• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

ibrahima

Banned
Just going to slide in and say I really loved the finale, when the credits rolled I had such a feeling of desperation and heartbreak.

A few things I took away that may have already be mentioned:

• "Once we cross it could all be different"
  • Sheryl Lee is credited as both Carrie and Laura
  • Carrie/Laura's expression the whole time after entering Twin Peaks was incredibly haunting, I had a real sense that she was committed to what Cooper was trying to do.
I wanted to mention as well that Laura returning in one form or another was spoiled ahead of time with the location footage that came out, but I'm pretty glad in a way that the twist itself didn't come out (unless it was mentioned in the Russian episode descriptions?)

The credits sequence of Laura whispering to Coop is going to be an all time favourite for me.

mjp2417

Banned
That overlay face of cooper tho as soon as Naido revealed herself as Diane at the sheriffs office. Did anybody get the sense that he was observing all of what happened from the outside (via dream or whatever)

It felt kinda similar to the moment in the opera house in mulholland drive. Like the facade was lifted

I just rewatched 17 and 18 and while on first watch it felt like 17 in total was the triumphant, goofy, fan-servicey episode that tied up a bunch of plot threads while 18 was the extreme fuck you counter to that, on second watch that whole sequence once Coop recognizes Naido/Diane becomes much more ominous and the entire second half feels closer in spirit to ep 18 than to the first half of ep 17. It would be interesting if this had aired for an unbroken two hours (like the first 2 episodes originally did).

nachum00

Who would've known the series would end up in my town Odessa, Texas. Lol almost feel like Lynch was personally toying with me.

Linkin112

Seems more like an "entire movie fades out of existence and everything still goes wrong" Back to the Future ending since Cooper wanted to take her back to her abusive home, giving the evil beach ball more chances to possess her now that she didn't get to escape that fate through death.
I don't think he was actually taking her home in that sense. My interpretation was that it looked like they were heading for Jack Rabbit's Palace.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
The woman at the Palmer house is the actual owner of that house.

http://twinpeaks.wikia.com/wiki/Mary_Reber

Richard and Carrie are in the "real world", not the dream that Twin Peaks exists in.

A car isn't following them like in a movie, it just wants to pass. A cartoon beats up some random people in a diner, "What the hell just happened?"

Fourth wall shit I knew it! That lady who answered the door didn't seem like an actress.

My brain is hurting right now.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So some more thoughts a few hours later.

The song that plays when Cooper and Diane are having sex is the same song that plays in Part 8 when the Woodsman takes over the radio station and says the verse, "This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within." I don't know exactly right now what that comparison means, but when it happens Diane begins to cover Cooper's face. Of note, Cooper's face is super imposed in Part 17 over the whole scene which can be considered the 'happy ending'.

I am pretty sure the implication is Cooper is the dreamer. He even says before he disappears from the Sheriff's station, "We live inside a dream. I hope I see all of you again. Everyone of you." And that's the last thing Cooper says to everyone before going back in time and the things that happen, and Cooper's face is super imposed on the image.

Cooper as we see him in Part 18 seems to literally mad, like actually crazy. He comes out of a place which isn't the place it should be, he shoots someone in the foot and deep fries their guns while threatening a lady (with courteousness) for an address. He finds a woman and is convinced she's Laura Palmer, and drives her all the way from Texas to Washington to show her Sarah Palmer's house, which isn't Sarah Palmer's house. From a very different angle all of this seems quite mad, and can come off as Cooper completely unhinged. It's not clear if he's even an FBI agent or just believes he's an FBI Agent. Essentially where he's coming from is an ideal for him, his good and evil is separate, he is an upstanding agent loved by all, even at his lowest there's always forces to guide him, his quirkiness is charming, and he's in a situation where he can help people, maybe the only person who can in some cases. But this ends when he goes to save Laura, there's an evil there he can't change no matter how hard he tries. Even when reality twists to wherever he ends up with Diane, everything is different and nothing is the world that Cooper/Richard knows from before. But there's one single element that's lingering, and it's the evil. Somewhere deep in the house is the reminder of the atrocity of Laura's murder, which is what I believe the ending means. Even with everything changed, the one thing Cooper wanted to change to help everything is the one untangiable that cannot be shifted, it's left a permanent scar.

The series often has thematics of good vs evil, and the struggle between them, or maybe less the struggle but more the duality between the two of them. Beneath goodness there is horror, goodness can settle within the nests of horror but it can be twisted, and there is a shadow beneath a facade. The finale perverts Cooper's own goodness and casts questions on him all together. No longer is his good and evil separate, they seem interchanged. The pure evil we saw from Mr. C is not some separate entity, it is a part of him, and it perverts hid own inherent goodness. Cooper's own pursuit of goodness can be a perversion that causes suffering. This happened somewhat in the Season 2 finale going into Season 3, but it's true here too. In the act of wanting to do good, he learns he can't change everything no matter his intentions. As Major Briggs says in the original series, "My greatest fear is that love may never be enough."

I think what happens in the end effects the beginning. When Laura is swept up from the Black Lodge in Part 2 it's when she disappears in Part 17. I think we see the ripples of the end result happening through the whole season. Leland's only role this season is asking Cooper to save Laura, but the truth is that's an impossible task. We are lead to believe at first we are getting the happiest possible ending, that BOB is defeated by a literal superhero pre-determined to save the world with a destiny, that Cooper comes in with happy confidence to save the day, everyone collects around the Twin Peaks Sheriff's Department for a happy ending. Through all of this, Cooper's face is super imposed again. Laura can be saved, Cooper can go back in time and save her. But this is all an illusion, it's all a dream, a dream they're all living inside of and Cooper wakes up from.

He holds Laura Palmer's hand to save her in Part 17, but she disappears. He then leads Carrie by her hand to the Palmer House only to find it's not the Palmer House at all. Whenever he tries to lead Laura to safety, he fails. And every time he fails, we hear Laura's blood-curtling scream. We heard it at the start when she's sucked away, we heard it when she disappeared in Part 17, and it's the last thing we hear in Part 18. Cooper keeps trying and fails, but Laura seems destined to not have a happy ending, she is a tragedy (of note Carrie has an upside down shoehorse necklace).

There's more I'm thinking, but a few thoughts from a few hours later.

Flipyap

I don't think he was actually taking her home in that sense. My interpretation was that it looked like they were heading for Jack Rabbit's Palace.
That's what I thought when I first saw the scene, but that changed when the next part introduced Cooper's obsession with taking her back to her mother's home.

Linkin112

EeYpQtj.gif

Sky Chief

I just rewatched 17 and 18 and while on first watch it felt like 17 in total was the triumphant, goofy, fan-servicey episode that tied up a bunch of plot threads while 18 was the extreme fuck you counter to that, on second watch that whole sequence once Coop recognizes Naido/Diane becomes much more ominous and the entire second half feels closer in spirit to ep 18 than to the first half of ep 17. It would be interesting if this had aired for an unbroken two hours (like the first 2 episodes originally did).

I just realized that "Naido" is how "Diane" sounds backwards

So do we know exactly what happened after Coop got out of the lodge and reunited with Diane? Like what was the plan? How did they know to go to that power line area? Did they know they were crossing over? What are they crossing over to?

Linkin112

So do we know exactly what happened after Coop got out of the lodge and reunited with Diane? Like what was the plan? How did they know to go to that power line area? Did they know they were crossing over? What are they crossing over to?
We just know they had a plan together, not really what it entailed. When Cooper first frees Diane from being Naido, he asks her if she remembers everything. Then before leaving through the Great Northern Door, he tells her specifically that he'll see her at curtain call (Glastonbury Grove).

They know to go to the power line area because that's 430 miles from Twin Peaks, which was a clue from the Fireman. How Cooper knew that meant miles? Idk. They knew they were crossing over somewhere as well because Cooper mentions before the kiss that things might not be the same anymore where they're going.

Maybe we'll get more info in The Final Dossier since they had to have come up with this plan sometime in the past.

mjp2417

Banned

They were definitely heading 430 miles southeast of Twin Peaks. During the conversation with the Giant Teapot cosplaying as David Bowie the little ball stops on the southeast end of the infinity symbol dictating their direction. I'm not sure we have any idea of the concrete plan beyond save Laura/make things right, although Diane seems to understand that it is fraught with danger. What are they crossing over to is the biggest interpretive question of the season. No one really knows at this point.

Bebpo

Banned
Yo, wtf just happened? I hope in 3 months there is a solid theory explanation I can just read for this ending :| Everything despite the wackiness actually seemed pretty straightforward towards wrapping up the entire plot of TP in the season until this last ep, but last ep didn't do much for me and felt like it left a ton open instead. Ep17's ending also felt extremely rushed considering the long build up to the cooper/bob showdown. I also don't understand how Bob was still in evil cooper when I thought they took him out the last time he got shot?

hughesta

Banned
I don't think Cooper was the dreamer in a literal sense. He fell into Laura's dream, a dream that she fell into between two worlds, life and death, to try to escape from her tragedy. She's as happy in the dream as she could ever have been, but Cooper shows up to save her and wakes her from the dream into eternal nothingness. The tragedy of Dale Cooper is not that he's a sad man who envisions himself successful, which Dusk Golem says in his fantastic although personally disagreeable analysis, it's that he always thinks he can do good and defeat evil. Dale Cooper thinks he can go into Laura's dream, take her out, defeat Judy, and save her. All he can do is wake her from the dream of a miserable life into the nightmare of an early death.

Airola

So Laura says she's seen him in a dream

She's talking about the entire end sequence then?

What is going on

Fire Walk With Me.

That's just Fire Walk With Me. It's why she wrote the diary page that Hawk found earlier in the season.

I thought she wrote that because of Annie, she didn't actually see Cooper?

No, she sees Cooper. He warns her about the ring.

No and yes.

In Season 2 it is revealed that Laura was in the same episode 3 dream with Cooper. He wrote about that in her diary. Donna reads the page where Laura tells how she's in a red room with an old man and a little man and she whispers something to the old man's ear. And Cooper is excited to note he and Laura saw the same dream (or at least the red room portion of the dream).

But yeah, she also sees Cooper warning her in FWWM.

Kayhan

The dream had a bad Cooper and a good Cooper.

The real world in episode 18 had the real Cooper - neither good nor bad. A mix of the two Coopers we have had for most of the show.

Bebpo

Banned
When I finished the ep I was just disappointed and confused.
Now after catching up on this thread I'm angry and upset and feel this season was pointless :\

Maybe tomorrow there will be some more interesting things pieced together.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Twin Peaks itself couldn't have been a dream. We hear Sarah scream Laura's name in the final scene.

I'm almost wondering if something Lynch said might hold any important, where he said that the pilot to him is "Twin Peaks". And that he only watched the pilot again when making the new season.

(also, your thoughts above with the critique are very interesting! I'm still processing a lot and I certainly don't feel I've figured it out or anything, just putting together and thinking over some things.)

The more I think about it the more the final scene reminds me of the final scene of End of Evangelion where it ends like a knife to the gut, where resolution isnt as important as the impact that kinda just leaves you upset.

The more I think about it the more the final scene reminds me of the final scene of End of Evangelion where it ends like a knife to the gut, where resolution isnt as important as the impact that kinda just leaves you upset.

Lynch probably seen that and thought to himself, "this motherfucker here has the right idea"

Top Bottom