• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Just reached episode 18 of Season 2. Show is picking up again ( a bit) but man what a dive in quality it was the past episodes. It was tedious at times and absolutely hard to watch at moments. It has been 10 years since watched the second Season and i cant remember it being this bad. First couple of episodes were good tho but after that? Damn.
Best is to forget and look forward to what is coming because this was a bumpy road in a otherwise very nice ride.

Sorry for the critics..

Real Hero

So throughout the last month I managed to finally finish season 2; I have watched the first 9 or so episodes years ago and just couldn't get myself to finish it due to the dip in quality and me having tons of shows that I needed to get to. Now that I've finished it...damn that finale was crazy. I can't exactly call it a terrible season - 40% of it is great but the middle part after the reveal is just boring and drags for too long. Not surprised that many people hated season 2 (especially compared to S1 which I watched twice).

I skipped Fire Walk with Me cause I just couldn't wait any longer to start the new season, and I also heard that it's bad (or half of it at least?). I did watch a "recap" though. Will probably get it & the missing pieces soon. Anyway...

I absolutely love the new season from the get go. binged all 8 episodes in a week, but I just wish I experienced part 8 w/o hearing all the buzz about it, since that prepared me a bit but still...I feel like it's the closest thing we'll get to a new "Lynch feature film", with elements from Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr. and Eraserhead. I hope we get another episode or two like part 8.

Go watch fire walk with me.
Edit: watching everything and read the book, no reason to skip anything

Flipyap

The song doesn't do much for me, but this photo is one of my favorite things.
s5OClhn.jpg

PolishQ

i really recommend it, IMO totally sets up the tone for season 3.

and besides, it's like a 90 min movie. not much of an investment

It's 2 hours and 15 minutes, plus 90 more minutes if you watch The Missing Pieces (which you should). But yes, absolutely watch it! At this point it's basically the pilot to season 3.

Well, I seem to be the Hero Gaf Deserves and not the one it needs. I may be pulling the trigger on Hall H for Stranger Things instead of Twin Peaks.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I've watched episode 8 four times now and I still don't like it.

Watching it for the fourth time this morning, however, has made it my most watched episode of the entire Twin Peaks series.

Yet I still don't like it.

So why have I watched it more than any other?

Weird.

Lynch: *Odd reverberating sounds* With this episode, I thee wed.

Serious answer: You don't have to enjoy or have fun with something to appreciate it.

traveler

Not Wario
I think Dougie's "HELLllllOOOOOOOOO!" might be my favorite delivery of a line in television history. Let's get back to Mr. Jackpots please.

Whether it was intentional or not, they did right by placing the two week break after episode 8. The amount of discussion and speculation have made the wait that much easier than it would have been otherwise.

Whether it was intentional or not, they did right by placing the two week break after episode 8. The amount of discussion and speculation have made the wait that much easier than it would have been otherwise.

Agreed... I've seen it said elsewhere so I'm just stealing this; Episode 8 felt like the intermission between the first and second halves of a film.

I don't think I've been this invested in a show since The Wire was airing (back when like 6 people knew about it). Both 2 week breaks we've had (after the big Part 1-4 drop, and after Part 8) were physically painful. I don't even care about any other visual entertainment right now, tbh. Since May 21st, 2017 I've been watching everything else with a blank Dougie expression on my face.

Whenever Twin Peaks isn't on screen, all I'm asking is "Where's Twin Peaks?"

Talking about "Which will you watch first, Game of Thrones or Twin Peaks?" Game of Thrones is in the bushes, breh. I'm not thinking about the bad pussy right now.

Rien

Jelly Belly
So i got 2 versions of FWWM both named the same only one runs around 90 mins and the other around 135 mins. So which is the movie and which is the deleted scenes? And with which one do i start?

Just told my gf that we still have a movie plus deleted scenes to watch before starting Season 3. That deff made her day good since she has to work now.

Any final predictions for tonight?

Mine: We've only seen Dougie have to pee. Tonight we will see what he's like when he as to poo. I predict he shits his pants and Philip Jeffries appears, and Lynch/Frost will reuse the "Oh Mr Jeffries, the shit it come out of my asshole", line from The Missing Pieces.

This is aimed not at people in this thread, (unless you've done it), but broadly at the world.

Stop telling people to skip FWWM when watching Twin Peaks. Stop telling people it's bad.

Good lord.

Closer Two

Stop telling people to skip FWWM when watching Twin Peaks. Stop telling people it's bad.

Good lord.

It's irritating how much I've seen this sentiment round the internet. FWWM is amazing and it's final scene worked so perfectly as an ending to the series. So much so I don't know if season 3's ending can live up to it. Not only does it act as an ending but it simultaneously works as a prologue too.

Cooper offering a kind hand on her shoulder as she watches on laughing and crying with relief is such a powerful image to me.

Chitown B

It's irritating how much I've seen this sentiment round the internet. FWWM is amazing and it's final scene worked so perfectly as an ending to the series. So much so I don't know if season 3's ending can live up to it. Not only does it act as an ending but it simultaneously works as a prologue too.

Cooper offering a kind hand on her shoulder as she watches on laughing and crying with relief is such a powerful image to me.

the scene is good. and some others are too. but those that pretend, by omission, that a lot of the movie doesn't just plain suck (bar scene I'm looking at you) are just putting on rose colored glasses and being too fanboy, in my opinion.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

I felt the same way after I rewatched it. It's an incredibly powerful summative image.
the scene is good. and some others are too. but those that pretend, by omission, that a lot of the movie doesn't just plain suck (bar scene I'm looking at you) are just putting on rose colored glasses and being too fanboy, in my opinion.
The bar scene is widely looked at as one of the highlights of the movie. When a friend who I recommended Twin Peaks to got to FWWM, one of the first things he said about it was how that sequence was amazing.

Because clearly you know what I like better than I do.

We aren't fucking pretending to like it. You don't know my tastes and opinions better than me.

People can and should embrace differing opinions. But they can fuck right off if they're going to second guess that I like what I tell them I like. Any opinions you have about *my* opinion, you can throw in the trash where they belong thank you.

Some people love FWWM. Some don't. It's still required viewing for the show. Telling someone to skip a movie they might love, and giving them the factually incorrect impression that there is a consensus that the movie is bad, is stupid, and people should stop it.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The bartender in the show, didn't he died in the first season or am I thinking of someone else?
He did. This guy has a slightly different name. They probably hired him as a Lynchian joke or as a favour to help cover his bills, since he has some pretty bad health problems and iirc needs surgery.

Amagon

That was Jacques Renault. Leland killed him in season 2.

The same actor is playing Jean Michel Renault in this series. A different character.

He did. This guy has a slightly different name. They probably hired him as a Lynchian joke or as a favour to help cover his bills, since he has some pretty bad health problems and iirc needs surgery.
Ahh k, I knew I wasn't going crazy. Thanks.

There is a big question mark on whether or not he needs money for surgery as he claims. Just FYI. I haven't dug too deep on it, but it seems to be a controversial subject amongst fandom. I think people gave money and he used it for something else, or something like that.

Zach

It's a great movie. I guess I'm just pretending, though.

gun_haver

There is a big question mark on whether or not he needs money for surgery as he claims. Just FYI. I haven't dug too deep on it, but it seems to be a controversial subject amongst fandom. I think people gave money and he used it for something else, or something like that.

Now this is just too much. Who cares. He's a great part of the show, pay the man.

big ander

So i got 2 versions of FWWM both named the same only one runs around 90 mins and the other around 135 mins. So which is the movie and which is the deleted scenes? And with which one do i start?

Just told my gf that we still have a movie plus deleted scenes to watch before starting Season 3. That deff made her day good since she has to work now.
The longer one is the actual movie, and the missing pieces runs about 90 minutes. Watch the movie first for sure.

gun_haver

I can see how people could be critical of Twin Peaks in general but FWWM is like, top 3 out of all the 'things' you could watch to do with Twin Peaks so far, including the new series.

Now this is just too much. Who cares. He's a great part of the show, pay the man.

I have no problems with him being in the show. I love Jean Michel Renault. Just wanted to address the point someone raised about him needing the money for surgery, because I've heard a lot to suggest that isn't true.

That's all.

Closer Two

I only saw FWWM earlier this year so I don't think nostalgia has anything to do with it and I don't think the film is perfect so I'm not much of a fanboy. I can understand having a problem with the Bowie scenes that don't go anywhere or the opening with Kiefer Sutherland. We don't get enough time with those new FBI characters to really care about them.

But The Pink Room scene is one of the best in Twin Peaks. How anyone could hate that sleazy blues bar is beyond me. It finally gave us a first hand look at what Laura Palmer was getting up to. Which in the original show was regulated to stories and her diary. Really hitting home the reality of it. I always felt the original series existed in this idyllic tv show land due to the network constraints and the soundtrack. But then we get this scene with a song that sounds nothing like anything we're heard before with images you'd never associate with the show.

Zach

I really love the beginning of Fire Walk with Me now. The first time I watched the movie, I was all like "where is Coop?!" etc. like I think many do. But when you know what to expect, it's really, really great. And humorous. And thematically interesting.

Kadayi

Banned
But The Pink Room scene is one of the best in Twin Peaks. How anyone could hate that sleazy blues bar is beyond me. It finally gave us a first hand look at what Laura Palmer was getting up to. Which in the original show was regulated to stories and her diary. Really hitting home the reality of it. I always felt the original series existed in this idyllic tv show land due to the network constraints and the soundtrack. But then we get this scene with a song that sounds nothing like anything we're heard before with images you'd never associate with the show.

Yeah, that scene is great. Firstly because that tune is fantastic, secondly because it's realistic in that you can't hear things in that kind of a setting with the music blaring.

Also is it Sunday? I think it's fucking Sunday? Rocking good news.

Zach

Yeah, that scene is great. Firstly because that tune is fantastic, secondly because it's realistic in that you can't hear things in that kind of a setting with the music blaring.
Unless you're watching the DVD. Like I did when I watched for the first time. It's much better without the dialog volume turned up. I don't know why they did that.

munchie64

Pink room scene is great. First time I watched it, the version didn't have subtitles so I didn't get a lot of the crazy dialogue but the acting/directing's good enough that I still felt all the emotional beats of the scene. With Laura especially.

LProtag

FWWM is, when separated from the Twin Peaks of the show, a really well done look into the horror of abuse.

And when you attach it to the rest of Twin Peaks, it adds a perfect sense of context to what was going on.

I don't think it was perfect, but I enjoyed it a great deal.

Mr. Doop

Tonight's episode is just going to be James Hurley walking around being cool and staring at different groups of women for an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom