• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the...thing in the box that killed the kid and his girlfriend, that was something from the Black Lodge chasing after Coop right?

Fantastic first two episodes, but what's the deal with the effects? Showtime couldn't pump a little extra into the effects budget?

bleaker

So the...thing in the box that killed the kid and his girlfriend, that was something from the Black Lodge chasing after Coop right?

Fantastic first two episodes, but what's the deal with the effects? Showtime couldn't pump a little extra into the effects budget?

Lynch was lucky to get the money he got, let's not get picky here.

superfly

That shot with Sarah Palmer watching water buffalo get eaten alive by lions is haunting me. Dead look in her eyes, drink in hand. Empty dark house. Feels bad man. Hope she gets some happiness and closure this season.

Reminded of Johnnie Farragut (Harry Dean Stanton) in Wild At Heart watching hyenas rip something apart while he yips at the tv like a madman...and a few scenes later we've got Grace Zabriskie's (Sarah Palmer) character saying its time to hunt "buffalo" before ritualistically killing Farragut. Probably no connection but thought the similarities were interesting.

This scene actually made me think of Leland (Bob) killing Maddy. There's some shots when he's really accosting and groping her if I recall.

Reckoner

Those effects are intentional and something Lynch has been toying lately with. Take a peek at the Nine Inch Nails - Came Back Haunted video, for reference.

Seesaw15

The Ray Harryhausen level effects seem to be a stylistic choice and not a budget thing.

Watching on the showtime app on new apple tv... the image quality of this show is HD but pretty poor. So much compression artifacts that ruin the big sweeping landscape-type shots. Is this just how Showtime is?

I got that with the Xfinity site when I watched through there. Any dark scene was blocky as hell.

It looked really good when I went to the showtime anytime site. I actually rewatched ep 2 because of it.

Hey, there was a poster frequenting these threads that was rewatching the original series with their Mom. I find myself wondering her thoughts on the new series if you guys have watched it.

Hey, there was a poster frequenting these threads that was rewatching the original series with their Mom. I find myself wondering her thoughts on the new series if you guys have watched it.

I watched the og series with my mum way back when it first aired. Definitely planning on rewatching the new stuff with her... Will check in with her thoughts once I do.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

The box is connected to that weird room in space. The woman there (Ronette?) told Cooper about her mom coming, so he had to go. So I'm guessing the white thing is the "mom".

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Lucy hasn't changed a damn bit. Her and Andy are still the simplest of people :lol.

My personal theory is that it was the blind lady's mom, but who knows. I think she finally got through the door and followed Coop's scent.

That makes sense, I'm pretty sure the shape was female

Edit: Ep 4:
MICHAEL CERA!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
?

sinxtanx

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ep. 4:
Bobby the cop! I can't express enough how much that is exactly what I wish would be done with his character.
And now the race is on for which Coop will kill the other first.

Kensation

I like the ugly effects. Hammers home that this is a continuation of a 90's TV series.

Levito

Banned
I'm surprised how many folks here on GAF actually watched Twin Peaks when it originally aired. I would've been like 3 years old at the time, didn't see it until Netflix in 2012; watched it cause it influenced so many things I like (Silent Hill, SMT, Lost, etc)

hank_tree

I'm surprised how many folks here on GAF actually watched Twin Peaks when it originally aired. I would've been like 3 years old at the time, didn't see it until Netflix in 2012; watched it cause it influenced so many things I like (Silent Hill, SMT, Lost, etc)

Stealth age brag.

Sadsic

This is pretty much identical to me except I was born after season 1 lol

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The glass box scene has wedged itself in my mind. I can now say that aspects of it are truly haunting. From its origins, true purpose, to the amazing visuals and sound design when its presented onscreen. Its seriously one of those most unsettling things I've seen on TV.

Dan-o

I missed it when it originally aired (I would have been 8 or 9), but got into Lynch because of Lost Highway. So in the early 2000s, I'm pretty sure I got S1 DVD set in late 2001 and the rest through usenet groups and whatnot, one at a time, and most had some burned-in foreign language subtitles throughout. That was an... interesting way to watch it at the time.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
What's the song that plays during Mr. C's first appearance as he's driving?

Yeah I was -1 when the show ended. I watched the show in 2010.

Eraserhead was my first Lynch anything. I kept seeing it on t-shirts and it looked kinda creepy, so I checked it out. Then proceeded to watch everything by him, including TP.

I'll never forget the first time I saw that one "baby" scene from Eraserhead. Like, the fuck?!

Edit: actually I guess I saw some scenes from Dune before Eraserhead, but I mean, it barely qualifies.

Flipyap

I can dig it. I shudder to think what the cube mother might birth.
Dunno about the cube part, but we do know that the mother birthed Phoebe Augustine, so there's no reason to get all shuddery. She seemed like a very nice American Girl and I'm sure her mom isn't that bad once you get to know her.

I'm almost certain Lynch did many of those effects himself. They look so much like his animations and they're so simplistic, so obviously 2D, I just can't imagine it being a question of budget.

The glass box scene has wedged itself in my mind. I can now say that aspects of it are truly haunting. From its origins, true purpose, to the amazing visuals and sound design when its presented onscreen. Its seriously one of those most unsettling things I've seen on TV.

Yep, everything about that scene is masterfully done. The framing of establishing shots, the lighting, unique layout and architecture of the room, and that subtle 1-2 step raised platform where they watch the box from. I also love how Lynch arranges furniture in sets, he's like a zen gardener with set design and prop placement (that little banzai tree). Everything has this seemingly purposeful flow to its distribution within the frame.

There was another shot in a different scene showing random objects on a desk and all of them seemed to have a very specific arrangement, almost like some ritualistic set of tools laid out. The Jacoby spray painting scene had a very tai-chi like rhythm, the interplay between the shots of painting and the foot-pedal controlled mechanism to turn the shovels was kind of entrancing in its own way.

Is Part 5 out yet...

Dunno about the cube part, but we do know that the mother birthed Phoebe Augustine, so there's no reason to get all shuddery. She seemed like a very nice American Girl and I'm sure her mom isn't that bad once you get to know her.

Either I misread things but I was referring to the entity within the cube, that isn't the same "mother" we were discussing. That poster alluded to the entity being a potential mother due to its obvious gender. Not the same being as the blind woman afaik.

Edit: nm forgot that's a separate character, "Naido". I feel like the black lodge and all these pocket universes need their own line of trading cards for the new characters.

Solo

Not that it matters because the 18 episodes are in the can and there's no worry of cancellation (nor chance at renewal)...but any word on ratings? Real curious to see how it fares.

Flipyap

Either I misread things but I was referring to the entity within the cube, that isn't the same "mother" we were discussing. That poster alluded to the entity being a potential mother due to its obvious gender. Not the same being as the blind woman afaik.
I thought the American Girl scene (also referenced in that post) was what started this motherhood theory. Male creatures don't seem to get the same treatment and we never had a reason to take their sex into consideration before (for example, Bob's gender was always irrelevant).

Slaythe

Not that it matters because the 18 episodes are in the can and there's no worry of cancellation (nor chance at renewal)...but any word on ratings? Real curious to see how it fares.

No clue on ratings but it had a record breaking Showtime peak interest in online subs and streaming.

More newcomers than ever with the free trial too.

Elchele

Pretty sure it belongs to Audrey

I thought the American Girl scene (also referenced in that post) was what started this motherhood theory. Male creatures don't seem to get the same treatment and we never had a reason to take their sex into consideration before (for example, Bob's gender was always irrelevant).

No you're right I edited my post, was confusing the blind woman Naido as the mother for some reason. The sense of time in that place seems fuzzy which is what threw me off. I am curious how things get spawned to begin with ie Dougie though I'm assuming that's a whole different can of worms, ditto for the Hastings being possible plants what with Mr C's line about her doing human emotions well. Could've just been some general observation on his take on how humans act however.

The Rancho Rosa development in general seems like it could be some hotbed for lodge experimentation. The junkie woman with the kid across the street from Dougie chanting "119" is something I keep thinking back to, assuming some correlation there.

edit:

Someone found the track that plays during Mr C's introduction, slowed down version of Muddy Magnolia's American Woman. Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ozSIN_3Xk

Slowed down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWkGGda7hX8

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So regarding
The arm, people have described it as a tree, but the constant electrical crackles when it's around it reminds me more of a nervous system than a tree. It mentioned evolution too, so maybe it's growing into something else?

No you're right I edited my post, was confusing the blind woman Naido as the mother for some reason. The sense of time in that place seems fuzzy which is what threw me off. I am curious how things get spawned to begin with ie Dougie though I'm assuming that's a whole different can of worms, ditto for the Hastings being possible plants what with Mr C's line about her doing human emotions well. Could've just been some general observation on his take on how humans act however.

The Rancho Rosa development in general seems like it could be some hotbed for lodge experimentation. The junkie woman with the kid across the street from Dougie chanting "119" is something I keep thinking back to, assuming some correlation there.

edit:

Someone found the track that plays during Mr C's introduction, slowed down version of Muddy Magnolia's American Woman. Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ozSIN_3Xk

Slowed down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWkGGda7hX8

Interesting trackname, given the credits

Flipyap

American Girl's
faked backwards speech sounds more like the orginal show's "lodge speak" than the actual red room scenes. It's such a shame they couldn't have Michael J. Anderson to coach them. It all sounds so wrong now. :(
No you're right I edited my post, was confusing the blind woman Naido as the mother for some reason. The sense of time in that place seems fuzzy which is what threw me off.
God, tell me about it. I had the hardest time placing events in their respective Parts and recalling what actually happened. The show even gave me this profound sense of deja vu and I could have sworn that I've seen some of it before.
I might have to start looking for a cozy asylum by Part 18.

ditto for the Hastings being possible plants what with Mr C's line about her doing human emotions well. Could've just been some general observation on his take on how humans act however
It did sound to me like he was appreciating humanity's awfulness or predictability (he says "you follow human nature perfectly"). Shooting lodge folk in the head doesn't seem like a thematically appropriate way of disposing of things that come from a place beyond time and space.

Man I really hope they get away from
Brain damaged Cooper
soon. It's just really tedious at this point and I don't like
seeing him like this

They sure are taking their sweet time getting where their going. Gotta fill up 18 episodes somehow I guess.

Man that
Micheal Cera scene
was just oh man please stop. Man this season is weird.

God, tell me about it. I had the hardest time placing events in their respective Parts and recalling what actually happened. The show even gave me this profound sense of deja vu and I could have sworn that I've seen some of it before.
I might have to start looking for a cozy asylum by Part 18.

You and me both :p

It did sound to me like he was appreciating humanity's awfulness or predictability (he says "you follow human nature perfectly"). Shooting lodge folk in the head doesn't seem like a thematically appropriate way of disposing of things that come from a place beyond time and space.

True, only thing that gives me pause is that weird distortion effect as she gets shot. Maybe just the ripple of his influence coming off her. Then again the same didn't occur with Daria's murder.

Interesting trackname, given the credits

My thoughts exactly :)

Flipyap

True, only thing that gives me pause is that weird distortion effect as she gets shot. Maybe just the ripple of his influence coming off her. Then again the same didn't occur with Daria's murder.
We'll have to be on a lookout for similar effects, for now I'm just assuming that it was Lynch's way of adding some impact to a lousy take. Try to imagine it without the distortion and it looks more like she tripped, as opposed to having half her face blown off.

Edit: oh crap, we're putting Part 2 stuff in spoiler tags. That one fella is gonna be pissed.

Saw episodes 1 and two (the two hour premier) . Great stuff. Yet again, David Lynch just completely does a 180 and subverts my expectations. I really like the direction and tone that this show starts off as. Honestly the first 20 minutes feel like a direct continuation of the original series, you don't really see any modern editing or camera work going on here, it feels like it was filmed in 1991, but with a digital camera. It was filmed very simaler to how the original series was filmed. The pacing is slow and plods along... but in a good way. Each scene feels like something the viewer should saviour it in.

I don't want to get into spoilers, but this is much darker than anything from the previous seasons. There is much more violent than anything that came before it. Though to be honest, I feel like some of the special effects could have looked a little better. But it is still done well enough. But the situations are grizzly and twisted.

The Black Lodge and the state of Agent Cooper are incredible moments. I can't wait to see where they are going with this. I have not seen episode 3 or 4 yet.

We'll have to be on a lookout for similar effects, for now I'm just assuming that it was Lynch's way of adding some impact to a lousy take. Try to imagine it without the distortion and it looks more like she tripped, as opposed to having half her face blown off.

Edit: oh crap, we're putting Part 2 stuff in spoiler tags. That one fella is gonna be pissed.

lol oops. These four parts kinda run together in my head.

Yeah it's a bad take. Wonder if we'll see some Deputy Cliff-caliber head explosions at some point.

watched all 4 sunday night and I cannot stop thinking about it. This is the first show where I am completely hooked since maybe Lost. I missed the weekly excruciating waits for the next episode

Glass box. That shit was crazy. True horror right there. I knew right then that Lynch had nailed this.

After all the darkness, the end of the premiere was just this perfect nostalgia bomb.

I love it. It's not quite a straight revival. It feels like Twin Peaks Evolved. I'm amazed this is working as well as it is. A lifetime of consuming TV/movies tells me that digging up this property after 25+ years should have been a spectacular bust, but it's nearly perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom