• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

I get the feeling that Kyle doesn't know much more about the character than we do, him being told that 'Richard'(he actually identifies himself as Dale Cooper) is a different character doesn't mean he can't be the same Cooper that acts differently. Which is not necessarily what I think, but it's worth not ruling it out.

He was told enough that he should play Richard Coop differently. Beyond that he's pretty much in the dark about it all. It's difficult to wrap my head around.

If Richard is, even in a subtle way, a different version of Cooper, or different enough that Kyle got direction specifying that, then I guess that makes it even more likely that Diane lost herself to the transition between worlds. I wonder what the importance of her seeing her doppleganger that night was then.

hughesta

Banned
If Richard is, even in a subtle way, a different version of Cooper, or different enough that Kyle got direction specifying that, then I guess that makes it even more likely that Diane lost herself to the transition between worlds. I wonder what the importance of her seeing her doppleganger that night was then.
That was Linda, waiting to take her place once she steps inside the motel.

Aaron

1) it's the exact point. The first half of part 17 was a cartoony dream sequence where all goes well and the hero triumphs, gets the girl and all. To which the giant Cooper head said "we live inside a dream".
Except the whole sequence was so boring considering all the great characters involved. Watching it felt like a waste of time, which is the opposite of Twin Peaks at its best.

2) the roadhouse stuff matters a lot thanks to Audrey. It proves the dream world isn't entirely made up and works like a mirror of reality. It never served another purpose, and it's not like we expected huge stuff for Billy and Tia.
Maybe you didn't. I expected like half of the series to have a point to it, and not end up being pure filler that was strange for strangeness sake. For me, Lynch's strangeness is best when it has some internal consistency. When it feels like jumbled pieces of the puzzle. Instead, the Return felt like 9 episodes packed with nonsense to bring it up to 18. Half the cast does nothing, and half of the remaining were just there for fanservice.

Yeah that jumped out at me as well on rewatch. Has anyone been able to determine that it was Sarah's voice specifically shouting Laura! at the end?

It's Sarah calling Laura from downstairs in the pilot episode. Grace Zabriskie is also in the credits but doesn't appear on screen in the episode.

Cheebo

Banned
Maybe you didn't. I expected like half of the series to have a point to it, and not end up being pure filler that was strange for strangeness sake. For me, Lynch's strangeness is best when it has some internal consistency. When it feels like jumbled pieces of the puzzle. Instead, the Return felt like 9 episodes packed with nonsense to bring it up to 18. Half the cast does nothing, and half of the remaining were just there for fanservice.

I can't think of a single scene that wasnt essential in the end. Episode 18 for example does not work in the slightest without the Audrey scenes. Nothing ended up being filler.

Solo

That's because her photo appears in the opening credits sequence

Maclachan was credited in every episode too but wasn't in all of them either.....I think. I may be wrong but I feel like he wasn't in 1 or 2 eps.

Crediting is weird and funny.

Mr. Doop

Maclachan was credited in every episode too but wasn't in all of them either.....I think. I may be wrong but I feel like he wasn't in 1 or 2 eps.

Crediting is weird and funny.

Maclachlan appears in every single episode I think. He's barely in a few of them, but they all have at least one appearance.

It's Sarah calling Laura from downstairs in the pilot episode. Grace Zabriskie is also in the credits but doesn't appear on screen in the episode.

Sheryl Lee is credited in every episode because her face appears in the credits in every episode.

Grace is credited in Part 18 because that's her voice.

Maclachlan appears in every single episode I think. He's barely in a few of them, but they all have at least one appearance.
Yep. Even if sometimes that's archival footage or you don't see his whole face, or what have you. Kyle is in every episode.

Solo

Sheryl Lee cashing in on those sweet 25-year-old prom queen photo royalties

No joke, and it speaks to how Twin Peaks evokes deep feelings within you, that Sheryl Lee photo is one of my favorites across all of television and film. Despite it marking a happy moment, you can't help but feel that sense of impending dread when you see it.

Made even moreso by watching Judy stab the shit out of it.

Speaking of that episode 18 voice, it's from when Sarah calls for Laura in the pilot, right?

Yeah.

I'm loving this revelation though, that Kyle was playing a different character in Part 18.

Richard Cooper, presumably, since he still introduces himself as Cooper. Like a dolt, that didn't occur to me, that Richard is a first name and Cooper a last name. Hah.

So does our Cooper ever make it back? Is Part 18 all just alternate reality stuff? Richard is still looking for Laura. Enough of him remains, so I'm guessing it isn't just a parallel Coop.

But I'm even more open to the idea that our Coop went 'home' and this is a Tulpa going on. I don't think that would be selfish after 25 years trapped in the lodge.

I'm just not sure that I believe it myself.

430 was Coop trying to get back to his time... or trying to find Laura... I'm not sure which. It would make sense as a journey back through time, but Diane is there. She passed through with Coop and Gordon to wherever the door was that lead to the motel... so perhaps she also stepped out of time via the lodge... but that seems kind of wrong.

So 430 is trying to find Laura. To bring her back, I guess.

How different would everything be if Laura had just gone missing vs dying? Not that different I'd imagine.

Pete Martell would still presumably end up dead in the bank explosion, and so on.

Joqu

Cool, it sounded so familiar to me.

How different would everything be if Laura had just gone missing vs dying? Not that different I'd imagine.

Well, I do feel like it would have had a major effect on Leland / BOB. No idea in what way though.

hughesta

Banned
yo he introduces himself to Alice as "Special Agent Dale Cooper" and is confused when the note calls him Richard. I think Coop and Richard simply merge souls, and Cooper's memory and determination won out, but Richard's personality and attitude beat Coop's.

Chitown B

I didn't pick it up the first time, but rewatching part 16 when Diane talks about it, it's possible that the smile she's talking about is Mr. C having another 'BOB smile' moment, which would definitely creep the fuck out of anyone!

he smiled to Gordon in the jail

Slaythe

Yeah.

I'm loving this revelation though, that Kyle was playing a different character in Part 18.

Richard Cooper, presumably, since he still introduces himself as Cooper. Like a dolt, that didn't occur to me, that Richard is a first name and Cooper a last name. Hah.

So does our Cooper ever make it back? Is Part 18 all just alternate reality stuff? Richard is still looking for Laura. Enough of him remains, so I'm guessing it isn't just a parallel Coop.

What are you talking about ? He doesn't introduce himself as "Cooper", he says "I'm special agent Dale Cooper". There's no Richard Cooper...

And this is "our" Cooper.

What are you talking about ? He doesn't introduce himself as "Cooper", he says "I'm special agent Dale Cooper". There's no Richard Cooper...

And this is "our" Cooper.

Only watched it once, so forgive my memory being off.

I'm talking about what Kyle said in the variety interview about how he approached playing 'Richard', which he apparently approached differently to playing Dale. I forgot he specifically called himself Dale.

yo he introduces himself to Alice as "Special Agent Dale Cooper" and is confused when the note calls him Richard. I think Coop and Richard simply merge souls, and Cooper's memory and determination won out, but Richard's personality and attitude beat Coop's.

Yeah, thanks for the clarification. This is what I had initially presumed to be the reason for him acting a little different, vs some people theorizing there was some Mr C mixed in there.

I just realized I may not have watched the show "properly". I binged the original series on CraveTV, then rented Fire Walk with Me and moved on to the new series. I guess that means I skipped Missing Pieces, which might explain why Phillip Jeffries seemed way underrepresented in what I've seen considering how key he is to the whole mythology.

Joqu

Hm, if we're dealing with a merger I don't feel like we can say Richard's personality and attitude outright beat out Coop's per se. We don't know a whole lot about how Richard was supposed to be in the first place, and personally I thought he still felt a lot like Coop, but slightly 'off', though maybe that's just the memories doing their thing. Still, could be Coop won out in general, but is still affected. Could be it's a more even mix. I'm not sure.

Slaythe

Only watched it once, so forgive my memory being off.

I'm talking about what Kyle said in the variety interview about how he approached playing 'Richard', which he apparently approached differently to playing Dale. I forgot he specifically called himself Dale.

Yeah, thanks for the clarification. This is what I had initially presumed to be the reason for him acting a little different, vs some people theorizing there was some Mr C mixed in there.

You mean this ?
Did you feel that Richard, in the finale, was a distinct character of his own, or just Cooper with a different name?

He was… different. The way it was described to me, he’s just a little harder. So it was another variation, sort of a subtle variation obviously, compared to the other two, but a subtle variation of Cooper. And so that was that last hour, Watching him navigate that.

That's the interviewer calling him Richard though. Kyle never said he did "play Richard".

We obviously all noticed the cold Cooper variation, but it's still up in the air what caused it.

Reality travel side effects

Merge with his shadow self

Inhabiting Richard's body

Just being super sore about the whole thing and reveals himself as a passive agressive ass when he's pissed

--

Pick your poison !

Menome

I just realized I may not have watched the show "properly". I binged the original series on CraveTV, then rented Fire Walk with Me and moved on to the new series. I guess that means I skipped Missing Pieces, which might explain why Phillip Jeffries seemed way underrepresented in what I've seen considering how key he is to the whole mythology.

Even in The Missing Pieces you only get an extra minute or so of footage. It's nothing that's crucial for Season 3 at all, don't worry.

(Watch it anyway though, as there's still some nice additional moments in there!)

Mudcrab

Man looking back, nothing in TV filled me with so much pure dread as when Mr C ran into Andy outside the sheriff's office.

Goddamn was episode 17 an incredible emotional roller coaster...

SomTervo

I can't think of a single scene that wasnt essential in the end. Episode 18 for example does not work in the slightest without the Audrey scenes. Nothing ended up being filler.

I actually enjoyed the Audrey scenes but I don't see how they impacted anything in the Return whatsoever. It felt like empty trolling from Lynch. (Which I don't necessarily consider a bad thing.)

Even in The Missing Pieces you only get an extra minute or so of footage. It's nothing that's crucial for Season 3 at all, don't worry.

(Watch it anyway though, as there's still some nice additional moments in there!)

What? Doesn't it add like over an hour? Unless you're just referring to Jefferies.

Blader

There's not much more to him there. There's a slightly alternate scene of his appearance in the room with Gordon and Coop, and there are two short bits of him at a hotel before and after he teleports away.

He is pretty underrepresented relative to his importance to the story. IIRC Lynch was going to do a movie around his character, but after FWWM bombed he abandoned the idea.

Man looking back, nothing in TV filled me with so much pure dread as when Mr C ran into Andy outside the sheriff's office.

Goddamn was episode 17 an incredible emotional roller coaster...

I really thought he was going to pull a gun on Andy then and there

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
it's interesting, Part 17 actually just as "off" to me as 18 initially did (until the final scene of course).

Gordon just dumping loads of exposition about a super crazy plan with Briggs and Cooper that he had no reason to hide from Albert (especially after he questioned Albert about why he would hide that Cooper/Jeffries info from him earlier in the season), all of the fuckery at the station (the fight between One Punch Man and the BOB orb was...kind of bad) and then Cooper/Diane/Gordon just seemingly teleported to the Great Northern basement.

Part 18 just had a 10 minute car ride in an alternate dimension :)

SomTervo

Whenever Mr C is mentioned in the far past, the stuff with Diane, the meeting with Briggs. You get the impression that at least at first, he seems like regular coop. Diane mentions his evil smile when she was raped. Have we ever seen Mr. C smile in the entire series?

How's Annie?

Yeah.

In the scene at the Palmer house, he introduces himself as 'Special Agent Dale Cooper'. I thought I may have misremembered it so just watched the scene. ON MY PHONE. GET REAL.

It’s possible I’ll think differently when I rewatch it, but the only major criticism I can think of is the repetition of the Dr. Jacoby scenes. I completely lost my shit when he first did his YouTube show, but the second and third time not so much.

eXistor

Saw the finale yesterday and it just keeps lingering in my mind. I've read this entire thread and the previous OT to keep up with the theories and interpretations and such that I could never come up with, so thanks all of you for providing me with so much to mull over. For me though, this season has been nothing short of phenomenal. It's far from perfect; I really dislike the use of CG in it, it just looks incredibly silly and cheap to me and takes me out of the moment. Lots of plotlines that just go nowhere, outside of providing some fun little vignettes (might be the point of them actually).

Overall though, this season has been wholly entrancing, unpredictable and surprising. I loved episode 18 personally, it felt like a pilot for another season, but it also adds so many more layers to an already layered puzzle-box of a show.

If we never get any more Twin Peaks I'd be fine with that, this season has given us much to contemplate; it's the type of show we're gonna be talking about for years to come. It's just so damn mysterious and intruiging to me. So I wanna thank Lynch and Frost for making this delicious enigma of a story but also this community (and others) for the many hours of entertainment and viewpoints. Here's to much more over the coming years!

So Julee Cruise is pissed

I have a hard time believing her story. Lynch sets are famous for being some of the coolest, most relaxed places in the business, even during intense stuff. Add to that, the last time they fell out for years she eventually admitted she was at fault and threw shit in the recording booth after gaining a huge ego post-Peaks.

Top Bottom