• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
For God sake.. I avoid all spoilers then I click play on now tv to watch the episode and what do I get? A massive splash screen of Audrey while the episode loads..nice work guys!

That's got to be aggravating, especially when most of the Now TV thumbnails so far haven't corresponded with the episodes they're linked to.

Chumley

Banned
I'm imagining the reactions of everyone when Lynch and Frost do the Dr. Amp scene for the fifth time, except halfway through a woodsman walks in, crushes Jacoby's head, and Nadine freaks out at her screen after watching the whole thing.

That's the only way the constant repeats of that scene would end up being worthwhile.

PolishQ

I'm imagining the reactions of everyone when Lynch and Frost do the Dr. Amp scene for the fifth time, except halfway through a woodsman walks in, crushes Jacoby's head, and Nadine freaks out at her screen after watching the whole thing.

Or the woodsman puts Nadine to sleep, and a frogmoth emerges from her mouth...

Dan-o

^
.retaw eht si sihT
.llew eht si siht dnA
.dnecsed dna lluf knirD
.nihtiw krad dna seye eht fo etihw eht si esroh ehT

Alternatively...
˙ɹǝʇɐʍ ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
˙ןןǝʍ ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ upɐ
˙puǝɔsǝp puɐ ןןnɟ ʞuıɹp
˙uıɥʇıʍ ʞɹɐp puɐ sǝʎǝ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝʇıɥʍ ǝɥʇ sı ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ

The point I'm making is this:

By demanding the mystery be solved, we got 18 episodes with interesting twists and turns leading to an incredible reveal for the killer and a solid resolution for the main plot.

If Lynch had his way, we would have gotten 30+ episodes that would have eventually worn out the premise, the killer would have never been revealed and the main plot would have gone unresolved.

I say the first option is much better, because no matter how bad the subsequent episodes/seasons are, the first 18 are still an excellent and complete arc. It's really ironic in light of the new season, actually, that the original run of TP proved you can tell a stellar story in 18 episodes.

I'm glad that they were forced to reveal the killer because otherwise I would have been deprived of one of the most disturbing scenes I've seen on film. It and directly leads the path for what comes after. Yeah, that's a lot of bad but it also brings the finale and FWWM. I wouldn't change that for anything.

EdmondD

I actually like the music performances. A lot of bands I would have never discovered otherwise. I didn't even know who Sharon Van Etten was before this season. I would like more traditional endings like that killer ending for ep 8 but I really dig the music. I would not be surprised that the final few episodes they completely abandon the music performances.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Pretty sure the original 18 episodes will be more coherent and fleshed out as a story than the second 18.

I'm confused. Which are the first 18 and what are the second?

You're actually counting 12 episodes from season 2 with this statement, so in that case I totally agree.

I was going to say if you count the first 18 and then the second 18 of Twin Peaks episodes, the first 18 would be from the pilot until one episode after Leland dies and where Briggs disappears.

Then the next 18 starts with Cooper being kicked out of the FBI to give an excuse on why he's staying in Twin Peaks, Nadine starts properly dating Mike, James meet Evelyn, the mayor Dougie marries Lana and Catherine tells Josie to be her maid, and would end at Part 6 of The Return (or Part 5 if you count Fre Walk With Me as an 'episode", Part 4 if you count Missing Pieces as a separate "episode").

Zach

Jesus, thanks for reminding me about how terrible the opening to FWWM was. Going from that to the brilliance that followed once Coop showed up was the most jarring shift ever.

The beginning of Fire Walk with Me is fantastic. I didn't love it the first time, though. It's really, really good, though, when you know what you're getting into.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The beginning of Fire Walk with Me is fantastic. I didn't love it the first time, though. It's really, really good, though, when you know what you're getting into.

I completely agree with this, I liked FWWM on my first viewing but I didn't really know what to think of the beginning when I first saw it. However I've come to really love the stuff with Chester and Deer Meadow upon rewatches. Also I love the extended and cut scenes from the sequence in Missing Pieces, adds a LOT to the Deer Meadow stuff especially I feel.

EdmondD

I made up a bunch of nicknames for people in this thread for no reason. DarkGollyGee, Levitator9, SamTervitch, KOSootHobo, WindowsVista, PartiallyDead, 22SpiritsV, ChumBoyandSharkGirl, DeadPeopleOnFire, Susann-o, PolishSausage, Sojourner, Cutter, Granola, ReanimatedDonna, LinkToThePastIsTheBestZelda12, FlappyGums, DictatorOral, HashSmokeStoned, ProteinShake, BarkBrick, RumHam, SmallMindedAndy, HornyStabThroat, KnifeOwner, DamnGoodJoDabado, Cinderly, RobotWasteBin, CalzoneHead, Cyber_Destroyer, DudeLivesInThePast,Co-Op, CopyCat.

I made up a bunch of nicknames for people in this thread for no reason. DarkGollyGee, Levitator9, SamTervitch, KOSootHobo, WindowsVista, PartiallyDead, 22SpiritsV, ChumBoyandSharkGirl, DeadPeopleOnFire, Susann-o, PolishSausage, Sojourner, Cutter, Granola, ReanimatedDonna, LinkToThePastIsTheBestZelda12, FlappyGums, DictatorOral, HashSmokeStoned, ProteinShake, BarkBrick, RumHam, SmallMindedAndy, HornyStabThroat, KnifeOwner, DamnGoodJoDabado, Cinderly, RobotWasteBin, CalzoneHead, Cyber_Destroyer, DudeLivesInThePast,Co-Op, CopyCat.
I would sootify myself, but I don't think that would fly well outside TPgaf :lol

giphy.gif

I have a really hard time believe the scene with the french lady wasn't meant to deliberately make folks mad. lol

Nah, I think Lynch just thought it would be sexy as hell to let her do that and funny as hell to make Albert stand there waiting :D

I don't know if it was the intention of the scene, but it seemed like Lynch's character was procrastinating, as if he didn't want to hear what news Albert had about the blue rose case. He could be afraid and tired of the case after the experience he had in the previous episode.

I made up a bunch of nicknames for people in this thread for no reason. , Granola,

Is this me? How flattering!

Levito

Banned

13-dougie-twin-peaks-coffee.w710.h473.jpg

Slaythe

I think you forgot me.

ATGYTSt.gif

mittelos

Small little thing I just noticed re-watching Ep 12, when Hawk pulls up to the Palmer house, the neighbor's yard is lush green- the grass and shrubs bright green and hydrangeas in bloom- while the Palmer yard is dull grayish-brown and the shrubs all look wilted and dying. Not surprising really, but a nice detail I think.

Yamibito

Christ, this thread has gone more places than Carl.

BOB (VINCE) has claimed another victim for the Black Lodge (wwe). I faced my shadow self with imperfect courage and I'm going to watch Smackdown(Annie) tonight.
Smashing your face into a mirror

But instead of a mirror, it's a table

And instead of a possession, you just get CTE

mittelos

Ugh, just realized the scenes with Diane in Ep 12 aren't chronological. We see her first in the Let's Rock scene, wearing a red shirt, the next time we see her is in the hotel bar getting the Las Vegas text, she's wearing the same red shirt. I think these are in order. But the last time we see her (right after the Audrey scene), back in the hotel bar, she recalls the picture that Albert took of Ruth's arm and inputs the coordinates in her phone, but she's wearing the green sweater that she was wearing in Ep 11. I think that scene takes place after the scene in Ep 11, but before the other scenes in Ep 12. Not sure it matters other than to me it confirms there's some time trickery going on...unless it's just continuity/editing.

I don't think "uncelestial" has any wrestling equivalents/sound-alikes so I won't ask.

Ugh, just realized the scenes with Diane in Ep 12 aren't chronological. We see her first in the Let's Rock scene, wearing a red shirt, the next time we see her is in the hotel bar getting the Las Vegas text, she's wearing the same red shirt. I think these are in order. But the last time we see her (right after the Audrey scene), back in the hotel bar, she recalls the picture that Albert took of Ruth's arm and inputs the coordinates in her phone, but she's wearing the green sweater that she was wearing in Ep 11. I think that scene takes place after the scene in Ep 11, but before the other scenes in Ep 12. Not sure it matters other than to me it confirms there's some time trickery going on...unless it's just continuity/editing.
It's just bad editing/continuity management, I'd wager. I can totally imagine Lynch saying "okay we'll put that scene in here" without thinking about whether she wore the green sweater earlier.

Been watching some Lynch stuff for the first time. I saw Mulhullond Drive a few years ago and really liked it. Of what I've watched recently:

Blue Velvet: meh
Eraserhead: wut? Pretty good though
Lost Highway: wut? Pretty great though
Inland Empire: the fuck am I watching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom