• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

AoM

Last two episode titles:

Part 17 -
The past dictates the future
Part 18 -
What is your name?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Sheriff Truman: What is your name?

Dougie: Dougie.

Final line of the series.

Doctor: What is your name?

Cooper: Your...name.

*camera pans to Doctor's name tag, says "Dr. Dale Cooper"*

End

Levito

Banned
I just watched Lost Highway for the first time just now. I think that was the most lost I've been watching a Lynch flick. It was pretty fun though, dude sure loves Rammstein.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I just watched Lost Highway for the first time just now. I think that was the most lost I've been watching a Lynch flick. It was pretty fun though, dude sure loves Rammstein.
Lost Highway is fascinating to me because it's obvious someone who worked at Team Silent on the Silent Hill games LOVED this movie. Out of any Lynch film, Silent Hill 1, 2, & 4 take some stuff directly from Lost Highway. There's things from Lynch's other films in SH, like the closet scenes in Blue Velvet inspiring the closet scene with Pyramid Head in Silent Hill 2, but the SH games, SH2 & SH4 especially, borrow a number of things from Lost Highway specifically.

Dusk Golem

I think the Part 18 title
might be said by Diane, she's twice I believe in this series asked someone what their name is. Most famously is when she says to Tammy, "What's your name again? Fuck you Tammy."

Been watching some Lynch stuff for the first time. I saw Mulhullond Drive a few years ago and really liked it. Of what I've watched recently:

Blue Velvet: meh
Eraserhead: wut? Pretty good though
Lost Highway: wut? Pretty great though
Inland Empire: the fuck am I watching?

Yeah...LH and MD are mostly solvable puzzles. Inland Empire is just there to fuck with you for even trying....

EdmondD

Lost Highway is easily my favorite Lynch film. Muholland Drive is objectively the better film but LH just speaks to me. It really cemented Lynch as one of my favorite directors. It just kind of left me stunned in a good way.

Levito

Banned
Maybe it's just me but I don't think the episode titles warrant a ton of speculation. After "Let's Rock" I think they're intended to throw us off a bit at times.

Lost Highway is easily my favorite Lynch film. Muholland Drive is objectively the better film but LH just speaks to me. It really cemented Lynch as one of my favorite directors. It just kind of left me stunned in a good way.

Both films compliment eachother well for obvious reasons, duality and... LA of course.

Still piecing it together in my head, but that was an excellent film.

Same here. Lost Highway is my favorite film, period.

Dusk Golem

Lost Highway isn't my personal favorite Lynch film, but I think it has some of the creepiest stuff Lynch ever produced personally. The house at the start is just oppressive, the VHS tapes early in are creepy as fuck, and I think the Mystery Man may be the creepiest character Lynch ever made. Not the 'scariest', but the creepiest.

Levito

Banned
Muholland Drive is still my favorite movie of Lynch's, but Lost Highway is pretty fantastic too. Next film of his I gotta watch is Eraserhead.

Lost Highway is fascinating to me because it's obvious someone who worked at Team Silent on the Silent Hill games LOVED this movie. Out of any Lynch film, Silent Hill 1, 2, & 4 take some stuff directly from Lost Highway. There's things from Lynch's other films in SH, like the closet scenes in Blue Velvet inspiring the closet scene with Pyramid Head in Silent Hill 2, but the SH games, SH2 & SH4 especially, borrow a number of things from Lost Highway specifically.

I was actually thinking while watching, Team Silent probably lifted the idea of giving Claudia in SH3 no eyebrows from the Mystery Man in Lost Highway.

Lost Highway isn't my personal favorite Lynch film, but I think it has some of the creepiest stuff Lynch ever produced personally. The house at the start is just oppressive, the VHS tapes early in are creepy as fuck, and I think the Mystery Man may be the creepiest character Lynch ever made. Not the 'scariest', but the creepiest.

Yes, especially given what happened with Robert Blake in real life...

Dusk Golem

Muholland Drive is still my favorite movie of Lynch's, but Lost Highway is pretty fantastic too. Next film of his I gotta watch is Eraserhead.

I was actually thinking while watching, Team Silent probably lifted the idea of giving Claudia in SH3 no eyebrows from the Mystery Man in Lost Highway.

It could be, but for something more direct for SH2, Lost Highway has a
man murder his wife revealed by video tapes and he then meets a woman who looks exactly like his wife but in different clothes.
It's presented very differently but it's pretty obvious the connection when you think about it. Akira and the original series director both commemted the biggest single inspiration for SH was David Lynch, but out of all of his films I think it's Lost Highway that got pulled from the most.

edit: spoiler tagged it in case someone's not seen the film reading.

Levito

Banned
Gotta be honest and say I hadn't seen most of Lynch's work until recently, and watching all of it makes me think Mark Frost really deserves as much credit for Twin Peaks as Lynch. You can see Mark's writing in a lot of the humor especially, that's not really in something like Lost Highway.

It could be, but for something more direct for SH2, Lost Highway has a
man murder his wife revealed by video tapes and he then meets a woman who looks exactly like his wife but in different clothes.
It's presented very differently but it's pretty obvious the connection when you think about it. Akira and the original series director both commemted the biggest single inspiration for SH was David Lynch, but out of all of his films I think it's Lost Highway that got pulled from the most.

edit: spoiler tagged it in case someone's not seen the film reading.

I hadn't thought of it that way but yeah, totally.

EdmondD

Thinking on the trajectory of my experience with Lynch. First ever film I watched was Elephant Man. My dad loved that movie and I have seen it several times. I was a Lynch fan before I even knew who he was. As I got older starting getting into surrealism. This naturally led to seeking out Lynch stuff. Watched Eraserhead and did not understand a damn thing. Was not a huge fan but Lynch had my interest. Watched Blue Velvet and started to "get" Lynch. Reading interpretations really helped with that. Next film was Lost Highway and I was all in. Everything clicked for me and I was a Lynch fan for life. Muholland Drive is a masterpiece. I never cared for Wild at Heart. If I watched it today I would probably feel differently. I like Inland Empire but it's just exhausting to watch. Just fucking nuts.

Twin Peaks is one of the last Lynch things I watched. I actually almost gave up on it in season 1 before it even gets to the really bad parts. I stopped watching for like 8 months. The slow pace and soap opera stuff was too much for me. I knew I had to go back though. Just picked up right where I left off. Powered through the slog of season 2 and by the finale I was so glad I stuck with it. Then I watched FWWM and absolutely adored it. Now, including Season 3 it might be my favorite show of all time. Sorry for the long winded post.

EdmondD

Gotta be honest and say I hadn't seen most of Lynch's work until recently, and watching all of it makes me think Mark Frost really deserves as much credit for Twin Peaks as Lynch. You can see Mark's writing in a lot of the humor especially, that's not really in something like Lost Highway..

Agreed. Frost does not get enough credit. He brings the a lot of the humor and he's the dude making sure all the wacky shit is somewhat comprehensible. It works the other way too. Frost is just as guilty as Lynch for the fuck-ups.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Guess i am not here to often to get a nickname. Thats a real bummer and i couldnt start the day any worse.

Fav Lynch is MD. That is also my fav film ever.

EdmondD

Guess i am not here to often to get a nickname. Thats a real bummer and i couldnt start the day any worse.

Fav Lynch is MD. That is also my fav film ever.

I did think of you but I had trouble coming up with a nickname. Hey, it's the thought that counts right? Here's a quick one: RedHammer.

Rien

Jelly Belly
I did think of you but I had trouble coming up with a nickname. Hey, it's the thought that counts right? Here's a quick one: RedHammer.

Lol. Yeah. I expected something more cheesy but RedHammer has a ring to it. Thanx man!

Been watching some Lynch stuff for the first time. I saw Mulhullond Drive a few years ago and really liked it. Of what I've watched recently:

Blue Velvet: meh
Eraserhead: wut? Pretty good though
Lost Highway: wut? Pretty great though
Inland Empire: the fuck am I watching?

Blue Velvet is great though. I wish Dean Stockwell made it into Peaks.

Dean2.jpg

I adored the soundtrack back in the 90's (and still do). "Funny how secrets travel..." Check it out if you haven't already, and check out Reznor's also-excellent Natural Born Killers soundtrack as well.

Last two episode titles:

Part 17 -
The past dictates the future
Part 18 -
What is your name?

Prediction - "what is your name' will be asked to a character who is not played by Kyle Maclachlan.

A few people in here, or maybe it was the same person saying it multiple times, said that they eventually learned how to watch Blue Velvet so I guess I'm not there yet.

As far as Lynch goes, Velvet is a pretty straightforward affair. If it doesn't do much for you, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

My least favourite Lynch movie is Inland Empire. It took me four attempts to get to the end without falling asleep, although I liked it more once I made it all the way through.

Dusk Golem

Prediction - "what is your name' will be asked to a character who is not played by Kyle Maclachlan.

As far as Lynch goes, Velvet is a pretty straightforward affair. If it doesn't do much for you, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

My least favourite Lynch movie is Inland Empire. It took me four attempts to get to the end without falling asleep, although I liked it more once I made it all the way through.
I would say the best part of Inland Empire is probably the last 30 minutes. I really like the street, theater, & ending scenes.

I would say the best part of Inland Empire is probably the last 30 minutes. I really like the street, theater, & ending scenes.

I agree, shame it took me so long to get there!

I can't pinpoint it exactly, but there's a part in the movie where structure just falls by the wayside and my brain can't cope with whatever's going on. The first hour or so with Justin Theroux, Jeremy Irons and a classic terrifying Grace Zabriskie turn is great and perfectly watchable.

My brain taps out around the Locomotion scene usually.

Mulholland is my favourite Lynch movie, and locked in a perpetual battle for 'best movie of all time' with This is Spinal Tap. I like to think I have varied taste.

Dusk Golem

I agree, shame it took me so long to get there!

I can't pinpoint it exactly, but there's a part in the movie where structure just falls by the wayside and my brain can't cope with whatever's going on. The first hour or so with Justin Theroux, Jeremy Irons and a classic terrifying Grace Zabriskie turn is great and perfectly watchable.

My brain taps out around the Locomotion scene usually.

Mulholland is my favourite Lynch movie, and locked in a perpetual battle for 'best movie of all time' with This is Spinal Tap. I like to think I have varied taste.

I know exactly what you're talking about, there's a really muddled segment in the middle that last for a good while. It's intentional but it doesn't help at all especially on the first viewing. I don't believe anyone who says they watched Inland Empire only once and felt they had even a decent understanding of what the movie is about, I feel like it's purposefully trying to make the audience not understand it initially with how it keeps on changing stories of what's going on scene to scene and the same actors keep on changing roles, it starts becoming too much to keep track of especially when you don't know where the film is going and almost none of it is explained directly so it starts becoming incredibly murky, not helped by things like Lynch using a cheap digital camera and purposefully dirtying the lens to make it harder to see. I get that a big point is that murkiness as our character is losing herself, and I guess in a way it does a wonderful job at capturing the dissonance our lead is experiencing, but that doesn't mean it's especially great to watch, especially on the first viewing.

Inland Empire isn't my favorite Lynch film but I like it more than some, though I can say I think it's by far his most inaccessible film and I don't blame anyone who watches it once and never wants to see it again. The movie does some things very well, I particularly like how it subtly uses various film techniques to throw you off subconsciously, it uses techniques from everything from noire films to horror movies to romance-comedies in unusual ways to make it feel even more off, it has some absolutely terrifying scenes in it, and I think the best part of the film is the beginning and end, but it's such a long movie and so hard to keep track of and there's just such a mess to it which makes it even harder to watch.

I'm waiting for this season to finish before I do a full ranking of Lynch's works for myself, I might rewatch a few I haven't seen in a while or only watched once, but I'm aware I do like Inland empire a bit more than some, but it also doesn't come close to my favorite Lynch work, though there are some scenes in Inland Empire I adore.

I'm waiting for this season to finish before I do a full ranking of Lynch's works for myself, I might rewatch a few I haven't seen in a while or only watched once, but I'm aware I do like Inland empire a bit more than some, but it also doesn't come close to my favorite Lynch work, though there are some scenes in Inland Empire I adore.

I do wonder if Part 8 is going to be the zenith of weirdness for this season, or if Jackrabbit's Palace is going to turn the dial up to Inland Empire levels.

Dusk Golem

I do wonder if Part 8 is going to be the zenith of weirdness for this season, or if Jackrabbit's Palace is going to turn the dial up to Inland Empire levels.

Lynch has a tendency to dial up the weirdness to 11 during the ending acts of his films, you can see this in Eraserhead, Blue Velvet (despite that one being more straight forward even), Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire, Fire Walk With Me, and even the original season 2 finale of Twin Peaks. I would be very surprised if the finale stuff of this season didn't have to do with the two worlds aspect of the series and didn't go into some bizarre territory.

Something I've been contemplating is we haven't had a full dive into the Black Lodge yet in Twin Peaks. We've seen the waiting room and glimpses of the Lodges here and there potentially, but I am wondering if we're being set up for a dive to the wild side eventually. This season has been kind of teasing it on and off the whole season, we have Cooper in the waiting room, the thing coming from the box, Cooper in the Purple Place (be it the White Lodge or elsewhere), then we have Part 8 of course as a 'before everything' origin story, and finding everything is divulging on this one place at this one time which is strongly hinted will be when the worlds connect strongest.

It could go in a radically different direction, I don't know, but I suspect before the season ends at least if not for the finale we're going to go off the deep end at least once more.

Lynch has a tendency to dial up the weirdness to 11 during the ending acts of his films, you can see this in Eraserhead, Blue Velvet (despite that one being more straight forward even), Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire, Fire Walk With Me, and even the original season 2 finale of Twin Peaks. I would be very surprised if the finale stuff of this season didn't have to do with the two worlds aspect of the series and didn't go into some bizarre territory.

Something I've been contemplating is we haven't had a full dive into the Black Lodge yet in Twin Peaks. We've seen the waiting room and glimpses of the Lodges here and there potentially, but I am wondering if we're being set up for a dive to the wild side eventually. This season has been kind of teasing it on and off the whole season, we have Cooper in the waiting room, the thing coming from the box, Cooper in the Purple Place (be it the White Lodge or elsewhere), then we have Part 8 of course as a 'before everything' origin story, and finding everything is divulging on this one place at this one time which is strongly hinted will be when the worlds connect strongest.

It could go in a radically different direction, I don't know, but I suspect before the season ends at least if not for the finale we're going to go off the deep end at least once more.

The very name 'Jackrabbit's Palace' invokes the idea that we're heading for a journey down the rabbit hole. At this point though, we've been waiting so long for their visit that I'm wondering if they'll head there for the finale.

When the heck is Eddie Vedder showing up. That's keeping my hype level up more than "When will Dougie turn into Cooper".

We're also still awaiting musical performances from The Veils and Julee Cruise, who will probably be the last act we see at the Roadhouse.

Reddit delivering more good stuff: https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/6qzzas/s3e12_ts_eliot_and_audrey_horne_is_it_future_or/

This prompted me to listen to Jeremy Irons reading the poem, and learning that Eliot's ashes were buried in my county (about an hour's drive from where I live). https://jeremyirons.net/2014/01/18/jeremy-irons-reads-ts-eliots-four-quartets/

Time present and time past
Are both perhaps present in time future,
And time future contained in time past.
If all time is eternally present
All time is unredeemable.

Reddit delivering more good stuff: https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/6qzzas/s3e12_ts_eliot_and_audrey_horne_is_it_future_or/

This prompted me to listen to Jeremy Irons reading the poem, and learning that Eliot's ashes were buried in my county (about an hour's drive from where I live). https://jeremyirons.net/2014/01/18/jeremy-irons-reads-ts-eliots-four-quartets/

The rotary phone makes me think something is up with that whole scene. It's hard to tell with Lynch.

Airola

My guess for what the title for the last episode is all about:
Coooper, or someone, asks The Giant / ????? "What is your name?"

The Giant / ????? replies: "?????"

The rotary phone makes me think something is up with that whole scene. It's hard to tell with Lynch.

I agree, but then of course next episode we could see Audrey and Charlie hit the Road House and the whole scene turn out to not be a dream (or anything along those lines).

My guess for what the title for the last episode is all about:
Coooper, or someone, asks The Giant / ????? "What is your name?"

The Giant / ????? replies: "?????"

Yeah, that's a damn fine guess. They've hidden his name for a reason.

Airola

Yeah, that's a damn fine guess. They've hidden his name for a reason.

I just realized that as people have thought that maybe ????? is God, it would be cool if he would reveal his name as Yahweh just because, hell, that's a name that was made to be said backwards-forwards! Imagine that being said with his voice in that style! That's a missed opportunity if it doesn't happen, I say!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom