• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

superfly

one of my favourite shots of the whole show:

Screen_Shot_2017_09_04_at_06_04_27.png

Blader

Mr. C's endgame still doesn't make sense to me either...

I think his plan boiled down to two goals: escape being sent back to the Black Lodge and enter the White Lodge. He technically accomplished both, but at the end the Fireman has him spat out of the White Lodge to the sheriff's station, where Cooper and Freddie are positioned to kill him and BOB.

He probably could have closed a ton more arcs had he not decided music, long smoking, wine drinking and sweeping scenes were more important.

Linkin112

So the coordinates mr c wanted just had him go up to the firemans place inside a cage and the space skeeball gun shot him out to the twin peaks sheriff station because Diane was important for some reason?
Upon rewatching that scene, it looks like DoppelCooper was originally suppose to be sent to Sarah Palmer's home, but The Fireman changes his destination to the Twin Peaks Police Department instead, so that he can finally be killed.

She wasn't even in much of this season, but it reminded me that it is a fucking tragedy that Sheryl Lee wasn't the hottest shit in Hollywood after FWWM.

Courage

Upon rewatching that scene, it looks like DoppelCooper was originally suppose to be sent to Sarah Palmer's home, but The Fireman changes his destination to the Twin Peaks Police Department instead, so that he can finally be killed.

Yep, I read it as Bob wanting to go back in time to possess Laura.

or maybe meet with Sarah/Judy?

idk man

Did anyone get this strange sense that the Odessa scenes after the Coop/Diane sex scene were oddly similar to Twin Peaks settings?

The motel seemed familiar looking.

The diner named "Judy's" and then inside, it seemed like a combination of decorations from the RR Diner and the Great Northern Hotel. The waitress pouring the coffee was introduced in an oddly similar way to the first times Coop is served at the Great Northern and at the RR Diner.

Driving down to "Laura Palmer"'s Texas house, oddly similar to the driving down to the Twin Peaks trailer park, and once he arrives, he finds the exact same telephone pole with the number "6" on it that appeared in FWWM.

All very dreamlike and intentionally similar.........

So much to analyze.................where do we begin?

Blader

Anyone else start to feel a sense of almost dread when there was less than 10 minutes to go and you realized that Lynch was actually going to end this all on *another* cliffhanger lol

Okay reading about all of this dumb time travel and multiple dimensions shit just made me decide that Twin Peaks for me ends at Season 2 Episode 9 which I guess is what Lynch wants his audience to do or whatever.

The last episode felt like a cop out since lynch had too many dangling threads that needed resolution. Really disappointed, but not all that surprised, tbh.

I looked at the clock and shit when I realized there were only a few minutes left and we were clearly getting a cliffhanger. Annoyed but intrigued with where they were going here

I think whatever interpretation people get from the ending it's bad for cooper. Those final minutes were as unsettling as any in this show for me. It just felt so off

hughesta

Banned
"The girl who lives down the lane" just seems like a term used to refer to "the dreamer". It's mentioned to Audrey (who is living in a dream) and it's also mentioned to Cooper in regards to Laura, who is also living in her own dream.

It's like Lynch just writes down whatever he thinks and decides to film it. The elements he chooses to film don't support the story he's trying to tell.

Dougie's storyline was concluded in the beginning of episode 18 with a brief family hug. Audrey was completely ignored after being featured in the first episode to end with a cliffhanger in the entire season. Characters with actual development, admired by the audience (like the Mitchum Bros.) were just left off to the side to observe Lynch's acid trip. Returning character (like Bobby) barely flinched at Cooper's 25-years in the making presence. What before was surreal imagery to create a mood, now is an entity that reveals its desire in plain dialogue (say, Phillip Jeffries or Mike). Characters with season-long plotlines like Richard, Chad, etc are also brushed aside. That goes for other plotlines like the drugs in Twin Peaks, too.

Total disappointment, outside of the sound design and some of the existential dread.

Blader

It's like Lynch just writes down whatever he thinks and decides to film it. The elements he chooses to film don't support the story he's trying to tell.

Well he is pretty open about his process! Shit just comes to him in dreams or random bursts of inspiration, and he films that. That's how he always works.

Dougie's storyline was concluded in the beginning of episode 18 with a brief family hug. Audrey was completely ignored after being featured in the first episode to end with a cliffhanger in the entire season. Characters with actual development, admired by the audience (like the Mitchum Bros.) were just left off to the side to observe Lynch's acid trip. Returning character (like Bobby) barely flinched at Cooper's 25-years in the making presence. What before was surreal imagery to create a mood, now is an entity that reveals its desire in plain dialogue (say, Phillip Jeffries or Mike). Characters with season-long plotlines like Richard, Chad, etc are also brushed aside. That goes for other plotlines like the drugs in Twin Peaks, too.

Total disappointment, outside of the sound design and some of the existential dread.

Dougies big send off was episode 16. which I am going to mentally make the finale

Well he is pretty open about his process! Shit just comes to him in dreams or random bursts of inspiration, and he films that. That's how he always works.

This works in films like Mulholland Drive, where the protagonist is a burned-out actress in denial of her failures, or in Lost Highway where a jealous husband can't deal with his insecurities of being cheated on by his wife. But here, we essentially got... An FBI agent traveling through space and making incomprehensible changes to time as he knows it... And credits.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
So that scene at the Roadhouse with the girl crawling then screaming seems to be recontexualized now doesn't it? Another person realizing they are in a dream?

Vectorman

Banned
I imagine a different scenario of them showing us more of the town and what has been affected rather than the random Roadhouse scenes that implied stuff but nothing more than that. The Roadhouse scenes might as well not have happened because nothing really came from those things. It was pretty much just cameos for musicians and actors. And honestly, I really didn't understand the inconsistency of each episode ending with the bands. Some bands played their whole song, others didn't. Some had the announcer while others just started playing. Some of the episodes didn't even do that and just had some really cool visuals to end them with, which honestly Lynch could have done that instead.

So that scene at the Roadhouse with the girl crawling then screaming seems to be recontexualized now doesn't it? Another person realizing they are in a dream?

It's possible but no one else really does that in the show. Honestly, it's just Lynch probably showing off that shit is messed up in TP.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
here's my theory.

This whole time we have been watching a show called Twin Peaks, but we've only seen one of the "twins" as far as the location goes.

Now we see the other "twin" reality; a doppelganger reality, in a way.

maybe all of the Bang Bang Bar scenes are in the other reality... a reality where the Bang Bang Bar can get Eddie Vedder and Nine Inch Nails on stage

mrboo001

Banned
This is my Phantom Menace.

This is my Matrix Revolutions.

This is my Mass Effect 3.

I didn't hate the ending... 17 felt like the real end and 18 was an epilogue. Only real issue for me is wtf happens to Audrey. Is she stuck in a white room forever?

Beyond that 17 did mostly wrap up most things, rather quickly. 18 was really weird but I'm not surprised by the lack of answers. I like the idea of because of what Cooper did in 17, 18 was the result, enjoy your fuck up Coop! Can't say I'm in a rush to rewatch this series again.

A lot of shit like that can be interpreted as such at this point. I feel like that Audrey scene in ep. 16 opened the floodgates for this all to be a possibility

At the time though I just saw it as a meek person raging out as she's tired of being ignored and literally cast aside.

Jakten

I was thinking about how Dale seemed to act strange, kind of like Mr.C, for the last stretch of the last episode and I'm wondering now if he sent a tulpa to live with Dougie's family or if he decided to go himself in the end. This also might explain why when he was having sex with Diane she seemed uneasy/disturbed, covered his face, and eventually ditched him, and he was very emotionally detached...??

Blader

This works in films like Mulholland Drive, where the protagonist is a burned-out actress in denial of her failures, or in Lost Highway where a jealous husband can't deal with his insecurities of being cheated on by his wife. But here, we essentially got... An FBI agent traveling through space and making incomprehensible changes to time as he knows it... And credits.

I mean, it's dream logic. It works however The Dreamer wants it to work.

Thinking it over, the idea of Cooper creating an alternate reality where Laura is alive and things are maybe better isn't all that different from Naomi Watts' character(s) in Mulholland.

I was thinking about how Dale seemed to act strange, kind of like Mr.C, for the last stretch of the last episode and I'm wondering now if he sent a tulpa to live with Dougie's family or if he decided to go himself in the end. This also might explain why when he was having sex with Diane she seemed uneasy and covered his face and he was very emotionally detached...??

Coop tells Diane that everything could change when they cross over. Maybe while in the original world Dale Cooper and Mr. C are two sides of one person, in the new reality "Richard" is these two sides of Coop merged together?

stuminus3

Ahahahaaa all of Twin Peaks is the imagination of some guy called Richard who's had a nervous breakdown and thinks he's a dimension hopping FBI agent. Perfect.

Or is it?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Everyone who hates the final scenes when Richard/Dale passes the pretty much nondescript double R diner can suck a butt. There's as much mood in that run up to Laura's scream than in the entire series.

Linkin112

Think I've decided that if a Season 4 isn't announced, I'm just going to head canon Part 17's ending as the true ending, except that Cooper's plan actually works.

g11

I was thinking about how Dale seemed to act strange, kind of like Mr.C, for the last stretch of the last episode and I'm wondering now if he sent a tulpa to live with Dougie's family or if he decided to go himself in the end. This also might explain why when he was having sex with Diane she seemed uneasy and covered his face and he was very emotionally detached...??

If he did and sent a tulpa Dale with the real Diane to...wherever the hell they went, that's pretty fucked up of him. Nah, I think that's the real Dale and I wonder if this new reality isn't the key to all the weird Roadhouse scenes about characters we don't know and things like that. Don't know if we have the primer to decipher which ones were old TP and which are new TP if that is the case but that would recontextualize a lot of S3 if it turns out to be the case.

That overlay face of cooper tho as soon as Naido revealed herself as Diane at the sheriffs office. Did anybody get the sense that he was observing all of what happened from the outside (via dream or whatever)

It felt kinda similar to the moment in the opera house in mulholland drive. Like the facade was lifted

Brakke

Banned
I can't believe he did Audrey like that.

Season 4 when. I'm all the way on board for wherever the heck this goes but fuck if this isn't the wildest cliffhanger I ever saw. This is the nightmare scenario tho; so many actors from The Return are already dead. Is Season 4 without Albert even worth having.

Top Bottom