• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

Weird distortion effects have happened on a number of bullet hits. Warden Murphy and Duncan Todd's assistant had them too, I think.

This looked like something ghostly was leaking out of her, it was dissimilar from the other effects you mentioned. Someone screencapped the moment in the first OT, I'll try to find it.

I could be wrong of course!

If you're going to go as a Kyle character this halloween, you know who it has to be....

giphy.gif

source.gif

source.gif

I'm 100% being Dougie.. I just need to find a green blazer like that.

Except Diane is pulled into the Red Room and her body disappears from the real world.

I think this is just an effect Lynch uses to suggest a strong bullet impact.

Well that's the point, it looks like not all tulpas get auto-transported to the lodge when they die.

#notalltulpas

Joqu

I'm curious, I know the concept has to do with Buddhism but has the word Tulpa been used in Twin Peaks before this season? I feel like it has been, but that might just be me frequenting Twin Peaks message boards for the fan theories. It has definitely been used by the fandom for a while.

People have come from further afield. And you'll be well looked after even if you travel alone. I know it's a big trip. I didn't make it until I was at least living in the same country (still a six hour flight away mind).

If I can convince at least one of you nerds to go to the fest I will be happy. Maligna won't count since he's already been.

You've got no idea how much you're tempting me here! But I'm afraid it's more of a financial matter on my end. Hopefully it's a temporary one, it should be. I'm just a poor college student right now.

Anyway, I do hope you manage to convince another nerd~

PolishQ

I'm curious, I know the concept has to do with Buddhism but has the word Tulpa been used in Twin Peaks before this season? I feel like it has been, but that might just be me frequenting Twin Peaks message boards for the fan theories. It has definitely been used by the fandom for a while.

They mentioned dugpas in season 2 but not tulpas. But it's not a stretch to think that all of the Tibet references eventually led people to learn about tulpas.

Linkin112

Can someone please clarify Hastings and his role here in the grand scheme of things + Davenport.
Hastings and Davenport were really into Black Lodge/The Zone stuff. They find out coordinates for one of the openings and meet Major Briggs within it. He gives them coordinates to whatever DoppelCooper is looking for in Twin Peaks, but Woodsmen show up and kill him and Ruth.

DoppelCooper then uses the remains of Briggs and Ruth's bodies to frame Hastings. I forgot what Hastings' wife had to do with anything though.

Hastings and Davenport were really into Black Lodge/The Zone stuff. They find out coordinates for one of the openings and meet Major Briggs within it. He gives them coordinates to whatever DoppelCooper is looking for in Twin Peaks, but Woodsmen show up and kill him and Ruth.

DoppelCooper then uses the remains of Briggs and Ruth's bodies to frame Hastings. I forgot what Hastings' wife had to do with anything though.
I believe she was involved in the framing, since she knows who Mr C is before the time he shows up and shoots her. I think she wanted him out of her life in a way that would get her the house etc and she could be with George.

"You're going down. Life in prison Bill, life in prison."

Kerned

Banned
I'm wondering if Naido's weird stitched up face slits might indicate that she is wearing a fleshy mask. Maybe Diane will be revealed when the mask comes off.

PolishQ

No, Hastings and Davenport give BRIGGS the coordinates. He wants to move to a new, safer place. He instructs them to get the coordinates from a military server.

Something to look forward to in addition to the actual conclusion of the season...

I have a feeling Chromatics are going to announce the release of their new album Dear Tommy when it ends

They debuted Shadow in the premiere (credited as "from Dear Tommy"), they obviously showed up again later, and Johnny Jewel has a heavy hand in the scoring.

They've been doing weekly giveaways on their facebook, I won one of em and they sent a bunch of stuff including a weird poster that was basically a mix of Twin Peaks stuff (Laura's framed photo, etc) and a bunch of vinyls of their new album lying around with tracklist, art and all.

Would likely end up one of, if not my favorite album of the year if so. Here's hoping.

Linkin112

No, Hastings and Davenport give BRIGGS the coordinates. He wants to move to a new, safer place. He instructs them to get the coordinates from a military server.
Ah right, I jumbled that up. Doesn't really make sense for Hastings and Ruth to do anything with the Twin Peaks coordinates otherwise

Joqu

They mentioned dugpas in season 2 but not tulpas. But it's not a stretch to think that all of the Tibet references eventually led people to learn about tulpas.

Oh yeah, I definitely remember dugpas being mentioned. Windom Earle did in his little flashback video, right? I guess that's where it started.

Linkin112

I remember thinking the tagline for Part 17 "The past dictates the future" was gonna be a Log Lady line, but she has passed. I wonder who it belongs to then.

Blader

Seeing if I understand the Hastings/Garland story right:

-Hastings and Ruth Davenport are investigating the "Zone" (White Lodge? Black Lodge?) out of personal interest, which eventually leads them to the the 2240 Sycamore address.

-There they enter the Zone/Lodge and meet Briggs, who has been there his disappearance in Twin Peaks (?) and needs to relocate to a new safe place. He instructs Hastings and Ruth to access a military server and obtain some coordinates for him.

-They return to 2240 Sycamore with the coordinates and give them to Briggs. Briggs disappears. Hastings wakes up in his bed, is later arrested where he's told that Ruth has been murdered.

-Ruth had written the coordinates on her arm and her decapitated body is still at 2240 Sycamore. But her head and Garland's decapitated body end up together in a hotel room (?).

-Coop's Doppelganger had been using Hastings' wife to have Hastings framed for murder, then kills the wife to tie up the loose end.

Assuming that's all correct, then: How does Briggs end up dead, with his head separated from his body? Who killed Ruth (the Doppelganger? The Woodsmen?) and how did her head end up both separated from her body but also attached to Garland's body? And what exactly is the Doppelganger's role in all this? Presumably he just needs the coordinates on Ruth's body, but couldn't he have gotten those by just going after her instead of framing Hastings for all this?

I remember thinking the tagline for Part 17 "The past dictates the future" was gonna be a Log Lady line, but she has passed. I wonder who it belongs to then.

Sounds like a Lodge spirit line. MIKE?
Laura?

-Hastings and Ruth Davenport are investigating the "Zone" (White Lodge? Black Lodge?) out of personal interest, which eventually leads them to the the 2240 Sycamore address.

-There they enter the Zone/Lodge and meet Briggs, who has been there his disappearance in Twin Peaks (?) and needs to relocate to a new safe place. He instructs Hastings and Ruth to access a military server and obtain some coordinates for him.

-They return to 2240 Sycamore with the coordinates and give them to Briggs. Briggs disappears. Hastings wakes up in his bed, is later arrested where he's told that Ruth has been murdered.

-Ruth had written the coordinates on her arm and her decapitated body is still at 2240 Sycamore. But her head and Garland's decapitated body end up together in a hotel room (?).

-Coop's Doppelganger had been using Hastings' wife to have Hastings framed for murder, then kills the wife to tie up the loose end.

Assuming that's all correct, then: How does Briggs end up dead, with his head separated from his body? Who killed Ruth (the Doppelganger? The Woodsmen?) and how did her head end up both separated from her body but also attached to Garland's body? And what exactly is the Doppelganger's role in all this? Presumably he just needs the coordinates on Ruth's body, but couldn't he have gotten those by just going after her instead of framing Hastings for all this?

Laura?

Does anyone else, when they see "MIKE" in all caps here it in BOB's loud whisper?

"MIKE. MIKE. Can you hear me?"

Chitown B

Laura?

I don't think Bad Coop has any role in that. Otherwise he'd have the coordinates. I think something to do with the lodge sliced a horizontal plane and cut both their heads off - then they swapped, but since his was already floating in the Zone, he didn't get her body and it was just dumped out. Her head wasn't attached to him, it was just laying there. Hastings woke up in his bed and she ended up in her bed - that must be something the lodge does.

EdmondD

I think MIKE is the one pulling tulpas into the Red Room after they die. I don't think if a tulpa dies that it is automatically pulled into the Red Room. I'm just guessing though.

Goldmund

I don't think Bad Coop has any role in that. Otherwise he'd have the coordinates. I think something to do with the lodge sliced a horizontal plane and cut both their heads off - then they swapped, but since his was already floating in the Zone, he didn't get her body and it was just dumped out. Her head wasn't attached to him, it was just laying there. Hastings woke up in his bed and she ended up in her bed - that must be something the lodge does.
How do you explain the call between Jeffries-Impersonator and Bad Coop in part 2 then?
Mr C wishes to talk to the Tea Pot said:
"Phillip?" -- "You're late." -- "Couldn't be helped." -- "I missed you in New York but I see you're still in Buckhorn." -- "And you're still nowhere, is that correct?" -- "You met, with Major Garland Briggs." -- (taken aback) "How did you know that? ... Phillip?" -- "Actually, I just called to say goodbye." -- "This is Phillip Jeffries, right?" -- "You're going back in tomorrow and I will be with BOB again." -- "Who is this?"

PolishQ

How do you explain the call between Jeffries-Impersonator and Bad Coop in part 2 then?

That could refer to their meeting 25 years ago. Perhaps the Jeffries-Impersonator just found out about it (for instance, if it became apparent that Bad Coop created a Briggs tulpa).

Goldmund

That could refer to their meeting 25 years ago. Perhaps the Jeffries-Impersonator just found out about it (for instance, if it became apparent that Bad Coop created a Briggs tulpa).
Possibly. Although the way information is shared during the conversation suggests that the topic of previous such calls was "recent events, why we have been causing them and how they served a common ever-nearing goal". But, yes, the encounter in The Dutchman's reinforced that Jeffries has (or beings like him have) a very different concept of time, or doesn't access memories normally. But it wasn't him calling then, was it? Or it was him at a later time and state, when the Tea Pot's smoke had gone black, after all, he later willingly recognizes Not-Cooper saying: "So you are Cooper." I originally took this to only communicate that Doppelgängers retain all knowledge and memories from the original, inculpating Good Cooper in a tragic way. Thinking about it, this might also re-contextualize something else: The meeting Mr C supposedly missed in New York might refer to an event in the future (he is "still" in Buckhorn) and not in the past, a read you'd have after he's shown in front of his(?) glass box.

Futureman

random thought, but is the area Twin Peaks is supposed to be set in, is there any link to nuclear bombs or nuclear testing? I'm guessing no as that was done in desert areas.

I wonder if the whole thing about the nuclear testing/mother/creation of Bob/etc was something they had in mind while creating the original series or if it was created for The Return?

random thought, but is the area Twin Peaks is supposed to be set in, is there any link to nuclear bombs or nuclear testing? I'm guessing no as that was done in desert areas.

I wonder if the whole thing about the nuclear testing/mother/creation of Bob/etc was something they had in mind while creating the original series or if it was created for The Return?

Read The Secret History : - )

liquidtmd

Banned
this season is going to go down in history as one of the greats, isn't it?

:')

For some, undoubtedly.

For me...it's tricky. The finale is going to have to stick the landing and I think when that hits, I'm going to have to do a rewatch of it.

It hit highs, it hit lows. I wasn't particularly a fan of episode 8 first time round and that kind of off kilter risk usually is up my street. I've found the payoff and eventual overview with Dougie solid but currently of the opinion it felt overlong.

It's been challenging however and it's lingered in my brain, in terms of positive and negative thoughts, far longer than other shows that have offered the same though. In a sea of disposable television (even some shows I've loved have been disposable), it has never, ever been that and that's probably praise enough in my book

It'll be interesting to see what happens after it's finished in terms of getting any more widespread recognition. I've been hesitant in recommending it to people while it's been airing, but assuming it doesn't entirely shit the bed in the finale, I'll be turning as many people as I can on to it.

Javier23

Banned
Read The Secret History : - )
There's so much about that book that seemed to hint at some big plot points in this season that never really arised, and some really weird retcons that have gone unexplained, that I don't know what to think about it anymore. And it very obviously clashes with the plot of the show at times. I'm no longer even sure about the referenced Mother being the Experiment. I'm no longer sure about anything, which is cool. Really need to watch the finale to reach any kind of conclusion.

May be speaking too soon but I'm happy that they haven't gone all Assassin's Creed/Deus Ex/Metal Gear Solid with the plotting to this season. The whole good secret organization vs. bad secret organization ruling the world from the shadows is a bit trite by now. Judging by the cover to Frost's next book it will certainly be covered and featured prominently as part of the backstory, but I'm happy that it's been left out for the most part (or entirely) from the show.

Lynch seemingly didn't even read the book. I sorta wonder how these two get along behind the scenes, and how they approach the creative process together with seemingly such different ideas and interests about the whole thing.

sphagnum

Banned

-Hastings and Ruth Davenport are investigating the "Zone" (White Lodge? Black Lodge?) out of personal interest, which eventually leads them to the the 2240 Sycamore address

The Zone is probably the purple world since it would be likely influenced by the book The Mauve Zone.

Linkin112

It hit highs, it hit lows. I wasn't particularly a fan of episode 8 first time round and that kind of off kilter risk usually is up my street.
Yeah, Episode 8 didn't hit me as much as it obviously did other people in here and I too enjoy risky stuff (Hell, I sat through all of Kuso. Episode 8 has nothing on that imo.)

My personal favorite part had nothing to do with the episode. My wife has a slight understanding of what Twin Peaks was through discussions with me and people referencing it on podcasts she listens to, but of course the first time she decides to hang out with me while I'm watching it, it was Episode 8. "What the fuck are you watching? This is Twin Peaks?"

Freddie reported something similar too. Waking up in his own bed after meeting the fireman. So yeah, could just have been some random teleportation gone wrong mistake sort of things.

Anyways, my wife wrote a poem.

It's pretty damn awesome, but you don't have to take my (probably biased) word for it. I've pasted it below.

There's no use 
Trying to write 
With a green gardening glove 
Fixed to my right hand 
Like skin 

So let's rock 

*snap* 

The crowd disperses  
Leaves the floor 
In front of the stage 

Empty 
For a dancer 
And the lights that surround her 
Our hearts surrounding her 
Our love for her  
A quarter of a century deep 
Had been locked up in a moment 
An explosion 
In the bank vault of our hearts 
Swallowed whole in our sleep 

But we're no longer holding our breath 
For that love to find a way out 
To snap out of this coma and 
Find us, find me 

I've only been a muffin for 25 years 
but I've always been Laura 

Find her. Find Laura. 

Take her from the trees 
Out of the gold casing of death 
We suffer everytime we say goodnight 

So instead of dying we heal 
We save this place and we save our hearts 

From the cold guild of gold 
From shovels and jumping men 

Save us from the trees  
And the prophecies of logs  
Held dearly by a lonely woman who listens well. 

Please, find her and save us, Hawk. 

So we can spin out and ask you 
To tell the truth under oath 
The judgment of the destroyer 
The experiment, your mother of abominations 
American made and fed equal parts 
Crude oil and hope. 
Drenched in lattes and blood  
Against the backdrop of a glass box 
That holds secrets like a diary holds memories 
Detailed and out of time. 

We ask over and over 
If you had so much sand 
Would you blow it up 
Light it up, drink it full 
To follow the path to 
Your childhood haunts 
To a tree in the woods 
Where owls are true to their word 
And good men gather  
Where their fathers used to take them 
To tell stories about kings 
In tiny palaces and dogs loose 
In municipal buildings 

Or would you keep it in your pocket 
Keep it to yourself 
Hidden in the echo of a drunk 
In the cell across the isle 
In a booth on the other side 
Of a bar you like to frequent 
Just so you can see the MC dance 
To invisible bands 
And watch young babes 
Turn into tough dames 
After an asshole in the booth beside them 
Lights up under the no smoking sign 
And sooty specters 
Leave a wide trail of blood and charcoal 
For the dying to follow 

We watch the path 
Wherever it takes us 
East, south, inside out 
Up two flights of stairs 
To a place that matters 
To a man that matters 
In the hearts of those 
Even though we cannot see him 
From those who pilgrimage in the footsteps 
Of men with blackened hearts 
And women with broken souls 

We watch the steps 
Of a stumbling fool 
Given rides and answers  
To his calls for help 
Given chocolate cake 
And the family he needed 
Son and brothers all 

Together, a family forms 
Around a table at a diner 
Music playing off the rooftops 
Of the nearby peaks 
The distant ramblings 
Of unrest on the wind 
To the pitch of a fork against  
An empty plate 
And a gunshot, a bullet  
Through the window  

The shattering of glass 
Full of vodka and tomato juice 
Unceremoniously poured 
And swallowed to keep inner demons 
At bay against the rising tide 
Of unnatural forces 

Sit where you were before. 

By the end will we know 
Who the tulpas are  
Or who created them?  
Will we trust our family 
And all the early endings 
Or turn back to accountants 
With questions of ownership? 

Do we trust the dancer 
As she sways through the lights 
Do we trust our ears yet? 
Is that music playing backwards 
Or are we finally falling? 

Falling. 

The golden glow is the mark of death 
And light created by a desire for more 
Against floral wallpaper in a little town 
In the Pacific Northwest 
with a population of about as many of us 
As are willing to stay 
In a little town called Twin Peaks. 

Linkin112

But the portal in South Dakota - at least when Gordon looked into it - led to the convenience store staircase.
I wonder if that means the Woodsmen are capable of hijacking portals to the Zone/White Lodge to redirect to the Black Lodge/Convenience Store. Because if that's where Bill and Ruth first met Briggs, I doubt it was a portal to the convenience store at that time.

PolishQ

I wonder if that means the Woodsmen are capable of hijacking portals to the Zone/White Lodge to redirect to the Black Lodge/Convenience Store. Because if that's where Bill and Ruth first met Briggs, I doubt it was a portal to the convenience store at that time.

If Jeffries is any indication, the Convenience Store is definitely a place where various entities can "hide out", so I could see Briggs being there. He also might have been there against his will.

By the way, I don't think it's the same as the Black Lodge, especially considering that Evil Cooper is doing everything he can to avoid going back into the Black Lodge, but he willingly enters the Convenience Store. If anything, it's a nexus/hub ... FWWM shows that you can go from the Convenience Store to the Black Lodge.

Would Lynch really do the "I'm the real Cooper, not him" scene with someone (Audrey or Diane) pointing a gun at them
Stay tuned

I doubt it, but I could see Mr C turning up first, he seems to have a pretty big head start. From what we've seen he won't fool anyone for long when he opens his mouth, but it might be the easiest way to get into the Sheriffs station without immediately having Hawk and Truman point a gun at him (though they should, knowing that there's two Coopers). Maybe he'll make a distraction so only Lucy and Andy have to deal with him.

Top Bottom