• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

Blader

It's funny, a lot of us speculated that when Cooper finally returned, even before the Dougie stuff started, that he wouldn't be the same person just because he would've been tormented in the Black Lodge for 25 years, and that that torment would would fuck him up psychologically and, for instance, make him way less cheery than he used to be. But who figured that what Cooper was being tormented by all those years was not his own imprisonment, but his inability to save Laura, and that his escape from the Lodge wouldn't produce a more psychologically damaged person but instead a person more driven to change time and space in order to save Laura.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Yeah, I was really attached to this idea of lost time and aging weighing heavily upon Coop, but it was nice to see him portrayed as damaged in a different and completely unexpected way, one which still fits with the original character.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny, a lot of us speculated that when Cooper finally returned, even before the Dougie stuff started, that he wouldn't be the same person just because he would've been tormented in the Black Lodge for 25 years, and that that torment would would fuck him up psychologically and, for instance, make him way less cheery than he used to be. But who figured that what Cooper was being tormented by all those years was not his own imprisonment, but his inability to save Laura, and that his escape from the Lodge wouldn't produce a more psychologically damaged person but instead a person more driven to change time and space in order to save Laura.
Lynch really nailed Cooper's return. As he woke up in hospital, it was nagging at the back of my mind how improbable it was to see the man exactly as he was in the old show, but I was too caught up in the triumph of the moment to care. I think it's because watching him slowly come back together as Dougie leads us to believe (or hope) that Cooper really could be built back up from scratch - as if those experiences were enough that they could bring him back like he never left. MacLachlan was uncanny in how he channelled the original performance.
His Richard Coop persona was much closer to how I imagine a Cooper that's spent 25 years in purgatory to behave.
Really well said, you echo a lot of what I think the overarching theme is. Furthermore, I think it's a message warning against the evil of the world and how we perceive it and deal with it. Really all we can do is strive to make our sphere of influence better and hope that the positivity carries forward. As a relevant example, we can't fight the concept of racism, just as we could never really have a war on terror or a war on drugs, these things are too abstract, and if we try and fight the concept we will lose, just as Coop I think ultimately can't really fight Judy, the concept of negativity.

As with Dougie making smaller changes to the people around him and bringing them contentment, so too should we strive to be better people and work on improving things for the people we directly have an influence on, whether that's being aware to treat the people we have contact with better, or standing up to injustice that we can directly stand up to.
That's very beautifully put. It's about how to make sense of life on earth and do our best despite living in the shadow of inexplicable evil.

This show was indescribably rich, with a depth of ideas and emotions that people will still be excavating it for years. I think the finale really elevates it to being, while not his most perfect, probably Lynch's overall greatest work.

thank you for that post, Krev. You put my thoughts on the show into words far better than I ever could.
Cheers.

Corpsepyre

Banned
So, my top 5 episodes of the season are below. Could change with more viewings, but here's how they are currently.

1. Part 8.
2. Part 16
3. Part 2
4. Part 17
5. Part 3

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
So is Sarah Palmer a tulp? Or did she became a shell for Judy because of the evil bob did to her family?
The latter, I believe.

I guess if we're doing top 5s:
1. 18
2. 17
3. 1
4. 8
5. 11
Bonus:
6: 7
7: 2
8: 16
9: 6
10: 15

Blader

So is Sarah Palmer a tulp? Or did she became a shell for Judy because of the evil bob did to her family?

Assuming she was the little girl in Part 8, Sarah has been a vessel for Judy the entire time. Which, in a weird way, would explain why Leland -- who had been a vessel for BOB since he was a child -- and Sarah became a couple in the first place. They were subconsciously drawn to each other's garmonbozia!

Re-watched the last two episodes along with some other scenes and episodes throughout the season. I just can't get this out of my head.

Solo

Now that I've come around to really like (maybe love?) Episode 18, Episode 12 remains the lone stinker for me. Every other episode I either really like or loved, but 12 was an absolute slog for me to get through, and I can't see it playing better on rewatch.

Still though, for a series to go 17 for 18? That's pretty amazing.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Now that I've come around to really like (maybe love?) Episode 18, Episode 12 remains the lone stinker for me. Every other episode I either really like or loved, but 12 was an absolute slog for me to get through, and I can't see it playing better on rewatch.

12 and 10 for me.

Zoe

Assuming she was the little girl in Part 8, Sarah has been a vessel for Judy the entire time. Which, in a weird way, would explain why Leland -- who had been a vessel for BOB since he was a child -- and Sarah became a couple in the first place. They were subconsciously drawn to each other's garmonbozia!

That's assuming the bug is the same thing as Judy. It looked like Judy was spewing out the eggs.

Addi

Lynch really nailed Cooper's return. As he woke up in hospital, it was nagging at the back of my mind how improbable it was to see the man exactly as he was in the old show, but I was too caught up in the triumph of the moment to care. I think it's because watching him slowly come back together as Dougie leads us to believe (or hope) that Cooper really could be built back up from scratch - as if those experiences were enough that they could bring him back like he never left. MacLachlan was uncanny in how he channelled the original performance.
His Richard Coop persona was much closer to how I imagine a Cooper that's spent 25 years in purgatory to behave.

One of the things we might tend to forget is how Cooper in purgatory, even though he grew older, had his life put on pause. He didn't experience the last 25 years with the rest of the world. Him coming out to the "real" Twin Peaks and him going to the parallel reality doesn't make much difference to him, both are extremely different. His question about which year he's in is as relevant as asking which world am I in. Twin Peaks in season 3 feels like a different place than in the first two seasons because it is. He only has a few things left to hold on to. That's why I don't necessarily see Cooper trying to save Laura as hubris, it's simply the only thing he has.

Edit:
Top 5 episodes:

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting choice for No.1
That's what motivated me to actually put together a top 5. I don't see many other people who loved it like I do, and I wanted to put my neck out for it. I think it's Lynch's greatest work.
I don't trust anyone who doesn't put episode 11 in their top 5.

I think that's my favorite episode of TP overall.
It's superb. My not including it initially was an accidental oversight when I shuffled my order around.

Solo

You just gave me the idea of doing a Top 5 OVERALL.....it's a much tougher venture:

1. Season 2 Episode 22 ("Beyond Life & Death")
2. The Return Part 17
3. Season 2 Episode 7 ("Lonely Souls")
4. The Return Part 8
5. The Return Part 11

That's an incredible episode. The scene with Gordon and the portal, the gunshot and screaming woman at the RR and the end with the cherry pie stand off.

18 out of 18 for me (although I understand why people feel less for part 12).

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
One of the things we might tend to forget is how Cooper in purgatory, even though he grew older, had his life put on pause. He didn't experience the last 25 years with the rest of the world. Him coming out to the "real" Twin Peaks and him going to the parallel reality doesn't make much difference to him, both are extremely different. His question about which year he's in is as relevant as asking which world am I in. Twin Peaks in season 3 feels like a different place than in the first two seasons because it is. He only has a few things left to hold on to. That's why I don't necessarily see Cooper trying to save Laura as hubris, it's simply the only thing he has.
Not so much hubris as the tragedy of being unable to face the current reality.
You just gave me the idea of doing a Top 5 OVERALL.....it's a much tougher venture:

1. Season 2 Episode 22 ("Beyond Life & Death")
2. The Return Part 17
3. Season 2 Episode 7 ("Lonely Souls")
4. The Return Part 8
5. The Return Part 11
Oh Jeez. Ok.

1. Season 3 Part 18
2. Season 2 Episode 7
3. Season 3 Part 17
4. Season 2 Episode 22
5. Season 3 Part 1, but it could also be Season 1 episode 1. Hard to tell. Then season 1 episode 3 and season 3 part 8.
I have a tendency to push as far as I can when I have to make choices for a list.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Dunno which episode exactly did what but i know the best episodes for me were 8 and 18. I think 8 is the most weird and abstract tv episode i have ever seen and 18 is one of the most beautiful episodes i know. Its Lynch as i love to see from him the most.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Dunno which episode exactly did what but i know the best episodes for me were 8 and 18. I think 8 is the most weird and abstract tv episode i have ever seen and 18 is one of the most beautiful episodes i know. Its Lynch as i love to see from him the most.
Those two episodes were Lynch doing only what he loves and is best at, with all of the fat and material that can drag his work down excised.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Just season 3 for me, as I haven't been back to the old show in years.

1. Episode 17: The past dictates the future.
2. Episode 18: What is your name?
3. Episode 16: No knock no doorbell.
4. Episode 11: There's fire where you're going.
5. Episode 8: Gotta light?

I don't think I "enjoyed" watching 8 and 18 as much as the other ones, but I think they are the ones I'll turn over again and again.

Phamit

Didn't think about that, I always assumed the bug was bob or someone like Bob and not a way for Judy to control a person and that the girl was Sarah. Would be another explanation why she can see Bob in the first season. Also an interesting theory.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I think 12. If have been more well received if it wasn't hyped falsely online so much. Plus we were expecting something earth shattering since it was called Let's Rock.

Slaythe

Well 8 was an experimental masterpiece, and 18 was the most solid direction he provided this season, it was impeccable work.

So I can share the sentiment.

I did not enjoy part 17 as much as you guys.

And while I hated episode 12, it was just a badly paced episode with questionable sequences.

Episode 5 is the worst for me. ( I think it's 5, the kid dying episode )

I just will never accept this garbage. It was awful.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Well 8 was an experimental masterpiece, and 18 was the most solid direction he provided this season, it was impeccable work.

So I can share the sentiment.

I did not enjoy part 17 as much as you guys.

And while I hated episode 12, it was just a badly paced episode with questionable sequences.

Episode 5 is the worst for me. ( I think it's 5, the kid dying episode )

I just will never accept this garbage. It was awful.

That would be 6 I think, or 7. 5 is where we are introduced to Richard in the bar.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Those two episodes were Lynch doing only what he loves and is best at, with all of the fat and material that can drag his work down excised.

Not really understand the last part or your post, sorry for that. Care to explain? :)

I liked 18 because it felt like one of his films.

Episode 8 didn't feel like Lynch a whole lot, felt a bit more Terrence Malick or Space Odyssey

There's a few other episodes I liked but 18 is the only one I'll really remember I think.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Not really understand the last part or your post, sorry for that. Care to explain? :)
They were just scenes of Lynch doing what he does best: tone and emotion were emphasised, abstraction was embraced. Lynch has stumbled when his work has been too plot focused, and here complex plotting or non-visual exposition is completely absent. They just Lynch doing what he does best, for the entire length of the episode. They were full length dreams.

Rien

Jelly Belly
They were just scenes of Lynch doing what he does best: tone and emotion were emphasised, abstraction was embraced. Lynch has stumbled when his work has been too plot focused, and here complex plotting or non-visual exposition is completely absent. They just Lynch doing what he does best, for the entire length of the episode. They were full length dreams.

Thanx buddy!! I agree. Episode 8 also gave me some Enter the Void vibes mixed with 2001 and for some strange reason Eric Dolpy's 'Hat and Beard'.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Episode 8 is still my favorite Peaks episode by far. It resonates with me the most because of the feelings it evokes.

hughesta

Banned
We never see the Bob ball come out, just protrude a bit.

I think a lot of people will come around on 12 on rewatch. Some really great stuff in that episode.

Sorbete

My number one top moment is the screaming lady in the car. I've watched it a bunch of times and still laugh every time. It is disturbing but humorous at the same time, which I think can also describe the series as a whole.

My man, one of the best things I've seen on screen. Still can't watch it without laughing

When the Arm in Episode 2 screamed "NONEXISTENCE", I originally thought it was an act of aggression, a sort of betrayal against Cooper for trying to leave, displacing him from his purpose for some nefarious reason.

Now, I don't wonder if it was a warning - an attempt to save Cooper from himself.

Slaythe

When the Arm in Episode 2 screamed "NONEXISTENCE", I originally thought it was an act of aggression, a sort of betrayal against Cooper for trying to leave, displacing him from his purpose for some nefarious reason.

Now, I don't wonder if it was a warning - an attempt to save Cooper from himself.

It was not the arm, it was the arm s doppelgänger.

And it's clear it had bad intentions. Sending Cooper to a certain death with Judy waiting for him. He was saved by Diane ( ? ).

g11

Baguettes with brie and butter still best Twin Peaks moment

Jerry always had the best lines.

"MARSHMALLOWS!

BEN.....WHERE ARE THOSE HICKORY STICKS?!"

Odessa is as close as the show ever got to the Trinity site (apart from the test itself).

As Lynch loves non-linearity, is it possible the events of Part 8 were Judy's reaction to Coop messing with the timeline?

If you remember (or have read TSHOTP) BOB is an evil that existed long before the Trinity test. So - Mother uses the Trinity test to re-enter the past to counter Coop's 'rescue' plan and BOB also takes the opportunity to re-enter the timeline. Their actions create the dimensions Coop/Richard finds himself in when he 'crosses over' with Diane.

This is why Laura keeps disappearing - just when Coop thinks he's changed the timeline in her favour, Judy goes back even further and alters it, so Laura isn't in Twin Peaks in the first place. In fact, she's now in Odessa under a different identity, where The Fireman sent her essence to counter the evil.

As he is an overseer who can monitor Judy, The Fireman already sent Laura's essence to Earth in the timeline and knowing where it will go, he can guide Coop to find it.

I'm sure there's holes in this but it seemed worth further investigation?

That actually seems somewhat plausible. Does that make the end of EP18 the second time that Judy catches up with them?

Starting to think the end might be good. Electricity was a bad influence on the Palmer's life, and at the end it went out. That creepy fan will no longer spin. Also, given the whole out of order thing, I'm starting to wonder if some scenes were set after the ending.

While I'm still not sure which scenes are which, I'm absolutely convinced that some of the TP scenes from earlier in the season are at the very least, in this new reality, and potentially post-EP18. There's so many scenes that upon first viewing just look like 'typical Lynch weirdness' or just throwaway scenes out of context, but in retrospect most likely are vignettes of the new reality Cooper created by going back in time to rescue Laura. The most obvious to me are Hawk in the woods early on looking for something or someone near Glastonbury Grove that is never explained or tied into anything else AFAIK, and certain Roadhouse scenes. Potentially the crazy lady screaming in traffic too. I don't have the time or honestly the mind for this stuff enough to check it all myself, but I'm beginning to wonder if Cooper going back in time isn't what fundamentally changes Twin Peaks to this new, bleaker version that we see throughout.

gun_haver

Putting aside every other element of this season for a second, I think the last scene is really excellent. Sure, it comes out of this season overall so you can't actually separate it, but there's just something about it in particular. The Palmer house, despite looking the same as it ever did, is just a really fucking creepy place in that scene. The low angle looking up into the lit, but apparently empty rooms. There's this feeling that something incredibly evil just continues to exist there, but you'll never quite see it fully show its face. Then the way the lights cut out with a boom, and the scream from Laura.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Putting aside every other element of this season for a second, I think the last scene is really excellent. Sure, it comes out of this season overall so you can't actually separate it, but there's just something about it in particular. The Palmer house, despite looking the same as it ever did, is just a really fucking creepy place in that scene. The low angle looking up into the lit, but apparently empty rooms. There's this feeling that something incredibly evil just continues to exist there, but you'll never quite see it fully show its face. Then the way the lights cut out with a boom, and the scream from Laura.

It really reminded me of the Elm Street house in those scenes.

rkknO7J.jpg

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
As an aside, both the soundtrack AND the score for The Return are out tomorrow......hype!

Pretty excited. I've been following good playlists on Spotify but it will have good to have the real thing since Eddie Vedders song isn't available at all.

Yamibito

Pre-ordered the score on vinyl, and I'm listening to it on Apple Music right now. Dark Space Low is so so so good. Might legitimately be my favourite song of the year, I want to live in it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There were cars, everywhere.

Top Bottom