• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

Then he messed up real bad! Should have just info dumped straight into Cooper's head like he did Andy.

Anyways nah, I think everything is turning out like the Giant wants, which makes the ending less bleak if we assume the Giant is good.

I think the ending is significantly less bleak than a lot of people are assuming. It's the beginning of a new mystery, not a cosmic tale of Cooper's tragic failings.

The Jumping Man being Sarah/Mother/the ultimate big bad of the series is something I sure didn't expect. This shot seems to be the moment where she sees what Dale is up to and is like "not on my watch".

Fuck me I didn't catch that at all. It was super dark on my TV. Watched it again just now and I'm scarred for life. You're dead on.

HoJu

I think the ending is significantly less bleak than a lot of people are assuming. It's the beginning of a new mystery, not a cosmic tale of Cooper's tragic failings.
Both things can be true. He failed at bringing Laura Palmer back home, and reality got fucked up. He lost.

What's this Jumping Man = Judy thing?

After Coop and MIKE go up the stairs to the Dutchmans we get that shot of the Shakey Stairs from the trailer and then we see a blur/jumping man go down them.

The above interpretation, I believe, is correct. Judy is leaving the Black Lodge to stop Coop's plan.

Both things can be true. He failed at bringing Laura Palmer back home, and reality got fucked up. He lost.

So did the Fireman predict that he would lose? Because everything that happened post him failing at getting 1989 Laura back home that night was hinted at by the Fireman in their conversation at the beginning of the series, and everything the Fireman has wanted to happen so far has happened.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
When Evil Coop arrived the screen originally had the Palmer house (which would have reunited Bob and Mother). He shifts it to the police station

Yep! Mr. C seemed quite puzzled to be at the police station in the first place. The only piece of the puzzle there that concerned him was Naido, and I doubt she would have mattered at all if he went straight to the Palmer house.

The Fireman's motivations seem to line up in such a way that he would want to guide Cooper into the 'right' path. Perhaps the Fireman himself realized that this was the only way to undo everything that BOB and Mother had messed with. Cooper, being the boyscout that he is, followed what he was given to the best of his ability. But maybe Mother got the last laugh in after all...

It's not really a mystery; he completely fucked up time. He tried to do something good without thinking about the consequences.

PizzaFace

Banned
So Coop and Diane drove into the alternate dimension....can they just drive back?

It's not really a mystery; he completely fucked up time. He tried to do something good without thinking about the consequences.

I don't know if I'd say he wasn't thinking about the consequences, he said somethings will change, he seemed to be (somewhat) aware of the risks and what was going to happen, but I like the idea that at the end of the day he is just a man who was messing wth ancient forces far above and beyond his comprehension.

Alec

So did the Fireman predict that he would lose? Because everything that happened post him failing at getting 1989 Laura back home that night was hinted at by the Fireman in their conversation at the beginning of the series, and everything the Fireman has wanted to happen so far has happened.
Yeah, 430, Richard and Linda, the sound it makes. The Fireman knew Cooper would end up where he did at the very end.

liquidtmd

Banned
The Fireman knew Cooper would end up where he did at the very end.

i-am-so-sorry-twin-peaks.jpg

Sethista

I was so in during episode 18. When I saw the other diane, I was just thinking that other versions would appear to try to correct what they were doing, since they probably done it before, and BAM, another diane appeared. I had a sense I knew what was going on, and that fleeting moment felt good.

The idea of a loop in whick coop always fails to course correct is very interesting. Hm being so sure the house would fix everything, and then having that really not give him any clues, was great. But in the end, this was a garbage episode because it lacked the mullholand drive element. THat movie was just as vague, but gave us enough clues and information along the way that we can pretty much build the pieces of the puzzle to understand it.

Episode 18 introduced 5 dofferent pieces in the last 20 min of it, and offered nothing in return for us to mull over. Alot of promise, but irrelevant.

A shame.

jett

D-Member

This shit again.
People can genuinely like things you absolutely don't. It's fine this is only a TV show.

Keep my name out your mouth breh

You don't know me

Apologize to Dougie

Hah.

I had just finished watching both episodes when I wrote that post. I was just so pissed man. Ending in another inexplicable cliffhanger is just mean. Mean to the audience. And looking at the dismal ratings I don't see any chance for a season 4. Maybe in 25 years, directed by CyberLynch.

I'll say this much about episode 18, it actually flew by for me, even more than episode 17, I did not realize an hour had passed when the credits started rolling. I let out a literal NOOOO.

lol.

Oh well.

Chitown B

Assuming there will be no season 4, most signs point that way as of now, some of the questions we still have could be touched on with the upcoming book releasing in October.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1250163307/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm cool with how things turned out though. It's Lynch's and Frost's story to tell after all. The biggest take away from watching this series for me was, not everything has to make sense or have a crystal clear answer. I guess we kinda expect that with our entertainment, we want resolution for everything, we're so used to that comfortable small bubble it creates where we are told everything we want to know, eventually. Lynch, at times, ventures into the unknowns that plague our own realities and existence, some of which have no clear answers, and sprinkles them into his storytelling. Just like dwelling on our own unknowns can be uncomfortable, season 3 made us feel that as well. Can't say that's a bad thing.

They won't. The book is set between 2 and 3

Mistah C.

Mistah C.

It's pretty amazing to just enjoy these scenes knowing how everything fits together. The way Lynch shoots and fills a room. The way everything sounds. I can't believe there's 18 hours of this.

Cheebo

Banned
Mean to the audience. And looking at the dismal ratings I don't see any chance for a season 4.

You do realize the President of Showtime said they would do a season 4 without question if Lynch wanted to, right? They made that very clear just within the past few weeks.

If there is a season 4 showtime would fund it and air it without question, they have already said this.

It all hinges on if Lynch wanted to ever do more. And my hunch is he is done.

JohnDoe

Banned
Hah.

I had just finished watching both episodes when I wrote that post. I was just so pissed man. Ending in another inexplicable cliffhanger is just mean. Mean to the audience. And looking at the dismal ratings I don't see any chance for a season 4. Maybe in 25 years, directed by CyberLynch.

I'll say this much about episode 18, it actually flew by for me, even more than episode 17, I did not realize an hour had passed when the credits started rolling. I let out a literal NOOOO.

lol.

Oh well.
Honestly I can't blame people for not liking it. (Same with Episode 8) I just don't get why some of those people have to practically insult everyone who does.

Personally, after the finale of Season 2 an ending like this is what I wanted/expected. Guess I'm a masochist.

charpunk

Mark Frost liked this tweet, which is probably my favorite take on the finale I've seen. It's probably been posted here before.

fElZDl2.jpg

It’s what makes the most sense. 17 felt like closure to a lot of what was going on in this season. 18 felt like something completely different.

Cheebo

Banned
I'm honestly thinking there will be more, sore Mont not have done well during live TV but it got ShowTime paid with subs and I'm sure streaming numbers were high

Showtimes President didn't give a "we'll see" sort of nonanswer when asked about Season 4. He point blank said they would do a 4th season, without hesitation, if Lynch wanted.

So Showtime was happy enough.

Blader

Does it even matter if there is a season 4? Lynch could 'resolve' this cliffhanger and mystery, but then he'd just start a new one and end it with a new cliffhanger. He prefers the mystery to always go on; he doesn't want a definitive, everything-wrapped-up ending.

wwm0nkey

Showtimes President didn't give a "we'll see" sort of nonanswer when asked about Season 4. He point blank said they would do a 4th season, without hesitation, if Lynch wanted.

So Showtime was happy enough.
Well Lynch wants to as well, so guess I should buckle up

I would literally shit if Lynch decided to make a film followup to this. Or hell anything feature length really since I've been thinking throughout this whole season (especially ep. 8) that it's his retirement project to go out on a bang

Dudes still got something left in the tank

Courage

Does it even matter if there is a season 4? Lynch could 'resolve' this cliffhanger and mystery, but then he'd just start a new one and end it with a new cliffhanger. He prefers the mystery to always go on; he doesn't want a definitive, everything-wrapped-up ending.

Well, I just want it because I want more Twin Peaks.

HoJu

that's true. maybe lost isn't the right word, but i don't know if Cooper will ever truly save Laura

Top Bottom