• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

Flipyap

This is damn fine. DAMN FINE. I'm pretty much on board with it, however, if that is truly the "official version" and Cooper and Laura "won" at the end, then goddamn if that isn't the most depressing, somber, tortuous, harrowing "victory" I've ever witnessed.
It would make much more sense if the reality in which the goofy ball punching sequence took place were the unofficial version of the events, since that's when the entire tone of the show changed into a farcical portrayal of a pulpy TV series episode. With Cooper observing it from outside, no less.

Blader

Eh, I don't know about that theory. I have a hard time believing the final message of both the finale and the season as a whole is, "and then Cooper and Laura destroyed ancient, eternal, fundamental evil." I feel like Judy is too abstract of a thing to be trapped in 'cages' and destroyed by existential 'bombs.' The final image of the show is Laura whispering a secret to a disturbed-looking Cooper, the moment that binds them together forever and damns their fates in both the original series and The Return. That just doesn't feel like a lasting image of triumph to me.

That was the best credits sequence of the entirety of The Return. Better than any Roadhouse segment.

I dunno, I loved the Veils/girl crawling & screaming/cut to the Dutchmans ending, and also Part 8's with the Woodsman walking into the desert.

Oh, and Audrey's Dream in reverse too.

Eh, I don't know about that theory. I have a hard time believing the final message of both the finale and the season as a whole is, "and then Cooper and Laura destroyed ancient, eternal, fundamental evil." I feel like Judy is too abstract of a thing to be trapped in 'cages' and destroyed by existential 'bombs.' The final image of the show is Laura whispering a secret to a disturbed-looking Cooper, the moment that binds them together forever and damns their fates in both the original series and The Return. That just doesn't feel like a lasting image of triumph to me.

I can listen to Lynch words as someone asks him about that theory: "completely wrong"

Blader

I can listen to Lynch words as someone asks him about that theory: "completely wrong"

MEewfQb.jpg

Addi

I find some elements in that theory intriguing, but there some weird conclusions made so it can work. The sound that we hear before Laura disappears is the evil one "that is in our house now" and Cooper was taking Laura to the white lodge anyway, doesn't make sense that it was the giant that made her disappear.

haha, I think it was Kyle MacLachlan in an interview who said the opposite, that if you told Lynch a theory he would say "You're absolutely right" and be completely honest when saying that.

Anyway, I was thinking about Judy's. Is there some clue there? Laura had worked at that place, meaning she had "worked for Judy". Now she was gone for three days though, escaped from Judy's.

I think it's wonderful that so many people are doing everything they can to carve out hope and victory from Part 18.

I just don't believe in it yet myself.

What I do believe, is that Cooper isn't lost. He achieves Laura's awakening, which he was obviously trying to do. We have no idea what happens next, what the next part of his plan is, if there even is a next part... but for everything he sacrifices, he achieves one last thing at the very least.

We spoke about electricity being a theme or being used in many of Lynch's projects a day or two ago. But it is kind of crazy how much imagery and symbolism he uses that seem to mean quite definite things throughout a lot of his works.

Blader

I think it's wonderful that so many people are doing everything they can to carve out hope and victory from Part 18.

I just don't believe in it yet myself.

What I do believe, is that Cooper isn't lost. He achieves Laura's awakening, which he was obviously trying to do. We have no idea what happens next, what the next part of his plan is, if there even is a next part... but for everything he sacrifices, he achieves one last thing at the very least.

It's weird, because I think Cooper technically 'lost' but I don't think he is a failure for having lost either. I feel like the message is that evil is pervasive and exists everywhere, at all times, and it's up to good people to do what they can to stand up to it. You'll never completely stamp it out, you'll never fully triumph over evil, but trying to do so is what keeps the world from being a fully evil place. If people didn't try, there'd be no hope; hope exists because people like Cooper keep it alive in righting wrongs, or at least trying to do so.

It's hard to articulate, but I feel like there's a good balance of optimism and cynicism in that, which feels apt to the show and Lynch's own worldview.

Solo

Just finished listening to the soundtrack (bought it and the score from Google Play). My standouts are "Shadow" by Chromatics, "Snake Eyes" by Trouble, "Wild West" by Lissie (loooove this one), "Out Of Sand" by Eddie Vedder, and of course, Julee Cruise's haunting "The World Spins".

Now onto the score!

EDIT: All the tracks are there on Google Play FYI.

Linkin112

Windswept (Reprise) is really good, though I obviously like the original version better. I'm just glad to finally have the Accident/Farewell Theme, been wanting that since it first played in the hit and run scene.

I'm still not rolling with the theory all the way, but as a top level, plot mechanics take on the season, I like the way it attempts to make sense of things. I do agree that the Judy points are the weakest part of it though, and ultimately too concrete a take on what Judy is or means to the universe of Twin Peaks.

Blader

James is holding out for a better deal with Spotify.

Just finished listening to the soundtrack (bought it and the score from Google Play). My standouts are "Shadow" by Chromatics, "Snake Eyes" by Trouble, "Wild West" by Lissie (loooove this one), "Out Of Sand" by Eddie Vedder, and of course, Julee Cruise's haunting "The World Spins".

Now onto the score!

EDIT: All the tracks are there on Google Play FYI.

Lissie performing at the Roadhouse was one of my biggest surprises of the season! I've been a fan of hers since her killer Pursuit of Happiness cover years ago.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Ended up buying it. Need James and Eddie Vedder

Edit: I love the addition of the Roadhouse performances in the show.

Solo

God, I hope we don't have to wait too long for the blu-ray.

Would stand to reason, with no 4th season looming any time soon to hold out for, that they'd want it out by Christmas. That's my hope anyway. If S4 were coming in like 2 years, they'd probably wait at least a year before releasing it for marketing purposes. But since that isn't the case, no real need to hold it back.

Solo

I own the Blu box set (which includes FWWM) and I just pre-ordered FWWM Criterion Blu, and I'll buy The Return Blu too, but I'm wondering.....is there a chance they release a mega Blu set with S1/S2/FWWM/TMP/The Return all in it? Or is there some licensing stuff between ABC and Showtime that would prevent such a thing?

Holy shit, so Rebekah Del Rio came in and recorded her song for Mulholland Dr. not even knowing if she would be in the movie. They used that first audition recording in the movie and that is what gave birth to the Silencio thing. Thats fucking nuts.

I own the Blu box set (which includes FWWM) and I just pre-ordered FWWM Criterion Blu, and I'll buy The Return Blu too, but I'm wondering.....is there a chance they release a mega Blu set with S1/S2/FWWM/TMP/The Return all in it? Or is there some licensing stuff between ABC and Showtime that would prevent such a thing?

The Complete Mystery box set is CBS / Paramount. So I imagine they'll just have square whatever they need to square with Paramount, as CBS own Showtime.

I've got the vinyls pre-ordered. Didn't know the CDs came out earlier. Thanks for the correction. Got to add to our Twin Peaks vinyl collection you know?

Most definitely. I heard in that Johnny Jewel interview some pages back, that they'll have the Owl Cave symbol etched into them this time. Really looking forward to listening to the whole thing front to back.

Solo

The Complete Mystery box set is CBS / Paramount. So I imagine they'll just have square whatever they need to square with Paramount, as CBS own Showtime.

Interesting. How is CBS linked to this when Twin Peaks aired on ABC? You'd think it would be ABC/Disney/Beuna Vista.

So what you're saying is that a new complete mystery Blu-ray set is basically 99% guaranteed.

Yeah, it's out digitally today, but physically on the 22nd. I got the mp3s from Amazon.

Bloody Spotify letting us down again :-(

Edit - ah got it... no Just You??? How will I woo the ladies on a Friday night now??

No Viva Las Vegas or Out of Sand either.

No American Woman remix on the score yet either. Spotify hates me confirmed.

Dan-o

As plagiarize said, the rights are owned by different entities, but there's always a chance that they can work something out, even if in a very limited run. Personally... I hope they don't. I don't want to re-buy S1, S2, and FWWM yet again. :)

Holy shit, so Rebekah Del Rio came in and recorded her song for Mulholland Dr. not even knowing if she would be in the movie. They used that first audition recording in the movie and that is what gave birth to the Silencio thing. Thats fucking nuts.
Yeah, I remember reading about that a few years back. One of my favorite stories regarding that film. Speaking of soundtracks that need to be re-released on vinyl... MD! The original pressing is pretty rare now.

And I agree with those who want LH on blu-ray. Dammit. That should have come before a re-release of FWWM.

As plagiarize said, the rights are owned by different entities, but there's always a chance that they can work something out, even if in a very limited run. Personally... I hope they don't. I don't want to re-buy S1, S2, and FWWM yet again. :)

Yeah, I remember reading about that a few years back. One of my favorite stories regarding that film. Speaking of soundtracks that need to be re-released on vinyl... MD! The original pressing is pretty rare now.

And I agree with those who want LH on blu-ray. Dammit. That should have come before a re-release of FWWM.

The MD soundtrack on vinyl would be absolutely wonderful. From the same interview I just watched, Lynch mentioned the theme was two separate things he asked Angelo to work on and ended up asking him to try and mesh the two tracks together, which resulted in the theme. Another interesting thing is Lynch would talk to him while he was playing piano and Angelo would play what he was taking from the words. If things didn't feel right they would start again and Lynch would change what he would say. I find it very fascinating.

But yeah, it had a phenomenal soundtrack. I feel like it even gets overlooked a bit in comparison to Twin Peaks' score. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGGoVD2bZPA

Blader

Interesting. How is CBS linked to this when Twin Peaks aired on ABC? You'd think it would be ABC/Disney/Beuna Vista.

So what you're saying is that a new complete mystery Blu-ray set is basically 99% guaranteed.

The original show was (co-)produced by Aaron Spelling's company, which was sold to Paramount and, ultimately, CBS. I don't think ABC was anything more than a temporary distributor.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Oh. That has to be it. Works for me.

What about Audrey?

Well, Audrey's arc is kind of the key to understanding it all; in fact it appears to be the primary purpose of her scenes within the story.

What do we learn from her scenes:

1. "Dreams" can be a cage. Audrey is trapped in a purgatorial loop stuck in the house with Charlie.

2. "Dreams" can be broken by a triggering moment. Her terror at the fight unexpectedly breaking out snaps her out of it, and she awakens to a new reality.

She is like the dreamer who dreams, and lives within the dream. But who is the dreamer?

The obvious answer being that its Audrey, but which is the real Audrey? How she sees herself in the situation with Charlie, or is it just her staring, confusedly into her own reflection in an all-white room?

Who is that Audrey? What's her story?

Square that against what the Log Lady says about there being some small fear in "letting go", and Hawk's calm agreement that death is just a change, not an end.

So really, there's not much to be feared but the unknown. So when the lights go out at the end, how terrible is that really?

The MD soundtrack on vinyl would be absolutely wonderful. From the same interview I just watched, Lynch mentioned the theme was two separate things he asked Angelo to work on and ended up asking him to try and mesh the two tracks together, which resulted in the theme. Another interesting thing is Lynch would talk to him while he was playing piano and Angelo would play what he was taking from the words. If things didn't feel right they would start again and Lynch would change what he would say. I find it very fascinating.

But yeah, it had a phenomenal soundtrack. I feel like it even gets overlooked a bit in comparison to Twin Peaks' score. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGGoVD2bZPA

I love the Lynch/Badalamenti process, it's a shame Angelo wasn't featured more heavily in the return.

Also, best midi-based coincidence ever.

Top Bottom