• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maligna

Banned
There is a big question mark on whether or not he needs money for surgery as he claims. Just FYI. I haven't dug too deep on it, but it seems to be a controversial subject amongst fandom. I think people gave money and he used it for something else, or something like that.

Now this is just too much. Who cares. He's a great part of the show, pay the man.

Yeah, there are claims he was giving it to his Scientology church. Pretty sure they were legit enough for the organizers of the Twin Peaks Fest to believe them.

the scene is good. and some others are too. but those that pretend, by omission, that a lot of the movie doesn't just plain suck (bar scene I'm looking at you) are just putting on rose colored glasses and being too fanboy, in my opinion.

The bar scene? The fucking Pink Room?? Sucks??

Your opinion is as blank as a fart.

I really love the beginning of Fire Walk with Me now. The first time I watched the movie, I was all like "where is Coop?!" etc. like I think many do. But when you know what to expect, it's really, really great. And humorous. And thematically interesting.

I'd welcome a Chet Desmond cameo. Or just Chris Isaak playing Wicked Game at the Bang Bang would be enough. Book it, Renault!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I said this earlier in the thread, but I was apprehensive a bit to see the film from what I heard when I watched it in 2010, but was surprised how much I ended up liking it.

I said this earlier in the thread, but I was apprehensive a bit to see the film from what I heard when I watched it in 2010, but was surprised how much I ended up liking it.

I love it. The problem it has is getting jeered out of the building at Cannes, so most people with little knowledge of the show just assume it was a terrible film based on this mainstream entertainment news story from the early 90's.

I think opinion has become more favourable over the years.
Mark Kermode loves it.

A week or two ago I was trying to record a song but was feeling particularly uninspired, so I instead decided to recreate the Twin Peaks theme as closely as I could just for the hell of it. Probably came up short in a couple spots but overall I was pretty satisfied with it, just thought I'd share with some people who would appreciate it.

https://soundcloud.com/pushthebuttonmax/theme-from-twin-peaks

This week has gone by SO SLOWLY, glad it's finally Sunday.

EdmondD

Rewatched episode 8 and FWWM. I'm ready for the new episode. It's amazing how much more I understood FWWM compared to when I first watched it. I really should stop pretending to like FWWM though. Sorry for being such a phony guys. It's shit. One of my most wanted cameos is Chet Desmond. I need to know what happened to him.

Dusk Golem

I'm currently rewatching parts 1-8 in preperation for part 9 tonight. Near the end of part 3, picked up on a few small things I missed and some certain elements I'm more mystified about than I was the first time.

Rewatched episode 8 and FWWM. I'm ready for the new episode. It's amazing how much more I understood FWWM compared to when I first watched it. I really should stop pretending to like FWWM though. Sorry for being such a phony guys. It's shit. One of my most wanted cameos is Chet Desmond. I need to know what happened to him.

Make sure you also rewatch The Missing Pieces so you can fake liking it too, you faker.

Here's hoping Chet is the guy impersonating "Philip Jefferies". I'm thinking they might be using him in place of whatever role Bowie was supposed to have on the show.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Any final predictions for tonight?

Mine: We've only seen Dougie have to pee. Tonight we will see what he's like when he as to poo. I predict he shits his pants and Philip Jeffries appears, and Lynch/Frost will reuse the "Oh Mr Jeffries, the shit it come out of my asshole", line from The Missing Pieces.

I wouldn't know whether to cry or laugh to see them having got Bowie to act for one last time just for that. EDIT: Now that I think about it, we still haven't got an episode that is dedicated in memory of David Bowie yet, have we?

I really should stop pretending to like FWWM though. Sorry for being such a phony guys. It's shit.

1%20(2).gif

Rien

Jelly Belly
Just finished ep 22 of the second season.. that was brilliant. That must have been quite something at the time when it was aired. To be honest i have never seen such dark television at all. So the Cooper that came out of the lodge was the doppelganger from the black lodge? And what is the white lodge then? The red room? Doesnt seem to me.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished ep 22 of the second season.. that was brilliant. That must have been quite something at the time when it was aired. To be honest i have never seen such dark television at all. So the Cooper that came out of the lodge was the doppelganger from the black lodge? And what is the white lodge then? The red room? Doesnt seem to me.

Yes, it was the doppelganger, also possessed by BOB.

We still don't know that the White Lodge is, perhaps.

Actually where Cooper was is probably the Red Room, which is kind of a waiting room for the Black Lodge. If I've understood interpretations correctly. Now go watch FWWM and tell us what you think!

tFisE6Sl.png

i rewatched episode 8. it may be the coolest thing he has ever made. previously i considered episode 3 to be the best Twin Peaks episode past the pilot. it is explosively conceptual. they found the thematic core of Twin Peaks and smashed everything together, pulling in all particles and symbols, collapsing the mythology in on itself. the rest is a new creation. the symbolic genesis of Twin Peaks. David Lynch, the god of this universe, standing in front of the atomic explosion that gives birth to Bob (through a stop motion painting experiment that hearkens back to Lynch's early experiments with film as a painter).

YLyUnuhl.png

as always Lynch's work is greatly about the process of creating. the vomiting up of ideas and poems. sometimes you swallow a bug. but there is an odd grace in ugliness. i love the places this takes us. they are finally free to experiment and the new technology (og series had no digital effects to use or new tech like drones to use in getting shots).

wanting the mystery solved is what killed the show the first time around. they wanted them to solve the mystery of who killed Laura. to in Lynch's word "Kill the goose that is laying golden eggs". the atomic nucleus at the center spinning off these glorious mysteries. in episode 8 we literally see that golden egg.

nzSALgel.png

when they solved the murder in season 2, the show lost focus and its original spirit. it debased itself through things like the Miss Twin Peaks beauty contest that was aimed solely at pleasing fans. people stopped watching. there was no mystery. the only thing that made people want a season 3 in the first place was Lynch coming in with the finale of season 2. the finale sabotaged the existing plots and introduced a ton of new mysteries that would go unresolved. this is what made people want a season 3 for so long. mysteries is the engine that makes Twin Peaks happen. mystery is the atomic core of Twin Peaks.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Yes, it was the doppelganger, also possessed by BOB.

We still don't know that the White Lodge is, perhaps.

Actually where Cooper was is probably the Red Room, which is kind of a waiting room for the Black Lodge. If I've understood interpretations correctly. Now go watch FWWM and tell us what you think!

Ow will do! Thanx

I'm currently rewatching parts 1-8 in preperation for part 9 tonight. Near the end of part 3, picked up on a few small things I missed and some certain elements I'm more mystified about than I was the first time.

'Little thing' that I noticed - Bad Coop's fatal face massage being a Woodsmen-style killing, crushing head with bare hands.

What jumped out at you?

Rien

Jelly Belly
Btw, what is the small round pool of water in front of opening of the red room/black lodge? Just an artistic choice or some deeper meaning?

And is Season 3 more in line with the final episode of Season 2? I want more of that

Slime

Banned
Btw, what is the small round pool of water in front of opening of the red room/black lodge? Just an artistic choice or some deeper meaning?

And is Season 3 more in line with the final episode of Season 2? I want more of that

Isn't it a puddle of scorched engine oil or whatever? The Log Lady had a jar of it.

It's irritating how much I've seen this sentiment round the internet. FWWM is amazing and it's final scene worked so perfectly as an ending to the series. So much so I don't know if season 3's ending can live up to it. Not only does it act as an ending but it simultaneously works as a prologue too.

Cooper offering a kind hand on her shoulder as she watches on laughing and crying with relief is such a powerful image to me.

There's a lot of fucking truth in this post.

the scene is good. and some others are too. but those that pretend, by omission, that a lot of the movie doesn't just plain suck (bar scene I'm looking at you) are just putting on rose colored glasses and being too fanboy, in my opinion.

There's a lot of bullshit in this one.

Dusk Golem

'Little thing' that I noticed - Bad Coop's fatal face massage being a Woodsmen-style killing, crushing head with bare hands.

What jumped out at you?

Just small things, in the scene with Cooper floating in the box for some reason Cooper doesn't resize or shrinks and grows within the box. I think the machine in Part 3 he goes through and loses his shoes to turned him into the Dougie we have now, where his head goes crazy and there's smoke coming out of his ears and face I think is what made the Cooper we currently have. In the first part Jerry makes a silly wordplay joke with "Been Ben," I only just caught. The face thing as you mentioned with Frank (I think was his name?). I think the voice on the radio in Part 2 who Mr. C is asking is Jeffries is actually one of the older holders of BOB, with the way he talks about being with BOB again and the way the voice comes in. Just small things, in Part 4 right now.

This episode is going to entirely be a flashback centered on Dougie's life prior to Cooper taking his place.

Or maybe it's going to be a flashforward to 60 years after the end of season 3.

Dusk Golem

Since the actors only saw their lines and worked only on scenes they were in, I have fun imagining what certain actors thought Season 3 must be about from what they were part of.

liquidtmd

Banned
Since the actors only saw their lines and worked only on scenes they were in, I have fun imagining what certain actors thought Season 3 must be about from what they were part of.

Families and friends of the OT cast with bit parts gather round to watch their star shine again about that warm familiar yet slightly off town of Twin Peaks

* huddles round and watches episode 8

"Wtgshysynsbsiysbhshxxzzzzshsyyeu"

"I think I need a drink now"

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Eh, depends if you like the rest of Lynch's work. If you can, I definitely suggest watching Blue Velvet, Eraserhead and Mulholland Drive before going into Season 3.

Or maybe it's going to be a flashforward to 60 years after the end of season 3.

Okay, I thought that nothing in this season would piss me off, but this definitely would.

EdmondD

In regards to Laura being Neo I found what the Log Lady tells her in FWWM very interesting. "When this kind of fire starts it is very hard to put out. The tender boughs of innocence burn first and the wind rises and then all goodness is in jeopardy."

I think with Laura dead that Coop is the last shining beacon of hope. Except for the fact the poor guy is walking around with his brains scrambled thinking he is some dude named Dougie. I'm expecting a very bittersweet ending.

Just small things, in the scene with Cooper floating in the box for some reason Cooper doesn't resize or shrinks and grows within the box. I think the machine in Part 3 he goes through and loses his shoes to turned him into the Dougie we have now, where his head goes crazy and there's smoke coming out of his ears and face I think is what made the Cooper we currently have. In the first part Jerry makes a silly wordplay joke with "Been Ben," I only just caught. The face thing as you mentioned with Frank (I think was his name?). I think the voice on the radio in Part 2 who Mr. C is asking is Jeffries is actually one of the older holders of BOB, with the way he talks about being with BOB again and the way the voice comes in. Just small things, in Part 4 right now.

I wonder if the not-Jefferies was the Woodsman? "I'll be with BOB again", and in 8 a few of them march out of the woods to get their mitts on B(L)OB to take him back to everyone's new favourite fucking horrifying Lynch creation? Just a random thought.

I might re-watch a few episodes now, before doing the early rise for episode 9. I'm ready for whatever Lynch and his frogmoths have in store for us this evening.

Maligna

Banned

The pool is the "scorched engine oil" substance, associated with the black lodge.

Nothing can prepare you for season 3.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait for the episode that's going to feature this song.

In regards to Laura being Neo I found what the Log Lady tells her in FWWM very interesting. "When this kind of fire starts it is very hard to put out. The tender boughs of innocence burn first and the wind rises and then all goodness is in jeopardy."

I think with Laura dead that Coop is the last shining beacon of hope. Except for the fact the poor guy is walking around with his brains scrambled thinking he is some dude named Dougie. I'm expecting a very bittersweet ending.

I'm half expecting a "No More Blue Tomorrows" kind of ending.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Did David Bowie film some scenes for this before he died? That'd be dope if he did.

We don't really know.

But recording for the series begun the September before his passing, like 3 months before. So I find unlikely he did. At that point he must've wanted to spend his remaining time with his family.

An actor or producer did one time say that they were in talks with him to bring him back to the show. And it shows with all the phone calls the characters do with him. Considering that the only character to come back whose actor didn't come back was Major Briggs (and he's probably dead), and Jeffries hasn't had a single line despite all other phone calls where we hear the receiving end, I doubt we're going to get more than him being fridge'd.

liquidtmd

Banned
I can handle Episode 9 not seeing the return of Coop, but for the love of God can we get something other than Dougie repeating merely what people say to him. SOME conversational development.

He was introduced fully in E3. It'll now be E9. Six hours of this. Even the 'its an 18 hour movie' angle doesn't really justify what they are doing here.

I'm a patient viewer. I enjoy a slow burn. Hey, I found E8 interesting if not an entirely enjoyable watch. Outside of Lynch fans though, I really wouldn't recommend this show to anyone. To those who liked Twin Peaks? It isnt that. To newcomers? Nope.

EdmondD

I'm hoping against hope that we see Bowie one last time. That's one of the things I most want from this season. Please great lodge spirits grant my wish.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hoping against hope that we see Bowie one last time. That's one of the things I most want from this season. Please great lodge spirits grant my wish.

You don't want to see him, or you do?

I don't get it!

To be honest, I would fucking lose my shit if I saw David Bowie, or his voice (the one in Episode 1 was most definitely not Bowie and even Mr. C was doubting it was Jeffries).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom