• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
How would you guys feel if Cooper never comes back?

I am not considering this possibility just yet hahaha.

Lynch is one who bases on how right his work feels, and it would definitely feel wrong if he didn't come back.

EdmondD

You don't want to see him, or you do?

I don't get it!

To be honest, I would fucking lose my shit if I saw David Bowie, or his voice (the one in Episode 1 was most definitely not Bowie and even Mr. C was doubting it was Jeffries).

I very much do want to see him. It's one of the things I want most for this season. Things I want this season : Chet Desmond. Bowie. Julee Cruise singing a song. Jimmy Scott singing a song. I believe Jimmy Scott died before filming though so I know that is not happening.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I very much do want to see him. It's one of the things I want most for this season. Things I want this season : Chet Desmond. Bowie. Julee Cruise singing a song. Jimmy Scott singing a song. I believe Jimmy Scott died before filming though so I know that is not happening.

Oh man, I would have loved Jimmy Scott singing another song. Sycamore Trees is still one of my favorite moments in the show.

I'm hoping against hope that we see Bowie one last time. That's one of the things I most want from this season. Please great lodge spirits grant my wish.

tenor.gif

Said it before and I'll say it again, if he appears I'm gonna lose my shit.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
david-bowie-last-photoshoot-jimmy-king-fb__700-png.jpg

He still looked mightily great in his last days as well.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I actually am excited for more Dougie. I need to know what Dougie's boss saw in his scribbles, how people treat him after his heroics, and how the Las Vegas gangs after him will go.

JC Sera

I am not considering this possibility just yet hahaha.

Lynch is one who bases on how right his work feels, and it would definitely feel wrong if he didn't come back.
if dougie is an honest allegory for Alzheimers/Dementia/how the elderly are mistreated in todays society, I could see cooper not coming back

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I actually am excited for more Dougie. I need to know what Dougie's boss saw in his scribbles, how people treat him after his heroics, and how the Las Vegas gangs after him will go.

I have a sense that the danger where Cooper will find himself in is ultimately what will wake him up.

if dougie is an honest allegory for Alzheimers/Dementia/how the elderly are mistreated in todays society, I could see cooper not coming back

Oh shit this makes too much sense.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I think Cooper is coming back or this whole storyline will be pointless atm. That's the end-game essentially.

Imagine if Cooper didn't come back and he still got Mr. C while in Dougie mode. Lmao, that would be amazing.

liquidtmd

Banned
I think Cooper is coming back or this whole storyline will be pointless atm. That's the end-game essentially.

At this point though, I either want

- Cooper back at least six episodes pre-finale

- Not at all

Coop waking up at the start or mid way through the last episode would I think be absolutely the worst for me.

Corpsepyre

Banned
You guys think this is the last we'll see of Twin Peaks, or Lynch might be cooking up something more? How are the ratings, anyway?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
This old teaser does show a bit of what I presume to be normal Coop, so I think we'll have time to enjoy Coop.

You guys think this is the last we'll see of Twin Peaks, or Lynch might be cooking up something more? How are the ratings, anyway?

Definitely the last. They keep saying that they're open for more, but I don't think they can do the same writing process they had for this season without more actors passing away, and they know that. Ratings don't mean much considering Showtime considers the show to be success with the big amount (a record for them actually) of subscribers for their service.

Dusk Golem

I think Lynch isn't getting any younger. I am woth the expectation this is the last of Twin Peaks, and may even be the last major work by Lynch.

This old teaser does show a bit of what I presume to be normal Coop, so I think we'll have time to enjoy Coop.

I'm surprised how much from the trailer and teasers we still haven't seen.

EdmondD

Dougie/Coop enters the Red Room. "HELLOOOO" Holy shit it's Jimmy Scott. "..and I'll see you in the branches that blow. In the breeze."

Wait, who is that mysterious figure ahead? Oh my fucking god it's David freaking Bowie! "Now, were not going to talk about Judy. Were going to keep her out of it. Agent Cooper it's time to wake up."

Coop wakes up in the real world fully cognizant and conscious. "I sure could use a damn fine cup of joe and a nice slice of cherry pie." He's back! The crowd goes wild.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Dougie/Coop enters the Red Room. "HELLOOOO" Holy shit it's Jimmy Scott. "..and I'll see you in the branches that blow. In the breeze."

Wait, who is that mysterious figure ahead? Oh my fucking god it's David freaking Bowie! "Now, were not going to talk about Judy. Were going to keep her out of it. Agent Cooper it's time to wake up."

Coop wakes up in the real world fully cognizant and conscious. "I sure could use a damn fine cup of joe and a nice slice of cherry pie." He's back! The crowd goes wild.

Cooper coming out of the Red Room:

twinpeaks_fluid.gif

(I put it in spoilers because the flashing might bother some people)

Corpsepyre

Banned
Hmm, I think Lynch still has more left in him. I want him to do a completely original series next with Showtime or HBO where he has full creative control. Give us a whole new mystery to chew on and fuck our minds over. I hope something like that happens.

hydruxo

Hmm, I think Lynch still has more left in him. I want him to do a completely original series next with Showtime or HBO where he has full creative control. Give us a whole new mystery to chew on and fuck our minds over. I hope something like that happens.

I could see him doing a one off miniseries or something. I don't think he'd want to get too tied down with a full series, but you never know.

I definitely think he's done with Twin Peaks after this though, no doubt in my mind about that. The stars had to align perfectly for us to even get S3.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I could see him doing a one off miniseries or something. I don't think he'd want to get too tied down with a full series, but you never know.

I definitely think he's done with Twin Peaks after this though, no doubt in my mind about that. The stars had to align perfectly for us to even get S3.

Yeah, I still can't believe we finally got S3.

Flipyap

Rumor going around is that tonight's episode will be the first round of a single-elimination pachinko tournament storyline.
HIT THE LEVER!
Pachinkohead, a David Lynch game nightmare.

Here's hoping Chet is the guy impersonating "Philip Jefferies". I'm thinking they might be using him in place of whatever role Bowie was supposed to have on the show.
As much as I'd like to see Chester Desmond again, I really hope it's not a character who hasn't been established as having been "with Bob" before.
"And I will be with Bob again" is a fantastic ominous tease, but only if "again" actually means again and not "for the first time."

Watching Episode 8, which just seems to get better each viewing.

First detail I didn't notice - when you see B(L)OB in the vomit stream, you can clearly see an egg behind him that breaks away from the stream, likely the desert Frogmoth (and further evidence the Frogmoth ain't BOB).

Second thing - in fire, presumably the centre of the bomb, we see a ball of gold. The camera zooms in on this, and then takes us to the purple sea. Is it possible that Gold - which seems to be connected with The Giant and Dido - is used to transmit information to them?

Weird that The Giant is so much older back in the 40's.

Second thing - in fire, presumably the centre of the bomb, we see a ball of gold. The camera zooms in on this, and then takes us to the purple sea. Is it possible that Gold - which seems to be connected with The Giant and Dido - is used to transmit information to them?

i think this is something he has wanted to do for a long time. the mystery of Laura Palmer was the "golden egg" in many interviews that mentions the network killing in the first series. them forcing the murder to be solved. the mysteries were the golden eggs. this is an interview from 2001:

Were you happy with the way Twin Peaks ended?

Oh, it could have gone on forever. The problem was we never meant to follow the murder for a long time. The Black Dahlia has never been solved... these things keep pulling you, and you keep thinking about them and it's beautiful. So once it's solved, it really kills the magnet. It's terrible. We were put under so much pressure by ABC and people in general to solve that, that we killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

http://www.lynchnet.com/mdrive/hgcs.html

ZragnUIl.png

episode 8 has a number of eggs, and this is a golden egg with Laura's image in it. this is symbolic of the original spirit of pursuing mysteries.

nzSALgel.png

i think this is something he has wanted to do for a long time. this is an interview from 2001:

ZragnUIl.png

nzSALgel.png

Haha yeah he's been banging on about his Goose for years. Every interview i've seen where he's asked about it he says the same damn thing! He seems happier talking about his little quinoas.

Gold also comes up in TSHOTP, and of course Doc Jacoby is spraying shovels gold. I think that's going to protect him from a potential Woodsmen invasion later.

grumpy

Btw, what is the small round pool of water in front of opening of the red room/black lodge? Just an artistic choice or some deeper meaning?

And is Season 3 more in line with the final episode of Season 2? I want more of that

Like one of my friends said "S3 feels like someone who was in love with the supernatural elements of the original show wrote the best fanfic about it and got showtime to finance it."

Make of that what you will :p

I don't think I've been this invested in a show since The Wire was airing (back when like 6 people knew about it). Both 2 week breaks we've had (after the big Part 1-4 drop, and after Part 8) were physically painful. I don't even care about any other visual entertainment right now, tbh. Since May 21st, 2017 I've been watching everything else with a blank Dougie expression on my face.

Whenever Twin Peaks isn't on screen, all I'm asking is "Where's Twin Peaks?"

Talking about "Which will you watch first, Game of Thrones or Twin Peaks?" Game of Thrones is in the bushes, breh. I'm not thinking about the bad pussy right now.

I didn't watch Sopranos or Wire live but I'm as invested in this as I was those shows when I watched the dvds. I kinda feel like a junkie going through withdrawals when this took a week long break lol. God damn, I did not expect season 3 to be THIS enthralling. Best thing about it is that it really feels like Lynchs last ride so he's pulling out all the stops. Which is also sad too.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I think that's going to protect him from a potential Woodsmen invasion later.

The fact that he has a radio show makes me worried about another "This is the Water" moment that kills him.

HIT THE LEVER!

Pachinkohead, a David Lynch game nightmare.

As much as I'd like to see Chester Desmond again, I really hope it's not a character who hasn't been established as having been "with Bob" before.
"And I will be with Bob again" is a fantastic ominous tease, but only if "again" actually means again and not "for the first time."

Good point, but so few characters have been "with Bob" that I have to wonder who else they could possibly put in that role. With Chet it's at least plausible he could have met Bob since he seemed to be taken by the lodge.

Also, that GIF is fantastic ha ha

I wouldn't be surprised if a real Twin Peaks pachinko machine existed somewhere given how popular the original series was in Japan.

Dusk Golem

I'm probably late on the uptake on this, but rewatching I just realized Linda (mentioned in Part 1 to be remembered with Richard by the Giant/????) is mentioned in Part 6 as someone the trailer park owner knows, and of course is the woman in the wheelchair we see in Part 7.

Probably late to the plate on that one, but just put it together myself.

i think this is something he has wanted to do for a long time. the mystery of Laura Palmer was the "golden egg" in many interviews that mentions the network killing in the first series. them forcing the murder to be solved. the mysteries were the golden eggs. this is an interview from 2001:

ZragnUIl.png

episode 8 has a number of eggs, and this is a golden egg with Laura's image in it. this is symbolic of the original spirit of pursuing mysteries.

nzSALgel.png

Are you sure it isn't just a sequel to Eraserhead?

I like what that interview says, and given context to specific parts of the episode, it makes sense as a visual metaphor for mystery.

Haha yeah he's been banging on about his Goose for years. Every interview i've seen where he's asked about it he says the same damn thing! He seems happier talking about his little quinoas.

Gold also comes up in TSHOTP, and of course Doc Jacoby is spraying shovels gold. I think that's going to protect him from a potential Woodsmen invasion later.

Lynch loves gold. He called Patricia Arquette "Solid Gold" on the set of Lost Highway. A term he uses often while filming too. And he insisted on calling the the DVD set for Twin Peaks, "The Definitive Gold Box Edition".

If the real Cooper never comes back, I will spend the rest of my life disparaging Twin Peaks to anyone who asks. What a colossal waste of time this will have all been.

Hoping I'm wrong.

Yeah putting out one of the greatest episodes of television ever such a waste of time

I'd take just about every episode of The Wire before I sit down to watch that poorly paced film school experiment and that's just one good TV show. There are countless others out there that can tell a riveting story without fixating on the same scene for 10 minutes while nothing happens.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The fact that he has a radio show makes me worried about another "This is the Water" moment that kills him.
At the very least they want us to consider the parallels between his show that tells you to wake up and not to swallow what the man is feeding you and the Woodsmen making people unconscious to swallow their bug.

But yeah I think the Woodsmen descending on Twin Peaks is too powerful an image to avoid.

Moff

I'd take just about every episode of The Wire before I sit down to watch that poorly paced film school experiment and that's just one good TV show. There are countless others out there that can tell a riveting story without fixating on the same scene for 10 minutes while nothing happens.

Un2aqtG.gif

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
What do you think of 2001: A Space Odyssey?

What do you think of 2001: A Space Odyssey?

I think it was a masterpiece that Lynch should try to emulate in something that's not called Twin Peaks. Because what he's doing now is coming up well short in terms of being anywhere near 2001 while simultaneously shitting all over everything Twin Peaks was supposed to be.

I think it was a masterpiece that Lynch should try to emulate in something that's not called Twin Peaks. Because what he's doing now is coming up well short in terms of being anywhere near 2001 while simultaneously shitting all over everything Twin Peaks was supposed to be.

I don't know what Twin Peaks was "supposed" to be, but I'm glad it turned into what we're seeing.

Real Hero

What was twin peaks supposed to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom