• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach

I'll have to give this a read.

I was just popping in to post this 1990 Lynch quote, that has already been posted but whatevz:

D. Lynch said:
Closure. I keep hearing that word. It's the theater of the absurd. Everybody knows that on television they'll see the end of the story in the last 15 minutes of the thing. It's like a drug. To me, that's the beauty of 'Twin Peaks.' We throw in some curve balls. As soon as a show has a sense of closure, it gives you an excuse to forget you've seen the damn thing.
🤔

Levito

Banned
I feel like a good portion of popular TV shows have infamous endings, or at least finales that fans are split over.

The Sopranos
LOST
Battlestar Galactica
Dexter
True Blood

There's a ton of different examples, in fact I can't think of a beloved show that has a universally loved finale. Hell, I don't even think Breaking Bad's finale was particularly satisfying.

So honestly, I have no idea what to expect from the end of Twin Peaks. But I have a definite feeling it'll be a place both wonderful and strange.

Ashby

I feel like a good portion of popular TV shows have infamous endings, or at least finales that fans are split over.

The Sopranos
LOST
Battlestar Galactica
Dexter
True Blood

There's a ton of different examples, in fact I can't think of a beloved show that has a universally loved finale. Hell, I don't even think Breaking Bad's finale was particularly satisfying.

So honestly, I have no idea what to expect from the end of Twin Peaks. But I have a definite feeling it'll be a place both wonderful and strange.
The Shield

3rdman

The Sopranos
LOST
Battlestar Galactica
Dexter
True Blood

I've only ever scene Battlestar Galactica from that list above and it had gone to the crapper in the last 2.5 years of its existence. If anything the ending was a mercy killing and a welcome end to its decline. :p

Zach

The Sopranos
LOST
Battlestar Galactica
Dexter
True Blood

The Sopranos had the greatest finale of all tiiime, daddeh.

And I'm a-wonderin' if the slow pace of TP3 is leading to an explosion of satisfying goodness unlike anything we've ever felt before on this mortal plane of existence. I'm not predicting that, I'm just wondering. And I'm very interested to see if opinions change if the conclusion is satisfying as fudge.

Only time will tell, I suppose.

awcarew

The Sopranos
LOST
Battlestar Galactica
Dexter
True Blood

Agreed, it's VERY tough to do granted I don't think great shows need "perfect" endings to maintain their legacy. That being said the endings for The Shield, Six Feet Under, Friday Night Lights seems to be universally loved more-so than any other show I can think of. The Shield probably has the best final season of any TV show of all time.

Linkin112

Yeah, I feel like Six Feet Under is the only show I've ever felt satisfied with in its closing moments. That said, I was fine with Breaking Bad's ending and I didn't hate the Lost ending unlike what seems to be 80% of the world.

Random thoughts..

A lot has been made of Lynch's use of slow (or standing) scenes, but little is mentioned of how this is reflected in the soundtrack - BadCoop is introduced with the pop song American Women slowed down until it sounds industrial (and terrifying) and he also uses a similar technique with Moonlight Sonata when the Woodsmen appear when BadCoop has been shot.

PolishQ

Random thoughts..

A lot has been made of Lynch's use of slow (or standing) scenes, but little is mentioned of how this is reflected in the soundtrack - BadCoop is introduced with the pop song American Women slowed down until it sounds industrial (and terrifying) and he also uses a similar technique with Moonlight Sonata when the Woodsmen appear when BadCoop has been shot.

Not to mention the four "Slow Speed Orchestra" tracks from the original series. Here's the first one.

Slaythe

I am completely against "The Sopranos" being in that list to be honest.

The other shows turned to shit and had a shit ending.

The Sopranos did something unique and bold, while the show was still great.

It had concluded all of its plot points.

I am completely against "The Sopranos" being in that list to be honest.

The other shows turned to shit and had a shit ending.

The Sopranos did something unique and bold, while the show was still great.

It had concluded all of its plot points.

It's not a list of shit endings, it's a list of endings that fans are split over (which was definitely the case for The Sopranos).

I was in middle school when the show ended and even I remember the outrage it caused.

big ander

Final Episode:

FRANK TRUMAN: "What is your name?"
DALE COOPER: "Name?"

Freeze frame, sepia filter.

♪ Making your way in the world takes everything you got.
Having a place to forget your worries sure would help a lot.
Wouldn't you like to get away? ♪

("TWIN PEAKS" appears on screen.)

♪ Sometimes you wanna go,
Where everybody knows your name.
And they're always glad you came ♪

(Humorously edited retrospective of all of Dougie's scenes intercut with various insert shots of diner pie and coffee)

♪ You wanna go where you can see,
Our troubles are all the same.
You wanna go where everybody knows your name ♪

(cast photo; fade to black)

would be 100% sincerely okay with this

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Agreed, it's VERY tough to do granted I don't think great shows need "perfect" endings to maintain their legacy. That being said the endings for The Shield, Six Feet Under, Friday Night Lights seems to be universally loved more-so than any other show I can think of. The Shield probably has the best final season of any TV show of all time.

Gotta agree with that, the end of The Shield was perfectly judged. I kind of get the impression that Dexter was going for a similar vibe, but fumbled it catastrophically.

Levito

Banned
Yeah guys it was a list of 'infamous' endings, not necessarily bad. Dexter's ending was hilariously bad though, that poor show got to gutted after season 4.

Lost’s ending was fantastic

I hated it. I watched it as it aired and was in utter disbelief for a bunch of reasons. (wont get into why cause they'd be spoilers)

But it's a perfect example of what I was talking about. People are all over the place with Lost's ending.

Not to mention the four "Slow Speed Orchestra" tracks from the original series. Here's the first one.

It's amazing how much atmosphere can be added by decreasing the tempo like that. It seems to be a central part of his philosophy - slow down and breathe.

Yeah guys it was a list of 'infamous' endings, not necessarily bad. Dexter's ending was hilariously bad though, that poor show got to gutted after season 4.

I hated it. I watched it as it aired and was in utter disbelief for a bunch of reasons. (wont get into why cause they'd be spoilers)

But it's a perfect example of what I was talking about. People are all over the place with Lost's ending.

As far as endings go, I spent the week binge watching Californication for the first time, which features the misadventures of Denise Bryson - back when she was called Hank Moody - in LA. And that didn't end so much as die a slow, laborious death. That said, it did have the perfect ending... three seasons before it actually ended.

Zach

ezgif-1-fd77081bd9dvjz7.gif

g11

The Sopranos
LOST
Battlestar Galactica
Dexter
True Blood

I noped out on Dexter around the time they started hinting Deb wanted to bang her brother, and when my friends who watched it to the end told me how it ended, I refused to believe them. I told them "there's no way they did something that fucking stupid". I refused to believe until they showed me. I honestly still can't believe it.

I don't remember hating how True Blood ended but I don't remember it all that well either.

Sopranos was great.

hydruxo

The Sopranos
LOST
Battlestar Galactica
Dexter
True Blood

That Dexter finale still hurts me to think about. God that show was so good the first 4 seasons. Then it dropped off a cliff but I still watched it to the end hoping maybe it'd change. There were brief moments of brilliance in the last few seasons, but not much. Michael C Hall was great throughout though fortunately.

PolishQ

I noped out on Dexter around the time they started hinting Deb wanted to bang her brother, and when my friends who watched it to the end told me how it ended, I refused to believe them. I told them "there's no way they did something that fucking stupid". I refused to believe until they showed me. I honestly still can't believe it.

I don't remember hating how True Blood ended but I don't remember it all that well either.

Sopranos was great.

I jumped off the Dexter train before the ending so I don't know about that one, but True Blood is probably the most disappointed I've ever been in a finale. It's one of those cases where it retroactively ruined most of the show. And I was enjoying how bonkers it was, even in the late seasons! But now knowing that it leads to that, I just can't recommend it ... other than the first season, which is still fantastic and relatively self-contained.

Turin

Banned

The Sopranos
LOST
Battlestar Galactica
Dexter
True Blood

I don't think Dexter holds up well past Season 1, to be frank.

True Blood was a guilty pleasure at best.

hydruxo

I don't think Dexter holds up very well past Season 1, to be frank.

Season 4 is the best season of the show and a great season of tv in general. 2 and 3 are more up in the air, but I think most people who watched Dexter would agree that season 4 was when the show was at its strongest. There was real tension and stakes with the Trinity Killer.

traveler

Not Wario
Lost's ending wasn't really the problem as there's nothing they could have done in the final two episodes to salvage it in my eyes- that the finale is bad was more just a reflection of the path taken to get there. I hate the time travel stuff, as it breaks all kinds of rules and just cheapened the weight of things. While I enjoyed seasons 3 and 4, they definitely had the first few steps in that direction and then s5 took the show beyond redemption.

Since we're currently talking other shows, I'd put my current 5 favorites somewhat like this: The Wire, Mad Men, Fargo, Twin Peaks, and... I dunno.... Avatar the Last Airbender maybe? I still need to watch Breaking Bad and the Shield, although, from what I hear, Better Call Saul might be more in line with my sensibilities. I do like a good long running, but concluded, serial show with clearly defined and sensible arcs. Last show I tried to watch that was recommended was the Americans, and I actually found the pilot too boring to continue. Maybe I should go back and give it a shot past that.

Zach

I still need to watch The Shield. LOST was a lot of fun. The Wire, The Sopranos, and Breaking Bad are all all-time classics for me. I need to get back into Mad Men -- should probably just start it over -- it was great. I gave up on Dexter after season five didn't do much for me. It was an okay show. I liked it quite a bit there for a bit.

Maligna

Banned
I've actually been enjoying certain Twin Peaks fan films more than the actual season 3. For instance these ones that are winners of the Twin Peaks Festival short film contest.

Here's one about Leland Palmer's childhood summer at Pearl Lakes that he mentioned a few times in the show.
https://vimeo.com/214797328

And here's a trilogy of shorts about an FBI agent coming to Twin Peaks to look for Cooper, 25 years later.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD7Em-FgyeiMKqMGarGqJAqPT6yfZY3bR

g11

I jumped off the Dexter train before the ending so I don't know about that one, but True Blood is probably the most disappointed I've ever been in a finale. It's one of those cases where it retroactively ruined most of the show. And I was enjoying how bonkers it was, even in the late seasons! But now knowing that it leads to that, I just can't recommend it ... other than the first season, which is still fantastic and relatively self-contained.

I don't really remember it that well. I should go back to it at some point. I do remember liking season 3 though I think. The one with Russel Edgington. That guy was fucking crazy. I loved it.

Both were definitely very inconsistent IMO. Dexter had maybe 2 great seasons (S1 & S4) and True Blood had maybe 3 or 4 really great seasons.

Also wasn't The Shield being HD-ified? I always meant to watch that but SD bums me out anymore. S1&2 of Twin Peaks are literally the only episodes of TV I'll watch in 4:3 and that's really only because I don't have a choice. I bought The Wire in HD 16:9 and love it and I don't care that David Simon doesn't like it. Black bars are doo-doo.

Turin

Banned
Season 4 is the best season of the show and a great season of tv in general. 2 and 3 are more up in the air, but I think most people who watched Dexter would agree that season 4 was when the show was at its strongest. There was real tension and stakes with the Trinity Killer.

I think Season 4's overrated but it's definitely the best after S1. Lithgow and Hall were superb.

Maligna

Banned
Even though episode 12 was my least favorite so far, it was one of my favorite to talk about with my Twin Peaks Podcast cohosts. ANd I've heard from many listeners that they also really enjoyed listening to it after being disappointed in episode 12.

So I offer it to anyone here who wants to commiserate about Twin Peaks with us.

Warning: Don't listen if you love this new season, you'll only get mad.
http://twinpeakspodcast.blogspot.ca/2017/08/episode-58-return-part-12-has-been.html

Levito

Banned
Maybe Twin Peaks will end like Neon Genesis Evangelion, where the final two episodes have nothing to do with the plot at all and are just a dive into the protagonist's mind.

The Log Lady: Congratulations!

Bobby and Shelly: Congratulations!

Harry: Congratulations!

Gordon: CONGRATULATIONS, COOP!

Laura: Congratulations. *sexy wink*

Levito

Banned
The last two episodes of NGE have everything to do with the plot

I actually haven't seen it in many years to be honest. But I do remember the movie having to make up for so much lingering plot threads.

For the record I really like the ending of the series.

Ashby

I actually haven't seen it in many years to be honest. But I do remember the movie having to make up for so much lingering plot threads.

For the record I really like the ending of the series.

Agreed. If the ending of The Return is half as good as NGE's I'll come away very happy from this experience.

mittelos

Is it confirmed the next episode is on Oct 2nd, or whenever the Jack Rabbit's Palace event is? Any leads?
In Ep 9- the note from Briggs lists two dates, 10/1 and 10/2, and Truman says "in two days we'll go there...". In Ep 11, when Truman and Hawk are looking at Hawk's map, Truman says that they are going, "the day after tomorrow". So, to answer your question, I have no idea, and am confused on how time is moving on the show.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I've actually been enjoying certain Twin Peaks fan films more than the actual season 3. For instance these ones that are winners of the Twin Peaks Festival short film contest.

Here's one about Leland Palmer's childhood summer at Pearl Lakes that he mentioned a few times in the show.
https://vimeo.com/214797328

And here's a trilogy of shorts about an FBI agent coming to Twin Peaks to look for Cooper, 25 years later.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD7Em-FgyeiMKqMGarGqJAqPT6yfZY3bR
So basically you wanted Twin Peaks fanservice.

These aren't very good.

smisk

That scene with Audrey is insane. First we get her talking to a character we don't know, about characters we don't know, then we get her husband on a one sided phone conversation we don't understand, while Audrey isn't understanding either. And the scene is like 10 minutes long.
Seriously, no one but Lynch would pull that type of shit. I don't care whether it gets resolved well or not, I'm loving being along for the ride.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
No, I wanted Twin Peaks to be about Twin Peaks.
Whether or not that expectation is satisfied trumps all other aspects of vision or execution or moment to moment quality. These are so flat and boring in execution, but they satisfy the criteria of being set in a Twin Peaks identical to the one from the 25 year old show and checking off a bunch of Twin Peaks-isms.

I think it's fair to dislike the new show, but this kind of uninspired fanservice being presented as any kind of worthwhile alternative is incredibly short sighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom