• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Maybe the whole structure on the rocky outcropping is The Chair?

Edit: Or maybe the Giant is "The Chair", as in "chairperson"...

The structure doesn't resemble a normal chair at the very least, but you could consider the place seated on top of the structure I suppose. I do get the feeling the chair refereed to in the next episode title is probably not a normal chair.

7d1fd722a02861ebca89aa5518f36d81.png
1a8e4421f2ca31a5f75007195f00018d.png

Also while I'm taking these screenshots, I just want to mention I still think the Purple Ocean place is one of the most dreamy, beautiful, yet creepy looking areas I've seen. I was in love with it from Part 3, and love it here in Part 8 as well.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The purple ocean has an eerie feel to it for some reason. Wonder why the White Lodge is placed in the middle of it.

Dusk Golem

Also to specify where I'm coming from since saw some people asking about being Twin Peaks/David Lynch fans, I got into Twin Peaks late. I was literally born in 1991 exactly 31 days after the Season 2 finale aired, so there wasn't really a way I could've been there for the series originally. I got into it in 2010 when a lot of things that released around then that I ended up loving, Deadly Premonition, Alan Wake, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, all listed Twin Peaks as a major inspiration. So I decided to check it out, watched all 30 episodes and then FWWM, and I adored it. It quickly became my favorite TV Show of all time, and then I checked out Lynch's other works over the next few years and I loved it all too.

So I am a more general David Lynch fan now, but I do love Twin Peaks and Twin Peaks is what got my into David Lynch.

I'm an "old fan" and Im loving what we are getting, but I also probably like Lynch in general more than Twin Peaks.

Generally I love what we're getting. But at the same time I realise the clock on this show isn't infinite, and that in ten weeks or so it will conclude. The ticking clock is on my mind whenever Dougie is on screen, or whenever Lynch decides he's going to do an almost-entirely surrealist arthouse movie for an episode that repaints Laura Palmer (who is now a golden egg instead of the goose the lays them) in a religious context that I'm not sure is a good idea.

But we shall see.

Dusk Golem

The purple ocean has an eerie feel to it for some reason. Wonder why the White Lodge is placed in the middle of it.

Keep in mind we right now don't know if this place is specifically the White Lodge, that's just speculation right now on some people's part because The Giant is there and it's in black and white.

I think it's a beautiful and eerie place too though and until we get confirmation on what it is, I'm just going to call it the Purple Ocean.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Keep in mind we right now don't know if this place is specifically the White Lodge, that's just speculation right now on some people's part because The Giant is there and it's in black and white.

I think it's a beautiful and eerie place too though and until we get confirmation on what it is, I'm just going to call it the Purple Ocean.
True and if that is indeed the White Lodge, I'd expect more spirits/guardians in there for some reason. It can't be that exclusive of a club, can it? lol
I can't freaking wait for the next episode.

I don't think it's the white lodge, personally. And I do think we are in the Black Lodge in Episode 29. I don't think that the black and white lodge are simple heaven / hell things that are literally black and white.

But hey, speculation is fun.

Seriously though can we drop the bullshit notion that there is product placement in this series?

I've seen HP, ThinkPad, Samsung and Microsoft computers so far. It's not product placement.

Which of those companies do you think would sign a deal for their products to be exclusively featured in one single scene of Twin Peaks? Seeing a logo on screen doesn't = product placement, any more than Pabst Blue Ribbon was product placement in Blue Velvet.

Addi

The chair can be anything, I mean, just look at the arm :p

Why is the past shot in black and white? Is it to match the aesthetics of that time or is there an other meaning to it? Is the flashback someones vision or did this actually happen now somehow because "is it future or is it past"? So many questions.

You can't really do a 'Dave's Greatest Hits' TV show and not include NIN in some capacity. They worked together on the Lost Highway soundtrack and Lynch directed a recent video (and nearly directed one for an early single back when OG Peaks was on TV).

I get that- but said capacity did not need to be a full-length music video in the middle of an episode.

I don't mean to make a mountain out of a molehill, though. I'm enjoying this new season more than I could have ever expected.

Club Silencio was filmed at the Tower Theatre in Los Angeles, and it looks like that location was used again for season 3. I'd guess that's why it seemed familiar yet strange.

Dusk Golem

The chair can be anything, I mean, just look at the arm :p

Why is the past shot in black and white? Is it to match the aesthetics of that time or is there an other meaning to it? Is the flashback someones vision or did this actually happen now somehow because "is it future or is it past"? So many questions.

That's kind of what I was saying, I don't see any literal chairs outside of in the scene with the gramophone where the lady is sitting on a chair (well, a couch), but the chair could be anything really. It could even be a chair.

There's a lot of cryptic lines said by the entities in this season which don't feel random but I don't quite know what they mean yet. The one that throws me most off right now is the Arm's Doppelganger yelling, "NON-EXIST-ENT" right before Cooper gets flung through space to pop up inside of the box. It's an interesting thing for him to yell and I don't think it's just nonsense, but I don't really know what I take it to mean at this point.

---

Actually, speaking of the Arm's Doppelganger, with some new context from Part 8 I am not taking it as coincidence that the Arm's Doppelganger forms out of the woman statue in the Waiting Room, and that it has the same mouth that Mother has.

Dusk Golem

I wouldn't even be surprised if we had a 50-foot CG Bob monster attacking Twin Peaks by the end of the season.

Bob's face superimposed onto a giant frog-fly-slug-spider kaiju, more like it.

(meant to edit this into my last post, but subconsciously went for the post button on accident.)

I'm glad y'all are digging it, but I do wonder how many of you that think this was the "most amazing hour of TV ever" were huge fans of the original.

From what I can gather, many of us who are enjoying S3 immensely are absolutely devoted fans of the original. Most of us have not only seen all the original episodes and FWWM countless times, but have read The Secret History, watched and rewatched The Missing Pieces, etc.

Club Silencio was filmed at the Tower Theatre in Los Angeles, and it looks like that location was used again for season 3. I'd guess that's why it seemed familiar yet strange.

The stage looks similar, but the room itself is pretty different (No theater seating, for example). I think BenjaminBirdie said he thinks it was shot in Brooklyn.

I get that- but said capacity did not need to be a full-length music video in the middle of an episode.

I don't mean to make a mountain out of a molehill, though. I'm enjoying this new season more than I could have ever expected.

I am a fan though, I'd be annoyed if It was a group I didn't enjoy. The lyrics seem relevant though, I've assumed since hearing their EP back in December that it would be the song they would perform.

I'm doing the second viewing now. The darkness (of the video image) is really annoying in this episode, I don't enjoy squinting myself into a headache just to make out the BOB Marble being pulled from Mr C's guts.

I wonder who BOB will inhabit next.

I'm not convinced the RoachFrog thing is either BOB or Laura. I think it was one of the many other eggs being thrown up by the Experiment.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
This episode was crazy. I need to watch it again today since I was pretty sleepy while watching it last night.

PolishQ

I'm not convinced the RoachFrog thing is either BOB or Laura. I think it was one of the many other eggs being thrown up by the Experiment.

Yeah, starting to agree. It's definitely related to Bob. Maybe it's the only egg that survived and hatched.

Maybe Evil Coop in present day is searching for the girl that hosts the bug.

Generally I love what we're getting. But at the same time I realise the clock on this show isn't infinite, and that in ten weeks or so it will conclude. The ticking clock is on my mind whenever Dougie is on screen, or whenever Lynch decides he's going to do an almost-entirely surrealist arthouse movie for an episode that repaints Laura Palmer (who is now a golden egg instead of the goose the lays them) in a religious context that I'm not sure is a good idea.

But we shall see.

That's how I feel, he can do what he wants but I wish we had more episodes. But then again he got the episode count he wanted and he assumed this was a finale series (while still being open to do more after if this goes well but wasn't made with an open end in mind afaik). So it's not like he had the rug pulled out and no renewal. I was wondering if maybe having some looser ends with the younger cast could also be a thread to keep going on if the demand is there. But I want Coopers arc to come to a conclusion if this is it. If they do another season with him somehow in it as a resident that'd be great but don't leave us on another cliffhanger for the love of God.

gun_haver

About pacing:

I'm not worried that it isn't gonna have lots of great stuff in it going ahead or that the story isn't gonna be complete, or anything like that. I'm just a bit bothered that this episode in particular felt like a waste of time. What was good in this episode could have been done in a lot less time - like, the nuclear explosion. I've seen that kind of thing before, in Space Odyssey, so it didn't 'blow my mind'. I just thought 'huh this is kind of cool, this reminds me of space odyssey' then a few minutes later I was thinking 'yep, uh, still cool looking. kinda taking up a big chunk of the episode though...' and the same with the stuff in the 'white lodge' (if that is what it was)

I've liked everything up until now. Just felt like some time got wasted this week. I suppose I'll be more patient with it years later when I'm rewatching the whole thing at my own pace, though.

Levito

Banned
After last night's episode, seeing Laura's face in the globe, and reading some theories about last night's episode that we may have just witnessed the origin of Bob AND Laura. All I can think of is that 2007 interview with David Lynch where he said "[Laura Palmer's murder] was the golden goose mystery that laid the eggs for all the other mysteries".

In that interview he laments that the mystery behind Laura's murder was never meant to be solved. CBS pressured Lynch+Frost to do it, and basically immediately after Leland is revealed as the killer, the show takes a gigantic nosedive in quality, resulting is terrible garbage like James going to the other town, and Nadine thinking she's a teenager and has super strength for no reason at all.

After last night's episode I think the giant and the woman we saw were in the White Lodge, and they sent Laura to earth to eventually set the events in motion to defeat Bob. The original idea of Laura Palmer's murder was that it was the event that introduces the audience to the characters and world of Twin Peaks.

Maybe I'm rambling but I can't help but wonder if this is like some meta commentary by Lynch and Frost trying to make Laura the heart of the plot again or something like she originally was intended to be. Or an attempt by them to course correct the the reveal of Laura's killer, to make her place in the story what it originally was supposed to be in some respect. Hard to articulate this tbh.

I mostly liked the episode but I feel like they could have done way more editing and did the same thing they were trying to do.

I often think to myself with this series, am I enjoying this on its own merits, or because I just like that something so weird has been allowed to exist.

cucuchu

I'll just go ahead and say it:
This episode is one of the greatest things I've ever witnessed in my entire life.

One of the best for me so I agree. Going to watch episode 7 and 8 tonight with my wife since she missed them and I look forward to seeing if she can handle it without saying "fck this I'm out". I may have to fast forward the peanut-shell sweeping scene.

I feel like I'm the only one that really enjoyed the NIN performance and song but yeah that was a nice touch.

That episode was great. I got BIG Lost Highway vibes in the first 15 minutes with the first person driving, the shot of Ray in a car in total darkness, a gunshot and supernatural events happening in the middle of nowhere, and of course, a NIИ song.

And then, obviously, came the Eraserhead vibes.

However, the plethora of posts like these:

I'll just go ahead and say it:
This episode is one of the greatest things I've ever witnessed in my entire life.

I don't know if I'd go that far (sorry ActWan I just quoted you since you were the latest post lol). I need to see what Lynch is building up to before being able to consider it anything past "great".

ActWan

I feel like I'm the only one that really enjoyed the NIN performance and song but yeah that was a nice touch.

I enjoyed that too. I don't usually listen to them, but they make great music and it was very fitting for the episode and the events that took place.

I don't know if I'd go that far (sorry ActWan I just quoted you since you were the latest post lol). I need to see what Lynch is building up to before being able to consider it anything past "great".

It's fine haha.
I don't even care what happened before it and what happens after in the context of the show...I'm talking about it as a standalone thing. It just resonated so well with me...the themes, cinematography, music, the things it made me feel...everything.
It was so enchanting I couldn't take my eyes of the screen for even a second. Fucking perfection.

Obscura

I just watched it again with my mom and she really liked it too. ...I guess we should watch Eraserhead next.

DO IT.

Turn the sound up as loud as you can take it. If you don't have tv speakers with a sub, turn your bass up in the tone settings. The sound design is half the film.

Regarding the speculation I'm reading... I like it. Can we stop with the "THIS is the white lodge" or "THIS is the black lodge" stuff though? We don't know so saying it as fact is a disservice to those trying to get a grip on whats happening in the show and it's lore.

Vic_Viper

That episode dragged on way too long and really didnt do much to furthur the story. Kinda dissapointed with how long its taking for this show to get back to its roots. If I wasnt a big fan of Twin Peaks already I probably wouldnt be watching anymore lol.

A-V-B

Haven't watched the new episode so I don't know anything yet, but it's amazing how its airing sprouted up 20 new pages. I've never seen as much activity for this show, so needless to say I'm hype as hell.

Katori

Also i just remember something we have not seen yet which people spotted them filming years ago when the new season began filming. Warning as for some reason I just randomly remembered this, and this includes not one, but two potential major spoilers.

I just recalled people seeing Kyle in a sheriff's costume in multiple early shootings for the new season, that certainly hasn't happened yet and might imply where the Dougie stuff is going. Also people mentioned when they were filming at the Palmer House, and while no one saw inside Kyle was there in the Sherrif's costume when filming this and people could hear lots of screaming.

Are you certain it was
Kyle and not Robert Forster?
I can see how the two could be confused at the typical distance (and spatial resolution) of candid set shots.

Could also be misdirection, but if not, interesting. I'd love to see the pics.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
It's fine haha.
I don't even care what happened before it and what happens after in the context of the show...I'm talking about it as a standalone thing. It just resonated so well with me...the themes, cinematography, music, the things it made me feel...everything.
It was so enchanting I couldn't take my eyes of the screen for even a second. Fucking perfection.
I'm fully with you on this. This was fucking perfection in my eyes. Felt like it brought it all home in a way.
The cycle repeats. A man-made "big bang" that also gave birth.

rhino4evr

That episode dragged on way too long and really didnt do much to furthur the story. Kinda dissapointed with how long its taking for this show to get back to its roots. If I wasnt a big fan of Twin Peaks already I probably wouldnt be watching anymore lol.

Is the origin of BOB and Laura Palmer NOT important to the overall story?

PolishQ

There was a part in the original series where the screen fills with a fireball, similar to the nuclear blast sequence from Part 8. It was towards the end of season 2, right?

gun_haver

Haven't watched the new episode so I don't know anything yet, but it's amazing how its airing sprouted up 20 new pages. I've never seen as much activity for this show, so needless to say I'm hype as hell.

yeah i guess regardless of individual opinion, it certainly is an episode that has got people going. doesn't necessarily mean it is a good one though!

Vic_Viper

Is the origin of BOB and Laura Palmer NOT important to the overall story?

Id argue that neither of those characters needed an origin, definitely not one that takes 55 minutes to explain lol. Yea it was cool and completely different from anything ive ever seen on TV but if it was only 20 minutes long I would have liked it alot more. Just wasnt my favorite episode by far and hope this season picks up in the second half.

My main hope is that now that Bad Coop was killed OG Coop can finally return. I know he sat up at the end of that scene, but there is no way he survived that.

Kind of funny, my dad hadn't been into this season at all because he doesn't know what the fuck is happening (he only watched the original series when it first aired and didn't even know that there was a movie), but he loved last night's episode.
It was very stunning, in various ways.

Kind of funny, my dad hadn't been into this season at all because he doesn't know what the fuck is happening (he only watched the original series when it first aired and didn't even know that there was a movie), but he loved last night's episode.
It was very stunning, in various ways.

My parents are watching it tonight.

I can't wait for their reactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom