks to Frost at this point.

In case anyone is wondering:

She's Gone Away by NIN

You dig in places till your fingers bleed
Spread the infection, where you spill your seed
I can't remember what she came here for
I can't remember much of anything anymore
She's gone, she's gone, she's gone away
Away
Away
A little mouth opened up inside
Yeah, I was watching on the day she died
We keep licking while the skin turns black
Cut along the length, but you can't get the feeling back
Away
Away
Away
Away
(Are you still here?)

David Lynch is playing 4-D chess, y'all just cannot see it yet.

Does anyone think those hobos or whatever they are, are burned victims of the atomic blast?

To me it felt like Lynch shoe-horned one of his short films into show, wonder what he had to retcon to make it fit?

I do like the Super Soot Bros. though, all 47ish of them. I was wondering if the last one we saw came into contact with someone who asked him for a light, hence it's all he says, whereas the speech over the radio was the only thing "preprogrammed" into him?

David Lynch is playing 4-D chess, y'all just cannot see it yet.

Does anyone think those hobos or whatever they are, are burned victims of the atomic blast?

There was a theory going around that the Soot Hobos were coal miners who got caught in the blast.

Thinking about them now sends shivers down my spine. Can't imagine watching this ep at 3am!

Exodust

Banned

I kinda get it, and kinda don't.

Disappointed fans act like Twin Peaks was all coffee and cherry pie comfort show, when really it was all about how the wholesome middle americana veneer can hide true darkness. A theme Lynch loves to explore. The show comes back, 25 years later, after a dark as hell cliffhanger and people don't expect WTF craziness? From the guy who got increasingly insular over the years with his last major work being Inland Empire of all things back in 2006? Y'all set yourselves up for disappointment if so. Your first hint should have been Fire Walk With Me. I won't throw shade on more casual Twin Peaks fans, though. Those guys had no idea what was coming.

Two complaints I do get is wishing the show was more centered around Twin Peaks and hoping Coop snaps out of it already. The show itself is basically what I always wanted and what I didn't know I wanted, with those two things drawing some ire from me. This isn't a bad thing, considering what we've seen so far has been fantastic IMO. And hey, we got like 10 more hours left. Maybe part 9 is where we get our boy back.

The guy introducing "The" NIN looked a lot like Jimmy Scott (of Sycamore Trees in the Black Lodge fame) but apparently wasn't him because he died? A real-life DoppelJimmy?

I fucking loved that. Absolutely insane that that just aired on TV.

It doesn't make sense. They should have appeared and did something to Leland when he died if they're directly tied to BOB.
This isn't the typical way Bob leaves a host, he willingly left Leland (killing him in the process). This time he was murdered.

I wonder now if what we're left with is either pure doppelganger (Bob is gone) or pure Bob (doppelganger is dead).

David Lynch and Mark Frost created Twin Peaks. They understand it better than anyone. This is a continuation of Twin Peaks because they are saying it is.

Just because it's not what you wanted doesn't it isn't Twin Peaks. You don't have ownership of how it's presented to you.

Criticize it all you want, but you have no right to take it away from the creator.

This forever.

Kalor

Well, that was an episode. I enjoyed the whole thing, after the opening and the NIN scene I was wondering how long they were going to keep up the whole sort of off-beat, weird tone but I didn't expect it to last the whole episode. I wish there wasn't a break next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom