• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

JC Sera

I wrote up my current thoughts (warning massive dump)
– Fear that love might not be enough

– Gordon’s dream
– Phillip jefferies: who is that there to Cooper.
– Cooper, Mr C, Dougie (1), Dougie (2), Richard
– Richard is a different personality again, a mixture of Mr C and Cooper (cold personality, doesn’t even try the coffee)

– Spheres/Dimensions
– Mauve Sphere
– Connected to Sarah Palmer’s house, possibly “Judy”s domain
– Black Lodge/Red Room (intersection)
– Phillips’s motel
– The FWWM Painting House (Intersection)
– The Fireman’s Domain
– The White Room
– E18’s Alternate reality

– Dream Spheres
– Whether the dream sphere is just a sphere or the reality where laura palmer did not die; only went missing
– Audrey’s son is named Richard possibly after Richard the FBI agent
– Audrey without Laura Palmers death would not have met cooper, not have gone out of her way to help others, and would not have grown as a person, leading to the characterisation in season 3.
– Audrey and Carrie’s (Laura) dream spheres intersection
– Harold Smith potentially lived in his own sphere; Mrs Tremond opened the doorway to it. By giving him the Diary Laura puts it in a different sphere to the Twin Peaks sphere, thus safe from the supernatural omniscience of BOB. Harold may have recorded the stories of many Sphere possessors. To cross the threshold of his sphere would mean to wake up and accept reality. Donna is the first person to enter his domain that doesn’t and will not possess a sphere, that is why she is so “special/pure/different. His line “I am a lonely soul” may indicate he is the only inhabitant of his very small sphere. He died instead of waking up.
– Harold Smith is based off the Inman Diaries
– The appearance of “Doppleganger” Laura in “reality” occurred in Smith’s House.
– The “happy ending” of E17 may have been Coopers dream.

– Creation of Laura Palmer
– Not to combat bob, but to save Sarah. Laura and bob should have never ran into each other ideally
– Fireman may not necessarily good but neutral; laura was a good entity to neutralise what was growing in Sarah (possibly judy)
– The fireman puts out the fire/electricity incidents caused by spirits
– Reactive entity; is pro-active in planning, but is always reacting to the existence of an evil, does not prevent evil from existing
– by trying to change time cooper goes out of this sphere influence
– On that note Tremond/Chalfont do not act in the same realm of influence, but however are vaguely positive

–Infection of Sarah Palmer
– Running mythology of the white horse
– The woodsmen’s speech (horse)
– The white horse plate in carries house
– Spirit finger of the entity inside Sarah blackened
– Entity has a proboscis like the owl-fly
– Bob persists in the palmer house to feed the baby bug (maybe this is why he steals gambozia, feeding for two)

– Carrie reality and the Twin Peaks reality
– Once cooper passes this threshold he no longer has cosmic guidance
– The start of the season is the Fireman giving cooper the last guidance he can before cooper completely passes the threshold. Everything after the point of “Richard and Dianne” is beyond the control of Coopers cosmic guidance
– Once cooper passes his personality lacks warmth
– The diner “Judy”/the town itself is trapping Carrie, she is trying to escape it
– the white horse looks over her house
– Something is trying to kill/get Carrie/Laura
– Owner of the palmer house are tremond/chalfont, same name as those who gave Laura the painting, and first introduced us to gambozia
– When Laura wakes up, does everything fall into non-existence because she is dead

– Mr C
– Similar end to that of window earls
– Both tried to expand the influence of the supernatural beyond human capacity
– What was Mr. Cs goal? To kill naido/diane, working with “judy”? Or was it just to kill Cooper.
– Was the glass box intended to trap cooper, mother or judy?

– Dopplegangers vs Tulpas
– Are dopplegangers intrinsically evil counter parts? Episode 18 with Richard!Coop being a combination of Mr C and Coop raises this question. What was Mr. Cs goal? To kill naido/diane, working with “judy”? Or was it just to kill Cooper.
– Tulpas are artificial creations
– Does the creator of a Tulpa have control/hold over the tulpa.
– Do tulpas work like dawn from buffy, where they sort of just insert themselves into existence and vaguely into the memories of those around them.
– Was Annie a tulpa.
– Specifically a tulpa of multiple women. Mainly Caroline Earle + all the Twin Peaks Queens: Donna, Audrey & Shelly. Alternatively Caroline Earle and Norma. Alternatively; Annie was Norma’s sister who succeeded in committing suicide. The Current Annie is a Tulpa of that Annie & Caroline.
– If Annie is a tulpa of Caroline and Dead!Annie, it maybe why her mother doesn’t really acknowledge her existence.
– If Annie is a tulpa who created her? What was her purpose as a Tulpa (to lure Cooper into the Lodge? To have a reason for Cooper to chase Windom into the Lodge?)
– Was Annie created by a “Positive” spirit lodge.
– The arm has a doppleganger which works against cooper.
– or the arm doppleganger is warning cooper if her continues down this path it will lead to non-existence

– Did Diane every really exist?
– The “real” diane has red drapes and black/white finger nails
– The perception of the red room is only seen from coopers perspective. Maybe Diane is not based off the red room, but the images the red room brings up from coopers mind to portray itself is drawn from Diane?
– American girl/Naido refers to the experiment/mother of babylon/Judy(?) as mother (scene syncs up with the glass box/experiment scene)
– Alternatively Diane also seems potentially based off “Lil”
– Red diane maybe whats left of diane + avatar for the red lodge/naido
– Tulpa Diane introduced Dougie to her “sister”
– Parallel of being two different entities: Diane/Naido & Caroline/Annie. Both a love interest for Cooper.

– The blue rose task force / military overestimate the threat posed by Supernatural entities
– Supernatural entities don’t really cause more damage than one individual mortal serial killer.
– They are street level and personal.

mjp2417

Banned
the more I think about it the more I think Part 18 is the best, most horrific episode of television I've ever seen.

It is unquestionably this, whether or not it is the former. Like, Lynch's greatest film concludes with the protagonist literally curling up into a fetal position and blowing her fucking brains out after realizing that she has orchestrated the death of the love of her life. The finale to this is somehow even darker.

hedging their bets on selling a Cooper adventure for season 4 is pretty smart though

i hope at a minimum we get another movie or something. i'd be fine if this is really the end, but i will always want more

hamchan

I actually think Laura remembering everything at the end causing all the lights to turn off might be a good thing and the first step towards defeating Judy.

Another thing that makes me think this isn't so bleak a situation is that the Giant wanted Coop to get here. He told him specifically at the start of the series what to remember so he would be able to enter this alternate universe. He has a plan.

Mine's fried.

EEEEE-LEC-TRI-CITYYYY

hedging their bets on selling a Cooper adventure for season 4 is pretty smart though

i hope at a minimum we get another movie or something. i'd be fine if this is really the end, but i will always want more

People would just bitch that it's not the same Cooper. RichardCoop is seems to carry the damage of a 25 year ripened doppelganger inside him. He's WAY more what I expected of Cooper coming out of the Black Lodge after 25 years than what we got in Part 16 tbh.

Marcel

A big part of The Return has been the idea of "you can't go home again". Episode 18 just takes that idea even further to a natural, nightmarish conclusion. It's an episode of television that will stick with me for a long time.

zeioIIDX

The tone of the final 3 minutes ruin your joke.

Not really, I wasn't making a joke to be honest. Curb Your Enthusiasm tends to end episodes with an absurd/silly moment and that song starts playing and for me, episode 18 ended absurdly. Of course the last 3 minutes were pretty chilling and terrifying, as was all of episode 18, but it was just an absurd ending for me because I'm left with more questions now and I was left thinking, "Wait...that's it? That can't be it. This is how the series ends? On this note?"

On the other hand, there is so much to process and go through with Twin Peaks as a whole, it's a bit overwhelming when I think about it. Gotta sort through what stuff is a red herring, what stuff has meaning, and what stuff is possibly just vague, artsy, surreal "isn't this weird?" stuff that we might not be able to interpret at all because it's just Lynch having fun with a camera (don't hurt me for that, please.). I'd like to think that everything that has ever been filmed for Twin Peaks has actual meaning and isn't just there to be there for no reason. Maybe I'm just not intelligent enough to analyze or interpret the meaning for certain scenes like all of episode 8. Where do I even start if I want to connect the dots overall, so to speak? All I know is as a whole, I really enjoyed the experience of watching Twin Peaks and I like that there is more to delve into and figure out. Kinda like how a video game has replay value lol.

Edit: Man, there really was a lot of surreal and creepy moments in episode 18. Diane's sudden doppelganger seen from a distance, the sex scene with Dale's face getting gradually smothered, the location suddenly changing as Dale leaves the motel, MIKE and Dale walking into the house, the car following and then passing Diane/Dale, etc. Lynch really knows how to nail that awful, surreal dread that dreams and nightmares offer. In fact, I can't sleep right now. Not only did I have two cups of damn good coffee (and hot!) while watching the finale, I'm also just kinda creeped out right now and don't want to turn the lights off. Gonna watch Lost Highway right now for the first time. I will never, ever in my life watch anything from David Lynch while high because that would break my brain and terrify me beyond belief.

JohnDoe

Banned
Basically the way I see it is that Episode 17 gave closure to Cooper's return and Episode 18 is a bittersweet epilogue which potentially sets up a new adventure for Coop.
Cooper fucked up at the end of episode 17 and created Flashpoint/Cooppoint.
I still can't make sense of Coop's big transparent face after Mr. C and BOB died. WHAT is the dream?
My best bet right now is that he saw that vision during his time in the Black Lodge since Lodge beings like the giant seem to be able to move beyond time and space and Cooper might have seen that part in a dream.

Edit:

And LOL at us posting "we've seen Richard, where is Linda?" early in the episode. Goddamn.

People would just bitch that it's not the same Cooper. RichardCoop is seems to carry the damage of a 25 year ripened doppelganger inside him. He's WAY more what I expected of Cooper coming out of the Black Lodge after 25 years than what we got in Part 16 tbh.

Yeah that is true. But whatever. I still want to see them tell their story. I just hope a production company thinks it's worth funding, I guess.

Not really, I wasn't making a joke to be honest. Curb Your Enthusiasm tends to end episodes with an absurd/silly moment and that song starts playing and for me, episode 18 ended absurdly. Of course the last 3 minutes were pretty chilling and terrifying, as was all of episode 18, but it was just an absurd ending for me because I'm left with more questions now and I was left thinking, "Wait...that's it? That can't be it. This is how the series ends? On this note?"

On the other hand, there is so much to process and go through with Twin Peaks as a whole, it's a bit overwhelming when I think about it. Gotta sort through what stuff is a red herring, what stuff has meaning, and what stuff is possibly just vague, artsy, surreal "isn't this weird?" stuff that we might not be able to interpret at all because it's just Lynch having fun with a camera (don't hurt me for that, please.). I'd like to think that everything that has ever been filmed for Twin Peaks has actual meaning and isn't just there to be there for no reason. Maybe I'm just not intelligent enough to analyze or interpret the meaning for certain scenes like all of episode 8. Where do I even start if I want to connect the dots overall, so to speak? All I know is as a whole, I really enjoyed the experience of watching Twin Peaks and I like that there is more to delve into and figure out. Kinda like how a video game has replay value lol.

Edit: Man, there really was a lot of surreal and creepy moments in episode 18. Diane's doppelganger, the sex scene with Dale's face getting gradually smothered, the location suddenly changing as Dale leaves the motel, MIKE and Dale walking into the house, the car following and then passing Diane/Dale, etc. Lynch really knows how to nail that awful, surreal dread that dreams and nightmares offer. I will never, ever in my life watch anything from David Lynch while high because that would break my brain and terrify me beyond belief.

It was super duper spooky. I watched it in the middle of the night, in the dark, on a 55" TV, with headphones. The whole thing had me shook, but the extended empty black screen at the very end after Carrie screams really had me getting anxious. An hour later and I'm still turning on all the lights to go to the bathroom :lol

Wow.

What a fucking masterpiece.

Could not predict things but I started to understand what was going on and then the ending. :(

That is pretty fucked up and I write sad, "you've met a terrible fate, haven't you" endings all the time.

I just rewatched 17 and 18 and while on first watch it felt like 17 in total was the triumphant, goofy, fan-servicey episode that tied up a bunch of plot threads while 18 was the extreme fuck you counter to that, on second watch that whole sequence once Coop recognizes Naido/Diane becomes much more ominous and the entire second half feels closer in spirit to ep 18 than to the first half of ep 17. It would be interesting if this had aired for an unbroken two hours (like the first 2 episodes originally did).

Nailed it. I mean the superimposed Cooper face even says "we live inside a dream". The way this scene ends is super weird too. Something ominous and evil feels like it's about to happen - Gordon and Coop shout to each other and the lights go dark.....Then the superimposed image disappears and we just end up with Diane, Cole and Cooper outside a door at the great northern. It's really felt like we missed something in between.

Having said that, the superimposed Cooper could be just another way to indicate time has stopped like the image that shows the clock moving back and forwards and Sarah Palmer smashing Laura's picture but the glass moves backwards and forwards too.

Slaythe

Think it's up to Lynch, Showtime still probably see's value in having another go at this especially since GOT is off the air for at least 2 years.

What does GOT have to do with Twin Peaks exactly ?

edit :

I just rewatched part 18, I still think this is an incredible "film".

Probably a very disappointing "conclusion" to a series, but such a powerful and fascinating story. I still don't understand why Cooper is so cold and distant in the new world, despite remember who he is and being good.

Scrawnton

Heres my take on the final episode:

I am convinced Dale Cooper knows he is in a dream world or an alternate world at the end of episode 18. He doesn't react to the coffee when he drinks it and his demeanor gets more badass and assertive after that. He knew something was wrong with this world when he noticed he didn't enjoy the coffee (I mean come on, this is Cooper we are talking about; he loves coffee).

In the final seconds he has his doubts about the dream because it seems his plan to take Laura to Mother failed, but in the final seconds it succeeded and the dream ends as the show ends. He succeeded in wiping himself, Laura, and Mother out of existence.

Aye... I'm still iffy on those two final episodes, but honestly....I went to a house party, had some fun and yet the last few minutes of these episodes still fucking with me. It hooked me in.

If nothing else, at least the finale gave us such a haunting last scene. Seeing the cooper we all know and love realize that he fucked up, look at him as he's processing where he is, and then get shook as Laura gave one last scream in her realization, and you hear someone in the house shout her name....whew.

This may just be the best series finale closer ever for me. So bleak though, but I feel like this will be embedded.

edit: actually I don't even think it is him. the minute he left the sherriff's station with Diane he felt colder and more impersonal. his personality and speech was more like Mr. C even though his actions were more in line with Dale Cooper.

I am convinced Dale Cooper knows he is in a dream world or an alternate world at the end of episode 18. He doesn't react to the coffee when he drinks it and his demeanor gets more badass and assertive after that. He knew something was wrong with this world when he noticed he didn't enjoy the coffee (I mean come on, this is Cooper we are talking about; he loves coffee).

In the final seconds he has his doubts about the dream because it seems his plan to take Laura to Mother failed, but in the final seconds it succeeded and the dream ends as the show ends. He succeeded in wiping himself, Laura, and Mother out of existence.

I don't think he knows he's in a dream world. His last line is "What year is it?", so he seems to think they're just at the wrong point in time.

Slaythe

Lol, the coffee scene looked weird to you ?

Him being dead in bed while having sex didn't tip you off :p ?

Cooper's entire behavior changed the second they "crossed" to the other side.

As he said, "things might not be the same". And they sure weren't :p .

I can't get episode 18 out of my head.

I completely understand the frustration for it being a "bad conclusion", but it's so powerful and well shot as its own thing, I can't be mad. Every scene, every detail, I keep finding new ways to look at it. I think this might be the most enjoyable "stand alone" episode of the series. Certainly felt more like a movie than a series finale.

It's so so dark too. I find it fascinating how "cold Cooper" ends up being even more scary and unsettling than "evil Cooper". When he was talking to Laura in the car he had absolutely no warmth. So uncharacteristic.

I wrote up my current thoughts (warning massive dump)

Richard is not a "new personality".

Cooper has no idea who Richard is and refers to himself as special Agent Dale Cooper.

Scrawnton

I don't think he knows he's in a dream world. His last line is "What year is it?", so he seems to think they're just at the wrong point in time.

Wrong point in time in a dream that got screwed up. He was assertive and in control up until that point. He knew EXACTLY what to do but something went terribly long and he showed a moment of doubt and fear, then Mother revealed herself to Laura and the dream shattered and the show ended. It mirrors the ending of the original series very well. Cooper was in control and assertive up until a point where he wasnt and he showed fear and the Black Lodge won. Just like here; he had a moment of weakness and showed fear and that was enough for him to question his reality and Mother won.

Lol, the coffee scene looked weird to you ?

Him being dead in bed while having sex didn't tip you off :p ?

Cooper's entire behavior changed the second they "crossed" to the other side.

As he said, "things might not be the same". And they sure weren't :p .

I can't get episode 18 out of my head.

I completely understand the frustration for it being a "bad conclusion", but it's so powerful and well shot as its own thing, I can't be mad. Every scene, every detail, I keep finding new ways to look at it. I think this might be the most enjoyable "stand alone" episode of the series. Certainly felt more like a movie than a series finale.

It's so so dark too. I find it fascinating how "cold Cooper" ends up being even more scary and unsettling than "evil Cooper". When he was talking to Laura in the car he had absolutely no warmth. So uncharacteristic.

Richard is not a "new personality".

Cooper has no idea who Richard is and refers to himself as special Agent Dale Cooper.

I think Cooper knew that he was entering a different time or period during the sex scene but I think the coffee moment is when he realized 100% that this is a dream world of Mother that should not exist.

I am not upset with the ending. I think it is brilliant and very mind numbing. It is something I will try to solve for years to come. Very satisfied with it.

just look at how joyous everyone felt when he regained consciousness in episode 16. those few minutes of Cooper, that was the one from the old series. McLachlan's line delivery in that brief moment was completely different from what we saw in episode 18.

whatever he became once he drove with Diane felt considerably different. that Vedder song kind of foreshadowed this as well.

sphagnum

Banned
Are we sure the sex scene was actually something that happened between Dale/Richard and Diane? I thought maybe it was just in Diane's head - that once they crossed over and found a place to sleep, they did have sex but the whole situation reminded Diane too much of her rape by Mr. C and so she was visualizing that the whole time, so she left in the morning before Cooper woke up since she couldn't handle it. Hence seeing the tulpa, the motel and car being different, etc.

I just rewatched 17 and 18 and while on first watch it felt like 17 in total was the triumphant, goofy, fan-servicey episode that tied up a bunch of plot threads while 18 was the extreme fuck you counter to that, on second watch that whole sequence once Coop recognizes Naido/Diane becomes much more ominous and the entire second half feels closer in spirit to ep 18 than to the first half of ep 17. It would be interesting if this had aired for an unbroken two hours (like the first 2 episodes originally did).

Desperately awaiting conjoined fan-edits of Parts 1 & 2 and 17 & 18.

just look at how joyous everyone felt when he regained consciousness in episode 16. those few minutes of Cooper, that was the one from the old series. McLachlan's line delivery in that brief moment was completely different from what we saw in episode 18.

whatever he became once he drove with Diane felt considerably different. that Vedder song kind of foreshadowed this as well.

The last few minutes of Part 18 are heartbreaking. Coop's expression and demeanor as he realizes everything is wrong (; _ ;)

Bebpo

Banned
A lot of people are saying the ending is so bleak and powerful because of it. Can someone go more into detail about why it's so bleak? I didn't feel it was particularly bleak while watching it, mostly because I wasn't quite sure what was going on, but cooper goes into another world to find Laura, things don't work out, the end, idk didn't seem that bleak, just more of a cliffhanger ending.

When the twilight is gone and no songbirds are singing
When the twilight is gone you come into my heart
And here in my heart you will stay while I pray

My prayer is to linger with you
At the end of the day in a dream that's divine
My prayer is a rapture in blue
With the world far away and your lips close to mine

Tonight while our hearts are aglow
Oh tell me the words that I'm longing to know

My prayer and the answer you give
May they still be the same for as long as we live
That you'll always be there at the end of my prayer

I thought recreating Dougie meant that Cooper lost a part of himself in the final episode. It makes sense as he was acting a lot like Evil Coop without the evil. I know that doesn't explain how he wakes up normal again in episode 16 but I thought that was how it worked for most of this season.

Scrawnton

A lot of people are saying the ending is so bleak and powerful because of it. Can someone go more into detail about why it's so bleak? I didn't feel it was particularly bleak while watching it, mostly because I wasn't quite sure what was going on, but cooper goes into another world to find Laura, things don't work out, the end, idk didn't seem that bleak, just more of a cliffhanger ending.

To me the ending insinuates that everything Dale did was nearly for nothing. He worked hard to save Laura Palmer but I think in the final moments when Carrie Page heard Mother calling her name she awoke and realized who she was and Cooper showed signs out confusion and doubt about his mission, which is how Mother defeats him. To me the ending signifies that Laura either has to die or Mother will create a world will none of this ever existed, which means Dale lost. Dale can never complete his mission of beating Judy/Mother because she will always have the final punch. I think Dale made it further than Chet in his struggle against mother but much like Phillip Jeffrey's, Dale may have learned in the final seconds that he lost and will always lose to Mother.

Cooper wanted to save Laura and bring her home. Instead he seems to have created some reality where Laura is alive but clearly in a terrible place (assuming she killed the man in the house) and then when he takes her “home”, her family isn’t there and to top it off she seems to have realised what happened to Laura. Which would understandly be a shitty thing to then have to live with. It’s bleak as fuck.

What was up with the gunshot in the sheriff's office? Truman's hat shot up like some cartoon.

I lmao'd. How can anyone defend the effects this season *flashbacks to the car bomb*

Dreamers, they never learn
Beyond the point
Of no return
Then it's too late
The damage is done
The damage is done

Still not sure how I feel about the finale but fuck me that final scene was horrifying. I'm entranced every time Sheryl Lee is on screen, how did she never make it big?

Slaythe

I thought recreating Dougie meant that Cooper lost a part of himself in the final episode. It makes sense as he was acting a lot like Evil Coop without the evil. I know that doesn't explain how he wakes up normal again in episode 16 but I thought that was how it worked for most of this season.

No, Cooper was fine until they crossed to the other side. He was still smiling to Diane before that. And it's literally right after that he changed.

His "Turn off the lights" was glacial.

On top of what others have said, Cooper, the joyful optimistic coffee lover turned into a robot reminiscent of his evil counterpart. That didn't exactly send happy vibes.

Addi

For some reason the "transition" that is weirdest to me is not Cooper waking up in a different hotel, but the one at 430 miles. They just drive into an alternate reality? What was that?

I'm wondering if the ending of episode 17 and 18 are connected. That the screams we hear after Laura disappears are the same screams as in the finale. That in the moment she disappears, she ends up inside Carrie standing in front of the house.

Why is Lynch so scared to take risks like, say, Andy or Truman getting hurt by Evil Cooper, but not to end the season (and presumably series) with an acid trip that ignores most of what we saw on screen for 16+ hours? That act 3 Dragonbob vs. Hulk fight was just so laughably bad. Was that his idea of a conventional ending?

Why did Andy have a vision and then it awkwardly cuts to him offering Coop a chair?

Ugh. I wanted to like the finale. Episodes 14-16 were promising. But I can't defend this.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My feelings are simply this.

Episode 17 was a strong culmination of heavy threads sewn by the season thus far, ending by cementing the story as one thematically dedicated to Cooper and Laura, leaving a lingering unsettlingness in its resolution.
And Episode 18 continued that unsettlingness as a long stretch of the surreal, like watching a disjointed journey of correction that just feels...wrong.

Plenty to digest, but as Lynch aims to evoke sensations and emotions, I feel Episode 18 did that fittingly.

Slaythe

For some reason the "transition" that is weirdest to me is not Cooper waking up in a different hotel, but the one at 430 miles. They just drive into an alternate reality? What was that?

I'm wondering if the ending of episode 17 and 18 are connected. That the screams we hear after Laura disappears are the same screams as in the finale. That in the moment she disappears, she ends up inside Carrie standing in front of the house.

It's actually the same scream when she is "absorbed" by the Lodge too.

Which I find pretty damning. It's repeated 3 times in both the Lodge and the final scene.

The one in the woods is probably the same scream but it just plays once.

Top Bottom