• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

BTA

How would this show have looked if CBS never cancelled it when it did? That's what I always go back to.

I feel like the question to ask there is more "what would it be like if they never made them reveal the killer and continued airing?", I guess. Otherwise I imagine for better or worse if it continued airing it would be more like the middle of season 2?

How would this show have looked if CBS never cancelled it when it did? That's what I always go back to.

Was actually reading about that today:

Original season 3 plans
In the third season's original plans, BOB and MIKE were from a place or a planet made of creamed corn which moves backward.[7][8][9][10] They fell out with each other when BOB stole a can of corn and escaped pursued by MIKE[7][9]. The chase began on December 31, 1951[7] or on the night of Eisenhower inauguration with insects and garmonbozia appearing on the presidential table when the inauguration was stopped for half an hour (though it actually was because of the broadcast of the I Love Lucy episode where she has a baby).[11]
Every character would have had a doppelganger who lived in a reality for two minutes[8] or nanoseconds behind the other reality.[7]

Regarding Cooper's situation, the original intention would have been played as if the good Coop was possessed by BOB and eventually reveal it to be his doppelganger instead.[12][13] To rescue Dale from the place and the return the spirits to their place, Truman would open a portal by driving his jeep backward through a corn field,[8][11][9] going back in time.[7] Major Briggs would be the only choice to save Cooper due to his White Lodge experience.[14]

The cliffhanger would be solved before the commercial break of the first episode, with then a time skip of some years[15] getting away from the high school setting. Cooper being the pharmacist[9] and having left the FBI, Truman being a recluse, Sheryl Lee returning as a new character with red hair and to possibly be killed by BOB as well.[16]

Laura's diary entry about her vision of Annie saying "the Good Dale is in the Lodge" would have been found.[13]

Additionally, the novel The Autobiography of F.B.I. Special Agent Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes was conceived at a time when season 3 was in its early stages and some elements from it might have been reused. In particular, Emmet Cooper was a last-minute addition and Mark Frost commented that actor Roger Rees would be ideal for the role.[17]

http://twinpeaks.wikia.com/wiki/Twin_Peaks_(2017)

Personally I vastly prefer what we got, over a world made of creamed corn.

The song in the Coop/Diane weird sex scene was the same song from episode 8 right? Before the Woodsman took over the station?

Yes

(ABC)

The show was irrevocably transformed after the first season. Literally impossible to speculate as to where Lynch would have taken the show without network meddling and cancellation. That Twin Peaks barely actually exists.

traveler

Not Wario
BOB and MIKE were from a place or a planet made of creamed corn which moves backward.[7][8][9][10] They fell out with each other when BOB stole a can of corn and escaped pursued by MIKE[7][9]

This is legitimately more insane than anything in the season 3 we got lol

scitek

This has been the most memorable series I've watched in ages but I think these are fair points. If I'm going to take issue with anything this season, it would be--

-There was very little interconnection or cohesion to Twin Peaks itself. Besides there just not being as much Twin Peaks as you'd expect in general, all of the characters and places seemed siloed off from one another. It lacked heart, as you said.

It kind of reminded me of the 4th season of Arrested Development in that respect. A lot of the characters returned, but didn't interact with one another as you'd expect, so it just felt like a totally different show.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
BOB and MIKE were from a place or a planet made of creamed corn which moves backward.[7][8][9][10] They fell out with each other when BOB stole a can of corn and escaped pursued by MIKE[7][9]

This is legitimately more insane than anything in the season 3 we got lol

Truman would open a portal by driving his jeep backward through a corn field,[8][11][9] going back in time.[7]

hahahaha

Vectorman

Banned
It kind of reminded me of the 4th season of Arrested Development in that respect. A lot of the characters returned, but didn't interact with one another as you'd expect, so it just felt like a totally different show.

Not a bad comparison really.

kevin1025

Banned
Kyle MacLachlan from an interview with Esquire that posted a few hours back. It was conducted after Part 16 aired:

"I don't think David feels compelled to resolve everything by any means, maybe because of the idea that it's ongoing and we'll pick it back up if we have to," he says, pointing to the differences in the way Lynch and Frost attack the material. "Maybe that's why they get together once every 25 years," he laughs.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a57242/kyle-maclachlan-twin-peaks-the-return-2017-interview/

"If we have to." So you're saying there's a chance!

I really would like to know how much power do these lodges possess? time travel, spirit jumping, tulpas, alternate dimensions, gateways in multiple places.etc man, we need a spin off series just about the fucking lodges

wwm0nkey

kevin1025

Banned
Again he said he want's to, the hardest part for him he says (apparently) is just writing it all lol

So if ShowTime gives him the chance he will probably take it.

Haha, awesome. He should just dictate a bunch of maddening ideas and have a writer's room including Mark Frost do the hard work and then help rewrite it in his own image.

mindatlarge

Assuming there will be no season 4, most signs point that way as of now, some of the questions we still have could be touched on with the upcoming book releasing in October.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1250163307/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm cool with how things turned out though. It's Lynch's and Frost's story to tell after all. The biggest take away from watching this series for me was, not everything has to make sense or have a crystal clear answer. I guess we kinda expect that with our entertainment, we want resolution for everything, we're so used to that comfortable small bubble it creates where we are told everything we want to know, eventually. Lynch, at times, ventures into the unknowns that plague our own realities and existence, some of which have no clear answers, and sprinkles them into his storytelling. Just like dwelling on our own unknowns can be uncomfortable, season 3 made us feel that as well. Can't say that's a bad thing.

Man, rewatching Ep17 made me realize Cooper knew shit was gonna be so different after he tried to rescue Laura.

Maybe he wasn't expecting to stay in another dimension or something.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm not surprised at how divisive the finale ended up being. lol
Episode 17 felt like all of season 7 of Game of Thrones though. Shit's just happening because they're running out of time.

Vectorman

Banned
I'm not surprised at how divisive the finale ended up being. lol
Episode 17 felt like all of season 7 of Game of Thrones though. Shit's just happening because they're running out of time.

Haha yeah, Lynch literally GOT S7'ed his way to this end after spending so much time in South Dakota and Vegas, killing off characters left and right if need be.

hughesta

Banned
Laura is the dreamer. The ending is her snapping out of the fantasy and waking up, like Audrey did. But Laura is dead, she has nothing to wake up to.

Maybe everyone and everything in the series has been a part of her dream. Maybe only what we see when Coop and Diane "cross over" is the dream. But the ending is her waking up to reality, and while the reality for Audrey may be lunacy/a comatose state, the reality for Laura is death.

We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives inside the dream. Both Audrey and Laura live inside their dream. They don't appear in their dreams and experience them before waking up, they live more than half of their lives inside of them.

I'm happy with this answer

Airola

11,3 meg gif incoming.

xCeyDqH.gif

What the fuuuuuck

That last episode had me feeling both a sense of frustration and awe

It feels like Cooper may have condemned himself to some sort of dream purgatory there in the end after he joined Diane. That last scene was creepy as hell in particular as they walked away from the house and got one last scream from Laura.

Was it punishment for trying to change the past with that FWWM flashback? I dunno. I'm tripping

I feel like that moment with Audrey in episode 16 may have been one of the more explicit moments of telling us what was happening this season. Where she wakes up in a comatose or mental state realizing she dreamed those inane conversations and that roadhouse performance (and also Eddie Vedder being called by a different name)

So maybe that whole end portion was Laura's dream too and that final horrifying scream being her realization that she's dead and can't wake up....

HoJu

Did Dale Cooper ever fix anything in the series? He failed at saving Maddie, Annie, and failed in going back in time to stop Laura from ever being murdered.

He did give Janey and Sonny jim Dougie, but maybe he shattered that reality by going back in time

And I just read somewhere that Truman never got up from his desk for the whole last scene of 17. Lol

Jakten

Laura is the dreamer. The ending is her snapping out of the fantasy and waking up, like Audrey did. But Laura is dead, she has nothing to wake up to.

Maybe everyone and everything in the series has been a part of her dream. Maybe only what we see when Coop and Diane "cross over" is the dream. But the ending is her waking up to reality, and while the reality for Audrey may be lunacy/a comatose state, the reality for Laura is death.

We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives inside the dream. Both Audrey and Laura live inside their dream. They don't appear in their dreams and experience them before waking up, they live more than half of their lives inside of them.

I'm happy with this answer

I can kinda see that, the electrical impulses that keep her alive have gone. The lights in the house and the street go out. The Lynch/Frost logo does not turn on. The last thing she hears before she dies is her killer, her father.

Mariolee

I both hated and loved Part 18. I straight up loved Part 17.

I'm actually satisfied with the ending that Coop saved Laura, but in the end got himself trapped in an alternate reality (or future?), with Laura actually remembering some parts of the original reality.

Cheers fellas.

So the coordinates mr c wanted just had him go up to the firemans place inside a cage and the space skeeball gun shot him out to the twin peaks sheriff station because Diane was important for some reason?

Blader

Sheryl Lee has got one of the best goddamn screams. I think it'll be a while before I can even process what to think about part 18 :lol But if nothing else, those final two shots were excellent

Vectorman

Banned
So the coordinates mr c wanted just had him go up to the firemans place inside a cage and the space skeeball gun shot him out to the twin peaks sheriff station because Diane was important for some reason?

Lynch had to get Evil Coop there somehow cause Evil Coop was too damn smart for the script.

Ashby

Man, I wasn't even thinking about multiple timelines by the end of episode 18. The whole idea feels so... quaint? Might as well be watching LOST.

Some people on Reddit have a theory and are saying Laura got sucked into an alternate timeline by Judy when Judy sensed that Cooper was trying to save Laura in the past. Cooper was trying to change time by saving Laura from dying and Judy did not like it. That was when Cooper was leading Laura by the hand in the wood and Laura suddenly disappears with the swooshing noise and the horrifying scream.

Then Coop and Diane go on a mission to save Laura in the alternate timeline from Judy...and in the end Laura realizes who she is and wakes up with the scream and the lights go out in the house.
This makes as much sense as I think I'll be able to make of part 18. It's just weird that Cooper doesn't realize the implications of "crossing over" ("Richard?" "What year is this?" DUDE, DID YOU EVEN HAVE A PLAN?)

Sheryl Lee has got one of the best goddamn screams. I think it'll be a while before I can even process what to think about part 18 :lol But if nothing else, those final two shots were excellent

GOAT scream tbh. There are faces she has made throughout the series that put the joker to shame even

Blader

I think the Fireman releases Coop's Doppelganger into the sheriff's station so that Coop and Freddie can destroy him.

Zocano

Part 18 was fucking wild. Think the gratuitous sex scene was a bit off kilter but other than that it was pretty much what I expected (in that I couldn't have expected any of it).

Some major things that need analyzing:

The little girl who lived down the lane.............that was a direct quote by Audrey to Charlie in one of her early scenes. WTF was the meaning of dropping that quote in the finale....

The previous owners of the Palmer house at the very end.....Chalfont and Tremond...........

Scene from FWWM:

Cooper reaches a pack of dirt which is now creased with tire
COOPER: What was here, Mr. Rodd?
CARL: A trailer was here. What the hell do you think?
COOPER: Can you tell me whose trailer it was... and who stayed in the trailer?
CARL: An old woman and her grandson.
COOPER: Can you tell me what their names were?
CARL: Chalfont. Weird. Chalfont was the name of the folks that rented the space before they did. Two Chalfonts.

Tremond was also the name of the old woman and grandson that Donna meets with during her Meals on Wheels run. These two characters seem to be Lodge entities, possibly Black Lodge.......

What the hell does it all mean.............what an absolute mindfuck. Some are griping about the loose ends and confusion, but I am thoroughly satisfied and all I want is more.

The most tantalizing loose end is Audrey's situation and how it ties in ---- what does it mean when her exact quote is used by a completely different person in a completely different setting? Is Audrey the dreamer? What the hell is going on?

Terrible ending for this season and show. Bob starring as a Langolier, slammed down to the depths of hell? By a British man with super strength?

WTF.

Top Bottom