• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

I was listening to a Doug Loves Movies with Eric Edelstein ("Smiley" Fusco) and he related an anecdote about Lynch on set, saying that Lynch walks around the set smoking a cigarette and carrying around a fire extinguisher. He needs the fire extinguisher because "in case something happens we're covered, cause [he's] technically not supposed to be smoking here".

He also said that he was very specific with direction, even down to how many times he wanted him to laugh and what type of laugh it should be.

He also does a pretty good Lynch impression too.

Solo

Also the woodsmen really didn't end up being much beyond BOB's caretakers, eh? Appeared when BOB came to earth, and whenever Mr C was dying (once to reinsert BOB and revive Mr C, once to extract BOB and let Mr C die.

Also, when you think of it, of all Coopers, Dougie won. Mr C? Burnt in the flames of hell in the red room. Cooper? Out of the red room but stuck in another purgatory of his own making. Dougie? Shacking up with Janey-E.

Apologize to Dougie.

Zoe

Also the woodsmen really didn't end up being much beyond BOB's caretakers, eh? Appeared when BOB came to earth, and whenever Mr C was dying (once to reinsert BOB and revive Mr C, once to extract BOB and let Mr C die.

Also, when you think of it, of all Coopers, Dougie won. Mr C? Burnt in the flames of hell in the red room. Cooper? Out of the red room but stuck in another purgatory of his own making. Dougie? Shacking up with Janey-E.

Apologize to Dougie.

They also had some control over the portals. Killing Bill Hastings when the FBI got too close, sendin Mr C to the motel, etc.

A Theory of Cooper, Diane, Lara, and Judy

Has this been discussed yet? It's a very well thought out theory on the finale, but not one I wholly agree with. But for anyone who's looking for a solid conclusion and needs to find closure, this is the best one I've found. They make a really solid point on why the sex scene between Diane and Cooper was so lacking in passion and necessary for the plan to eliminate Judy. I forgot about the connection to the ideas of Aleister Crowley's "Moonchild" and how a ritual was necessary to summon Babylon or "the Mother." Makes a lot more sense now.

Edit: I see that it has. But no harm in having the link at the top of a new page for anyone who hasn't read it yet. ;)

brilliant

Yen

Watched 17 and 18 again, and I'm really speechless. Didn't care for the car journey from Oddessa but the conclusion is chilling.

I'm not subscribing to the BOMB theory, but this:

Well, Audrey's arc is kind of the key to understanding it all; in fact it appears to be the primary purpose of her scenes within the story.

What do we learn from her scenes:

1. "Dreams" can be a cage. Audrey is trapped in a purgatorial loop stuck in the house with Charlie.

2. "Dreams" can be broken by a triggering moment. Her terror at the fight unexpectedly breaking out snaps her out of it, and she awakens to a new reality.

She is like the dreamer who dreams, and lives within the dream. But who is the dreamer?

The obvious answer being that its Audrey, but which is the real Audrey? How she sees herself in the situation with Charlie, or is it just her staring, confusedly into her own reflection in an all-white room?

Who is that Audrey? What's her story?

Square that against what the Log Lady says about there being some small fear in "letting go", and Hawk's calm agreement that death is just a change, not an end.

So really, there's not much to be feared but the unknown. So when the lights go out at the end, how terrible is that really?

I like.

KillySG10

Neo Member

I like this theory quite a lot, but i don't think i agree with the timeline being 'reset', without going into too much detail it seems like the 2 birds with one stone refers to eliminating the mother (Judy) and the father (BOB), Laura's death is required for one, and survival the other, so, the 'cage' as they describe it is created when Coop 'saves' Laura, the cage itself being a dreamworld, Laura after the moment she takes Coops hand is only her dream self, her spirit if you will, back in the real world, Coop disappears as she grabs his hand and in her confusion and despair, she continues on to Leo and Jacques, fulfilling the timeline we know. At least, that's how it seems to me.

A couple questions about the soundtrack releases.

I was planning on getting the vinyl (once I get a belated birthday check), and streaming until I receive those, but now I'm seeing that Apple Music (and Spotify) don't have the entire soundtracks on streaming.

For those who have preorders from Amazon, I noticed that the Roadhouse soundtrack offers "AutoRip", AKA instant MP3 downloads, but the score does not seem to have that.

For those who preordered, did you get an autorip today? And was it for the score as well. I want the whole thing digitally and on vinyl but I don't want to end up spending $80 on that.

Dan-o

What's the title of the music that plays (I assume it's a Badalamenti cue) when the woodsmen are gathered around Mr.C both times he gets shot? I find it very unsettling...

The soundtrack is so amazing. Angelo's work is brilliant, but I really like the limited use of soundtrack during the episodes. Letting the world breathe with sound design kept it from being boring and when music came it had incredible impact. The restaurant scene was likely the emotional height of the series for me. The feeling of real nostalgia both in the viewer and the subject was so powerful.

This season was about subverting expectations for good reason. Instead of simply covering up the pain of what is lost through a revival, this show evoked and dealt with the real emotions of the long look back at your past. It wasn't escapist, it was a shared experience of the feeling you can never go home again.

To me the end is about the futility of fighting to wrong the rights of the past. All the tangents in the now of the series that showed evil illustrated that these threads are eternal. It's nice to want the savior or martyr or hero, but when you wake up and look around you have to deal with the world you live in. After pondering so much I'm left with the emotion of the thing.

Tagyhag

I really like the Waggish theory but something about the final scene just doesn't feel right.

It doesn't feel like Judy died, it doesn't feel like a happy ending. I'm not sure she's dead.

120v

so i've been sifting through a lot of youtube videos and podcasts out of boredom, a lot of them throw around alt-universe theories about the 'final battle' in episode 17 being a dream or whatever. i never really heeded much attention to it

but rewatching the episode something hit me... so the coordinates mr. c sought after this whole season, the mcguffin of season 3, essentially, led him to the twin peaks sheriff station. suddenly i find this very odd. like, he knew all long this place existed, could've easily just traveled there, but instead needed to be forwarded via the Fireman to get to this place...?

i guess you could argue it was all necessary to get both coops together same time same place but i can't shake the notion whatever happened there wasn't really... happening, per se

so i've been sifting through a lot of youtube videos and podcasts out of boredom, a lot of them throw around alt-universe theories about the 'final battle' in episode 17 being a dream or whatever. i never really heeded much attention to it

but rewatching the episode something hit me... so the coordinates mr. c sought after this whole season, the mcguffin of season 3, essentially, led him to the twin peaks sheriff station. suddenly i find this very odd. like, he knew all long this place existed, could've easily just traveled there, but instead needed to be forwarded via the Fireman to get to this place...?

i guess you could argue it was all necessary to get both coops together same time same place but i can't shake the notion whatever happened there wasn't really... happening, per se

The coordinates actually led to the Palmer house. The Fireman bamboozles him by shifting his destination to the sheriff station.

EdmondD

He was trying to get to Judy's (Sarah Palmer). You see the Palmer house on Fireman's tv and then Fireman switches it to the sheriff's station and sends him there to his death.
Man, Lynch is a genius with sound design.

gun_haver

Mr C really wasn't particularly effective in acheiving his goals all season. He got so sick that he crashed his car and got delayed having to come up with a scheme to escape prison, he was surprised and basically killed by Ray, before being revived by the hobos, then at the end he manages to fool the Twin Peaks PD for about 2 minutes that he is the real Cooper before being shot to death by Lucy, of all people. Maybe he didn't really...want to succeed at anything? Cos the only thing that is coming to mind that he didn't fuck up was that arm wrestling contest.

120v

The coordinates actually led to the Palmer house. The Fireman bamboozles him by shifting his destination to the sheriff station.

i thought the fireman was playing a neutral agent and showing the palmer house because reasons. but.. derp. yeah, it makes a lot more sense he was diverting him

Mr C really wasn't particularly effective in acheiving his goals all season. He got so sick that he crashed his car and got delayed having to come up with a scheme to escape prison, he was surprised and basically killed by Ray, before being revived by the hobos, then at the end he manages to fool the Twin Peaks PD for about 2 minutes that he is the real Cooper. Maybe he didn't really...want to succeed at anything? Cos the only thing that is coming to mind that he didn't fuck up was that arm wrestling contest.

So he's about as successful as the real Cooper :p

g11

uh because in FWWM he disappeared and turned to electricity?

Why would he assume Jefferies is alive but not human? Cooper disappeared 'mysteriously' as far as the FBI is concerned and he's not a tea kettle.

Dougie stay winning.

Not as bizarre as Cooper not even mentioning Annie once.

It's kind of humorous at this point. S1 sets the ground work for Audrey and Cooper to be together, then S2 it's dropped like a bad habit for Annie. Now in S3 Annie is yesterday's news and apparently Diane has been the love of Cooper's life the whole time.

superfly

I really think Badalement's Laura's Theme perfectly encapsulates the show. That light cannot exist without darkness and that darkness ultimately reigns.

gabbre

I'm listening to the soundtrack and starting to see clues everywhere

For the last time
For the last time
For the last time
For the last time
At night I'm driving in your car
Pretending that we'll leave this town
We're watching all the street lights fade
And now you're just a stranger's dream

Is there any significance to Cooper having the same dark hair 25 years later/generally looking younger than Kyle Maclachlan irl? Is it just an aesthetic thing?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
If they decide not to make more episodes, they should let this continue in the form of a comic.
Won't happen. Lynch shot down attempts to get a season 3 comic made in the gap with the response that he didn't want to continue Twin Peaks outside of the show. He has final approval, and he hates people tampering with his worlds.

A couple questions about the soundtrack releases.

I was planning on getting the vinyl (once I get a belated birthday check), and streaming until I receive those, but now I'm seeing that Apple Music (and Spotify) don't have the entire soundtracks on streaming.

For those who have preorders from Amazon, I noticed that the Roadhouse soundtrack offers "AutoRip", AKA instant MP3 downloads, but the score does not seem to have that.

For those who preordered, did you get an autorip today? And was it for the score as well. I want the whole thing digitally and on vinyl but I don't want to end up spending $80 on that.

I pre-ordered the score from Amazon and it definitely comes with Autorip.

Alpende

No. It was just the reveal that the show involves alternate dreams that are alternate realities willed into existence by people looking to deny their trauma.
Like Laura (and Diane), Audrey is a rape victim looking to escape the undeniable truth of her identity as a victim and the pain she has had to endure, but being unable to.
It's a parallel that's part of the greater collective dream spun from Laura's trauma and Cooper's denial of it.

Late reaction but thanks for the reply!

Slaythe

ozE1bg9.gif

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

LYYYYYYYYYNCH

It's really pointing towards the "no need for another season" thing.

Not sure if people have been discussing it here, but there's a theory going around that involves watching Part 17 and Part 18 simultaneously. If you ask me it's a bunch of junk. Seems like a ridiculous amount of effort to hide your actual message, and many of the 'syncs' pointed out are beyond a stretch like, 'Oh look in this bit, we see Freddie and at the same time we see the Odessa city limits sign, and the sign is green like Freddie's glove!'

That said, I love how far people are going to find a truth that makes sense to them. I haven't settled on mine yet, but I'm still waiting to rewatch the two parts. We're going to watch FWWM early next week and then Part 17 and Part 18 shortly after.

BTA

Still a little confused by the insistence in some theories that being a rape survivor is a vital part of why Audrey is dreaming. I don't think anyone beyond Bad Coop actually knew that happened, since she was in a coma?

I'm still a little bothered by that being part of the story to begin with, but yeah.

Still a little confused by the insistence in some theories that being a rape survivor is a vital part of why Audrey is dreaming. I don't think anyone beyond Bad Coop actually knew that happened, since she was in a coma?

I'm still a little bothered by that being part of the story to begin with, but yeah.

She was impregnated.

Would knowing you were raped but not remembering the actual event necessarily take the edge of it?

She'd know she was raped because she had a son. Unless, I suppose, John Justice Wheeler didn't use protection.

Of course, we don't really know if she's in a coma still when she's with Charlie.

I think its plausible is all I'm saying.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Would knowing you were raped but not remembering the actual event necessarily take the edge of it?

She'd know she was raped because she had a son. Unless, I suppose, John Justice Wheeler didn't use protection.

Of course, we don't really know if she's in a coma still when she's with Charlie.

Richard did mention to Mr.C that his mother, Audrey, had his photo with her at her house. I think she woke up at some point, and then something happened later on. Maybe we will find out in The Final Dossier.

Pusherman

Not sure if people have been discussing it here, but there's a theory going around that involves watching Part 17 and Part 18 simultaneously. If you ask me it's a bunch of junk. Seems like a ridiculous amount of effort to hide your actual message, and many of the 'syncs' pointed out are beyond a stretch like, 'Oh look in this bit, we see Freddie and at the same time we see the Odessa city limits sign, and the sign is green like Freddie's glove!'

That said, I love how far people are going to find a truth that makes sense to them. I haven't settled on mine yet, but I'm still waiting to rewatch the two parts. We're going to watch FWWM early next week and then Part 17 and Part 18 shortly after.

Yeah, parts of it certainly seem like a stretch but the endings of both episodes sync up surprisingly well. Someone on Reddit posted this:

https://streamable.com/ma8un

BTA

She was impregnated.

I mean she'd literally just slept with John; my assumption was in-world everyone just assumed he was the father.

But I guess in the sense that dreams are realities here it wouldn't necessarily be less impactful, hmm. (And to be absolutely clear I'm definitely not questioning whether she's a rape survivor or anything weird like that; just I'm not sure that it initially made as much sense to me as the incitement for the dream reality if she was in a coma, etc.)

Solo

I have decided that Episode 18 was the intended end to all things Twin Peaks (at least in film and TV form). There will be no more.

Top Bottom