• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

That seems like a big ol' stretch.

If you're talking about the theory as a whole, I agree. It's just someone who's trying to tie things up neatly and make the ending a lot easier to interpret for those who are struggling with it. That said, they did a pretty good job at it and I have to give them credit for figuring out the significance of the strange sex scene with Coop and Diane. While I don't necessarily think the purpose was to summon Judy into a new dream world that Cooper created by saving Laura, it was definitely intended as some sort of ritual necessary to cross over into wherever it was Cooper needed to go.

About Audrey:
I can't help but feel her fate was ultimately worse than Lara's. She's forgotten by everyone. No one outside of her dreams even mentions her except for her son in passing before he dies. I think that's why she's alone in that white room. She's no longer part of the dream. That's why we never see the people she mentions. She was forgotten and was forced to create a dream of her own, that only she inhabits. There's no special agent coming to save her, unlike Lara.

anaron

If you're talking about the theory as a whole, I agree. It's just someone who's trying to tie things up neatly and make the ending a lot easier to interpret for those who are struggling with it. That said, they did a pretty good job at it and I have to give them credit for figuring out the significance of the strange sex scene with Coop and Diane. While I don't necessarily think the purpose was to summon Judy into a new dream world that Cooper created by saving Laura, it was definitely intended as some sort of ritual necessary to cross over into wherever it was Cooper needed to go.

About Audrey:
I can't help but feel her fate was ultimately worse than Lara's. She's forgotten by everyone. No one outside of her dreams even mentions her except for her son in passing before he dies. I think that's why she's alone in that white room. She's no longer part of the dream. That's why we never see the people she mentions. She was forgotten and was forced to create a dream of her own, that only she inhabits. There's no special agent coming to save her, unlike Lara.

It's incredibly upsetting and frankly unfair.

gun_haver

I can’t feel sorry for Audrey on account that she was an awful character.

Well she did get the short end of the stick - her showcase scene is probably the single worst scene in the return and there are a few stinkers mixed in there.

It's not the most baffling thing about the choices made with the return (interesting or otherwise), because Audrey as a character and I feel somehow Sherilynn Fenn as a person has been getting dumped on by Twin Peaks since mid season 2. It's like they just set out to ruin her on purpose and, not having ruined her enough, decided to give her the worst scene of the show and then not integrate or have her stuff develop at all.

Window

Audrey had one of the best scenes in The Return (the dance scene). I think the thematic relevance of her story segment made up for the lack of screen time or proper exploration of her character.

Window

Maybe my memory is fuzzy but I think there were more scenes which took place at night in the original (and FWWM) than here, with many being set out in the forest or suburbs with limited light sources. That added a mysterious quality and a sense of fear which I think would have benefited some of the scenes in this season. The darkness in those scenes was dark.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I went to a Thai restaurant last night and they had the Twin Peaks OST on all night. Asked the waitress about it while paying and turns out she was the one that put it on. We exchanged thank Dougies and call for helps, then started talking about the Secret History (she hadn't heard of it) and the Xiu Xiu album. Despite pretty abysmal service, my girlfriend left her a generous tip since we enjoyed the music so much.

The Twin Peaks revival is great.

I went to a Thai restaurant last night and they had the Twin Peaks OST on all night. Asked the waitress about it while paying and turns out she was the one that put it on. We exchanged thank Dougies and call for helps, then started talking about the Secret History (she hadn't heard of it) and the Xiu Xiu album. Despite pretty abysmal service, my girlfriend left her a generous tip since we enjoyed the music so much.

source.gif

Haha, thats awesome.

Thank Dougie

Flipyap

Not sure if posted already, but there's an interview with Kyle post show here about the making of the series which is pretty neat: -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aStb7Y88RRA
*squeal* He mentions being shown some behind the scenes footage meant for blu-ray extras (or, as Kyle puts it "there will be a whole series of DVDs coming out, kind of, of, kind of the making-of type show").
That's a relief, I was afraid this might be another Lynch-ass Lynch production with the only option besides playing the movie being random scene selection.

Joqu

Looks more like someone got confused while drawing a swastika.

I mean I do think you ought to be careful spreading symbols with no context like that, but the combo with the username doesn't leave any doubt.

I just thought it was neat because it's the only Twin Peaks I'm seeing tonight

Haha

;_;

OH MY GOD THEY WERE TELLING US TO OVERLAY TWO EPISODES AT ONCE ALL ALONG

Twin_Peaks_2017_Poster.jpg

Gutted there's no new Peaks tonight. Just bleak real life. Sad face.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
No Cooper tonight. I am sad today. On the bright side, I really ought to study and make a presentation.

BTW, I really like Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima. I hear it every now and then. Something about the bleakness it represents.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I am watching the show in reverse.
From 18 backwards.
Let's see what happens.

What's this thing about overlaying two episodes??

Corpsepyre

Banned
Here's a question. That frog thing, do you think that was BOB's true form, or was it some other fucker that Judy spat out that is now possessing Sarah?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a question. That frog thing, do you think that was BOB's true form, or was it some other fucker that Judy spat out that is now possessing Sarah?

The physical representation of the Jumping Man, I'd guess.

120v

my takeaway was sarah harbored judy the whole time. so, if i'm right on that count...

in simple terms, i think the frog thing was judy. though judy seems to be more of an omnipresent kind of entity so i don't think it's as simple as judy is to sarah as Bob is to Leland. i think the frog thing was more of an extension of judy. otherwise i think the show would've given more cues as to what specifically was going on with sarah

Chitown B

About Audrey:

Lara?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
This is interesting:

(Thank you so much for putting together such an amazing show, and for doing an AMA!)
From /u/thecowjumpedovertheM:
Who provided the voice for the (Evolution of the) Arm?
Did Bowie know how his character was going to be tackled in his absence? (really, any Bowie-related detail would be awesome)
...and the real good question that I don't want to actually have an answer for: is it future, or is it past?

SabrinaSOfficial
1. Unfortunately, I think this question should remain a mystery and not be answered.
2. Bowie did give us permission to use his clips in this season.
3. I don't have an answer for that one either. Sorry!

Wonder who did the voice.

My friend has made many interesting posts over the years connecting Twin Peaks and Alice in Wonderland. Thought you guys might enjoy it. She has gone through S2E8 and just did a post with some visual comparisons of The Return.

Top Bottom