• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC Sera

welcome to Mr Lynch's wild ride
it never ends

(Im really enjoying the new series, but i only just watched all of twin peaks, so I understand that its a very different experience with nostalgia aspect)

Honestly I only hated one part of that episode: NIN

at least the song managed to carry on the dark tone of previous scene, which I suppose a lot of the other Roadhouse songs/bands wouldn't be able to do

This is a 36 hour movie and you have to look at the whole work which is less than halfway done.

At least look at the last 16 hours as a whole.

It's brilliant IMO.

PolishQ

welcome to Mr Lynch's wild ride
it never ends

(Im really enjoying the new series, but i only just watched all of twin peaks, so I understand that its a very different experience with nostalgia aspect)

Honestly I only hated one part of that episode: NIN

at least the song managed to carry on the dark tone of previous scene, which I suppose a lot of the other Roadhouse songs/bands wouldn't be able to do
Trent's laughing in the chorus reminded me of that Real Indication song from FWWM. "Heh HAAH, heh HAAH"

this is such a great season and i love it but i totally get how you could hate it if you loved twin peaks for the characters and setting. it's definitely not more of that (for now at least)

but yeah, this is amazing and i've loved this season. the king has returned

EdmondD

Not a lot of NIN fans on gaf huh? lol As a fan it was cool to see them in the world of Twin Peaks. They could have played a better song though.

diunxx

Jesus that was fucking hard to watch, another episode like this and I might have to abandon ship, this was way to fucking boring.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Also Lynch either is doing this whole thing intentionally or not where the show seems to have a lot of commentary on television and directly to the audience. After the most rxposition heavy and classic-styled episode, this episode seems to be continuing the trend, but the Mr. C gets shot and the line, "TRICKED YA, FUCKER.," is said before this episode begins to go off the deep end.

It's either intentional as fuck or this whole way you can read this season is just writing itself.

hydruxo

This is pretty much what I wss hoping for...Lynch doing what he wants in the Twin Peaks universe.

Jesus that was fucking hard to watch, another episode like this and I might have to abandon ship, this was way to fucking boring.

n5UL7.gif

I love all the differing opinions though for real haha. Great to see different sides of reactions each week.

Thinking about it, it's pretty disappointing and jarring how hand-holdy the faces of Laura and BOB were. You'd think that an episode marked by its boldness and lack of exposition would have let the imagery speak for itself.

Z..

Most other complaints I can understand and respect... But calling it boring is just outing yourself as impatient. Not boring in the slightest.

What if the boy at the end was Gordon Cole?

He certainly seems pretty connected to all of this, with images of nuclear explosions, and garmonbozia hanging in his office.

Thinking about it, it's pretty disappointing and jarring how hand-holdy the faces of Laura and BOB were. You'd think that an episode marked by its boldness and lack of exposition would have let the imagery speak for itself.
I didn't mind Bob but I have to admit when I saw the Laura pic pop up I was like ehhhhh

I guess it's also easier to accept "bad thing created mysterious bad thing" vs. "there's something similarly special about girl affected by bad thing, or something fucking I don't know"

Like holy shit, you know what?

This break is fine. I'm going to need at least this two weeks to unwind, talk, watch it again, talk some more, read theories and break downs and everything.

This is necessary. This is needed.

That's the part I didn't like about it namely the Laura part. Bob frog....it's fine....whatever.... he was an enigma in the OG series to begin with. But now Laura is retconned into Neo or Jesus or whatever is a bit eye rolling and feels like some weird fanfic shark jumping moment. Eh the more I think on it, the more disappointed I get, time to sleep.

It's too early I think to try and criticize just exactly what's up with all of that. This episode certainly told us things, but it's still on the ambiguity end of the spectrum. The show/story is weird and out there enough to where none of this personally bothers me, and it feels almost somewhat lethargic to see the existence of Bob and Laura stretch out beyond rational understanding.

During season 2 when you had Briggs and the story getting into space/extraterrestrial talk, dimensions and all of that... I dunno, I feel like this season is actually pulling through with all of that and re-contextualizing things.

EdmondD

Yeah, I also found that jarring. I did like Bob doing his classic evil face though. I really miss Frank Silva. It worked when he came out of Doop but not so much when he was birthed by Mother.

Linkin112

The thing I want to know is if Laura's soul was created or whatever the fuck happened there in 1945, why wasn't she born until 1971 (or 1972)?

So, was that place early in the season with good Cooper and the Asian lady the White Lodge? Was this new place in this episode the White Lodge? It was... different.

Like, up on a mountain rising up from the ocean with phallic exterior architecture and that sort of 50's Bioshock atmosphere.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think some people are taking what they think happened as fact and what they're thinking is very literal.

I would argue there's multiple ways to read into multiple faucets of this episode.

The thing I want to know is if Laura's soul was created or whatever the fuck happened there in 1945, why wasn't she born until 1972?

Because Cooper became a jar of applesauce which then farted into 1971. And Sarah palmer smelled the cosmic applesauce fart which then triggered the Laura space orb in the 4th dimension, to teleport into her uterus. And then the giant did a backwards roll up the stairs and said "impregnated lettuce pudding", we then jump cut to a 2015 Audrey Horne filling her nails for 7 minutes (never to be seen again). Ending with a road house scene of nickelback.

JC Sera

Saw a theory that the Giant isn't a white/black lodge entity, but an entity of balance, who creates laura palmer as bait to draw BOB out, rather than a saviour figure

Plasmid

I loved it. Even though I still don't understand most of what happened, I can't wait for July 9th.

Thoughts:

Atom bomb allows for transcendence into our plane? Black mother births Bob who turns into cockroach thing?

Laura is more of an inhabiting spirit of good than a teenage girl. Could she be recycling with her departure of the Red Room?

Atom men / smoky guys came with the bomb, and are companions to BOB if we infer that Mr C is back to normal after his blood smearing party.

Is ray Chet Desmond? He's in talks with Phillip Jeffries?

Did we see the white lodge? If so, is this the same place in the beginning of S03 where he says he's in the house?

Are giant and Laura related or is Giant just a creator of spirits?

Z..

The thing I want to know is if Laura's soul was created or whatever the fuck happened there in 1945, why wasn't she born until 1971 (or 1972)?

That was probably Sarah's birth. Laura was already inside her, women are born with their lifetime supply of eggs already there ready to go.
Also, Sarah was born in 1945.

Vic_Viper

Knew Trent Reznor was going to appear in this season but I guess I was hoping it wouldnt just be a musical performance lol. After the first few episodes though I kinda assumed it would be.

Linkin112

That was probably Sarah's birth. Laura was already inside her, women are born with their lifetime supply of eggs already there ready to go.
Also, Sarah was born in 1945.
Yeah, I guess that makes more sense. Just adding Laura's egg to someone who was just being born.

ghostjoke

Banned
A Lynchian thing happens.
Nine Inch Nails interlude.
The Lynchian thing continues.
Nuke.
Twin Peaks version of 2001's Stargate
A bucketload of weird stuff bordering from compelling to all out assault on the senses.

Lynch/Forest must be loving being able to do whatever they want. The development on how this was given the greenlight is probably as interesting as the show.

I can't believe anyone who isn't enjoying this is still hanging on. How much further down this rabbit hole do they have to go before you realise you're not getting what you want. About the only thing that's for sure is that, even if they're not actively trying, Lynch/Frost don't give a damn about the past 25 years of speculation.

Most other complaints I can understand and respect... But calling it boring is just outing yourself as impatient. Not boring in the slightest.

The pacing can certainly be boring. 5 minutes of a band performing on a stage, two minutes of an atom bomb....exploding, 5 minutes of fiery explosion acid trip, 2 minutes watching an egg hatch, 5 minutes of watching the giant barely move around a room. A few minutes spent traversing a purple ocean all the way up to a structure.

Slow pacing can make even the most interesting scene boring.

hydruxo

A Lynchian thing happens.
Nine Inch Nails interlude.
The Lynchian thing continues.
Nuke.
Twin Peaks version of 2001's Stargate
A bucketload of weird stuff bordering from compelling to all out assault on the senses.

Lynch/Forest must be loving being able to do whatever they want. The development on how this was given the greenlight is probably as interesting as the show.

I can't believe anyone who isn't enjoying this is still hanging on. How much further down this rabbit hole do they have to go before you realise you're not getting what you want. About the only thing that's for sure is that, even if they're not actively trying, Lynch/Frost don't give a damn about the past 25 years of speculation.

Drink full and descend my dudes

I'm just enjoying the ride

The pacing can certainly be boring. 5 minutes of a band performing on a stage, two minutes of an atom bomb....exploding, 5 minutes of fiery explosion acid trip, 2 minutes watching an egg hatch, 5 minutes of watching the giant barely move around a room. A few minutes spent traversing a purple ocean all the way up to a structure.

It's just what you make it out to be. During all of that I was thinking about what it all meant, the symbolism, taking it in and tying it into the story as we know so far. The band performance-- I can see that, but for me it was kinda atmospheric and mood setting.

Joqu

I think some people are taking what they think happened as fact and what they're thinking is very literal.

I would argue there's multiple ways to read into multiple faucets of this episode.

Yeah, I'm surprised people are taking things as literal as they are. Especially the Laura stuff.

This is exactly what killed this episode for me. I was streaming it on my PC and opened up a new window to browse GAF while it played because it was getting so drawn out. I'm enjoying S3 because there's nothing on TV quite like it but when it begins to feel like I'm watching a screen saver I start to lose my patience.

Kemal86

Not sure how I feel about Bob being changed to be a more literal 'parasite' that can be physically extracted and carried about...it sort of goes against the "inhabiting spirits" of the original. Still on bored and looking forward to see how it turns out.

HotHamBoy

but the Mr. C gets shot and the line, "TRICKED YA, FUCKER.," is said before this episode begins to go off the deep end.

It's either intentional as fuck or this whole way you can read this season is just writing itself.

Man, I feel that.

I loved this episode.

At this point I am feeding off the garmonbozia (pain and sorrow) of the angry people watching this and posting on here.

Z..

I guess this varies from person to person... and as someone who thinks Béla Tarr, Andrey Zvyagintsev and Nuri Bilge Ceylan are the greatest living filmmakers maybe I'm the wrong person to be having this discussion with. Slow pacing is the name of the game with all 3, for reference.

Jombie

You know how in Scrooged when Bill Murray shows his Scrooge commercial and they all walk out looking sick and terrified? That's how I imagine the Showtime execs after they saw this episode. Fucking hilarious.

You know how in Scrooged when Bill Murray shows his Scrooge commercial and they all walk out looking sick and terrified? That's how I imagine the Showtime execs after they saw this episode. Fucking hilarious.

And yet it's gonna pay off for all of them for giving Lynch and co. the amount of creative freedom that they have obviously been granted. Like I see nothing but pure commendation to everyone involved that this actually happened the way that it did. Because I'll tell you here and now that this is not fucking normal. It doesn't even make sense. I'm actually continually and utterly baffled at how this has played out so far.

HotHamBoy

So the black and white room is the white lodge, right?

According to Secret History the lodges existed for centuries, maybe always. Did the bomb create the Soot Boys or were they called by the bomb?

Flipyap

Not sure how I feel about Bob being changed to be a more literal 'parasite' that can be physically extracted and carried about...it sort of goes against the "inhabiting spirits" of the original. Still on bored and looking forward to see how it turns out.
Compared to turning pain and sorrow into creamed corn, a spirit organ that fades in and out of existence along with a gaggle of Ghosts of Blackface Past doesn't seem particularly physical and I don't know if I'd call either literal.

Chumley

Banned
That was the most nuts thing Lynch has ever put to film, silmutaneously beautiful and frustrating as hell.

A lot to dissect regarding the meaning behind a lot of it. The stuff with the giant and the Palmer orb seemed like literal meta commentary.

And the charcoal man stuff... I can't make any sense of it at all.

The more I think about it the more it just seemed like a dumber and more nonsensical version of Eraserhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom