• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are people seeing episode titles?

Sorry I meant the synopsis - each episode has a quote for the synopsis (such as this week's 'this is the chair' and last week's 'gotta light')

So far we're up to part 12 with reveals:

Part 1: My log has a message for you.
Part 2: The stars turn and a time presents itself.
Part 3: Call for help.
Part 4: ...brings back some memories.
Part 5: Case files.
Part 6: Don't die.
Part 7: There's a body all right.
Part 8: Gotta light?
Part 9: This is the chair.
Part 10: Laura is the one.
Part 11: There's fire where you are going.
Part 12: Let's rock.

Personally, after today's episode I think 11 will be The Log Lady speaking to Hawk before the Sheriff's department head to Garland's location as it echoes her FWWM scene.

So is this Twin Peaks Vs The Berenstain Rift?

I'm intrigued to see how these converging plot lines will make sense of what seems to be a confirmed non-linear narrative. The focus on dates in Part 9 marking the Twin Peaks investigation as 9 days ahead of the FBI one could make for some screwy stuff happening with whatever this 10/1 + 10/2 event is.

I had to watch again to check, but when Matthew Lillard signs and dates the photo of Briggs, he writes 9/29 - not 9/20 (it's hard to see the vertical line on the second 9) - the same date as the Twin Peaks investigation.

T7tWXLO.png

I had to watch again to check, but when Matthew Lillard signs and dates the photo of Briggs, he writes 9/29 - not 9/20 (it's hard to see the vertical line on the second 9) - the same date as the Twin Peaks investigation.

Oh damn, you're right. The vertical line blended into the other picture. (EDIT: Yeah, the screenshot above makes it clear) The shot doesn't hold very long and it looked like a "0" on first glance.

WELP

I still have my Briggs weirdness to fall back on.

Oh damn, you're right. The vertical line blended into the other picture. (EDIT: Yeah, the screenshot above makes it clear) The shot doesn't hold very long and it looked like a "0" on first glance.

WELP

I still have my Briggs weirdness to fall back on.

I could have sworn he said 9/20 and who writes a 9 like that?

Not Bill Hastings.

Futureman

Looks like 9/20 to me. You can compare with the 9 he wrote for September. It's definitely not the same as the number on the end. Why would you write your 9s so differently? I do see the seed line coming down but don't think that's a 9...

T7tWXLO.png

It looks like a 20 to me but he does seem to write his 9 in an odd fashion and it looks like he may have been trying to complete one with that vertical line underneath.

I shouldn't complain, I do a terrible 4.

Edit: Does he say 9/20?

With Au Revoir Simone reappearing, I'm wondering if that was supposed to signify that scene happened back at the end of part four? I mean, It could mean nothing of significance, but if time is jumping around a bit it's worth thinking about.

Did anyone notice the fog over the forest was moving in the correct direction this time?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Sorry I meant the synopsis - each episode has a quote for the synopsis (such as this week's 'this is the chair' and last week's 'gotta light')

So far we're up to part 12 with reveals:

Part 1: My log has a message for you.
Part 2: The stars turn and a time presents itself.
Part 3: Call for help.
Part 4: ...brings back some memories.
Part 5: Case files.
Part 6: Don't die.
Part 7: There's a body all right.
Part 8: Gotta light?
Part 9: This is the chair.
Part 10: Laura is the one.
Part 11: There's fire where you are going.
Part 12: Let's rock.

Personally, after today's episode I think 11 will be The Log Lady speaking to Hawk before the Sheriff's department head to Garland's location as it echoes her FWWM scene.

So is this Twin Peaks Vs The Berenstain Rift?

We actually also have Part 13's description since a few weeks ago, which is,"What story is that, Charlie?"

Also I must of missed it, but when was "This is the chair." said in this episode?

man made an itchy arm rash one of the grossest things i've seen all year. damn, I was cringing during that scene.

cool to see that girl again so shortly after Baby Driver btw.

Tim Roth popping up was a pleasant surprise.

The Lucy and Andy scenes are so bad. They used to be sweet and adorable. Now it's just stupid and annoying.

Albert and the pathologist are going to make the greatest couple ever.

Fuck you, Tammy.

Dusk Golem

Very excited for what is going to happen when Bobby, Hawk and Truman go to that place on that date.

Loved that episode, and it had a lot more music than normal.

Half way through!

Honestly I think it's going to be a portal into another world, William in this say episode mentions that Ruth was real good at uncovering stuff and by being at a certain place at a certain time you could enter into these alternate worlds, which is what he and she did and met Briggs there. Since Briggs leaves a place and time to be there, I'm pretty sure they're going places.

Betty Briggs says it when retrieving the canister thing for Bobby etc.

I think.

That had to be it, I don't recall hearing the line specifically but to be honest my attention was probably on something else in that scene because I was engaged by the set-up and Briggs talk with Bobby from last season it may have gone right by me.

Dusk Golem

Sorry to double post, but I actually just put something together.

This whole season Mr. C has been looking for coordinates and showed a symbol on Part 2. Then this episode the Twin Peaks sheriff department found coordinates and a time with the same symbol on it. So probably whatever they're going to find there is the thing Mr. C has been looking for the whole season and the information he wanted that Ray has.

that could be the case. I hope its next week that we see the sheriff and deputies investigate that message. they've got me fiending with that tease of the boys together on the trail.

btw the shot of the 3 goofy cops as they held up that ice pick dwarf was hilarious, one of the funniest moments in the show for me.

With Au Revoir Simone reappearing, I'm wondering if that was supposed to signify that scene happened back at the end of part four? I mean, It could mean nothing of significance, but if time is jumping around a bit it's worth thinking about.

Did anyone notice the fog over the forest was moving in the correct direction this time?

The 'isolated' performances (ie not attached to any dialogue), I'm not thinking they need to fit into the established narrative happening in Twin Peaks in anything like the order they've been shown.

Au Revoir Simone are wearing the same outfits in both appearances, for example.

Then you've got a possible difference in date on which the TP events are unfolding compared to everything else. So maybe on September 19th when Mr C gets shot, "the" Nine Inch Nails were performing at the Roadhouse... before Chromatics perform there in Part 2. I'll have to do some maths to figure out what happens exactly when though, but that's the kind of dumb fun I like to have.

that could be the case. I hope its next week that we see the sheriff and deputies investigate that message. they've got me fiending with that tease of the boys together on the trail.

btw the shot of the 3 goofy cops as they held up that ice pick dwarf was hilarious, one of the funniest moments in the show for me.

Im fiending for it too. Seems like it will be pretty fucking amazing.

I was happy to see Au Revoir Simone again. I have been binge listening to them for the last week or so.

The 'isolated' performances (ie not attached to any dialogue), I'm not thinking they need to fit into the established narrative happening in Twin Peaks in anything like the order they've been shown.

Au Revoir Simone are wearing the same outfits in both appearances, for example.

Then you've got a possible difference in date on which the TP events are unfolding compared to everything else. So maybe on September 19th when Mr C gets shot, "the" Nine Inch Nails were performing at the Roadhouse... before Chromatics perform there in Part 2. I'll have to do some maths to figure out what happens exactly when though, but that's the kind of dumb fun I like to have.

I happily await your timeline deductions!

Dusk Golem

So if the site was last updated in November, 2015 and this series is taking place in 2015 and it's September as of Part 9, couldn't that possibly mean something?

When Hastings is describing his encounter with Major Briggs, it sounds like the soot people are present right?
With the guy repeating "What's your wife's name? What's your wife's name?"

Sounds like the Woodsman's "Gotta light?"

What I'm wondering is why tf Major Briggs' head just disappears and his body stays during that scene.
Hastings doesn't mention seeing Ruth's body disappearing, so where did that go?

Katori

It was a solid episode, but it was mostly just characters figuring out things we already knew, plus some cool stuff with Bobby and Bill Hastings, and a complete waste of Tim Roth...he showed up and I was like "Really? People have been speculating for almost a year now, for this?"

Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost confidence in Lynch and it would be hard-if-not-impossible to top the last episode. But I want more mystery, not 55 minutes of exposition that I already mostly knew. Maybe this episode was necessary to explain stuff to those who aren't obsessive watchers and theorists. But I didn't feel like it was. The 2 week break didn't help.

Greatly looking forward to next week. Maybe what happens "in 2 days" will lead to the Twin Peaks crew reuniting with GoodCoop('s body).

So if the site was last updated in November, 2015 and this series is taking place in 2015 and it's September as of Part 9, couldn't that possibly mean something?

Well it could mean that he's cleared of any charges and released by then. Which at this point I fucking hope he is. The dude is clearly innocent.

It was a solid episode, but it was mostly just characters figuring out things we already knew, plus some cool stuff with Bobby and Bill Hastings, and a complete waste of Tim Roth...he showed up and I was like "Really? People have been speculating for almost a year now, for this?"

Something tells me we haven't seen the last of Hutch. So I wouldn't presume that was 'it' just yet.

Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost confidence in Lynch and it would be hard-if-not-impossible to top the last episode. But I want more mystery, not 55 minutes of exposition that I already mostly knew. Maybe this episode was necessary to explain stuff to those who aren't obsessive watchers and theorists. But I didn't feel like it was. The 2 week break didn't help.

Greatly looking forward to next week. Maybe what happens "in 2 days" will lead to the Twin Peaks crew reuniting with GoodCoop('s body).
I rewatched all 8 parts last Tuesday before watching Part 9. I didn't find it overly redundant. Maybe it confirmed things you thought we already knew, that we didn't actually already know.

Like, yes, I too was confident Mr C was behind the attempts on Dougie's life, but it wasn't confirmed until last night. I was confident Bill Hastings was innocent, but that wasn't confirmed last night, even if it was strongly suggested.

Did anyone else think Betty was about to pull out the lock box with the dossier in it during that scene in the sheriff's office?

That message capsule was really cool all the same. I had a dream about one last night.

To be fair, the main conflict in the current season is the two Coopers, which none of the characters have any understanding of. This episode was cool because it wasn't answering questions as much as putting things into motion and showing how some things are connected (and how some things might not be what they seem, regarding the text message)

They needed an episode like this after last week. I'd pretty much guarantee it's not the last we've seen of crazy experimental fuckery but we're half way through the show, time to tell a story. Lol

They started the season by saying "look how big everything is" and asking more questions than it seemed reasonable to answer but this is the first sign of everything starting to funnel back down

I'd call it a solid episode too, but I think you are short selling the mystery. And also characters have to figure things out. It's unavoidable that we have characters saying things we know. You just hope it's presented in an interesting way. Which they mostly succeeded at here.

I doubt that's the last we see of Tim Roth or Jennifer Jason Lee. The Bill Hastings revelations only added more questions. Johnny and Sylvia Horne was out of no where. What's with the Bad Coop and Diane texting? The trail to finding Cooper is getting longer and closer to other characters. It's going to be real interesting when Cooper is finally discovered. I'm thinking someone is going to have to pull him out of his state.

Dusk Golem

When Hastings is describing his encounter with Major Briggs, it sounds like the soot people are present right?
With the guy repeating "What's your wife's name? What's your wife's name?"

Sounds like the Woodsman's "Gotta light?"

What I'm wondering is why tf Major Briggs' head just disappears and his body stays during that scene.
Hastings doesn't mention seeing Ruth's body disappearing, so where did that go?

Before this episode aired when I was marathoning the episodes, I was wondering why there's a big motif for heads being detached from bodies in general this season.

Ruth's head is detached from her body and put over Major Brigg's body, plus we see his head floating in space. The first Woodman we see his body disappears and his head floats away. When Dougie is brought to the Waiting Room his head disappears and black smoke pours out then a head similar to the Experiment's floats onto screen.

I think there was one other thing, but it's been reoccurring this season and I still don't know if it means something or not.

I'd call it a solid episode too, but I think you are short selling the mystery. And also characters have to figure things out. It's unavoidable that we have characters saying things we know. You just hope it's presented in an interesting way. Which they mostly succeeded at here.

I doubt that's the last we see of Tim Roth or Jennifer Jason Lee. The Bill Hastings revelations only added more questions. Johnny and Sylvia Horne was out of no where. What's with the Bad Coop and Diane texting? The trail to finding Cooper is getting longer and closer to other characters. It's going to be real interesting when Cooper is finally discovered. I'm thinking someone is going to have to pull him out of his state.

Also keep in mind when it comes to Diane and Mr C the text Diane receives is in all caps which is not the way Mr C sends it. Whats the deal with that? And was the message referring to the Meeting Room?

This is feeling more and more like the extended cut.

I'm picturing the editors for this show, and there's no one there.

Reign this in already there's too much meandering bloat.

Though it's still the best show on tv at the moment.

No big Dougie scenes, though looks like a convergence is up next ep.

IronRinn

I doubt that's the last we see of Tim Roth or Jennifer Jason Le[igh]. The Bill Hastings revelations only added more questions. Johnny and Sylvia Horne was out of no where. What's with the Bad Coop and Diane texting? The trail to finding Cooper is getting longer and closer to other characters. It's going to be real interesting when Cooper is finally discovered. I'm thinking someone is going to have to pull him out of his state.
Christ, I had a nagging feeling of sort of recognizing the actress but I could not figure it out. Of course it's her!

WriterGK

It was okayish in my opinion. But they really gotta pick up the pace. For me its been a while since I saw great episodes from this show.

There may be bloat, but isn't it premature to say? We don't know what adds up to what yet. Or do you just mean longer held shots? Sure I get not liking those things, but Lynch sure loves to linger in a place. I'm sure he insisted on those kinds of things. He loves a mood and getting lost in it. I'm not sure how you edit that except to your own personal feeling. That's just going to turn off a lot of people. Don't think Lynch cares.

3rdman

iJ0QCHH.jpg

Posing like she's doing a photoshoot while Dern is like "is this girl for real?"

I read somewhere that her character is basically a commentary on all the numerous shows that manage to employ models as techs or forensics experts. Somehow though, on those shows, the older men are never seen as lecherous as Lynch is seen here and perhaps that too is part of the commentary.

The scene you refer to is as good a confirmation of this theory as any.

In some ways, Lynch is doing exactly what the networks would have demanded of him...show hot girls. But in this case, he simply stripped the veneer and puts Chrysta Bell on display without the troublesome details like plot, acting, or dialogue.

Corpsepyre

Banned
So, the website on the Zone is up. Anyone notice the year on there? 1997. Same year that the police officers mention about Dougie and how there's nothing about him before that year. Very interesting.

Well, it obviously points them to the existence of two Coopers. Major Briggs also showed Cooper that same exact paper in season 2(?)--though, it was a bigger piece with 5 Coopers.

Sorry I mean is the half Cooper significant. Is it inplying Briggs knows or is trying to say DougieCoop is only half of himself? And if so would that mean that another Coop, other than DoppleCoop is also somewhere?

Sorry I mean is the half Cooper significant. Is it inplying Briggs knows or is trying to say DougieCoop is only half of himself? And if so would that mean that another Coop, other than DoppleCoop is also somewhere?

It could refer to the original Dougie who was created by Doop and could be seen as less-than-a-full copy of Cooper. Or, like I said, this paper is cut from the larger one that had 5 Coopers. So, it could just be a remnant of that.

IronRinn

I'm starting to see why Sherilyn Fenn had a little Twitter meltdown about this season. Going into episode 10 and still no Audrey. It's a crime!

Cheebo

Banned

These episodes are paced like David Lynch films. He isn't restrained by network tv norms so they feel more in like with how David Lynch directs films.

It was okayish in my opinion. But they really gotta pick up the pace. For me its been a while since I saw great episodes from this show.
Episode 8 was easily the most critically acclaimed episode of the series so far, bar none. If you didn't like that episode this show ain't for you.

Episode 8 was easily the most critically acclaimed episode of the series so far, bar none. If you didn't like that episode this show ain't for you.

Let's not do this.

Brad Dukes, who wrote Reflections (IE the book on the series) who is loving almost every episode of the new series didn't like Part 8 at all. And that's fine. The show is definitely for him. He loved Part 9.

If you've enjoyed most the episodes, the show is for you.

Dusk Golem

I think pace comments are based on the weekly format honestly. I watched all nine parts yesterday with a few people, a group of 13 people. A few had seen Parts 1-4 before, some saw all eight parts aired at then (but of course we all went blind into 9), some had seen Twin Peaks previous stuff but not this season yet, some hadn't seen Twin Peaks before but we caught them up on the important bits.

All of them ended up liking it a lot, we went through all 9 parts. Seeing all 9 parts together strangely makes the show feel like it's going a lot faster than I think it seems when you're watching week by week. I warned ahead of time it's a bit slow paced, but it goes by surprisingly fast when watching in succession.

Flipyap

iJ0QCHH.jpg

Posing like she's doing a photoshoot while Dern is like "is this girl for real?"
That scene was when Tammy finally clicked for me. She's like a kid playing dress-up. It's like she's mimicking what she thinks attractive grown-up women act like, but it only ever comes out looking comical.
I've grown to accept her the same way I accept Lucy and Andy's existence - as a creature from the cartoon dimension. #SearchForTheNickelodeonZone

I read somewhere that her character is basically a commentary on all the numerous shows that manage to employ models as techs or forensics experts. Somehow though, on those shows, the older men are never seen as lecherous as Lynch is seen here and perhaps that too is part of the commentary.

The scene you refer to is as good a confirmation of this theory as any.

In some ways, Lynch is doing exactly what the networks would have demanded of him...show hot girls. But in this case, he simply stripped the veneer and puts Chrysta Bell on display without the troublesome details like plot, acting, or dialogue.
Nah, that's pretty much his real life relationship with his "muse." You really, really do not need to force Lynch to film hot girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom