• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

LProtag

I've been thinking about the meta elements of this show, especially in light of Lynch starting FWWM off with a TV being destroyed...

Spoilers for all 4 parts:

First there's the fact that a young guy is forced to watch a glass box that does nothing for an extended period of time, and has to have his complete attention on it.
The pace of this season is slow, which is somewhat parallel to this. On top of this, we have the knowledge that a millionaire funded the box, much like how Showtime funded the show. Then, when he has a girl over and they start getting frisky instead of watching... they're murdered. Lynch feels pretty passionately about there being a 'right' way to approach watching film (his commentary on watching a movie on a cellphone) so this adds to that idea.
The message here seems to be "you need to pay attention and appreciate the slow moments".

The feel of the show in general is off from the original, but at times it comes back.
This happens especially during Bobby's moment staring at Laura's picture. We get the melodrama. We get the love theme. It all seems rather out of place at this point though.
It's in contrast to a Twin Peaks where there's no emotional music playing all of the time. To me it almost felt like a big FU to nostalgia. Bobby just needed a minute to get over it.
Of course... then we get the quirky as hell Wally Brando scene...

I'm sure there are more examples that I'm not thinking about at the moment, but it seems like Lynch and Frost are really operating on a meta-level with a lot of this. In some ways it seems like they're directly addressing the expectations and the fanbase, and at times even poking fun at them. I'm not sure if there's some bigger thematic purpose for that though, or if it's just another aspect of the show.

Didn't Lynch not basically say this how many episodes he needed and backed out after he didn't get it. After negotiations he got what he wanted but it was touch and go for a while.

It was also related to royalties from streaming and dvd revenue iirc. Lynch got himself a fat paycheck with this deal.

Zekes!

Man I really hope they get away from
Brain damaged Cooper
soon. It's just really tedious at this point and I don't like
seeing him like this

They sure are taking their sweet time getting where their going. Gotta fill up 18 episodes somehow I guess.

Man that
Micheal Cera scene
was just oh man please stop. Man this season is weird.

I was more like "please continue longer. Longer!!"

Maligna

Banned
I think a lot of people are streaming rather than watching live, due to Showtime being a premium service and having a lot of different ways to get it (Hulu, Amazon, etc).

But it says, " + Showtime app + on demand viewers"

Or does that mean they aren't being included in the 1.1 mil?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Aren't these numbers like... really bad?
:(

For a show as hyped as this, yes. Live + Same Day viewership was extremely underwhelming, even when factoring in the amount of people who watched via streaming.

Now, the show is apparently pulling in new viewers to Showtime, which is valuable, and many more will stream the show in the coming days/weeks/months, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the first day numbers are disappointingly low.

Blader

Are the ratings really an issue? This is the only Twin Peaks we'll be getting. When it ends, it'll be truly done forever. Showtime seems satisfied enough so let's enjoy it while we have it.

Are the ratings really an issue? This is the only Twin Peaks we'll be getting. When it ends, it'll be truly done forever. Showtime seems satisfied enough so let's enjoy it while we have it.

I wouldn't go that far. I mean we definitely have another book from Mark Frost coming.

And never say never. Frost and Lynch aren't.

Certainly though if and when that happens it'll be starting from fresh again. Sets have been struck. Contracts honored, etc. No plans were in place to go right into another season.

First there's the fact that a young guy is forced to watch a glass box that does nothing for an extended period of time, and has to have his complete attention on it.
The pace of this season is slow, which is somewhat parallel to this. On top of this, we have the knowledge that a millionaire funded the box, much like how Showtime funded the show. Then, when he has a girl over and they start getting frisky instead of watching... they're murdered. Lynch feels pretty passionately about there being a 'right' way to approach watching film (his commentary on watching a movie on a cellphone) so this adds to that idea.
Hm8fqY7.png

Two people on a sofa just staring at a glass box. Yeah, it is pretty meta... The scene that happened afterwards was fantastic. It was pretty horrifying when the figure appeared in the glass while they were having sex.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Finally had time to watch the first 2 episodes available on Netflix.

Fucking loved it.

I see people talking about the effects, but I felt they were deliberately like that since it added to the eeriness big time. Looking forward to the rest of the series and the new Mark Frost book (Secret Story of Twin Peaks was neat), but I'm bailing out of this thread for now since I'll follow it weekly on Netflix and I had no idea there were 4 episodes out there already.

vordhosbn

Banned
I really love this show but sometimes it does feel like a lot of what happens is filler, does literally EVERY scene have to be ambiguous in nature? It would be nice if we had more straightforward scenes to balance with the abstract stuff (which I love).

LaneDS

Never spent anytime with Johnny Jewel's solo stuff despite liking Chromatics for years, but his album Windswept (which I read features music that will be in this season) absolutely fits the mood of the series. Recommend folks give that a listen if they're caught up and want some atmosphere.

And man, I really love what we've got so far.

ntinosaur

We'll have to be on a lookout for similar effects, for now I'm just assuming that it was Lynch's way of adding some impact to a lousy take. Try to imagine it without the distortion and it looks more like she tripped, as opposed to having half her face blown off.

Maybe :

- It's not Hastings who did the murders, his wife and George(the lawyer) did.
- Both her and George are aliens of some sort.
- Cooperganger killed both of them once the job was done.
- The distortion effect conveys how these beings die.(soul leaving the human body)
- OR "George's gun" is a special type of gun. It's not the same gun as the one with which he killed Darya and both Ruth's and Hasting's wife's wounds look oddly similar.

Showtime isn't HBO and has never had their Game of Thrones type of hit. I would imagine for them that the strength in having Twin Peaks will come from word of mouth and subsequent viewings. I kind of expected the numbers it got. It's a 25 year later direct continuation of a cult show, the crowds that made it a phenomenon initially are now watching The Voice every week. Also, I couldn't imagine that demographic sticking around very long after getting a taste of this new series. It's too damn weird for them.

I'm really hoping that it gets some recognition around awards season. Give Kyle Maclachlan all of the awards.

Helloooooahhooo!

Flipyap

Get that mean garbage off my screen.
James has a perfectly reasonably-sized forehead. He's always had a perfectly reasonably-sized forehead.

VC3AFIq.gif

Showtime isn't HBO and has never had their Game of Thrones type of hit. I would imagine for them that the strength in having Twin Peaks will come from word of mouth and subsequent viewings. I kind of expected the numbers it got. It's a 25 year later direct continuation of a cult show, the crowds that made it a phenomenon initially are now watching The Voice every week. Also, I couldn't imagine that demographic sticking around very long after getting a taste of this new series. It's too damn weird for them.
!

Right. There's no way Showtime screened the first episode and thought "wow, we got a big Nielsen hit on our hands here!' And if it was really about getting a big rating, you would think they would have put out a proper trailer beforehand. That's not really Showtime's big objective. It's about driving subscriptions and cultivating their brand as something worth paying for.

Slaythe

I honestly think it's fine.

It's gonna sell a ton of merch, dvd blurays, shirts, mugs, you name it.

Far more than "homeland" and co are selling.

It also is unlike anything else on TV and has brand recognition.

Twin Peaks got cancelled and had a terrible earnings for its movies. Showtime knew what they were getting into, I think they just decided to bet on the future.

Hopefully it pays off for them, if not, they allowed a series that desperately needed an ending to get one. The executives do try to get money out of this, but I'm sure they're fine with taking a few risks for "the greater good" once in a while.

HotHamBoy

I wish I could agree with you re: Chrysta Bell, but having seen her speak in an interview I'm pretty sure she's just badly cast because of her Lynch-muse status.

She's awful but in a good way. She absolutely fits Twin Peaks. It's a cast brimming with non-actors, over-actors, hams, etc.

Remember, at its heart Twin Peaks is a soap opera.

Damn, should have rewatched that finale before watching this.

That's what I did, that's what everyone should do.

It's actually a lot simpler (ha) than that.
The doppelganger isn't someone possessing Coop's body, its an evil doppelganger that escaped the Lodge instead of Coop. Coop can not escape the Lodge until Mr. C comes back, so Mr. C created a body double named Dougie in order to fool the Lodge. Dougie goes in, Cooper comes out. Both Cooper and Mr. C seem to be acting weird though, and we don't really know why yet.

I assume that the reason
they are both acting weird and impaired is that they shouldn't both exist in the real world at the same time and it is causing some kind of meta conflict.

Curious question for any Canadians watching this on CraveTV's Xbox One app:

Were you able to get subtitles working? I couldn't get them working at all through the Xbox One's default closed caption setup. I googled around and couldn't find anything.

HotHamBoy

OH also I started to listen to the audiobook The Secret History of Twin Peaks thanks to this thread! I had no idea it existed, slipped by me completely. The fact that it is written by Mark Frost and read by cast members really makes it feel essential if you enjoy the lore. I love all the fake history with Lewis and Clark and Thomas Jefferson and the free masons, etc.

Also, apparently a second book is coming in October? Exciting!

American Girl's
faked backwards speech sounds more like the orginal show's "lodge speak" than the actual red room scenes. It's such a shame they couldn't have Michael J. Anderson to coach them. It all sounds so wrong now. :(

This is legit the only thing that has really bothered me about the new season! The backwards talk isn't done very well and there's a lot of it.

watched all 4 sunday night and I cannot stop thinking about it. This is the first show where I am completely hooked since maybe Lost. I missed the weekly excruciating waits for the next episode

Seems like you must have missed a lot of great shows...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom