• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moff

I don't know what Twin Peaks was "supposed" to be, but I'm glad it turned into what we're seeing.

The first two season were obviously different and a much more approachable mix of Lynch Madness, Mystery and Soap Opera.

I realized Season 3 would be pure Lynch after very few minutes of the first episode and am honestly baffled there are still people watching who want it to be something else and keep shitting on it in this thread. It's almost as bad as the game of thrones book reader thread.
that's hyperbole, nothing comes close to that

Chumley

Banned
Bam is right in that this season has no focus and is seemingly a hodge podge of whatever Lynch wanted to throw at the wall. It's thought provoking in fleeting moments but is almost unacceptably scattershot and IMO would be getting harder critiscm if not for Lynch's good will. We're all just assuming there's a payoff and purpose to this but it may never come.

Flipyap

Good point, but so few characters have been "with Bob" that I have to wonder who else they could possibly put in that role. With Chet it's at least plausible he could have met Bob since he seemed to be taken by the lodge.

Also, that GIF is fantastic ha ha

I wouldn't be surprised if a real Twin Peaks pachinko machine existed somewhere given how popular the original series was in Japan.
Wouldn't it be amazing if it were Leland? Laura would also work, but an interdimensional voice modulator sounds a little too gimmicky and I doubt Lynch would want to damage his image of Laura as a perfect being of golden light.
A Palmer developing a longing for their parasite would take the story in a much more interesting direction than associating Bob with a minor character (and a celebrity cameo).

The new show probably erased the need for a Twin Peaks pachinko, its existence simply wouldn't feel like a cruel cosmic joke anymore.
Now, Ronnie Rocket: The Pachinko, that sounds about right. Get on it, Konami!

I'm probably late on the uptake on this, but rewatching I just realized Linda (mentioned in Part 1 to be remembered with Richard by the Giant/????) is mentioned in Part 6 as someone the trailer park owner knows, and of course is the woman in the wheelchair we see in Part 7.

Probably late to the plate on that one, but just put it together myself.
Wait, what woman in what wheelchair? The only person in a wheelchair that I can remember is Beverly's husband Tom. Is... is Tom secretly Linda? Two birds with one stone?

Real Hero

Bam is right in that this season has no focus and is seemingly a hodge podge of whatever Lynch wanted to throw at the wall. It's thought provoking in fleeting moments but is almost unacceptably scattershot and IMO would be getting harder critiscm if not for Lynch's good will. We're all just assuming there's a payoff and purpose to this but it may never come.
The season has a specific focus on cooper leaving the black lodge and his doppelganger

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
If we're being specific the new season is "Cooper's odyssey to return to Twin Peaks". But whatever, at this point, if you don't have the patience to endure the pacing, I think you should wait until September and binge watch it. Because it might be like this all the way until the climax. EDIT: That is not to say that I understand complaints that this doesn't feel like TP, it feels different really, but I think it's because we're still in the mode of setting up the climax, we might get more character drama down the road. At the end of the day this is a 18 hour movie.

Wait, what woman in what wheelchair? The only person in a wheelchair that I can remember is Beverly's husband Tom. Is... is Tom secretly Linda? Two birds with one stone?

Yeah, I rewatched episode 7 yesterday and I don't remember any woman on a wheelchair. Am I going insane?

Not sure why this has to be reiterated in this thread, but you only get the choice of enjoying or not enjoying Twin Peaks, you do not get to define what it is. Fans are not entitled to that. The worst thing a fan can do is take ownership. As soon as they do they that they close their minds.

That's not to say fans shouldn't emulate and create based on their love for a piece of art, but you have no right to tell an artist what they made is not true to its spirit.

gun_haver

Not sure why this has to be reiterated in this thread, but you only get the choice of enjoying or not enjoying Twin Peaks, you do not get to define what it is. Fans are not entitled to that. The worst thing a fan can do is take ownership. As soon as they do they that they close their minds.

That's not to say fans shouldn't emulate and create based on their love for a piece of art, but you have no right to tell an artist what they made is not true to its spirit.

i dunno why people keep saying this, it's obvious. a work of art is a work of art, it isn't unimpeachable. let people talk. the 'you do not get to define this' talk is indistinguishable from the 'you do not get to criticise this' talk.

it's just a show. i love dave but he goes off on nonsense sometimes and it's fine. people can say what they want man.

Kadayi

Banned
MORE DOUGIE IN TWO HOURS FOLKS

Into my veins now man...

Also, I doubt that Showtime wouldn't have commissioned the series if they thought Lynch and Frost were just going to troll everyone for the entire season with Dougie. The set up is clearly an eventual showdown between good and bad Coop, and I dare say after Spike tried to assassinate Dougie that word of Cooper will reach the FBI (his prints are going to get flagged when they dust Spikes gun).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Yeah, I was mistaken about the Part 7 thing, only rewatching Part 7 now and soon onto 8. Hopefully be done for the live premiere of 9.

Does David Lynch post on GAF? I'm pretty sure no one is telling him anything here.

Levito

Banned
There are 30 previous episodes that can give you an idea.

Totally. Twin Peaks was so much better when James was driving off to other towns, Nadine was a teenage cheerleader with super strength, and the mayor was ruining beauty pageants with his mistress. This new season is an affront to just how incredible the second season was. Everyone involved, including those of you in this thread that enjoys this sick filth should be ashamed.

Totally. Twin Peaks was so much better when James was driving off to other towns, Nadine was a teenage cheerleader with super strength, and the mayor was ruining beauty pageants with his mistress. This new season is an affront to just how incredible the second season was. Everyone involved, including those of you in this thread that enjoys this sick filth should be ashamed.

Nitpick: Nadine always had super strength.

I'm honestly terrified to see what happens with the girl. I've seen theories about
her being incepted to open a passage for the experiment, becoming Judy, banishing Jeffries to the Black Lodge after he discovers her plan, and fouding the company operating the box in NY

I'm honestly terrified to see what happens with the girl. I've seen theories about
her being incepted to open a passage for the experiment, becoming Judy, banishing Jeffries to the Black Lodge after he discovers her plan, and fouding the company operating the box in NY

The girl is actually
the horse.

HotHamBoy

In regards to Laura being Neo I found what the Log Lady tells her in FWWM very interesting. "When this kind of fire starts it is very hard to put out. The tender boughs of innocence burn first and the wind rises and then all goodness is in jeopardy."

Log Lady is just talking about loss of innocence, corruption of the spirit, etc.

Laura is not Neo.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Log Lady is just talking about loss of innocence, corruption of the spirit, etc.

Laura is not Neo.

Yeah, if anything Laura served as a distraction towards the possibility of the destruction of Bob.

Or it might have something to do with the shinning light inside her head and why she was sucked into the Red Room's roof.

grumpy

Yeah, if anything Laura served as a distraction towards the possibility of the destruction of Bob.

Or it might have something to do with the shinning light inside her head and why she was sucked into the Red Room's roof.

I always thought that the "light" signified the exit of the black lodge. Like she used the power of the lodge to show Cooper out and got her ass handed to her by higher-ranked powers inside the lodge or something like that.

The girl is actually
the horse.

551247372_1280x688.jpg

Maligna

Banned

And remember that time 2 weeks ago when we watched a nuke go off and then were treated to a screensaver of random flashing lights and colours for like 15 minutes? Genius. /s

The problem with the season for me isn't the slow pace or experimental style. It's that there are barely any character moments. It works on an audiovisual level and is entertaining, but it doesn't really work as an 18 episode TV show (or 18 hour movie or whatever you want to call it).

I mean, movies like Fellini's "La Dolce Vita" is really a 3 hour movie split into 8 parts. But it works because it's based on relatable characters. Movies like Tarkovsky's "The Mirror" work even though all the scenes aren't actually happening, and it's out of order, because it's based on relatable characters. Etc. Even Lynch's more surreal works are based on people's weaknesses, tortured thoughts, insecurities, etc. This especially applies to Fire Walk With Me. I don't really get this feeling at all with any of these episodes.

Maligna

Banned
The problem with the season for me isn't the slow pace or experimental style. It's that there are barely any character moments. It works on an audiovisual level and is entertaining, but it doesn't really work as an 18 episode TV show (or 18 hour movie or whatever you want to call it).

Bingo.

It's that there are barely any character moments.
As much as I love Lynch, this was my most feared aspect of the project- without a balancing force he tends to uh, paint some very cold or alienated or extreme individuals. The cohesive, lived in aspect of familiarity and warmth are parts I find lacking in all of his work- to his strength and weakness.

I love the show, and I love its return- but it is clear that so far we will probably not have the funny, cool mystique feeling of the RR and a cast of kooky locals with dark secrets. It's more just exploring the dark- which is fine, and something I've wanted for years since it ended.

Chumley

Banned

I mean, movies like Fellini's "La Dolce Vita" is really a 3 hour movie split into 8 parts. But it works because it's based on relatable characters. Movies like Tarkovsky's "The Mirror" work even though all the scenes aren't actually happening, and it's out of order, because it's based on relatable characters. Etc. Even Lynch's more surreal works are based on people's weaknesses, tortured thoughts, insecurities, etc. This especially applies to Fire Walk With Me. I don't really get this feeling at all with any of these episodes.

This why my friend hated what she saw of S3 but liked FWWM. There's no humanity to it, just endless surrealism and misogyny (in the first 3 eps at least). Also doesn't help that Lynch fetishizes disabled people as props to make a scene "creepier" or for even worse purposes (her kid is disabled).

Season 2 was far from perfect but at least it was more coherent than this mess. At least season 2 still had the genuine interactions between Cooper and Truman. What we get now is an overacting Naomi Watts going on rants while standing next to a zombie.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Season 2 was far from perfect but at least it was more coherent than this mess.

I wouldn't call it incoherent. It's been rather straightforward in many aspects, and some people here have even criticized the last episode for being too direct.

If you don't like it, that's fine. That's your opinion, and I think we should respect that. But don't start attributing stuff to it that is not true.

EDIT: And you edited your answer. I'd say that's not about coherence, but rather your preferences on character development and interactions.

Big One

Banned
I actually found Episode 8 to be more coherent than most of David Lynch's other works to be honest, despite being generally weirder, lol.

It was actually pretty straight-forward in the story it was telling. There's still a lot of mystery behind it, but the actual conception of Bob and Laura was revealed. That's what was being shown more or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom