• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

Cooper/Richard imagining everything would be a huge downer
The character of Cooper is such a great character, I'd hate for that to be his fate all along

Cooper was so shook x unsure of what was happening before asking what year it was, felt bad

hughesta

Banned
Cooper didn't dream anything. Laura is the dreamer of the "alternate timeline" in part 18.

edit: she sees him in the lodge. He tells her not to take the ring.

Linkin112

In other words, you want a cookie-cutter Back to the Future happy ending.
Over a "alternate universe Odessa" ending, sure. I'm all for bleak endings (Just watched It Comes At Night earlier today, oof), but not for this. I wouldn't even consider the ending we currently have as an ending, it really feels like a setup for something more.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Man this went from the most triumphant ending to the most depressing one ever.

It's easy to love 17, but I think I will grow to remember 18 more. It's so freaking bleak. Cooper is no longer Cooper, but not in a cartoonish doppelganger way, and there doesn't seem to be a path back this time. He tried to change too much and now everything and everyone is gone.

I'm so glad they went ahead and did a David Lynch trademark ending. With the amount of time this season spent teasing its audience, I was kind of expecting something with more closure.

Can't wait for Twin Peaks: Part 4: Steel Ball Run.

I do not see the ending as bleak. Like he seems to be on the right path, has followed all the Firemans clues, and despite not knowing what year it is or how to find Sarah it especially seems like things start moving when Laura snaps back to remembering she's Laura.

hydruxo

one of my favourite shots of the whole show:

Screen_Shot_2017_09_04_at_06_04_27.png

Why though lol

Episode 18 felt the most like a Lynch movie out of any episode, to me.

I really liked it, and loved the season as a whole, but I am a bit perplexed. And I have no idea what The Final Dossier will actually be.

Vectorman

Banned
If you wanna talk Annie, let's talk about Donna Hayward. There's no mention of Laura's beloved friend and James' love like anywhere. And yet her sister was slumming it with a married drug addict who shot himself.

Vectorman

Banned
Lara Flynn Boyle has a history with Lynch.

Goes back to her prime years where she was being a diva. Probably Lynch's decision not to bring her back.

He probably wrote her out entirely which I did't mind.

Talking about the FWWM actress. I'm just surprised no one mentioned her at all though.

BTA

If you wanna talk Annie, let's talk about Donna Hayward. There's no mention of Laura's beloved friend and James' love like anywhere. And yet her sister was slumming it with a married drug addict who shot himself.

It felt weird but also I don't (off the top of my head) feel like there was a point in which she would have really come up naturally? Which obviously just means they wrote around her, but it made it slightly less jarring even more or less watching it coming right off the original show.

FWWM (and the diary before it- one of the scenes with them in The Missing Pieces is very similar to something Laura talks about in it) also makes it clearer that she and Laura weren't as close as the start of season 1 shows, which feels like a retcon in some ways, but regardless is probably what they're using to justify it.

Cathcart

Think I've decided that if a Season 4 isn't announced, I'm just going to head canon Part 17's ending as the true ending, except that Cooper's plan actually works.
Like what in the history of this show makes you think anything good is going to happen to Laura Palmer.

KyleCross

You can probably blame her actress for her not being in the story anymore.

Vectorman

Banned
It felt weird but also I don't (off the top of my head) feel like there was a point in which she would have really come up naturally? Which obviously just means they wrote around her, but it made it slightly less jarring even more or less watching it coming right off the original show.

FWWM (and the diary before it- one of the scenes with them in The Missing Pieces is very similar to something Laura talks about in it) also makes it clearer that she and Laura weren't as close as the start of season 1 shows, which feels like a retcon in some ways, but regardless is probably what they're using to justify it.

It still doesn't make sense when you have James flirting it up with married women with no explanation of the missing girl he left behind. Also not to mention he played the song that he did with Donna and Maddie.

hughesta

Banned
I've just accepted the implication that Donna dies in the motorcycle accident mentioned in Part 2, which made James "a little slow"

TuXx

So the Giant's riddle was to help Coop get laid and Lynch took everyone on a 45 minute car ride.

Epic finale. To hell with character resolutions.

Linkin112

Don't forget we get Frost's new book on Halloween that might wrap up some loose ends.
All we know so far is that at least parts of it will bridge the gap between what happened to certain characters in between Season 2 and The Return.

I could see this helping for Donna, Annie, Audrey, Diane, and a few others I guess.

So the Giant's riddle was to help Coop get laid and Lynch took everyone on a 45 minute car ride.

Epic finale. To hell with character resolutions.

Dude walked out in Twin Peaks and couldn't even say hi for a bit to his pals and went straight to Texas to bang Laura Dern lmao

bleaker

I loved the first part and the second part had totally pissed me off, but I really like it also.

I don't know if Lynch was setting up a fourth season, but I'm gonna have to watch it again divorced from expectations of an ending. I'm honestly so mixed on the episode, I think I'm just gonna have a beer and cry.

Ultimately most of the characters didn't matter. That goes for both the old ones reappearing 25 years later, as the new ones. Were we supposed to cheer as the British stereotype uh... Defeated Blob?

The Mitchum Bros. ended up as characters that fly Coop from Vegas to Twin Peaks.

Kind of disappointing honestly.

Flipyap

I was thinking about how Dale seemed to act strange, kind of like Mr.C, for the last stretch of the last episode and I'm wondering now if he sent a tulpa to live with Dougie's family or if he decided to go himself in the end. This also might explain why when he was having sex with Diane she seemed uneasy/disturbed and covered his face and he was very emotionally detached...??
Maybe she has already assumed the role of Linda and couldn't handle seeing Cooper hanging on to his real dream-self.

In other words, you want a cookie-cutter Back to the Future happy ending.
Seems more like an "entire movie fades out of existence and everything still goes wrong" Back to the Future ending since Cooper wanted to take her back to her abusive home, giving the evil beach ball more chances to possess her now that she didn't get to escape that fate through death.

I have no opinion on a fourth season. I would like it and it would make a lot of sense for it to happen but at the same time this is a good place to end and I am content.

Any theories or explanations why their was a dead body with a ak47 on the floor at Laura Palmer's place in Texas?

This show is impossible to spoil, none of this shit is explainable or believable within the context of what to expect from modern TV lol

newarrior

The woman at the Palmer house is the actual owner of that house.

http://twinpeaks.wikia.com/wiki/Mary_Reber

Richard and Carrie are in the "real world", not the dream that Twin Peaks exists in.

A car isn't following them like in a movie, it just wants to pass. A cartoon beats up some random people in a diner, "What the hell just happened?"

Top Bottom