• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved it, I was absolutely transfixed for that hour. Some of the most striking imagery ever in a television show and the emotional truth of the narrative was remarkably clear, seeing Laura's face in the orb was one of the most enlightening moments in recent memory.

Airola

It's kinda funny to think what Lynch said in an interview about the original series before this new season started. When asked about what Twin Peaks is to him, he said to him Twin Peaks is the original pilot. He then went on saying how he didn't like the second season and thought it was too silly.

So far this hasn't been anything like the pilot in any way and sometimes things have been just as silly or even sillier than the things in season 2.

I'm fully on board with the series and in fact I would take it even if all of the episodes were the guy sweeping the floor because for about 25 years I have been looking for anything that continues or adds to the series. But I would be lying if I'd say I wouldn't like some things to be different or if I would say it's currently a full masterpiece without any faults.

I liked today's episode. I'm not sure what to think about the insect thing or seeing a "screenshot" Bob flying in space and seeing "Laura Palmer orb" being sent on the Earth. But the only thing I would delete from the episode would be the Nine Inch Nails part. I have never liked the band and I got absolutely nothing from the 5'ish minutes it went on. In fact I think the only Roadhouse song I have liked in this season was the first one with Chromatics because the song just sounded good. The rest has been part of some ultimate hipster mixtape collection and I just can't get anything out of the songs.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
This is one of my criticisms.

The original mystique of the Black Lodge and its stewards was that it was local and unknowable. Harry tells Coop that there is something out there in the woods, and its the price they pay for all the good parts of living there, and that generations of men from the town have guarded its inhabitants from this frightening and corrupting force that leeches from the trees.

This distinct sense of location, that something haunts the surrounding woods of Twin Peaks specifically, was something I was really attached to. It was something built on local legend, influenced by the geography, and defined what made the town of Twin Peaks so mysterious and strange. It made it feel like something could be lurking in the caves, or the cabins, or the wildlife, or the trees of the landscape. Twin Peaks, as a town, was a haunted house.

The new episode removes the importance of Twin Peaks in favor of a dimension that exists independently from it. An ignition point for the whole story was a nuclear bomb test in New Mexico in 1945. This is pretty different from a strange and otherworldly presence specifically among the Douglas Firs. It used to feel like the town Twin Peaks was hiding something, now the whole thing is so much bigger than Twin Peaks that the town doesn't seem to really matter. It's a blip on the fabric of space-time.

And even if they come back and explain that Twin Peaks is some sort of grand portal or nexus, the damage is done. The Black Lodge and its lore used to be part of the town. It was something out there and in the woods. Now the town is part of the Lodge. Now there is a monstrous and faceless creator laying eggs in the desert in 1945. The energy is all over the world and unleashed at a specific point in time.

The previous confines of the lodges and the alternate dimension were much more intimate and claustrophobic. They were cracks in the town you could slip in and out of that had been both guarded and exploited by entities for an unknown span of time.

The new lore is still interesting. But it can be a tough pill to swallow. It can be defeating to have your closely-held understandings unwound. There is some merit to challenging preconceived notions, but you have to be willing to let it all go. I'm still working on that,

Consider that you sound somewhat like a country town resident who just found out there's a big old world out there....

Some: What was that? I have no idea what's going on.

Others: He practically spelled everything out.

It's funny to see some people saying that it spelled everything out and then go on to see the many varied interpretations of what exactly took place.

I loved it. I thought it raised a lot of questions, more than it answered, but it gave as a fresh glimpse of the metaphysical realm that has been haunting the Twin Peaks universe. Seems appropriate that it's completely abstract in nature, as always.

One thought...

Anyone saying parts 1 through 7 were Twin Peaks in name only definitely have to rethink that after part 8. Because they were much closer to the original series than part 8 was.

And to me it's all still Twin Peaks, but hopefully that will have recalibrated people a tad.

andymcc

Banned
It's kinda funny to think what Lynch said in an interview about the original series before this new season started. When asked about what Twin Peaks is to him, he said to him Twin Peaks is the original pilot. He then went on saying how he didn't like the second season and thought it was too silly.

So far this hasn't been anything like the pilot in any way and sometimes things have been just as silly or even sillier than the things in season 2.

I'm fully on board with the series and in fact I would take it even if all of the episodes were the guy sweeping the floor because for about 25 years I have been looking for anything that continues or adds to the series. But I would be lying if I'd say I wouldn't like some things to be different or if I would say it's currently a full masterpiece without any faults.

I liked today's episode. I'm not sure what to think about the insect thing or seeing a "screenshot" Bob flying in space and seeing "Laura Palmer orb" being sent on the Earth. But the only thing I would delete from the episode would be the Nine Inch Nails part. I have never liked the band and I got absolutely nothing from the 5'ish minutes it went on. In fact I think the only Roadhouse song I have liked in this season was the first one with Chromatics because the song just sounded good. The rest has been part of some ultimate hipster mixtape collection and I just can't get anything out of the songs.

I wouldn't call NIN ultimate hipster mixtape fodder as: 1) this isn't even the first time lynch has worked with them and 2) they're not really a hip band.

superfly

This episode made me think about the narrative device they've used in Fargo where an episode can detach from the main story to provide some deeper context to the overall story
the LA story in the latest season of Fargo for example

Solo

I can't believe they are on a break after that episode.....guess I'll have to watch the first 8 again in he interim to take the sting off no new Peaks for 13 days.

3rdman

Girlfriend, during Mother/nuclear blast sequence: "This is just a bunch of nonsense."
Me: "Twin Peaks is a bunch of nonsense. This is just awesome."

I watched the episode with my brother (very conservative), his wife, and my niece and although we all had varying opinions, that opening sequence with the explosion left us all in awe...it was so beautiful. I need some of those images now for my desktop...

PolishQ

I can't believe they are on a break after that episode.....guess I'll have to watch the first 8 again in he interim to take the sting off no new Peaks for 13 days.

My plan as well. But do I do 2 parts at a time, 4 at a time, or all 8 at once?

Zach

I checked on IMDB and can confirm it's Twin Peaks.

bretlol.gif

Think of Eraserhead, or Mulholland Drive, or Lost Highway, or Inland Empire, or hell even the original Twin Peaks series. In all of these there comes a point where we seem to get some explaining at what's going on before a curveball that comepletely changes things. I think this episode being in the first half of this season and not the second half (we're not half-way done with the season quite yet) is no coincidence. I also think no one would disagree that Lynch endings usually end up raising a LOT of questions and often adds further depth to things that came before. It's true of almost every single one of his movies and the original Twin Peaks. I think this season is going to have one hell of an ending.

Having just rewatched Lynch's career in anticipation of Twin Peaks S3, I actually thought his weirdness is overstated. In almost all of his work you can find the answers you need from the work itself. The most indecipherable stuff he's made are his shorts and Inland Empire, but mostly everything else is just off kilter visual storytelling that's intentionally dreamlike up to a point where you can piece it together. Twin Peaks having so much unexplained weirdness I chalk up to the original show being cut short. Cooper did too much digging in the original series for some of this stuff to be remain a mystery forever, Hawk told stories about the Lodges outright, and the military aspect was being hinted at for a while. Pins are being knocked down that were set up decades ago, and I don't think it's a mistake. Frost is involved as much as Lynch, and he continues to expand on the universe post-original show, post-FWWM. This isn't just weird mystery for the sake of weird mystery. Even the recurring horse motif that has popped up again this season, and in Episode 8, was being played with throughout the show's existence.

Goldmund

What the shit was that?

NiN was good but I really struggled to watch 45 minutes of abstract images.

For those of you that somehow understand what all that meant, how? Are you just watching it, knowing what the hell it was or are you reading some breakdown on reddit?

I'll keep watching I guess, but that was a slog.
You have to watch this show with dreamy movie eyes: scenes follow each other in the strictest sense: they're consequences of previous scenes; if scene B follows scene A, B had to happen after A (in the timeline of your watching the movie), even if their relation/elements (characters, place, mood, narrative style etc.) is sparse/incongruous, if you translated them to, say, a written synopsis.

The English term closest to this is "suspension of disbelief", but I like the German one better because it underlines the reciprocity: "Fiktionsvertrag" (literally "fiction contract").

In short: Try watching this episode again and mentally say "yes" after each scene change, "this is what happens next", don't try to make sense of every little thing. It's nice to have a map of a place, but the place is not (on) the map. Keep track of what is happening, don't entangle yourself in asking yourself why it is happening. The medium already answers the why by continuing with the next scene.

Not sure if this works for you, but that's how I learned to approach more surreal films with lots of symbolism. Even if there exists a "correct" course of events in Mark Frost's head: your interpretation, given the background information you can reasonably have (that is without perusing a wiki or having memorized every episode, Fire Walk With Me, the Missing Pieces and Frost's book), is absolutely valid.

You still might not find sitting through this episode enjoyable, but maybe you will enjoy having seen it.

nachum00

Honestly this "episode" made me wish I could watch the whole thing at once like it was intended. Because part 8 wasn't an episode of a tv show. It was a scene from an 18 hour movie.

Zach

Hey, I watched Wild at Heart for the first time yesterday (it was the only Lynch movie I hadn't seen). Was Nick Cage supposed to be hilarious? Like, was it meant to be a comedy at times? Because man, it was funny.

I'm-a read about it now that I'm at work. >_>

What the shit was that?

NiN was good but I really struggled to watch 45 minutes of abstract images.

Funny- it was the exact opposite for me. Loved seeing the insane imagery and getting some backstory on the White Lodge and Bob coming to earth, etc. Could have done without the NiN music video in the middle of the episode. Hell, people were complaining about product placement the last couple weeks, what the hell do you call that? They might as well have put a Vivo watermark up over it or the like.

Brushing that aside, though- I'm just loving this new Twin Peaks. What an absolutely crazy ride this is!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
You know, I'm going to word this since I think people are reading into things that aren't specifically proven true and taking it as fact.

I see some people really hating Laura's face in the orb, reading into it as some cosmic destiny, good vs evil thing. But that's not what I took it to mean at all, I mean think about it. Laura is sent to defeat BOB, she's some goodness to be the opposite to BOB? That's quite a theory, but what actually happened? Laura was just a normal teenager who was murdered by BOB. Laura isn't some cosmic hero destined to defeat BOB, she's been dead for 25 years and I think that whole scene meant something very different than what I think many took it as.

For starters, the realm this happens in isn't pure 'good', we already know that. Where have we seen this location before? Mother viciously banging on a door and a woman falling in space to her demise as Major Briggs' giant floating head flies by and then Cooper urged to get out because he's in danger here. This place is clearly not a place of all good, it's not heaven sending Jesus to save the people or something like some were thinking. Hell if we want an ample comparison, it most reminds me of the radiator in Eraserhead. A song about Heaven is sang there and there's beauty in it, but some of the most disturbing scenes in the whole movie take place inside as well as some of the most beautiful. But it's not a place of all good and the radiator itself isn't heaven.

But not only is Laura's role nothing like a messiah, she was never a force of pure good anyways, we already know that. There was beauty to Laura Palmer and goodness, but she was involved in a lot of shady shit and wasn't a straight-up good person nor as pure as many people thought she was. That's something this series has reiterated multiple times at this point, and more so was even further iterated in Lynch's own Fire Walk With Me.

I think the scene of the Giant making an orb with Laura's face in it had a completely different meaning than many are reading into it here. Hell if I was to take a swing at it, I'd guess it has something more to do with Laura's doppelganger in the Lodge than Laura herself, since the doppelganger is always saying about Laura, "”I feel like I know her but sometimes my arms bend back," and this is around the time that probably the Lodge and our world began to connect into each other (though that raises the question of why the tears to the Black Lodge are in Twin Peaks and not New Mexico if so). I think that makes more sense than some other theories, but I'm not even saying that's it.

And this is true to a lot of things I think people are taking at face value. I can break down more of my thoughts, but I feel some of y'all are jumping to conclusions too readily here.

cucuchu

I'm loving the direction the show has taken this season but I went into this season with a pretty open mind and accept/appreciate that it is very much its own thing while giving context to the events of the original two seasons and FWWM. It isn't for everyone obviously but there is one thing both the original seasons and the new season have in common: They stimulate a part of my imagination that no other TV show or movie has. That alone ensures that the new season is worth watching to me.

A couple of observations/questions though...

- I recall Mike stating (or maybe it was Cooper analyzing) that BOB was a 'familiar' of Mike's. Does this episode retcon that? This is going by the assumptions that the Babylon entity created BOB which very well seems to be the implication of this episode.

- I see people saying that the show ruined the mystery of the originals for them but for me it created even more mystery in the process. We still don't know what this Babylon entity is, where it came from, and of course what its intent is now after it escaped from the glass box in NY. It shows the atomic explosion so are we to assume that such a drastic expelling of energy is what brought about the entities? I could go on and on but I feel there is still a great bit of mystery left and I'm sure only a marginal amount of it will get answered by the end of the 18 episodes.

- "Where I come from, there is always music in the air", said by Laura Palmer. When we get to the lodge with the Giant before he produces the golden egg with Laura's face in it, we can hear music playing in the room. I appreciate all the added context to events of the original series.

It's funny seeing people criticize that part for 'over explaining' things, or saying the mystery is gone. It's just shifted, as was always the design.

We don't know what that glowy Laura Palmer ball was. We don't know what the bug was. We know that the mother of all abonimations birthed Bob, but we we have no idea what she is or where she came from. It's like finding out that life on Earth was created by Aliens. Well sure, mystery solved. But wait a second, where did the aliens come from?

Who is the woodsman and where did he come from? Who were those kids? Who is Senorita Dido?

The onion has infinite layers.

And it doesn't explain anything. Sure I think we're drawing similar conclusions to what was intended by the creators, but how much of what we're taking as given was actually explained to us?

We were given the pieces and we've put them together. But mixed in with the pieces we needed are new pieces that don't fit.

I think the scene of the Giant making an orb with Laura's face in it had a completely different meaning than many are reading into it.Hell if I was to take a swing at it, I'd guess it has something more to do with Laura's doppelganger in the Lodge than Laura herself, since the doppelganger is always saying about Laura, "”I feel like I know her but sometimes my arms bend back." I think that makes more sense than some other theories, but I'm not even saying that's it.

My take, for what it's worth, is that the gold ball is the "chosen one" that will bring BOB to an end (Laura's face is shown just help the viewers). It's not Laura in the bauble, but the bauble ends up being Laura and she will start the chain of events that leads to BOB's demise, by accident or design.

She's "chosen" but not in a messiah type way, more of a sacrifice type instead.

Oh, and the NIN music video was dumb. And I'm a fan.

Hey, I watched Wild at Heart for the first time yesterday (it was the only Lynch movie I hadn't seen). Was Nick Cage supposed to be hilarious? Like, was it meant to be a comedy at times? Because man, it was funny.

I'm-a read about it now that I'm at work. >_>

That's a thing Cage does. I love most of his performances that are like that.

It's amazing he doesn't work with Lynch more, because 'Is this supposed to be funny?' is a thing that a lot of Lynch work makes people feel.

I think this show would have gotten a lot more slack from "old fans" or the mass audience or whatever you want to call them if they had simply given it a different title and not promoted it as a straight up third season of Twin Peaks. It could still be a show that takes place in the same world, or even a direct follow up in a *wink wink* sort of way, but billing it as a new, original work from David Lynch would have changed expectations dramatically.

I took Laura's orb as one of many that represent the unfortunate lives that are engulfed in the continual power struggle between 'good' and 'evil' - as ill fitting as those monikers may be for the different lodges.

She was an imprint of tragedy, she had no chance in this world. Always going to be eaten.

[Snip]

And this is true to a lot of things I think people are taking at face value. I can break down more of my thoughts, but I feel some of y'all are jumping to conclusions too readily here.

Yea I think taking this Part as being the full story is presumptuous. Lynch constantly recontextualizes things. Consider that BOB was not the only egg being puked from the Mother/Experiment. Then Laura's orb is there to (maybe) combat a single entity. She is not a savior for all. And I bet we will see more of that thread. It's probably setting up things we can't even imagine. And I'm sure the mythology of the show will only be more opaque. Additional layers tend to create opacity not translucency.

gun_haver

It's funny seeing people criticize that part for 'over explaining' things, or saying the mystery is gone. It's just shifted, as was always the design.

We don't know what that glowy Laura Palmer ball was. We don't know what the bug was. We know that the mother of all abonimations birthed Bob, we we have no idea what she is or where she came from. It's like finding out that life on Earth was created by Aliens. Well sure, mystery solved. But wait a second, where did the aliens come from?

Who is the woodsman and where did he come from? Who were those kids? Who is Senorita Dido?

The onion has infinite layers.

And it doesn't explain anything. Sure I think we're drawing similar conclusions to what was intended by the creators, but how much of what we're taking as given was actually explained to us?

We were given the pieces and we've put them together. But mixed in with the pieces we needed are new pieces that don't fit.

The issue I've got with what was laid out in this episode is that yeah there are still mysteries, like you have mentioned, but what do any of them have to do with any of the characters? It's just a layer of mythology on top of what was there. We knew BOB was some kind of dark entity that could possess people and make them do things, and that he came from some other place. He had a direct impact on the characters, the actual human characters. What does this mother of abominations, or whatever it is, which created him really change? 'Oh, so that's where BOB is from. Okay'. I mean the scene of him getting puked out looked cool but that was all I felt about it.

None of the stuff in this episode actually changes anything on any meaningful level, for me - we kind of understood there was something special about Laura Palmer and people really seemed to love her to an unnatural level in the show, and she was trying to fight off the evil of BOB but ultimately failed.

Now we also know that the Giant may have made her out of his space eye magic for that specific purpose in a response to the amount of evil that was about to be unleashed upon the world because of a nuclear bomb causing a disruption in the energy of the universe which allowed some seriously bad stuff to creep through from another dimension.

I dunno about you - and sure you might just not agree with what I think happened - but I feel like the stuff that was explained either adds nothing interesting or just removes mystery. It's just lore. I don't mind it being there but I'd really rather we explore the mystery via interesting characters than just putting it on the screen like this.

Airola

I think the scene of the Giant making an orb with Laura's face in it had a completely different meaning than many are reading into it here. Hell if I was to take a swing at it, I'd guess it has something more to do with Laura's doppelganger in the Lodge than Laura herself, since the doppelganger is always saying about Laura, "“I feel like I know her but sometimes my arms bend back," and this is around the time that probably the Lodge and our world began to connect into each other (though that raises the question of why the tears to the Black Lodge are in Twin Peaks and not New Mexico if so). I think that makes more sense than some other theories, but I'm not even saying that's it.

It doesn't even have to be the doppelganger. It could be what the original Dougie was. He turned into an orb. Maybe The Giant / ????? manufactured a "third Laura" to the world.

Consider that you sound somewhat like a country town resident who just found out there's a big old world out there....

You're not wrong.

I will now begin all my posts with "back in my day..." or "around these parts..." as I staunchly resist outside influence on something I previously perceived as my own.

Also, ASAP, please kill me.

I think this show would have gotten a lot more slack from "old fans" or the mass audience or whatever you want to call them if they had simply given it a different title and not promoted it as a straight up third season of Twin Peaks. It could still be a show that takes place in the same world, or even a direct follow up in a *wink wink* sort of way, but billing it as a new, original work from David Lynch would have changed expectations dramatically.

But it's a direct continuation with loads of the same characters. What other show came back after a decade or more off screen that still had so many of the original cast?

It doesn't make sense to call it anything else. I get that it isn't for everyone that liked the original series, but who would want to watch this that hadn't watched the original series? Giving it a new name just wouldn't make sense.

Even though this is drastically different, it's still Twin Peaks. Just like Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. Which, even though we generally drop the 'Twin Peaks' part of it's title, is still called Twin Peaks.

Sure if you didn't watch the show contemporaneously you had no idea what a mind fuck it was compared to everything else on TV. Seeing it after loads of the things it influenced, you couldn't really appreciate how effecting it was seeing the red room and episode 29 back in the early 90s.

Just as in 25 years, I doubt part 8 will carry the same mind fuck potential.

The last thing I expected from the series was that it would be as different to everything else as the original series was. I mean, I hoped for that. I wanted to feel like I felt watching the end of episode 29 for the first time... but I didn't think it could happen.

Some people say Part 3 made them feel like that, but it didn't come close for me.

But Part 8? Seriously the best hour of TV I've witnessed. And I think calling this something else... well, it would rob the episode of half of it's dramatic impact.

The issue I've got with what was laid out in this episode is that yeah there are still mysteries, like you have mentioned, but what do any of them have to do with any of the characters? It's just a layer of mythology on top of what was there. We knew BOB was some kind of dark entity that could possess people and make them do things, and that he came from some other place. He had a direct impact on the characters, the actual human characters. What does this mother of abominations, or whatever it is, which created him really change? 'Oh, so that's where BOB is from. Okay'. I mean the scene of him getting puked out looked cool but that was all I felt about it.

None of the stuff in this episode actually changes anything on any meaningful level, for me - we kind of understood there was something special about Laura Palmer and people really seemed to love her to an unnatural level in the show, and she was trying to fight off the evil of BOB but ultimately failed.

Now we also know that the Giant may have made her out of his space eye magic for that specific purpose in a response to the amount of evil that was about to be unleashed upon the world because of a nuclear bomb causing a disruption in the energy of the universe which allowed some seriously bad stuff to creep through from another dimension.

I dunno about you - and sure you might just not agree with what I think happened - but I feel like the stuff that was explained either adds nothing interesting or just removes mystery. It's just lore. I don't mind it being there but I'd really rather we explore the mystery via interesting characters than just putting it on the screen like this.

I keep seeing that word 'explained'... and I just keep shaking my head at it.

Nothing was explained, only shown and we were told nothing about what that Laura orb is. We can speculate what it is, and what it's for, and we might all agree, but it certainly wasn't explained.

Imagine telling someone who asked what Bob is, that he was born after the nuclear testing by an eyeless being that vomited out his head in a blob of goo.

It doesn't explain anything.

Zach

"I don't need anything. I want." - Killer DALE

It's probably nothin', but I was thinking about this. Could this be directed at anyone in particular?

Lynch himself: You don't need to revisit and sully the good name of Twin Peaks, but you are.
Frost himself: You don't need to provide answers to the questions, but you insist.
The fanz: You don't need "old Twin Peaks"; you just want it.

I dunno. Thinking is fun.

As divided as I feel over this episode, it's not leaving my thoughts.

I did feel that the black egg with Bob's face and the gold ball with Laura's face was all a bit awkward though. Like when Leland kills Maddy and it's not enough to see Bob in the mirror, we have to see him awkwardly superimposed over Leland's face too.

But it's a direct continuation with loads of the same characters. What other show came back after a decade or more off screen that still had so many of the original cast?

Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp
Arrested Development

ROASTED lmfao - - - TV MUCH?

I sleep in a TRASH CAN and am DEePLY dEPreSSED

call for help

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My take, for what it's worth, is that the gold ball is the "chosen one" that will bring BOB to an end (Laura's face is shown just help the viewers). It's not Laura in the bauble, but the bauble ends up being Laura and she will start the chain of events that leads to BOB's demise, by accident or design.

She's "chosen" but not in a messiah type way, more of a sacrifice type instead.

Oh, and the NIN music video was dumb. And I'm a fan.

I took Laura's orb as one of many that represent the unfortunate lives that are engulfed in the continual power struggle between 'good' and 'evil' - as ill fitting as those monikers may be for the different lodges.

She was an imprint of tragedy, she had no chance in this world. Always going to be eaten.

It doesn't even have to be the doppelganger. It could be what the original Dougie was. He turned into an orb. Maybe The Giant / ????? manufactured a "third Laura" to the world.

This is what I was kind of getting at. It could be a manufactured Laura like we had a manufactured Cooper in Dougie, the orb does look similar to Dougie's orb. It could be something not meant to be good, but could mean something more tragic than that, her life is unfortunate and it could be a blessing given to her (keep in mind time in these places doesn't flow the same as Earth, it's how Laura was able to write about Cooper being in the Lodge before she was murdered after all).

And this applies to multiple things. Like the Frog thing COULD be BOB, but we don't know that. The Woodman COULD be a lesser spirit, but we don't know that. There's a few things that happen, and you could read into some things directly but there's a lot more unsaid and I think too many are reading the obvious answer, when it's very rare Lynch goes the obvious route in the first place.

This episode was obviously an origin story and revealed some things, but I don't think it's as straight-forward as many think it is and I think some people are drawing conclusions and working under the assumption this is conclusive fact a bit too early, as I think there's multiple things in this episode that can mean multiple things, and I think there's a lot of things that just don't make sense, and I don't think it's Lynch and Frost retconning stuff like some waved it off as I think it's there's more to this than we know right now. We got some pieces but the picture still isn't adding up exactly, in fact take some things at face value and begin to think what we already know about the series and some things begin to not really add up and there's contradictions, and for good reason. I don't think they revealed as much as some people think they did here.

Slaythe

This is one of my criticisms.

The original mystique of the Black Lodge and its stewards was that it was local and unknowable. Harry tells Coop that there is something out there in the woods, and its the price they pay for all the good parts of living there, and that generations of men from the town have guarded its inhabitants from this frightening and corrupting force that leeches from the trees.

This distinct sense of location, that something haunts the surrounding woods of Twin Peaks specifically, was something I was really attached to. It was something built on local legend, influenced by the geography, and defined what made the town of Twin Peaks so mysterious and strange. It made it feel like something could be lurking in the caves, or the cabins, or the wildlife, or the trees of the landscape. Twin Peaks, as a town, was a haunted house.

I have to disagree.

It wasn't just an eerie town, by the end of season 2, and more importantly with Fire walk with Me (even more so with The Missing Pieces), it was clear the whole thing was way bigger than Twin Peaks itself.

You can't have those themes (afterlife, purgatory, heaven) and have it relegated to a small town in 'Murica. This cheapens the whole thing.

Twin Peaks allowed the direct connection, which is still rather important, but I'm glad they didn't stick with the small scope of having it all happening because of that place only.

The new episode removes the importance of Twin Peaks in favor of a dimension that exists independently from it. An ignition point for the whole story was a nuclear bomb test in New Mexico in 1945. This is pretty different from a strange and otherworldly presence specifically among the Douglas Firs. It used to feel like the town Twin Peaks was hiding something, now the whole thing is so much bigger than Twin Peaks that the town doesn't seem to really matter. It's a blip on the fabric of space-time.

But it still is. It still has a direct link to this realm. Of course it existed independently from Twin Peaks, this is a bit preposterous to assume it wasn't when you see other cases and supernatural events had occurred in other cities.

This episode precisely links those other occurrences together as having a common source.

And even if they come back and explain that Twin Peaks is some sort of grand portal or nexus, the damage is done. The Black Lodge and its lore used to be part of the town. It was something out there and in the woods. Now the town is part of the Lodge. Now there is a monstrous and faceless creator laying eggs in the desert in 1945. The energy is all over the world and unleashed at a specific point in time.

There has been a clear emphasis on "energy" and "electricity" being tied to the world of spirits, I like the fact that an atomic blast was the key for this evil realm to trespass into our world. It also legitimizes 'Murica being the place where it happened, they committed awful acts (morally and in actuality) with their hydrogen bombs. The fact that it literally allowed evil to get in is quite damning.

Laura's "birth" is going to be a major role, and she was in Twin Peaks, so let's wait and see how they tie it all up together.

I feel like Laura will be the face of Twin Peaks in this story. The place, her role, it will be explained in upcoming episodes I believe.

I can understand you dislike a monster given physical form like that, but the season had at least teased this was coming.

The previous confines of the lodges and the alternate dimension were much more intimate and claustrophobic. They were cracks in the town you could slip in and out of that had been both guarded and exploited by entities for an unknown span of time.

The new lore is still interesting. But it can be a tough pill to swallow. It can be defeating to have your closely-held understandings unwound. There is some merit to challenging preconceived notions, but you have to be willing to let it all go. I'm still working on that,

I think you have to see this episode as a one time thing though, to me it doesn't take away anything from Twin Peaks because it was there before that blast, and was there after.

It's the key to what will lead to Bob's defeat.

Edit :

And speaking of which, we still don't know what Bob is. How did his soul get into the evil realm, who he was before that etc... those questions remain. All we know is that "mother" gave him new life and sent him into the real world. But we also know he's gonna get back in there eventually. Or maybe that was a way for him to access and infect the Red Lodge ?

that was certainly something.

im glad david lynch finally got to make the nine inch nails music video he always wanted to

Funny you should say that. David Lynch actually already has made a Nine Inch Nails music video for the song Came Back Haunted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RN6pT3zL44

It's definitely visually similar to 'The Return' especially in regards to Cooper falling through space, which makes sense given how recent this video is.

Futureman

Visually episode 8 wast just bonkers. Holy shit. I'm SO fucking happy David Lynch is getting the budget in 2017 to realize something like that episode. Just blew my mind.

TO COMPLETELY SWITCH GEARS, my GF brought up the criticism to me last night that the only black character in season 3 (I think??) is a black prostitute. What does everyone think of that? With so much talk the past few years about representation in TV/film, I don't think I've heard any criticism directed at Lynch over this.

gun_haver

I keep seeing that word 'explained'... and I just keep shaking my head at it.

Nothing was explained, only shown and we were told nothing about what that Laura orb is. We can speculate what it is, and what it's for, and we might all agree, but it certainly wasn't explained.

Imagine telling someone who asked what Bob is, that he was born after the nuclear testing by an eyeless being that vomited out his head in a blob of goo.

It doesn't explain anything.

If you want to be pedantic about it, substitute 'explained' for 'demonstrated visually', because yes nobody outright said the things I've taken from the episode, because there wasn't any dialogue in most of it, but this is me reading into the visual storytelling that was taking place.

And yeah I agree with what you say about saying Bob was born after a nuclear test caused an eyeless being puking him out not really 'explaining' anything - I don't need explanations, it's just a byword for my comprehension. More accurately it doesn't add anything, which is my criticism of what I understood this episode to be showing us.

I think it just comes down to my feeling that when it comes to horror, the question is interesting. The answer isn't.

Visually episode 8 wast just bonkers. Holy shit. I'm SO fucking happy David Lynch is getting the budget in 2017 to realize something like that episode. Just blew my mind.

TO COMPLETELY SWITCH GEARS, my GF brought up the criticism to me last night that the only black character in season 3 (I think??) is a black prostitute. What does everyone think of that? With so much talk the past few years about representation in TV/film, I don't think I've heard any criticism directed at Lynch over this.

Colonel/Major (?) Davis is played by Ernie Hudson. You're right, it doesn't change the fact that there is a lack of black characters in this revival.

If you want to be pedantic about it, substitute 'explained' for 'demonstrated visually', because yes nobody outright said the things I've taken from the episode, because there wasn't any dialogue in most of it, but this is me reading into the visual storytelling that was taking place.

And yeah I agree with what you say about saying Bob was born after a nuclear test caused an eyeless being puking him out not really 'explaining' anything - I don't need explanations, it's just a byword for my comprehension. More accurately it doesn't add anything, which is my criticism of what I understood this episode to be showing us.

What does it take away though?

I mean, it clearly effects characters in the series, even if not ones as central to the story... but the FBI have been investigating it. It killed people in the real world. There's still a chance we might end up caring about that girl in the 50s (if we don't already considering we don't know who she is yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom